My Thoughts On The Game

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Re: My Thoughts On The Game

About right to me

Gost is a blessing

Ryan has great hands and has helped out the LS

How in the world can there be a bad field in today's NFL????

If I were playing on that field I wouldnt want to make any sharp cuts

NFL is loaded with issues that are being glossed over

I dont which is worse - the REFs or the fields

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Lets hope that game was an outlier. It seems we had some communication issues in the secondary as a few times I saw players double up on one guy while leaving another wide open. Im impressed that you can actually call out a bad day by the D and say no excuses. You are giving Brady his due. There is hope for you afterall.

Seriously though. BB always does enough to win so to me, he was more concerned with A.J. and it showed a few times when coverage went his way. Keenan is a good QB from the games I watched. Im less inclined to worry about the D now as our offense has went back to being the strenght of this team, but the diff. is we are more diverse now. Less reliant on small hands and have legit outside threats now that Brady throws too. Blount gives us a 4th quarter back in case we need to milk and Vareen offers just as much explosion as Ridley with an added asset as a 3rd down security blanket. Faulk has been gone a couple years and its been refreshing to see Brady operate with that option again. Even YOU have to admit that Brady has pulled a rabbit out the hat this year. Look at his numbers since Gronk and Amendola have returned.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The defensive tackles are horrid, the Texans were running at Vellano and Chris Jones off tackle on every play and they were getting blown up by single blockers.  Belichick noticed this as well and put Siliga in at nose tackle at the finish of the 2nd and most of the second half, the Texans continued to avoid the dive plays and ran at the ends.  Vellano should go down to the practice squad and AJ Francis should come up.  Chris Jones has a great future as a situational pass rusher ala Mike Wright, Vellano has to learn how to play fullback ala Dan Klecko.

We've had great play at linebacker and in the defensive backfield, the biggest (only) weakness on this team is DT.

Boyce did a very good job at returning kicks, the Texans were obviously giving him chances to screw up, they kicked line drives and he handled them like a short stop.  He should hold down the job going forward and he even stayed on the field as a receiver, it will be fun to watch him from here out...

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:

BB played a 3-4 yesterday.  If Jones and Vellano played 4-3 DT, that wouldn't have happened.   

I am not sure why BB was so determined to have to play 3-4, but I am not the coach either.

Hightower is not a MLB. He just isn't. He's a 4-3 OLB who needs to be used near the line of scrimmage. 

BB played a combination of 3/4 and his four man front nickel defense, on every running play the Texans found Vellano and Jones and ran right through them.  The only time the defense stopped the run was on a single third down stop where the defense ran a run blitz.  

Our linebackers are making all the plays.

We started the season as the best defense in the NFL, currently we're 31st in the league against the run, when Wilfork went down our run defense and sacks started to shrink, when Kelly went down our run defense and sacks went into a free fall.  

Our defensive tackles stink as starters, Siliga was the only bright spot yesterday and only against the run, he wasn't anything other than a run stuffer, Jones and Vellano were terrible, there's no disguising it or dismissing it.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

The defensive tackles are horrid, the Texans were running at Vellano and Chris Jones off tackle on every play and they were getting blown up by single blockers.  Belichick noticed this as well and put Siliga in at nose tackle at the finish of the 2nd and most of the second half, the Texans continued to avoid the dive plays and ran at the ends.  Vellano should go down to the practice squad and AJ Francis should come up.  Chris Jones has a great future as a situational pass rusher ala Mike Wright, Vellano has to learn how to play fullback ala Dan Klecko.

We've had great play at linebacker and in the defensive backfield, the biggest (only) weakness on this team is DT.

Boyce did a very good job at returning kicks, the Texans were obviously giving him chances to screw up, they kicked line drives and he handled them like a short stop.  He should hold down the job going forward and he even stayed on the field as a receiver, it will be fun to watch him from here out...

Wozzy, FYI

11/27/13 - DT A.J. Francis was signed from New England's practice squad and put on the Dolphin's 53-man roster. There's a chance Francis, who was with the Dolphins during training camp, could lend support to a DT rotation that's been giving up lots of rushing yards.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPatsFan12. Show NYPatsFan12's posts

bottom line for me: no matter what team we play, the pats will ALWAYS find themselves in a position to win the game. whether they pull it off or not, they will put themselves in position to win it in the end, even with our defense. thanks BB and JE. Brady is a beast too. but thanks to BB especially.

no thanks to tfb12 tho

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

False. Your entire post is fine until you contradict yourself.   If we play 4-3, we'll be fine. Sopoaga  is fine, the kids are not at 3-4 DE.

