My thoughts on Pats Defense check it out

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ben-umass. Show ben-umass's posts

My thoughts on Pats Defense check it out

Boston Sports took it on the chin this weekend and my attention focuses back onto Los Patriots.
    I might just be drinking the kool-aid, but im really liking what i see in the Patriots defense.

Safety- Meriweather, Chung, Sanders, McGowan
    Cornerback- Bodden, Butler, McCourtney, Wilhite, Wheately
    ILB- Mayo, Spikes, Guyton
    OLB- Crable, Mckenzie, TBC, Cunningham
    DL- T.Warren, Wilfork, Lewis, Pryor, Brace, G.Warren

Safety
    Meriweather is a beast but I read an interesting article that was questioning his attitude (said that him and McGowan were the ones laughing after the loss in Miami). Regardless he remains one of the young promising safeties in the league. However if he doesnt improve his tackling soon I'm gonna start calling him Mary-weather. I believe that Sanders will see most of the playing time early in the season and will eventaully bow out to Pat Chung. I know there is a lot of you who hate on Sanders, but he is an even-keel player who doesn't always make the flashy play, but can consistently do his job. I see Sanders coming in on possible 3rd and long situations to sit back in coverage and make the play before the line of scrimmage (ideally). Chung is a missle and will be used in all sorts of ways in a Belichick coached defense (remember when he sacked Manning). McGowan will add depth and will come in to shut down the big tight ends as he did last year (completely took Gonzo out of the falcons game).

Cornerback
    I'm knocking on wood but i think we might finally have players at his position. Bodden already has his spot and I'm looking for big things from him now that he's had a year in the system. Butler got torched at times last year but thats because it was his rookie season. Its gonna be an interesting storyline as Butler and McCourtney battle it out for the other starting role, with the loser playing the nickel. Wilhite and Wheatley will provide depth and contribute in the dime. I know Wilhite blows but i feel good about him going up against the 4th reciever. I thought it was intteresting how we have two corners in Bodden and McCourtney who are physical at the line and re-route recievers, kinda like how the Pats would thug the colt recievers at th line of scrimmage in 03-04. (By the way Tyrone Pool played his last season last year for the Bucs I think. I didn't know what happened to him)

Outside Linebacker
    I think opening day starters will be TBC and Crable if he can stay healthy long enough to take his cleats out of the his locker. TBC wont record double digit sacks again this year but he won't have to. if we can get a steady rotation and production out of McKenzie, Crable and Cunningham then this defense will truely be nasty. Sacks are nice, but I'd settle for consistent pressure because the back 4 will have a field day wth a rushed QB.

Inside Linebacker
    Mayo is a star in the making with a full offseason to recover from the knee injury. Next to him will be Brandon Spikes. I've heard two things about Brandon Spikes. That he thumps the runningback. And that he's a leader. Well, 3 things, he ran a wicked slow 40 time for a linebacker. Thats why my guy Gary Guyton is coming in on those long passing downs with his blistering speed. Watch for Spikes to make Mayo a lot better, taking on the big blocks and letting the more atheltic Mayo make the play. Also, its pretty bad @ss to have your defense centered around a dude called Spikes.

DL
    Resigned Big Vince. Got Warren to one side and then a question mark on the other. I'm not sure if BB plans on playing the 4-3 or the 3-4 this year so i can't really project who's going to play or where. I do know that we added Lewis from Jacksonville to play DT. The buzz around his is he's a better pass rusher than run blockers, so expect to see him sitting next to Guyton on the bench unless on short downs. We also got Gerald Warren from the raiders, who was actually recruited by Big Sey. Warren, a former first rounder, is at the end of his career but might have something left to give if kept fresh by a rotation. Big run stuffers who sets the egde. Pyror made some plays last year with his hgh motor and i hope that continues.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Payment84. Show Payment84's posts

Re: My thoughts on Pats Defense check it out

I like your thoughts Ben, I too am excited about this defense.  As long as people stay healthy we have some excellent depth.  I'm only really nervous about actually rushing the passer, we might have a decent setup or it could be another long year...  Either way the copious amounts of kool-aid I enjoying drinking will keep me warm for awhile...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEforever. Show NEforever's posts

Good post Ben, I like what your thinking!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtg5017. Show gtg5017's posts

McKenzie will strictly be an ILB in BB's scheme. Not long enough or quick enough to really get after the passer. He is a hell of a thumper tho going downhill against the run, so i think he will provide good depth at that spot and could certainly push for playing time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

my starters

Meriweather                              Chung

Butler                                                                                                  Bodden

