My take on Pat' needs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

My take on Pat' needs

I have seen a lot of posts recently on the Patriots and their needs.  Here are mine

1.) A pass rusher.  Abraham or Elvis would be a great addition.

2.) More wide receiver competition.  They currently have only two legit receivers. They should resign Edleman and maybe Lloyd.  Sanders would be nice but could be expensive.  Nelson would give them a big target.

3.) OL help.  I would love to see Volmer back.  Sign him to  a one year prove it deal.

4.) Use the draft wisely.  They only have 5 picks in the draft.  Use them to draft young core players for the future.  Help on the DL or OL would make me happy.  Wilfork is getting up in age and could need some help.  Mankins is expensive in todays market for the OL.  I would be disappointed to see another CB or Safety drafted in the first three rounds.  A young WR would be nice but their history is not good at drafting WR.

I see a change in their offense this year.  More of a power offense.  They have 5 tight ends on the roster.  They have power backs and a power line.  I seem them doing more of a grind it out offense.  The defense is improving but still is a work in progress.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Re: My take on Pat' needs

Agree with all of the above. Pats also need Gronk, Hern, and Danny to stay healthy which based on the weight of the evidence maybe asking a lot!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to msteven's comment:

I have seen a lot of posts recently on the Patriots and their needs.  Here are mine

1.) A pass rusher.  Abraham or Elvis would be a great addition.

2.) More wide receiver competition.  They currently have only two legit receivers. They should resign Edleman and maybe Lloyd.  Sanders would be nice but could be expensive.  Nelson would give them a big target.

3.) OL help.  I would love to see Volmer back.  Sign him to  a one year prove it deal.

4.) Use the draft wisely.  They only have 5 picks in the draft.  Use them to draft young core players for the future.  Help on the DL or OL would make me happy.  Wilfork is getting up in age and could need some help.  Mankins is expensive in todays market for the OL.  I would be disappointed to see another CB or Safety drafted in the first three rounds.  A young WR would be nice but their history is not good at drafting WR.

I see a change in their offense this year.  More of a power offense.  They have 5 tight ends on the roster.  They have power backs and a power line.  I seem them doing more of a grind it out offense.  The defense is improving but still is a work in progress.

I agree with this but would also like another CB. I dont feel comfy with our trio of Talib, Arrington, Dennard. My fear is Talib will be in and out the lineup and Arrington will be forced to play more outside. The other thing Is im not sold on Arrington even being a great slot CB. Im in the minority here, but he DID struggle most of the year and fans are only remembering the last month when he played better.  Idealy I would a real # 1 CB, put Talib as the # 2, Dennard as the slot and Arrington as the dimeback but 4million sais he has a bigger role and I just dont understand bringing back anyone that was part of a 29th and 30th ranked pass D the last few years. As soon as Talib went down the secondary sprung a leak so do we really want to rely on ONE guy making it work who is a nucklehead with hammy and hip issues??

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Arringtons success is directly correlated to our pass rush as are all of our DBs, but more so with Arrington. I didnt mention the SB, I mentioned last year. He played well down the stretch but people forget how much he was attacked, even playing inside. All the Wr would do it change direction and Arrington would be lost looking for the ball while the WR caught it. 

So, BB better stop wasting time and sign up Abraham and Freeney and whoever else they can or his 4mill investment in arrington is gonna look pretty bad, IMO. Im hoping I dont have to be proven right on this and they get the pass rush help so our Dbs will look better. C.Jones was a nice add, but you cant rely on just ONE because if he goes down, you are screwed. It was nice to root for guys like T.Scott and J.Francis but when we played Bmore and their stout line, they were just jags and didnt do Squat! I want to see those 2 replaced with real pass rushers with pedigree. IN terms of Talib, he is nice guy to have back there but you cant count on him. Bring in M.Trufant atleast for insurance or something. If they grab a CB in the 1st, I'll feel a little better no doubt. I dont want to see D.Marting being trotted out in week 16 for the 1st time getting ready for the playoffs after sitting all year. Bring in some real quality depth if you are not breaking the bank on one player.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Arringtons success is directly correlated to our pass rush as are all of our DBs, but more so with Arrington. I didnt mention the SB, I mentioned last year. He played well down the stretch but people forget how much he was attacked, even playing inside. All the Wr would do it change direction and Arrington would be lost looking for the ball while the WR caught it. 

