My takes from the game tonight

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

My takes from the game tonight

I was at the game tonight got tics on 11 row 40 yard line, not that there was much to see.

Couldn't help but notice how bad Bequette played, he just straight up can't set the edge, he basically is all over the field but doesn't do anything, I only saw him make on tackle all game.

Dane Fletcher was an absolute beast out there, I can see way the pats are so high on him.  He was constantly applying pressure when he rushed, didn't notice his coverage skills, looked good against the run.

I thought Harmon showed good physicallity 

I had never even heard of wynn b4 the game, he's kinda a hybrid of speed and size, I thought he ran hard, hit the hole quick and made some good yards after contact including the touchdown where the former BC LB Herlitz hit him pretty good at the 1 and he still made it in.

People were kinda booing tebow before his TD throw which I thought at least this game was unfair, the first 2 drives he had the ball the Oline screwed him, he had no time to do anything. He created the time to throw the ball when he totally missed ballard, he still totally missed ballard, that was pretty ugly.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: My takes from the game tonight

In response to quinzpatsfan's comment:

I was at the game tonight got tics on 11 row 40 yard line, not that there was much to see.

Couldn't help but notice how bad Bequette played, he just straight up can't set the edge, he basically is all over the field but doesn't do anything, I only saw him make on tackle all game.

Dane Fletcher was an absolute beast out there, I can see way the pats are so high on him.  He was constantly applying pressure when he rushed, didn't notice his coverage skills, looked good against the run.

I had never even heard of wynn b4 the game, he's kinda a hybrid of speed and size, I thought he ran hard, hit the hole quick and made some good yards after contact including the touchdown where the former BC LB Herlitz hit him pretty good at the 1 and he still made it in.

People were kinda booing tebow before his TD throw which I thought at least this game was unfair, the first 2 drives he had the ball the Oline screwed him, he had no time to do anything. He created the time to throw the ball when he totally missed ballard, he still totally missed ballard, that was pretty ugly.

Thanks for the recap. Fuaria showed s on the replay that Ballard stopped running. He gave up on the play. That ball was going to hit Ballard in stride for a TD IMO. Didn't help Ballards case of making this team. I think his blocking will earn him the spot but Fells, suds, and Hoomy might just beat him out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Teblows

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I like what I'm seeing from the young receivers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Thanks for the recap. Fuaria showed s on the replay that Ballard stopped running. He gave up on the play. That ball was going to hit Ballard in stride for a TD IMO. Didn't help Ballards case of making this team. I think his blocking will earn him the spot but Fells, suds, and Hoomy might just beat him out.

Seriously?  Man, that's too bad. Tebow didn't even give him the evil eye.  No wonder Ballard was kind of laughing, he must have been a bit embarrassed.  It is a bit painful to watch Ballard run. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I thought Buchanan was the biggest standout. I hope he has some of that pass rush juice this year. We need it bad.

The rookie WRs, especially Thompkins, looked solid, especially for young guys. BUt Thompkins in particular looks like he has the talents of a Deon Branch. Good all around WR, not speed but decent speed, smart route runner, able to get the bit of separation, makes the catch... tough. Good and smart and tough. He is as solid as a starting veteran.

Cannon looked like he was not working hard enough on too many plays. I was upset he did not try to dominate but instead looked like he was taking it easy. If I were a coach I would be upset with the guy and make sure he knew.

Mallet looked better but not good enough. Especially on that pass in the end zone.

Tebow looked horrible. How many sacks and interceptions and just ugly badly thrown passes does this guy have to make before someone finally says "I knew a QB once. TT is no QB".

Did not like the constant DO NOT LOOK BACK FOR THE FOOTBALL style this team continues to use. At times they looked pitiful. How do you make Painter look like an NFL QB? How?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Though I agree Ballard stopped running it still wouldn't have been an easy catch. That wasn't the best throw and wasn't a sure catch by any means from where it landed. Anything past 10 yrds Tebow had trouble with the accuracy. He was doctor jeckle and mr hyde. He'd make a great throw then make a bad one. The 2 TD passes weren't the best passes, one high and behind the receiver (thankfully the CB fell down) and the other over the head of the CB causing the receiver to have to leap over the CB to make the play when if Tebow went inside WR shoulder would had same result but much easier catch to make and would give the CB no chance for a jump ball if he turned his head. Overall it was Tebow's best performance of the preseason so far but compared to most QBs it was a mediocre performance I'd expect from someone just coming out of college.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Did you notice how A. Wilson looked? They kept commenting on it was a bad sign he was out there in a 4th preseason game (which I agree). He didn't seem to make an impact either way from what I saw - I want to say he couldn't get to the sideline on a special teams play to make a tackle, but other than that I didn't really notice him once again.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

