My thoughts, exactly

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re: My thoughts, exactly

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to Muzwell's comment:

[QUOTE]

I am still missing the point of the Pats, the NFL and Kraft specifically not saying anything is the right thing to do? ......

They did release a statement, then they did the jersey exchange. What else are they supposed to do/say? There's also the issue of liability, which is absolutely very real.

If you're waiting on a big press conference, or somebody crying on camera or something along those lines, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Muzzy,

You are 100% correct that a lawsuit will be coming

regarding the NFL or the PAts specifically...I know for fact that they will make a joint announcement decrying the state of criminal activity in the NFL, and that they are going to put in measures to reduce the likelihood that these guys are playing in the NFL. The penalties/suspensions are going to get a lot harsher, and a contract clause will be mandatory for all teams, not team by team decided...

the delay in this announcement is waiting on the legalities...because as you said a massive law suit will be coming

[/QUOTE]

I don't know about "massive." It could be a handful of folks seeking a few million. It will be more annoying than threatening because it will make headlines and cause a distraction. That's not massive in a litigation sense. Massive is tobacco, asbestos, oil spills, etc. It's not that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

[QUOTE]

I am still missing the point of the Pats, the NFL and Kraft specifically not saying anything is the right thing to do? ......

They did release a statement, then they did the jersey exchange. What else are they supposed to do/say? There's also the issue of liability, which is absolutely very real.

If you're waiting on a big press conference, or somebody crying on camera or something along those lines, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Muzzy,

You are 100% correct that a lawsuit will be coming

regarding the NFL or the PAts specifically...I know for fact that they will make a joint announcement decrying the state of criminal activity in the NFL, and that they are going to put in measures to reduce the likelihood that these guys are playing in the NFL. The penalties/suspensions are going to get a lot harsher, and a contract clause will be mandatory for all teams, not team by team decided...

the delay in this announcement is waiting on the legalities...because as you said a massive law suit will be coming

[/QUOTE]

What lawsuit do you see coming, targetting who, and for what? Do you see the NFL, or the Patriots specifically, liable for Hernandez' actions? Or are you referring to only the money due to Hernandez from his contract? How about the psychological testing companies that the NFL uses? From the reports I have read, one gave Hernandez a perfect score, and the other gave him all high marks other than for being mature. All of the reports about him being involved in a shooting at Florida came out on July 3, 2013. There was no mention of any of this either when the Pats drafted him, or when they extended his contract last summer, not a single article. You would think that someone would have been able to come up with that information prior to the latest murder. Maybe the Gainsville police are liable for not investigating that shooting well enough? They could have put him away then, but apparently dropped the charges. How about Urban Meyer? Does he share in any of the liability for burying what Hernandez did at Florida? Did he convince the police to let him handle it internally? Did he withhold information from the teams that asked him about Hernandez before the draft, with the hopes that AH would turn his life around when he to to the NFL?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

You won't see anything from the Pats on this, either at a press conference or in a written release nor, in my opinion, should you.  The Pats owe no one an explanation and I really couldn't care less if every NFL commentator talking (as opposed to thinking) head screams for one on a daily basis.

Amen brother!!

So tired of all these so-called fans acting like the Pats owe them some kind of explanation. My God people, they gambled...they lost. They acted swiftly to get rid of this jerk, and thus making a very loud statement. If the Pats come out and say something (which they wont) will you little whiners sleep better? Move on already people....the Pats did...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

You won't see anything from the Pats on this, either at a press conference or in a written release nor, in my opinion, should you.  The Pats owe no one an explanation and I really couldn't care less if every NFL commentator talking (as opposed to thinking) head screams for one on a daily basis.

I agree. Unless the Pats are guilty of wrongdoing they need not explain anything. They gave a guy a chance and HE blew it. When he was exposed as involved in heinous affairs they cut him loose. End of story (for the team).

Let the drama queens wail.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I really don't think the Patriots have much risk of being held liable for Hernandez's criminal actions.  The only suit against them I could imagine is if Hernandez is sued in civil court for damages by the families of those he murdered and loses (likely), someone could maybe then sue the Patriots and/or the NFL (and even possibly the NFLPA to the extent the NFLPA upholds the Pats/NFL's' rights to refuse to pay Hernandez) to get them to release Hernandez's wages to pay those damages.  The Pats aren't liable for anything Hernandez did in this case--it's just that there could be a dispute over whether the Pats and NFL can withhold wages that would otherwise be used to cover damages. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I really don't think the Patriots have much risk of being held liable for Hernandez's criminal actions.  The only suit against them I could imagine is if Hernandez is sued in civil court for damages by the families of those he murdered and loses (likely), someone could maybe then sue the Patriots and/or the NFL (and even possibly the NFLPA to the extent the NFLPA upholds the Pats/NFL's' rights to refuse to pay Hernandez) to get them to release Hernandez's wages to pay those damages.  The Pats aren't liable for anything Hernandez did in this case--it's just that there could be a dispute over whether the Pats and NFL can withhold wages that would otherwise be used to cover damages. 