So, BB better stop wasting time and sign up Abraham and Freeney and whoever else they can or his 4mill investment in arrington is gonna look pretty bad, IMO. Im hoping I dont have to be proven right on this and they get the pass rush help so our Dbs will look better. C.Jones was a nice add, but you cant rely on just ONE because if he goes down, you are screwed. It was nice to root for guys like T.Scott and J.Francis but when we played Bmore and their stout line, they were just jags and didnt do Squat! I want to see those 2 replaced with real pass rushers with pedigree. IN terms of Talib, he is nice guy to have back there but you cant count on him. Bring in M.Trufant atleast for insurance or something. If they grab a CB in the 1st, I'll feel a little better no doubt. I dont want to see D.Marting being trotted out in week 16 for the 1st time getting ready for the playoffs after sitting all year. Bring in some real quality depth if you are not breaking the bank on one player.

Well, you could say that about any CB on any team, not just Arrington. Of course CBs look better with a pass rush that is consistent, but you were challening the idea that Arrington is very good in the slot, not the complement a good pass rush can do for a CB.

Agree on a vet on the cheap for insurance. I don't care who it is because like Wil Allen last year, the player probably won't make the team anyway. 

Terrence Shaw or Hank Poteat types are dimes and those need to be cheap. 

Exactly! I dont like Arrington....thats just me, I cant change the fact he is here and what Im saying is if he is gonna be here making 4 milly, you better protect him from beingt burnt with a better pass rush because Kyles best games came at the end of the year vs scrub afc east teams with weak Qbs. This is where you and I disagree. I put Arrington in the same category as Poteat. Over acheiving special teamer who took advantage of playing time after an injury but once the water settles, he is just an average depth player and I dont remember Poteat ever getting any real money but hey! maybe Arrington had other suitors and BB had to up the price and I get he knows the system and excels in zone, but Talib and Dennard are more man Cbs so how is this scheme gonna work??

The only thing above average about Kyles play is his tacking ability and even that is like, really?? Everyone should be able to tackle, but this the league we have now. When a CB tackles, he is considered a special player....smh

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Benkarkis. Show Benkarkis's posts

1.  Mega pass rusher (Jones still a work in progress).

2.  Wide Receiver or two.

3.  A linebacker who can cover tight ends and slots.

4.  Somebody to help Wilfork.

5.  Cornerback.

Now we got Ballard, Hernandez, Amendola, Gronk, Edelman?  Who is going to stay healthy, well at least it's TE/Slot depth.  I guess.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I agree we need another CB. In todays NFL you really need 3 starting caliber CB's and at least 1 legit backup. Right now the Pats have 3 CB's and one is only really good in the slot. Arrington is best in the slot and gets burnt badly when outside. I think last year helped prove that point when he looked absolutely horrible and was ranked as one of the worst CB's when playing outside but once the trade for Talib happened and Arrington was moved inside his play increased by leaps and bounds. Given Talib's never played a full season as a pro it would be unwise to go into the season with Arrington being your main outside backup. Imo given Talib is on a one year deal too, I'd like to get a young CB in the draft who they can bring up as the 4th CB to play outside. That gives him some playing time to season as a pro but also creates a replacement plan for Talib next year and adds quality depth. I'd also like to add another vet to the mix. Looking at the remaining players available, any outside remaining starters might be looking for more then the Pats can offer but someone like Quentin Jammer who wore down last season might be had for cheaper and in a sub type role could be a good addition as a 5th CB who can play either inside or out

