My Thoughts On The Game.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

My Thoughts On The Game.

I'm re-watching some of the game, and my main focus is on the defense.

The offense is what it is - it's great and this offense will be special.

As for the defense. We look much improved from last season, but there's still some work to do. 

Gerard Warren is an upgrade over Jarvis Green at DE. He's a big body that fills lanes, and he always pushing the pocket. Mike Wright held his own, however you'd expect Ty Warren to play there when he's ready to return.

The LB's look great. Spikes is a playmaker, and him and Mayo will be all over the place making plays. Banta-Cain looks solid and was consistently pushing the pocket when rushing the passer, and he making good plays in the running game.

Murrell looked pretty good too. He looks to be solid when rushing the passer, and he's often causing issues when he's rushing, and he isn't bad in the running game. He has a nose for the ball, and he held his ground and set the edge. Still though, the question is who will play that position. Will it be Murrell? Will it be Cunningham? Will it be Ninkovich? Who knows, but right now I'm liking Murrell, and whoever it may be, they're an upgrade over Adalius. 

As for the DB's. They look pretty good. Bodden didn't play, but he'll be back in time for the season opener, and we all know that he's a good player. Darius Butler looks good, and McCourty looked very, very good. Chung was always flying around, and Meriweather looked solid. 

Lastly, the communication seemed much better. Everyone seemed to be on the same page, and things looked in sync.

Overall, the run defense looks improved. They had a lot of bodies flying around, and the physicality looked good and the athleticism of this defense was evident. The pass defense still has room to improve, but the pass-rush looks to be more consistent, and the DB's are clearly more athletic.

Let's no kid ourselves - we just played the world champions, and when the two 1st team teams were on the field, we outplayed them. Of course our passing D is going to look a little off against the Saints - they have a great passing game, but we did well nonetheless. 

All in all, this offense is going to be special, and this defense is young, athletic, and much improved over last year. 

This team has the ability to go far.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mayosmyboy51. Show mayosmyboy51's posts

Re: My Thoughts On The Game.

I totally agree.  If this young defense can start solid like this, it'll build their confidence and they won't be playing like rookies and second year players.  Spikes looked like a thumper next to Mayo.  McCourty looked strong and definitely held his own (I see Ty Law when I look at him, I don't know why).  Chung played aggressive and the d-line looked stout.  Where was Cunningham tonight though?  I was really looking forward to his debut...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

They'll only improve once they get healthier.

Welker and Ty Warren loom as major absences.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

how was Maroney?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Running game, Connolly's blocking in particular, looked much improved.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Maroney was ok in limited action.  As for Welker they weren't going to use him last night, maybe game 4.  He'll be just fine for the season.

The first stringer D did a great job on Brees, pressuring him at times.  Brady moved the ball efectively, and the OL played well.  Hernandez looked a bit sketchy.  Edelman was Welker jr. again.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

I was pleased with the first-team defense.

The Saints had that one long drive that, A--would have been stopped at the Pats' 40-yard line were this a regular season game and Payton had more to lose by going for it on 4th and 6 (in the regular season you have to believe that he takes a 5-yard delay of game penalty and tries to punt the ball inside the 10 for field position); and B--would have been stopped anyway were it not for the "Polian Rule" call on Butler (it was the right call, but let's face it, that was a lousy throw by Brees and, bump or no bump, the receiver was never going to catch it--classic "Polian Rule" call there that probably doesn't draw a flag six years ago).

The run defense looked stout. The Saints fooled them on that one 3rd and 10 draw play to Reggie Bush on their TD drive that resulted in a first down, but otherwise the run defense was strong.

The pass rush was good on the first two series, not so much on the TD drive, but then again, they were facing one of the best passing offenses in the NFL last night, and N.O. had to "dink and dunk" their way down the field for their lone score of the first half.

Didn't see Cunningham out there at all. Did I miss something or was he just invisible out there? That's not good, but then again, he's a rookie and we can't expect miracles.

Murrell looked good--could he be this year's 2001 version of Mike Vrabel, an unheralded, underused free agent who comes out of nowhere to become a key figure on defense? We can only hope.

Liked the play of the D-Line. There is good depth there, and if Ty Warren is out for the year (the words "hip injury" have to be a concern), they should still be OK there.

The secondary looked solid. When they played New Orleans last year, big play after big play occurred. Last night every receiver, even the ones who caught passes, were covered pretty well, and more importantly, the tackling was terrific--no big YAC yards for the Saints' receivers. That's been a deficiency with the NE secondary, really, since they last won a Super Bowl (even in the 18-1 season).

All in all, I have no complaints.

Oh, and I think I felt "it" move watching the Pats' offense actually try to pound the ball on the ground inside the red zone with multi-tight end sets. THAT'S the way you finish drives folks. Enough of this 4- and 5-wide nonsense on 60% of the plays. The passing game will be good no matter how they line up; they have to work on that ground game, and last night they did, and it worked.

Solid all-around effort for a first pre-season game IMO.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cb25. Show cb25's posts

So glad football is back, even though its only pre-season. I agree with all the comments above, but does anyone know why BJGE was running with the first team instead of Maroney? Certainly not upset about it, but just curious... 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In Response to Re: My Thoughts On The Game.:
    [QUOTE]So glad football is back, even though its only pre-season. I agree with all the comments above, but does anyone know why BJGE was running with the first team instead of Maroney? Certainly not upset about it, but just curious... 
    Posted by cb25[/QUOTE]

My guess (and it's just that) is that this is a make or break year for BJGE and BB wants to give him the chance to show what he can do.  They may have to make some hard decisions at RB and they need all the data they can get.  Again, just a guess.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

I just don't see BB carrying 5 RBs again.  I think he may be trying to see if Law Firm can cut it, and maybe drop Sammy or Fred.  Honestly, that is alot of roster spots for guys who dont play special teams.  I say keep the young guys, and Kevin, drop Sammy and Fred, run Maroney primarily, and if he breaks/fails then put in BJGE and stick with that.  Kevin on 3rd downs/change up snaps.  I loved what I saw last night, guys making plays.  I missed that lately.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

some additional observations.....

the young o-lineman seem to be solid running the ball...
    sergio brown and kyle arrington can really bring the wood....
    brandon spikes will start next to mayo but mckenzie looked great in2nd half
    the goaline formation with 3 te'sand williams at fullback...a new dimension
    mccourty can really run back kicks and edelman is a star in the making.

people should listen to russ more...he has been pretty consistant with his predictions and after last night i see no reason to disagree...

Sections
Shortcuts