I have a sneaking suspicion BB was trialing out the 3-4 like he did in Denver in 2011 with Carter at RDE and Anderson at ROLB.   Tebow ran amuck, BB adjusted back to the 4-3 and he knew what he had.

Voila, 4-3 the rest of the year into the SB.

We ran both defensive fronts yesterday and gave up rushing yards and didn't create any interior pressure from our DT's at all from either front, we've been running more 3/4 since Kelly was ruled out, that was three games ago, not a trial period.  Sopoaga played nose to start the game, Vellano and Chris Jones played end in the 3/4, both were terrible.  

I didn't contradict myself at all, the Texans singled Vellano and Jones out.  Dan Dierdorff specifically called Vellano out early in the game for poor play and continued to remark on the poor play by the DT's all game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Wozzy, FYI

11/27/13 - DT A.J. Francis was signed from New England's practice squad and put on the Dolphin's 53-man roster. There's a chance Francis, who was with the Dolphins during training camp, could lend support to a DT rotation that's been giving up lots of rushing yards.

That's terrible... we've been using Vellano this whole time, his college teammate was the one we should have used and now he's gone.  Bad news...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

good post rusty. nothing to argue with on this. these boys in the interior need to figure something out because Jones and Vellano look a lot wrose compared to the Carolina game! where was that run D? carolina has better Rbs (Tolbert, Williams) than Tate... just confusing. if we can figure that out and get Dennard healthy so Arrington can go back inside and our secindary will be great again.

the O is back. gronk is the key and JE is making himself some $$$ right now. its all on can the D make the changes to keep this team afloat come January

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

Positives:

Offense...

Great job by the offense in the second half.  I will get to the negatives later.  Brady was great, the playcalling was much better and Blount is really chipping in well to help run the ball, as is Vereen. Nice job to attack them off the edges with the pass and to keep running. Houston has never matched up well. Not sure why this was so confusing in the first half.

Gronk is Gronk. What can you say?  Incredible player.

Edelman is emerging. It's many here's worst nightmare, but I kept trying to warn about it. Someone who works that hard will thrive with what skill set here. The punt returns and his ability on the perimeter make him an upgrade over Welker as he enters his prime.

Amendola is heating up a bit.  Not shocking since he seems healthier and Gronk has returned. Good to see.  

Will Svitek is impressing me. I felt it was a good FA pick up we'd hopefully never need, but nice job again. Overall, the whole O Line did well considering the talent of that front line in Houston.

Defense...

Not much to brag about here as the Pats D played their worst game of the year. Not sure if it's a let down after two emotional night games, but no excuse.  I will say, HOuston's O Line was holding on every running play to open those seams. Vellano and Jones were both held numerous times and could not disengage with tons of jersey.

I saw a few mental mistakes in coverage where zone was being played and it was man or vice versa. Not sure why that would be an issue now.  

I was surprised BB stayed with the 3-4 when Houston was handling it.   Nice job to get the sacks and INT on Keenum, but there I was surprised Andre Johnson wasn't bracketed more. Sort of odd. To me, it was Tate and Johnson, but each had good games.

The D dramatically improved in the second half, which is tied to the offense not allowing for such awful fields position to defend, but still, not a good game on D.

I will say, no playoff AFC D is any better than ours. We just miss key guys like Dennard where it can keep Arrington inside. I would rest Dennard until he's close to 100%.  He now is the key to keeping Arrington inside where he needs to be to thrive.  

Kudos to another INT from Logan Ryan. He's quietly emerging as the best CB in the draft in 2013 this year. Impressive work.

Negatives:

Offense: Slow start, playcalling, poor throws from Brady. Not sure why this is, but it keeps happening. Puts a lot of pressure on the D every week and it has to stop. We're cooked in the title game if that continues, obviously.

Defense: Breakdowns on pass D and the edge run D.  Some of the edge run D was holding by the Houston  O Line, but I also think it was scheme. I would have gone 4-3 wight Hightower weak side to help out the edges a bit vs the run.  That's just what I saw.

Sopoaga is doing his thing down the middle, but the edge work was off.  Needs to be better against power running teams if they are to use the 3-4.  The gaps weren't plugged even with the edges set.

STs...

Starting to heat up!  Nice game all around besides that opening kick off.  Other than that, very nice job.  Even Boyce looks to be comfortable taking kicks out, which is good.

I guess in the end, the positives are it appears we got out of there without any disastrous injuries. I cringed when I saw our schedule and cringed all day yesterday. I know Thompkins went down, but I think it may be just a contusion of some kind after landing hard.  Hopefully, it's nothing serious. I was more concerned about ACLs on that illegal turf/should be illegal turf.

Good observations.