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Sign Asomugha and Abraham and I am happy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I agree we need another CB. In todays NFL you really need 3 starting caliber CB's and at least 1 legit backup. Right now the Pats have 3 CB's and one is only really good in the slot. Arrington is best in the slot and gets burnt badly when outside. I think last year helped prove that point when he looked absolutely horrible and was ranked as one of the worst CB's when playing outside but once the trade for Talib happened and Arrington was moved inside his play increased by leaps and bounds. Given Talib's never played a full season as a pro it would be unwise to go into the season with Arrington being your main outside backup. Imo given Talib is on a one year deal too, I'd like to get a young CB in the draft who they can bring up as the 4th CB to play outside. That gives him some playing time to season as a pro but also creates a replacement plan for Talib next year and adds quality depth. I'd also like to add another vet to the mix. Looking at the remaining players available, any outside remaining starters might be looking for more then the Pats can offer but someone like Quentin Jammer who wore down last season might be had for cheaper and in a sub type role could be a good addition as a 5th CB who can play either inside or out

Well, we still have mccourty if we are in a pinch at cb. I would like to see mccourty stay put at safety, but with all the flux in the secondary, it's nice to have a guy like him around. Then of course is Ras. I predict this is the year he stays healthy, and we get to see what we have. I like the thought of bringing in jammer or another FA cb to add depth here. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Well, we still have mccourty if we are in a pinch at cb. I would like to see mccourty stay put at safety, but with all the flux in the secondary, it's nice to have a guy like him around. Then of course is Ras. I predict this is the year he stays healthy, and we get to see what we have. I like the thought of bringing in jammer or another FA cb to add depth here. 

I really don't like the idea of moving McCourty though. Other then McCourty, Gregory is the only FS on the roster. In addition McCourty is a much stronger FS then CB so you are essentially weakening 2 positions because of lack of depth. I'd much rather just build up some depth with a vet or draft pick then to have McCourty as the #1 backup at outside CB. To me moving McCourty to outside CB really isn't an option

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to alfred-e-bob-neumier's comment:

Back up CB

Situational Pass Rusher

Big boy DT to help out on rotation

WR's

Yep! Sounds good!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Good post, Eng. I agree with the uncertainty and Im hoping they can still sign another vet. with something left in the tank and a 1st day prospect to bring along because Talib is gonna wanna get paid next year and I dont want him longterm if he is gonna break the bank.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

I really don't like the idea of moving McCourty though. Other then McCourty, Gregory is the only FS on the roster. In addition McCourty is a much stronger FS then CB so you are essentially weakening 2 positions because of lack of depth. I'd much rather just build up some depth with a vet or draft pick then to have McCourty as the #1 backup at outside CB. To me moving McCourty to outside CB really isn't an option

I agree..however, with the lack of picks in the draft and holes to fill, and unsure if bb makes any other signifant moves in FA, this could be a backup plan which bb himself has instituted in the past. We have seen it play out regardless if we agree or disagree. Bb has used mccourty in this way. I think bb has to add amother WR or cb via FA. Otherthose his hands are somewhat tied to draft for both positions and he gets stuck in a situation where he might have to use mccourty in this less than optimal way.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Benkarkis' comment:

1.  Mega pass rusher (Jones still a work in progress).

2.  Wide Receiver or two.

3.  A linebacker who can cover tight ends and slots.

4.  Somebody to help Wilfork.

5.  Cornerback.

Now we got Ballard, Hernandez, Amendola, Gronk, Edelman?  Who is going to stay healthy, well at least it's TE/Slot depth.  I guess.

Reverse your order and we are in complete alignment

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

WR, WR, Vollmer or another OL, CB, DL

I'm guessing still have about $12 mill left to spend (not including money set aside for the draft) Need to dump one TE, too many in that position.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I'm guessing still have about $12 mill left to spend (not including money set aside for the draft) Need to dump one TE, too many in that position.

I've read on a few sites that its more like 6-7 mil after draft, bonuses and in season wiggle room. Either way it is getting tighter.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Gravelten4's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

I've read on a few sites that its more like 6-7 mil after draft, bonuses and in season wiggle room. Either way it is getting tighter.

I don't think it's that low.

I believe this site is pretty close.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/cap-hit/

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

As of now are the Pats better then they were last season?  Not on offense, still need a couple WR's and another OL (Vollmer).

On D, a slight improvement.  Talib is back but they had him last season.  Wilson is new and a good addition but will he be a fulltime player?

Kick return has improved.

Still a long time to go before they take the field but they need to make some serious moves between now and then. 

Sections
Shortcuts