My theory on the bodden cut

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: My theory on the bodden cut

In Response to Re: My theory on the bodden cut:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: My theory on the bodden cut : Your 2nd bullet point is tied to money.  If Molden is almost as effective, as effective or BETTER than Bodden in their eyes, Molden is a guy you are paying a veteran minimum AND a guy you basically pencil in for next year on your roster, or at least someone you want to come in and be a body in camp. Cutting Bodden loose now, clears his 3rd year of his deal and you invest in Molden.  So, if that is the case, why not give Molden the reps now and get him more acclimated to what this D does? It appeared Molden looked comfortable given the snaps he played (no confusion, delay to the ball, or fundamental mistakes, etc), so this could be a yough movement option simply due to Molden's talent. I still think it's a mistake because it's not like this CB position is stronger now. It's weaker and thinner unless A Josh Victorian or Sterling Moore are also somehow very good here. Tossing out a quality RCB or slot/star player for a move on principle, money reasons and/or to avoid a possible locker room distraction is still a major risk here.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

It's tied to production not necessarily money. If Moldin gives you the same production but is younger and less injury risk then you keep Moldin and dump Bodden. no money involved there until next year. But, dumping him now saves you no cap space and doesn't affect you for funds this year. You could dump him the day after the SB and still save about the same amount of money. That's why I don't think money was a factor in the decision to dump him right now as apposed to at the end of the season

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]IMO it's a number of things but cap space isn't an issue. We are so far under the cap it doesn't matter at this point for this year. For future years yes but then why not release him after this year. What I think it was: Bodden has had a number of injures this year - Those injures have limited his role and ability on the field. With last years injury side lining him all last year there was just to much risk that he could remain an asset on the field Moldin has more upside in BB's eye - Bodden had a limited role on the field and limited effectiveness maybe he couldn't beat out Moldin any longer for the job. Moldin has a higher upside with more potential but please don't mistake that as I'm saying Moldin is a starter Need room for players coming off pup - No teams secondary has been great this year, including Phi's secondary of pro-bowlers. BB might have realized getting pressure on QB's is more important then the secondary (oddly enough you'd think he'd know this given our 03' and 04' D's). With Vereen non-existent and our OL still weak Cannon, Faulk, Deadrick, or Brace could potentially fill bigger roles on the team. Bodden asked for it - Reports are that he was unhappy playing in the slot. Now this doesn't mean Bodden was a bad locker room guy but with a combo of the above and BB not wanting an unhappy camper pouting in a weak secondary he decided it was best to part ways. Still I would have liked to see BB try him out at the FS spot. Then again I'm not in BB's office and who knows, maybe B did make that an option and Bodden refused saying he was only a CB. But, I understand your logic and it's a pretty good theory
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

His original theory makes no sense, since the Pats have no intentions of talking contract with any player, in the middle of a season. Think about it. All that would do is to create a distraction. 

On the other hand, your points seem to be well taken. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My theory on the bodden cut : Agree. Some are total frauds on this topic. They claim he was "awful" or he "stunk" and these fans clearly don't watch these games, or at least the same ones we do. If he was awful than McCourty was super-awful for much of the early part of this season. Has anyone even come out and told us what TD Bodden allowed this year? Serious question.  He's listed as giving up 1 and I can't remember when that was. Fact of the matter is, Bodden is a very good tackler, battled through this recent groin injury and cotntributed.  There are 3 games where he played very well this year and he was inactive for 1. Obviously, you want more for a guy we all know is capable of more, but it's beyond surprising he didn't want to be here and NE didn't want him here, apparently. 24 hours later, still a total headscratcher.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]
     I was one of those who thought he was awful this year but then I was accused by some know-it-all of not watching the games. Maybe I was watching the same games as BB and you were taking a break for more nachos.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My theory on the bodden cut :  I was one of those who thought he was awful this year but then I was accused by some know-it-all of not watching the games. Maybe I was watching the same games as BB and you were taking a break for more nachos.
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

Just be grateful you weren't called a pink hat.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My theory on the bodden cut : You mean good Qbs are over 60%? Do you know if any of these websites provide CB completion % allowed? I see they posted Bodden's numbers, I wonder if they keep a running total for all players? Anyway, does allowing 56% completion for a CB sound high to you? I don't think it sounds bad but don't have the numbers to base it on.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

My guess is just outside the top ten? I just base that on the fact that most QBs with good completion percentages fatten up with 75%+ inside 10 and 5 yards. 