Exactly correct

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Exactly correct

[/QUOTE]

What on earth? YOU just said above that you "know for a fact" a lawsuit is coming and now you're saying a lawsuit isn't possible if the Pats offer up more of an opinion publicly on the Hernandez situation before it's resolved?

You can't even keep your trollish agenda straight, you fraud!

[/QUOTE]

The lawsuit being prepared will be civil against the Pats, NFL and the NFLPA for wages withheld from Hern.

The League will be announcing harsher standards regarding players breaking the law, including drugs, and it will filter down into the combine where players with criminal activities will not be attending. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Exactly correct

[/QUOTE]

What on earth? YOU just said above that you "know for a fact" a lawsuit is coming and now you're saying a lawsuit isn't possible if the Pats offer up more of an opinion publicly on the Hernandez situation before it's resolved?

[/QUOTE]

The lawsuit being prepared will be civil against the Pats, NFL and the NFLPA for wages withheld from Hern.

The League will be announcing harsher standards regarding players breaking the law, including drugs, and it will filter down into the combine where players with criminal activities will not be attending. 

[/QUOTE]

Umm, who will be filing this lawsuit?

Are you kidding me here?  Your last paragraph is LONG overdue, however. As is a government crackdown on the NCAA and public institutions which are supported by the taxpayer, as they shield and hide molestations and rapes like at Penn State or possible thug activity, amongst other transgressions like having other students take their tests, fake majors, etc.

If you don't go to the source of the problem, you can't fix the problem. This starts at the NCAA level.  

Rogie Goodell has all the power in the world, yet he doesn't want to use it where it counts.

Hey, has HGH testing been authorized by Rogie yet?  Hmm? Funny how Rogie can issue penalties for overblown issues like Spygate or Bountygate, yet he can't run his own league appropriately.

This supposed civil suit won't get filed either. Hernandez is in a jail and lost privileges based on obstruction of justice and the apparent evidence to charge him with Murder 1.

Ne voided the deal within the rules and he still gets paid through 2014.

Nothing to see here, but there is PLENTY to see at the NCAA level.

[/QUOTE]

You think Meyer left UFla because of poor health? No way. The school administrators were breathing down his neck from pressure from the mayor because of all of the criminal activity the players had going on, with the school not only looking the other way, but with the school having its way with the local police as well. 

It used to be a coach needed the academic community on its side to keep players in school and fudge grades and test scores. Now they need local police on their side.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

You got your wish...

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/9459474/robert-kraft-breaks-silence-aaron-hernandez-saying-feels-duped-tight-end-guilty

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Sorry Muzz, I did not see you posted this and posted a new link. I am not surprised Kraft said something, I had heard he was going to. While I was critical of his lateness on the topic, I was not aware of the legal ramifications until a few days ago....

I am hearing he is livid, and will make changes on who is signed/drafted with regards to public image of the team.....

I think Kraft gives BB a ton of leeway with decisions, rightfully so, but I do not think Kraft bends on this issue. I also hear that the NFL will also be making changes as Goodell is taking a ton of heat for this offseasons criminal activities, not only Hern's. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Sorry Muzz, I did not see you posted this and posted a new link. I am not surprised Kraft said something, I had heard he was going to. While I was critical of his lateness on the topic, I was not aware of the legal ramifications until a few days ago....

I am hearing he is livid, and will make changes on who is signed/drafted with regards to public image of the team.....

I think Kraft gives BB a ton of leeway with decisions, rightfully so, but I do not think Kraft bends on this issue. I also hear that the NFL will also be making changes as Goodell is taking a ton of heat for this offseasons criminal activities, not only Hern's. 

[/QUOTE]

I imagine he's none too pleased, but it's difficult to say much more. He did say that they don't follow the players with private eyes, but I know that NFL security does follow certain guys. I suspect that will be stepped up. If they did in AH's case (which you would think they did...), they apparently assigned Sgt. Schultz and Deputy Sheriff Fife to the case.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I imagine he's none too pleased, but it's difficult to say much more. He did say that they don't follow the players with private eyes, but I know that NFL security does follow certain guys. I suspect that will be stepped up. If they did in AH's case (which you would think they did...), they apparently assigned Sgt. Schultz and Deputy Sheriff Fife to the case.