I'll say this about our offense...I'm very excited to see that they have been cutting their teeth against some tough defenses this year, as they gain experience as a unit.  I am one who is in agreement about your opinions regarding the offense's performance in recent playoff seasons.  I believe, however, that this year's schedule, as well as their early season issues with injuries will only make them stronger come playoff time.  Sure, I would prefer if TB could be on fire for an entire game.  But, short of that, I'll gladly take the second half performances that he is beginning to put together on a consistent basis.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

It's tough to watch Vellano and Jones forced into roles they were never meant to assume.  Not making excuses, but there is just no way two undersized rookie DTs can do the job consistently.  I think the D could've withstood the loss of Kelly or VW - but losing both has really hurt this team.  I think the D is also feeling the loss of that "useless" and "overrated" (not my assessment) player named Mayo.  It's hard to ask these LBs to make plays when no one is holding ground let alone command a double team like VW did.  

The bright side is that with Gronk healthy, this offense is potent.  It was almost worth having him sit the first 6 games just so there is a chance that he is healthy for the playoffs.  He alone could make a difference, because this team is going to have to score points to have a chance in the playoffs. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Ninkovich was great. Vellano and CJ weren't as bad a most thought. The problem with the run D was Spikes and Hightower. Spikes is playing hurt, imo. Hightower is a tweener who has been erratic throughout his young career. If Spikes gets healthy, the run D will improve. I would like to see more of Fletcher.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

How about these for pluses----no penalties, no fumbles and "The Ghost" making the clutch kicks?

Disagree on Hightower. He can't cover anyone and never seems to even swipe at the ball when the receiver is at hand. Plus he doesn't seem to be able to shed blocks. He is an amazing physical specimen but he seems truly lost on the field. How about we just put him occasionally on the Dline at end and just cut him loose to rush the passer?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

^LOL

Wozzy claims he knows more than BB.  Pricless arrogance of late from you, Wozzy.

Francis was the final cut from the Dolphin's roster, they didn't want to let him go but when the season started they had the deepest defensive line in all of football outside maybe the Lions.  They just brought him back to shore up the run ironically after some serious injuries across their line, they must know something too. Pro football focus had him rated as their best Defensive Tackle preseason cut by any team, Belichick thought enough of him to snap him up so I suspect there's something BB liked in him as well.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/09/01/cuts-to-catch-on/

Quote by Francis to the Miami Herald on his Patriot's experience:

"It was tough going up to New England because it was tough learning the system on the fly," Francis said. "They're not teaching the system, they're preparing for a game. So you have to learn while they're going. It took me to be honest, a couple of weeks and closer to a month to be completely familiar with the system and get where I was down here."

Time will tell if we should have brought him up sooner than later.  The Dolphins didn't want to let him go, chances are the Pats were going to bring him up this week after the horrid showing by the DT's against the run, I don't think I've ever seen BB write more notes after every run by the Texan's Ben Tate.  Its pretty evident with his shuffling of the roster at DT that he isn't happy with the their play.  You can't keep every practice squad player and the longer you keep them there the bigger chance they'll get picked up by someone else, someone familiar with them, this wouldn't be the first time we lost a PS guy we liked.  Saying so and so thinks they know better than BB is lazy and dishonest, if BB didn't like Francis he wouldn't have been on the team.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/#storylink=cpy

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

It's tough to watch Vellano and Jones forced into roles they were never meant to assume.  Not making excuses, but there is just no way two undersized rookie DTs can do the job consistently.  I think the D could've withstood the loss of Kelly or VW - but losing both has really hurt this team.  I think the D is also feeling the loss of that "useless" and "overrated" (not my assessment) player named Mayo.  It's hard to ask these LBs to make plays when no one is holding ground let alone command a double team like VW did.  

The bright side is that with Gronk healthy, this offense is potent.  It was almost worth having him sit the first 6 games just so there is a chance that he is healthy for the playoffs.  He alone could make a difference, because this team is going to have to score points to have a chance in the playoffs. 

IMO, BB wants a good 3-4 still so he's trying to get it. He does this all the time at the end of a season.   IN 2011 he did it. He did it last year.

In 2010, late in the year, he ran some 4-3 because 3-4 was his base. It's what he does.

That said, for a 3-4 front to work it's not just the NT, it's the DEs as much as it is the NT. Sopaga is fine. We're not hurting down the middle at all. It's the off tackle stuff in those lanes once the edge is set.

I have faith BB can coach this up a bit, but I agree that Chris Jones and Vellano have little 3-4 DE experience, and this ain't college anymore.

I would go back to more 4-3 for the postseason and go from there.  It's the better edge run D.