Mayo                  Spikes
                Cunningham                                                                   Banta-Cain

Warren         Wilfork        G. Warren

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

nice post ben only one problem (and this is for everyone who makes this mistake)

the dudes name is McCourty not McCourtney

also i think meriweather is best suited as a FS than a SS. Chung starts at SS this year.

i think the DL starters will be warren, wilfork, and wright

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ben-umass. Show ben-umass's posts

thanks for the positive feedback

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

I'm hoping against hope that Crable becomes the player we think he is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to My thoughts on Pats Defense check it out:
    Los Patriots. Posted by ben-umass

c'mon this ain't Arizona, were we have toi appease

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

crable as a starter??? how do any of you think that is possible? the chances of him even making this team are remote. right now TBC and Ninkovitch (and maybe woods) are the top of the depth chart. things may shake out differently during training camp and pre season, and hopefully cunningham can come on quickly. but right now crable is about as far away from being a starter on this team as anyone on the roster. and he is easily last on the depth chart of the linebackers. and trust me he's not making this team anyway. move on!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from timsandra. Show timsandra's posts

Ben- Merriweather is NOT "a beast" and Mckenzie is  an ILB not OLB

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Ben-That's good positive thinking which isn't a bad thing but in order for that come true we will have to be quite a bit better than we were last year. I don't like having to hope for guys to get better because that is a 50% proposition at best. However, I will be on the bandwagon until they prove that they can't do it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

In Response to Re: My thoughts on Pats Defense check it out:
    Ben- Merriweather is NOT "a beast" and Mckenzie is  an ILB not OLB
    Posted by timsandra

yes he is moron.... you can teach tackling, so thats ot a big deal, he has alot of upside and a fantastic playmaker, him and chung next to each other is gunna be a deadly combo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

I like the young talent BB has acquired on defense the last few drafts, but I still don't see the pass rush being enough to overcome those game-killing 3rd and long conversions they always allow because the DBs can't hold their coverages for 7 seconds (no DBs in the NFL can do that).

McKenzie is an ILB, so really, their OLBs are a rookie (Cunningham), a 3rd-year man who's never seen the field (Crable), Ninkovich (scrap heap type of guy), TBC (nice pass rusher, but not much else) and Burgess, if they bring him back (and he's over the hill).

The only hope for the pass rush may be that BB does, in fact, envision moving some of his more athletic ILBs like Guyton and McKenzie to OLB, if he thinks they've got the physical ability.

I still think the D is a year away (one more draft--in 2011 they have four picks in the first two rounds, so perhaps that's when they'll be able to finally draft Seymour's replacement).

Negativity aside, I think they did get better this offseason, all around, and that the rebuilding process is almost complete (and don't worry about "winning before Brady gets too old"--the dude is only 33 and has at least 4 more good years left in him, I think).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Pressure may come from the middle where the strngth of the front 7 appears to be.  Jets had success blitzing Harris up the gut, Pats may look at bringing more pressure from Mayo/Spikes/McKenzie/Guyton.  Also bringing a S or DB on occasion.  Jets had a very good D in 09 without getting much pressure from the OLB spot.  Creative blitzes and good corner play was their hallmark.  Pats draft choices on D may hint a change to that philosophy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

BSII, you may be right.

I'm hoping that with BB basically running things on the defense now, they'll get a little more aggressive.

Watching Dean Pees' amazingly passive approach to defense was excruciating.

I know that BB's scheme essentially is based on "bend but don't break," but I seem to remember the defense being at least a bit more aggressive when Crennel was the D.C. (and to be honest, I don't ever remember Belichick's defenses with the Giants or Jets, when he was a coordinator, ever being as passive as the Pats' defense has been since Crennel left town).

Hopefully BB will find creative ways to get more pressure this season, and then plug the remaining holes in the next draft.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimNotJimmy. Show JimNotJimmy's posts

It's all about adding prospects and competition and BB did that exactly. I think we'll see diffrent starters from week to week depending on who we are playing. I like the McCourtey pick, because in this day in age with multiple reciever sets that teams run you have to have atleast 3 starting caliber corners. Please don't mention Wheatley though, I think he gets cut unless he has a good training camp. I'd rather see old man Springs back for another year as the 4th or 5th CB and veteran leadership for a young secondary. Spikes was a great pickup who will help with the run and compete with McKenzie for playing time. Having Mckenzie and Crable is like having two extra rookies. Let's hope neither gets injured this year in training camp. I think TBC will be one of the starters at OLB as for the other it's hard to tell, it'll be competitive in training camp though. I do think we need to bring Burgess back for added competition and he seemed to be catching on late in the year picking up 3 sacks in the final 4 games. Guyton will probably be used on 3rd down covering and 4-3 OLB.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

