My thoughts on running up the score

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

My thoughts on running up the score

As long as your opponent has their starters in, I have no problem with the Pats still playing. Yes, I did wish they used Mallett instead, but that's a different topic.

What's the difference between having Brady throw the ball when up by 24+ in the fourth and Andrew Luck throwing the ball when down by 24+?

If you argue that Andrew Luck is still throwing because you've seen crazier comebacks, then you can argue that Brady is still throwing it to prevent those comebacks.

If you argue that Belichick is just padding Brady and co's stats, can't you argue that the Colts are doing the same thing?

If the Colts decided to just start running the ball up the middle, and essentially concede, then I would say the Pats should slow things down too.

If people want to bash the Patriots for "running up the score", then fine. But then by that argument you should blame the Colts for padding their offensive stats. Imagine if Luck got hurt on a pass in a game that was pretty much decided.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: My thoughts on running up the score

I thought this was settled in 2007? There is no such thing as running up the score. It is simply playing the entire game all out with no let up.

I dont want to see Mallette in the game handing off or taking a knee. I want him trying to score points, so if he HAS to play, he has done more in an NFL game than simply hand off

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

After the last 2 years, you will NEVER here me say anything about running the score up. The way this defense gives up scores in the 4th, how could anyone argue with how we play?

H3ll, I say make that scoreboard light up like Vegas and get that thang into the 70's if you have to. Anything to secure a win. They dont like it, well pop in the film from the losses weve encountered this year.  Garauntee they immediatley apologize and hug you!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

i think its just a story made by whiners.....and it only happens when the patriots blow out a team, never when another team does it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i think its just a story made by whiners.....and it only happens when the patriots blow out a team, never when another team does it.

[/QUOTE]
    See my other discussion...  this thing only starts when the Pats are involved.. not a word when Chicago and Baltimore went over 50 points and won handily. Every team, and their fans, would love to blow out an opponent.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

The colts were a 6-3 team, the Pats were a 6-3 team, and this is the NFL. Who cares.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

if that was the case....Indy should have put their 2nd teamers in first...showing the white flag. They didn't...so we didn't. Case closed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

From BB-

As part of his regularly scheduled appearance on sports radio WEEI, Belichick was asked by co-host Michael Holley his thinking on when to pull players.

"We've seen those games in the NFL every year, teams that have a lead -- you can go back to the Indianapolis-Tampa game when they scored like 24 points in four minutes, the Buffalo-Houston playoff game where it's 35-0 at halftime and you lose 38-35, whatever it was. It doesn't take much in this league. Teams can score quickly. Turnovers.

"I think you just keep playing. At some point, there is a point [but] then you only have so many players, so somebody has to play. I think you have to be careful when you are trying to run a team to go up to one guy and say, 'Michael, we're going to leave you in the game because we don't really care about you, but Glenn, we're going to take you out because you're really important.' I don't think that's really a good way to approach a team. I've never done that. I don't think that would be a very successful approach to it."

Belichick expounded upon his thoughts on managing those situations, before adding, "Football players play football. You tell me which guys are going to get hurt and I'll get them out of there."

As for the wing position on the field-goal protection unit, Belichick previously mentioned that it's an important job.

"I could just hear it now, if someone else is in at wing that wasn't used to playing there on the field-goal team, and a guy came around the edge and dove in there and the holder or kicker got torn up -- 'Why was he in there? Why wouldn't you go with the same guy that's been doing it all game?' We can play that game all game. As long as you know what the results are, you always have the right argument. Players are prepared to play 60 minutes. The game is 60 minutes long. If you can take a guy out, or you want to take a guy out, you can do that. But a guy's got to play."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

if that was the case....Indy should have put their 2nd teamers in first...showing the white flag. They didn't...so we didn't. Case closed.

[/QUOTE]

That was my point

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

In response to MasterHess-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

21 points in the 4th quarter is running up the score!

Running up the score caused Gronk to be out there on PAT.Unfortunately for the pats Gronk got hurt because he took the play off-Watch the play and tell me that I'm wrong...you can't he most definately took the play off.

Blame BB - HIs BS ways of coaching are causing people to yawn.

