My theory on the bodden cut

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

My theory on the bodden cut

they need cap space to extend either welker or mayo.
    they probably asked bodden to take a pay cut and he refused

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

Re: My theory on the bodden cut

very good theory

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Releasing Bodden to waivers doesn't save them money if he clears waivers.

So that's unlikely.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

My Theory is moving Wilfork to his spot, therefore didn't need him any longer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

He was probally B-ing like a little UD6 in the locker room about playing time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from paesan59. Show paesan59's posts

Needed to clear a roster spot for one of the 3 players that came off the PUP list.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

IMO it's a number of things but cap space isn't an issue. We are so far under the cap it doesn't matter at this point for this year. For future years yes but then why not release him after this year.

What I think it was:

• Bodden has had a number of injures this year - Those injures have limited his role and ability on the field. With last years injury side lining him all last year there was just to much risk that he could remain an asset on the field
    • Moldin has more upside in BB's eye - Bodden had a limited role on the field and limited effectiveness maybe he couldn't beat out Moldin any longer for the job. Moldin has a higher upside with more potential but please don't mistake that as I'm saying Moldin is a starter
    • Need room for players coming off pup - No teams secondary has been great this year, including Phi's secondary of pro-bowlers. BB might have realized getting pressure on QB's is more important then the secondary (oddly enough you'd think he'd know this given our 03' and 04' D's). With Vereen non-existent and our OL still weak Cannon, Faulk, Deadrick, or Brace could potentially fill bigger roles on the team.
    • Bodden asked for it - Reports are that he was unhappy playing in the slot. Now this doesn't mean Bodden was a bad locker room guy but with a combo of the above and BB not wanting an unhappy camper pouting in a weak secondary he decided it was best to part ways.
    Still I would have liked to see BB try him out at the FS spot. Then again I'm not in BB's office and who knows, maybe B did make that an option and Bodden refused saying he was only a CB.

But, I understand your logic and it's a pretty good theory

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

He played like pure junk for a veteran.

No production 3 string CB = CUT

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

To be sure, more than reasons expressed in this article....
    Someone will grab him....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: My theory on the bodden cut:
    [QUOTE]To be sure, more than reasons expressed in this article.... Someone will grab him....
    Posted by threejak[/QUOTE]

yeah for sure maybe Bears

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I'm not sure how cutting one of the only proven vets in an already porous secondary is going to make us better? I know Bodden wasn't playing up to par but neither was Mccourty, Molden,Sergio Brown,josh Barret,or any of the other warm bodies in the secondary. Poor Ras I can't even get on the field.

I also remember Bodden would have had a few pics in limited time if not for the club he was using for a hand in the 1st few games.

There is a stat floating around about 22 pass att's toward Bodden with 12 completions. I'd be interested in seeing Mccourty's or other CB's stats like that for comparison.

Am I the only one here who thinks that giving up 56% of the passes thrown toward you is about normal for a CB? I mean QB's average over 60% pass completions so.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I think he just Sucked and BB thought he was hurting the team to the point that his only option was to release the dude and move in a different direction to help improve the team.

That's what I'm thinking happened.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

They paid him to be a #1, but he played like #2.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

Based on what news is out there right now - it look like Bodden got cut because he was dissatisfied with his role in the defense and complained to BB about it - this situation is looking similar to what happened with Moss last year - only Bodden's complaints are a lot less public

It isn't in BB repertoire to bash a player on the way out - so we aren't going to hear the story here unless Bodden decides to tell it

BB is consistent on personnel issues like this - if you aren't a team player you won't be on the roster 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]Based on what news is out there right now - it look like Bodden got cut because he was dissatisfied with his role in the defense and complained to BB about it - this situation is looking similar to what happened with Moss last year - only Bodden's complaints are a lot less public It isn't in BB repertoire to bash a player on the way out - so we aren't going to hear the story here unless Bodden decides to tell it BB is consistent on personnel issues like this - if you aren't a team player you won't be on the roster 
    Posted by qball369[/QUOTE]

Yeah I just read a similar story. Dowling started over him the 1st 2 weeks and Arington the last 4. Bodden wasn't happy and now he is gone. You can't fault coach for that, if a guy isn't happy he's out, but at the same time I don't see how this move will help this secondary.

I also think injury played into it. He not only missed all of last year but didn't see the field a lot in training camp,pre season,missed a game already with the groin and played with a cast on his hand. His agent can say he is healthy all he wants but it doesn't seem to be the case.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I think there is more to it then just making room for PUP guys.  Theres a few other on the roster who don't play or who play very little that could have been released.  I think Bodden didn't like his role with the Patriots, did not live up to expectations this season, injuries, I think all these played roles with why he is now gone.  I still hope BB has a big surprise for us at this spot in the coming weeks ahead.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not sure how cutting one of the only proven vets in an already porous secondary is going to make us better? I know Bodden wasn't playing up to par but neither was Mccourty, Molden,Sergio Brown,josh Barret,or any of the other warm bodies in the secondary. Poor Ras I can't even get on the field. I also remember Bodden would have had a few pics in limited time if not for the club he was using for a hand in the 1st few games. There is a stat floating around about 22 pass att's toward Bodden with 12 completions. I'd be interested in seeing Mccourty's or other CB's stats like that for comparison. Am I the only one here who thinks that giving up 56% of the passes thrown toward you is about normal for a CB? I mean QB's average over 60% pass completions so.....
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the good one's average over 60%. And most of those guys make that up in short yardage, i.e., behind the line of scrimmage and out to the five. 

Bodden's numbers were probably actually better in some categories than McCourty's ... but McCourty was playing against the other team's top WR. As soon as he was released I posted that he was doing poorly against the third and fourth best WR the other team had. 

And it most likely makes NE better by clearing a roster spot for a DT while allowing Molden to play that CB at about the same level and play special teams. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My theory on the bodden cut : Yeah, the good one's average over 60%. And most of those guys make that up in short yardage, i.e., behind the line of scrimmage and out to the five.  Bodden's numbers were probably actually better in some categories than McCourty's ... but McCourty was playing against the other team's top WR. As soon as he was released I posted that he was doing poorly against the third and fourth best WR the other team had.  And it most likely makes NE better by clearing a roster spot for a DT while allowing Molden to play that CB at about the same level and play special teams. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

You mean good Qbs are over 60%? Do you know if any of these websites provide CB completion % allowed? I see they posted Bodden's numbers, I wonder if they keep a running total for all players?

Anyway, does allowing 56% completion for a CB sound high to you? I don't think it sounds bad but don't have the numbers to base it on.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]I think he just Sucked and BB thought he was hurting the team to the point that his only option was to release the dude and move in a different direction to help improve the team. That's what I'm thinking happened.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

The truth

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

It looks to be about freeing up a roster spot.