Really good post Ben! But i disagree with Crable. I dont believe he'll start at all. They guy has to prove and earn his way into a starting line-up. plus his bones are made of peanut brittle LoL.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ben-umass. Show ben-umass's posts

I'm down on Pierre Woods after last season. It looked like the door was wide open for him to come in and make an impact but it didnt happen. Not sure if that says more about TBC than Woods

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chino4858. Show Chino4858's posts

Brandon Spikes will be a huge factor in our D success this year!! He is a ball player, people focused on his 40 time and that is a non factor. He has the right attitude and comes from a legit program. I can not wait to see Mayo and Spikes whoop up on opposing offensives this year!! We have been missing the "IT" guy since Bruschi left, well boys and girls, that it has finally arrived!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

Regarding Spikes, the speed for running a 40 is no big deal. Maybe for a RB or WR and safety and CB, but Spikes sure looked great winning championships against the best college football players in the country.  Many who he will now see in the pros.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

In Response to Re: My thoughts on Pats Defense check it out : Not trying to defend Pees, but you have to be fair too.  Samuel left, guys like Bruschi and Vrabel got old quick at their respective positions and then Harrison left as well. Then Seymour was wisely dealt. So, that's a boatload of experience and talent and I am going to guess he was conservative becuase of all the new bodies in 2008 and 2009. That said, what I found really annoying was in 2008 AND last year, they'd go from 1st and 2nd down in man coverage and then drop into a zone with a weak or average pass rush for 3rd down. It'd be 3rd and 7, they drop into a zone, and even JT O'Sullivan was successful against them in 2008.  It happened less, in my opinion, in 2009, but it happened against Miami the most.   We all remember that.  Just horrendous.  Of course, that's Miami's SB every year anyway. I don't get it. I get you want the new guys to get used to playing zone to progress, but I'd rather they just stay in man if that's what they are good at. So, as annoying as all that was, he's a scapegoat too.
    Posted by russgriswold

Agreed. He is a scapegoat.

He happened to take over the defense right after Bruschi's stroke, Ty Law's departure and the retirements of Phifer and Ted Johnson; and then the injuries started coming in droves (Harrison's first major knee injury in '05; Seymour's constant "in and out of the lineup" act; etc.); and then McGinest left after the '05 season. He actually did a very good job with an old and patchwork defense in 2006 (#2 scoring defense in the NFL and their best team defensive passer rating since '03), but the flu and the injuries finally killed them in the end at Indy.

The 4th quarter collapse against the Giants in the Super Bowl (people forget that the Giants scored on TWO long TD drives in that quarter, not just the last one) was unforgivable. That's when I believe his passivity really hurt them because for three quarters the defense played probably their best game of the season that night, but he seemed to "retreat" a little bit in the 4th quarter. I really don't think that would have happened if Crennel was still on the sidelines.

In '08 and '09, the talent really wasn't there on defense, overall, but let's face it: if BB believed Pees was the best man for the job he wouldn't be a position coach for another NFL team right now (we all know that it was a firing, not a "resignation," since he took another NFL job within about 10 minutes of leaving Foxboro).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

[QUOTE]Pressure may come from the middle where the strngth of the front 7 appears to be.  Jets had success blitzing Harris up the gut, Pats may look at bringing more pressure from Mayo/Spikes/McKenzie/Guyton.  Also bringing a S or DB on occasion.  Jets had a very good D in 09 without getting much pressure from the OLB spot.  Creative blitzes and good corner play was their hallmark.  Pats draft choices on D may hint a change to that philosophy.  

Except for Calvin Pace with 8 sacks from OLB, you're right, not much pressure at all.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Pace had a Banta-Cain like 8, deceiving number.  TBC had 9, think everyone agrees they need help at OLB. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

The 4th quarter collapse against the Giants in the Super Bowl (people forget that the Giants scored on TWO long TD drives in that quarter, not just the last one) was unforgivable. That's when I believe his passivity really hurt them because for three quarters the defense played probably their best game of the season that night, but he seemed to "retreat" a little bit in the 4th quarter. I really don't think that would have happened if Crennel was still on the sidelines.

Right, it's not like the Rams, Panthers and Eagles scored a bunch of points late in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl when Crennel was here.