Nink, Sopaga, C. Jones, C. Jones  (Vellano comes in to rotate at DT)

Hightower, Spikes, Fletcher

When you go 3-4, maybe try Carter at LDE, Sopaga at NT, Chandler at RDE and then Jamie Collins as the weakside OLB. Maybe try that on the passing downs, like 3rd and longs.

I would use Spikes and Fletcher as the MLBs in the 3-4 when you're facing passing teams.

If you think about it, our pass D was good in this game yesterday. A few sacks, pressures, an INT (almost a couple more), and Keenum only had a 50% compl rate and 272 yards.

Take out the breather Arrington was giving Ryan or Talib on that one 60 yard pass and it looks even better.

Well the problem with that 43 alignment is the linebackers left on the field are slow and can't cover..it's a problem. And Jones and Nink as defensive ends aren't exactly stout run stoppers. Then the 34 alignment you mention just leaves them way too light on the ends, you can't put Carter and Jones as 34 ends...those guys aren't big enough for that. You'd take our two best pass rushers and have them two gap on end in a 34? Can't do that, at least not for more than a few plays.

I agree Sopaga needs to be out there more, but the real problem is we don't have ends like Deaderick and Love any longer. Now those guys weren't great, but at least they were big and Vince took on the doubles. I really think Belichick was hoping he could put two huge linebackers in the middle to help with our situation, because at their size they should be doing more...I don't think he's too pleased with Hightower or Spikes at this point. Now Bill will surely be asked about Hightower this week, and he most likely will talk him up, but the truth is it is just him protecting a young player. I bet if he's asked about Spikes he won't be so protective.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Positives:

Offense...

Great job by the offense in the second half.  I will get to the negatives later.  Brady was great, the playcalling was much better and Blount is really chipping in well to help run the ball, as is Vereen. Nice job to attack them off the edges with the pass and to keep running. Houston has never matched up well. Not sure why this was so confusing in the first half.

Gronk is Gronk. What can you say?  Incredible player.

Edelman is emerging. It's many here's worst nightmare, but I kept trying to warn about it. Someone who works that hard will thrive with what skill set here. The punt returns and his ability on the perimeter make him an upgrade over Welker as he enters his prime.

Amendola is heating up a bit.  Not shocking since he seems healthier and Gronk has returned. Good to see.  

Will Svitek is impressing me. I felt it was a good FA pick up we'd hopefully never need, but nice job again. Overall, the whole O Line did well considering the talent of that front line in Houston.

Defense...

Not much to brag about here as the Pats D played their worst game of the year. Not sure if it's a let down after two emotional night games, but no excuse.  I will say, HOuston's O Line was holding on every running play to open those seams. Vellano and Jones were both held numerous times and could not disengage with tons of jersey.

I saw a few mental mistakes in coverage where zone was being played and it was man or vice versa. Not sure why that would be an issue now.  

I was surprised BB stayed with the 3-4 when Houston was handling it.   Nice job to get the sacks and INT on Keenum, but there I was surprised Andre Johnson wasn't bracketed more. Sort of odd. To me, it was Tate and Johnson, but each had good games.

The D dramatically improved in the second half, which is tied to the offense not allowing for such awful fields position to defend, but still, not a good game on D.

I will say, no playoff AFC D is any better than ours. We just miss key guys like Dennard where it can keep Arrington inside. I would rest Dennard until he's close to 100%.  He now is the key to keeping Arrington inside where he needs to be to thrive.  

Kudos to another INT from Logan Ryan. He's quietly emerging as the best CB in the draft in 2013 this year. Impressive work.

Negatives:

Offense: Slow start, playcalling, poor throws from Brady. Not sure why this is, but it keeps happening. Puts a lot of pressure on the D every week and it has to stop. We're cooked in the title game if that continues, obviously.

Defense: Breakdowns on pass D and the edge run D.  Some of the edge run D was holding by the Houston  O Line, but I also think it was scheme. I would have gone 4-3 wight Hightower weak side to help out the edges a bit vs the run.  That's just what I saw.

Sopoaga is doing his thing down the middle, but the edge work was off.  Needs to be better against power running teams if they are to use the 3-4.  The gaps weren't plugged even with the edges set.

STs...

Starting to heat up!  Nice game all around besides that opening kick off.  Other than that, very nice job.  Even Boyce looks to be comfortable taking kicks out, which is good.

I guess in the end, the positives are it appears we got out of there without any disastrous injuries. I cringed when I saw our schedule and cringed all day yesterday. I know Thompkins went down, but I think it may be just a contusion of some kind after landing hard.  Hopefully, it's nothing serious. I was more concerned about ACLs on that illegal turf/should be illegal turf.

The holding was rediculous. I was screaming at the TV everytime I saw it ans I saw it often.

Sections
Shortcuts