You say Bequette looked really bad out there but Reiss says he had a very good game and may have helped himself make the team?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LuvsThosePats. Show LuvsThosePats's posts

Mallett is not getting the job done as a back-up.  He is not an accurate passer and this team will be in trouble if it has to rely on him to win games.  He's like Christian Ponder.  We badly need a better back-up QB.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to LuvsThosePats' comment:

Mallett is not getting the job done as a back-up.  He is not an accurate passer and this team will be in trouble if it has to rely on him to win games.  He's like Christian Ponder.  We badly need a better back-up QB.

But what team wouldn't be in trouble if they lost their starter? (well other than Buf and Jets only because their starters are so bad). Generally backups just aren't that good and I'd put Mallett up against most backups in the league right now

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The thing that makes Mallet so hard to judge is that he looks great on about three out of four plays, but he can't seem to get past having that bad fourth play where he just throws an inaccurate pass or one with the wrong touch on it.  I thought he did a great job finding the open receiver, avoiding the rush, and (often) making very good throws.  But then he kept having plays where he overthrew, underthrew, or just missed his target. He's got to get more consistent.  Maybe with more playing time that would come, but I worry this is just who he is.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

The thing that makes Mallet so hard to judge is that he looks great on about three out of four plays, but he can't seem to get past having that bad fourth play where he just throws an inaccurate pass or one with the wrong touch on it.  I thought he did a great job finding the open receiver, avoiding the rush, and (often) making very good throws.  But then he kept having plays where he overthrew, underthrew, or just missed his target. He's got to get more consistent.  Maybe with more playing time that would come, but I worry this is just who he is.  

+1, very good post. Hopefully we won't ever have to find out but Cassel was the same way. It's one of those things, when he starts to get into a groove he looks good but he never gets more than a couple quarters every other pregame to get into that groove

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:

I like what I'm seeing from the young receivers.

absolutely, altho I think some fans are being to hard on Dobson for not fighting for air balls (or not knocking ball out of defender's hands). IMO, that comes with coaching him up, and real-time game experience.  I understand what they're saying, but Dobson is a rookie. Most rookies are not expected to contribute much their first year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Seriously?  Man, that's too bad. Tebow didn't even give him the evil eye.  No wonder Ballard was kind of laughing, he must have been a bit embarrassed.  It is a bit painful to watch Ballard run

which begs the question as to whether it's worth keeping Ballard simply for blocking. Hooman can block, plus, he has done a decent job catching when thrown his way.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

i was there also and have to agree with you about Bequette. He just isn't stong enough at the point of attack.

The one guy you didn't mention and would be interested in your take  would be Beuaharnais. I thought the kid played well last night was never out of position and seemed to look like he was in control. I think they may have an inetresting decision on this kid, at the least possibly PS.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

right now, the choice for backup is Mallett or Tebow. Even after last night's game, Mallett still has the #2 spot. If Tebow makes the cut, will he make enough progress over the course of the year to make Mallett expendable as a trade?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I haven't had the chance to rewatch the games and focus on Beauharnais, but when I have watched him I kind of like him.  I actually think he has a very good chance of making the 53 man roster.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

I thought Buchanan was the biggest standout. I hope he has some of that pass rush juice this year. We need it bad.

The rookie WRs, especially Thompkins, looked solid, especially for young guys. BUt Thompkins in particular looks like he has the talents of a Deon Branch. Good all around WR, not speed but decent speed, smart route runner, able to get the bit of separation, makes the catch... tough. Good and smart and tough. He is as solid as a starting veteran.

Cannon looked like he was not working hard enough on too many plays. I was upset he did not try to dominate but instead looked like he was taking it easy. If I were a coach I would be upset with the guy and make sure he knew.

Mallet looked better but not good enough. Especially on that pass in the end zone.

Tebow looked horrible. How many sacks and interceptions and just ugly badly thrown passes does this guy have to make before someone finally says "I knew a QB once. TT is no QB".