[/QUOTE]

kind of like your Jets taking the season off...right Hess ?   :  )

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I thought this was settled in 2007? There is no such thing as running up the score. It is simply playing the entire game all out with no let up.

I dont want to see Mallette in the game handing off or taking a knee. I want him trying to score points, so if he HAS to play, he has done more in an NFL game than simply hand off

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Backup QB's are probably the least prepared backups out of any other position. Brady can go down at any point in the next 6+ games. Should that be the case, I would feel a whole lot better about Mallett if he had more than 3 pass attempts. Anytime you can get him some real live game action, even if it's in garbage time, you take it

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

What difference does it make? Should the Patriots try keep the score close just so other teams, and their fans will like them better!  If they have the same thing done to them (see 2005 San Diego game) so be it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from section 136. Show section 136's posts

[QUOTE]

21 points in the 4th quarter is running up the score!

Running up the score caused Gronk to be out there on PAT.Unfortunately for the pats Gronk got hurt because he took the play off-Watch the play and tell me that I'm wrong...you can't he most definately took the play off.

Blame BB - HIs BS ways of coaching are causing people to yawn.

[/QUOTE]

7 of those points were from a pick six.....we ran 17 offensive plays in the 4th qtr....5 were pass plays....maybe for the jets that's running up the score.....to us it's mercy! if a team doesn't want to get blown out they should play defense and if they don't then they give up 47 yard running plays.....you sir, should return to where you came from and talk to other NY sports fans, maybe they'll buy your ill-informed, contradictory and ignorant brain farts!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from section 136. Show section 136's posts

[QUOTE]

The Jets are late bloomers apparently Ice man!

Gronk is out- You can only blame that by running up the score

Sanchy looked good yesterday the defense looked good and the special teams need some help but the Jets have a few days to prepare.No Gronk means no WIn for the pats.

Thanks BB and your overgrown ego!,Love,

Jets Fans Everywhere

[/QUOTE]

you just stated that he got hurt because he took the play off! which is it? you can't even follow a train of thought in the same thread - GO AWAY!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

[QUOTE]

Sanchy looked good yesterday the defense looked good and the special teams need some help but the Jets have a few days to prepare.No Gronk means no WIn for the pats.

Jets Fans Everywhere

[/QUOTE]

gronk is out, but hernandez will most likely be back.....and brady still has plenty of options on offense.....if the jets still had revis playing, losing gronk might mean something, but they dont.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to LessPhatRex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There is nothing wrong with running up the score.  With BB, it's an ego thing.  The problem comes in when you lose key players in a point in the game when they could be rubbing each other down with bengay, instead of breaking thier arm.  BB looks like an idiot for having Gronk in there. It will liklely cost them that precious bye week.

[/QUOTE] It is an "ego" thing?  Where did you get that from? What if Ghost got hurt on that?  Would you have said"  "Why did BB have Ghost kicking the PAT, he should have used another player to avoid an injury to the kicker."  Your points make me laugh and are laughably inane!

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEBACK. Show WeDerrWEBACK's posts

[QUOTE]

Jets have never lost to the Patriots when Gronk is out and Rex has 4 days to prepare.

[/QUOTE]

I lol all over

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]

Jets Fans Everywhere

[/QUOTE]

"Sanchy looked good yesterday"

A real explosive dynamo, he was.  Yawn....... 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

There is nothing wrong with running up the score.  With BB, it's an ego thing.  The problem comes in when you lose key players in a point in the game when they could be rubbing each other down with bengay, instead of breaking thier arm.  BB looks like an idiot for having Gronk in there. It will liklely cost them that precious bye week.

[/QUOTE] It is an "ego" thing?  Where did you get that from? What if Ghost got hurt on that?  Would you have said"  "Why did BB have Ghost kicking the PAT, he should have used another player to avoid an injury to the kicker."  Your points make me laugh and are laughably inane!

[/QUOTE]

What a fool you are.  One) how often does a kicker get touched (not by you, I mean on the field)? And two) Who is the backup PK?

[/QUOTE]

More often than the blocker breaks his arm.  It happenned to Gostkowski.  I have no idea who the backup PK is, that's the problem.