But using a whole team's stats as a gauge overlooks the fact that your third and fourth corner play the third and fourth WR. 

Given that Bodden doesn't play outside anymore, because BB bumped him in, and when he has played outside this season (against Buffalo for a few plays) he was beaten badly, and he is facing mediocre competition, it seems like bad numbers. Really, third or fourth corner numbers. 

Hence, the move. Molden plays special teams as well. 

But this also reduces 'play' to skill plays that show up. He has also missed a handful of tackles, which is extremely unlike him. Even in his mediocre seasons, he was always a decent tackler for a corner. 

Furthermore, BB, really coaches, rely on players to 'be in position' and we don't know how well he was executing there. You could actually not have the ball thrown in your direction and still make a big mistake that the QB just didn't pick up. 

If Molden is much worse than that, and Bodden lights it up somewhere else, then whatever, another miss. The CB shuffle NE is going through here is starting to remind me a little of the shortstop situation with the Red Sox. LOL. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]I think he just Sucked and BB thought he was hurting the team to the point that his only option was to release the dude and move in a different direction to help improve the team. That's what I'm thinking happened.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Right on.  And then his agent put some lame-a** spin on it, like "Bodden sat down with BB and they both agreed it was time to move in a different direction."  The same bullflop Ty Warren said when he got canned.  BB is moving in a different direction alright - away from players that s*ck.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

how do you explain the timing of the move

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]how do you explain the timing of the move
    Posted by patthepatriot666[/QUOTE]

Well, they added Molden. Dowling was practicing. The timing was not that questionable. 

Moving Dowling to IR in the same 24 hour span, though, makes the timing seem odd now though. They are likely looking at the paperwork for Dowling's move while they are looking at Bodden. So it isn't like anything really changed in that short a time span.  

But the timing is strange unless the two JAG corners they signed have already impressed the team brass. At least Bodden knew the system, even if he had been demoted to fourth corner.

Or Maybe BB just saw 'enough' of half his DB crew and decided to basically clean house again in midseason? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Inexplicable at best. Somewhere Big Ben and Mike Wallace are popping open champagne bottles.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Why would it be money issue of a cut in the middle of the season? They could just cut at the end of season and free up room for signings. 

It's pretty obvious that it was indeed another locker room issue and I'm sure more details about the cut will come out in the next couple of weeks. 

BB has really cleaned house this year which is putting them in a tough position. Should Arrington get hurt we will have problems yet again at corner. Teams are also going to be tempted to put a lot of wide outs on the field to take advantage of how thin we are. 

In hindsite, we should have held Butler or Wilhite, and we should have kept Sanders knowing the situation we would be in right now. 

Looks like we will be searching the junkyard again for a couple of corners. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Is it really hard to figure out he didn't want to play the slot, complained and is now gone so they mutually agreed it's better to let him go. Anyone who thinks he was the worst corner on the team is sipping some serious kool aid. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fanpaul33. Show fanpaul33's posts

horrible cover guy.not quick enough

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to My theory on the bodden cut:
    [QUOTE]they need cap space to extend either welker or mayo. they probably asked bodden to take a pay cut and he refused
    Posted by patthepatriot666[/QUOTE]

Nah, they could wait till the end of the year for that.  That's more off season based stuff.

He didn't embrace his new role, bottom line from what I've read.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Extremely questionable move considering the timing and Molden's play against the Steelers in that he was replaced by Adams