Did not like the constant DO NOT LOOK BACK FOR THE FOOTBALL style this team continues to use. At times they looked pitiful. How do you make Painter look like an NFL QB? How?

I agree about Buchanan, welcome to the NFL kid!! He could be a force with an engine like that.

I thought the throw to Dobson in the endzone was a horrible throw, and coaching him up to deflect the interception is doable.

No sure what people expect from Mallet. He's a back-up, and it seems like people are looking for starter like numbers from this kid. A little work on his touch passes, and this kid will be fine.

Although some DBs don't look back, I saw Cole make a great play on a pass deflection, and they even replayed him looking back. This kid will make the team.

Teblow is Teblow....he still sucks as a QB. He's a likeable person, but will never be a great NFL QB....he just doesn't have the throwing skills.....nor will he ever. Total waste of a roster spot if he makes it IMO.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LuvsThosePats. Show LuvsThosePats's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

right now, the choice for backup is Mallett or Tebow. Even after last night's game, Mallett still has the #2 spot. If Tebow makes the cut, will he make enough progress over the course of the year to make Mallett expendable as a trade?

response:

My comment on Mallett was not in relation to Tebow or anyone else on our roster - just an observation about Mallett's performance by itself.  I think the team needs to think about drafting another QB next year to be the QB of the future or the back-up, because Mallett is deficient.  I can't say anything about Tebow's ability to develop -- he doesn't look any good either, but the way Mallett looks, the staff may be saying, "what's the difference, really?  We lose with either one of them."

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

THe Pats looked atrocious on special teams. While I acknowledge that Edelman and Slater (to normally good ST players) did not play I sincerely hope that some of the second and third string D players can tighten it up on STs.

Mallett Looked okay. He is just a back-up and that endzone fade for an INT was on MC Daniels (terrible call on 2nd and 6). With a rookie WR does Brady even make that play? Name five back ups that can make that play. He is what he is accurate at times (slant between 2 DBs) with some arm strength (far too many overthrows). Could be game manager type if Mc Daniels ever decides to run the ball more than 15 times a game.

Winn got some tough yards. It is almost too bad that the Pats have so much depth at RB.

Could easily see Buchanen rounding out to be a decent situational pass rusher, but he is clearly still developing. Great production in ore-season from 7th rounder.

LOgan Ryan looks like solid tackler and oddly enough Cole made some good plays, but still got burnt a couple of times. The secondary is not going to get an INT every time, but I did see some solid tackles and passes defensed. Eli had what four drives against the Pats 2nd stringers and one TD , not great but still very encouraging.

The last game of the pre-season is about essentially three things 1) evaluating the players before the final cuts are made 2) Not getting any key players injured (Wilfork, Brady, Mayo and Mc Courty all out). 3) Giving the fans a taste before the real season starts.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

Eli had what four drives against the Pats 2nd stringers and one TD , not great but still very encouraging.

That is what impressed me the 2nd string  guys held their own agains the starters for the giants

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

response:

My comment on Mallett was not in relation to Tebow or anyone else on our roster - just an observation about Mallett's performance by itself.  I think the team needs to think about drafting another QB next year to be the QB of the future or the back-up, because Mallett is deficient.  I can't say anything about Tebow's ability to develop -- he doesn't look any good either, but the way Mallett looks, the staff may be saying, "what's the difference, really?  We lose with either one of them."

His contract expires at the end of the 2014 season, so, it would make sense to draft another QB or pick a veteran up by that time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

Seriously?  Man, that's too bad. Tebow didn't even give him the evil eye.  No wonder Ballard was kind of laughing, he must have been a bit embarrassed.  It is a bit painful to watch Ballard run. 

[/QUOTE]

Totally agree tfb...  I keep having that SB flshback of Ballard buckling over trying to run on his sketchy knees.  He's a big body to support the pounding of running on turf.... I dunno....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Totally agree tfb...  I keep having that SB flshback of Ballard buckling over trying to run on his sketchy knees.  He's a big body to support the pounding of running on turf.... I dunno....

[/QUOTE]

Don't get me going about Ballard running on the sideline testing his knee only to fall over during the Super Bowl.  I'm going to hell for LMAO when they showed that during the Super Bowl TV broadcast.  I was on the floor laughing. I have no idea why and it sucks for any player to get hurt, especially in the SB, but it struck me as funny at the time.

Sections
Shortcuts