[/QUOTE]

Or the Pats ignored the info available to every team,  of which 17 took Hern off their draft board.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Exactly correct

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Umm, who will be filing this lawsuit?

Are you kidding me here?  Your last paragraph is LONG overdue, however. As is a government crackdown on the NCAA and public institutions which are supported by the taxpayer, as they shield and hide molestations and rapes like at Penn State or possible thug activity, amongst other transgressions like having other students take their tests, fake majors, etc.

If you don't go to the source of the problem, you can't fix the problem. This starts at the NCAA level.  

Rogie Goodell has all the power in the world, yet he doesn't want to use it where it counts.

Hey, has HGH testing been authorized by Rogie yet?  Hmm? Funny how Rogie can issue penalties for overblown issues like Spygate or Bountygate, yet he can't run his own league appropriately.

This supposed civil suit won't get filed either. Hernandez is in a jail and lost privileges based on obstruction of justice and the apparent evidence to charge him with Murder 1.

Ne voided the deal within the rules and he still gets paid through 2014.

Nothing to see here, but there is PLENTY to see at the NCAA level.

[/QUOTE]

Rusty, if a civil suit is filed, it would be Lloyd's family filing it against Hernandez for damages and then (maybe) against the Pats/NFL/NFLPA to force them to pay wages to Hernandez which would then flow to the Lloyd family.  I'm not sure such a suit against the Pats/NFL/NFLPA would be filed (and I'm not sure it would be a strong suit if it were filed), but this is the only way I could see the Pats becoming legally embroiled in the Hernandez situation.  As Hernandez's employer, I don't believe they have any liability at all for his criminal actions. The only possible way I could imagine them getting involved is if Lloyd's family wants damages and they try to force the Pats to pay Hernandez his wages so that Hernandez, in turn, has assets to pay those damages.  I guess I see this as a longshot since I think the Pats are, by the terms of the CBA, completely within their rights not to pay Hernandez, but the Pats might decide to settle such a suit just for PR purposes.  Still, I don't see it as much of a distraction if it were to happen.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Rusty, if a civil suit is filed, it would be Lloyd's family filing it against Hernandez for damages and then (maybe) against the Pats/NFL/NFLPA to force them to pay wages to Hernandez which would then flow to the Lloyd family.  I'm not sure such a suit against the Pats/NFL/NFLPA would be filed (and I'm not sure it would be a strong suit if it were filed), but this is the only way I could see the Pats becoming legally embroiled in the Hernandez situation.  As Hernandez's employer, I don't believe they have any liability at all for his criminal actions. The only possible way I could imagine them getting involved is if Lloyd's family wants damages and they try to force the Pats to pay Hernandez his wages so that Hernandez, in turn, has assets to pay those damages.  I guess I see this as a longshot since I think the Pats are, by the terms of the CBA, completely within their rights not to pay Hernandez, but the Pats might decide to settle such a suit just for PR purposes.  Still, I don't see it as much of a distraction if it were to happen.  

The Lloyd family cannot bring the Pats to court in order to force them to pay a third party.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Well, the victims' (not just Lloyd, but going back to whoever was harmed by AH over the years) families can sue the Pats and the NFL and UF and perhaps the NCAA for negligence/wrongful death/personal injury on the theory that they knew/should have known, what Hernandez was up to. If they can get into court and force discovery, which they may well be able to do, they can force them to divulge what they knew, all the reports, investigations, you name it, whatever they have in their Aaron Hernandez files.

What did they know/when did they know it?  Did they enable the beast? Did they ignore criminal activity that ultimately led to injury/death? 

I guarantee you that the Pats brass, the NFL, etc. are all thinking about this and preparing for it. Doesn't mean they'd be held liable in court, but it does mean a lot of press and unwanted attention, which would probably induce settlement. 

We'll see how it plays out.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]

The Lloyd family cannot bring the Pats to court in order to force them to pay a third party.

[/QUOTE]

Does the law prevent them from doing this?  I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know.  If they can't do this, then I don't see how the Pats have any issues at all.  I don't know how the Pats can be held as negligent unless they had some knowledge that Hernandez was going to commit a crime and didn't act on that knowledge.  But how would they know that?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

No, not that he was going to commit a crime, but that they covered stuff up that had it been reported, would have/could have prevented AH from commiting further crimes. The thing is to get in court and get discovery, by making out a complaint that if proven true, could lead a jury to find negligence. Lawyer games. 

Sections
Shortcuts