Myron Pryor looks like a steal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 00chief00. Show 00chief00's posts

Re: Myron Pryor looks like a steal

Very pleased with the rookie crop this year. Nice post

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I don't think steal is the correct phrase. The Pats gamble in the draft on a certain type of player and attempt to "coach them up" to the system. They hit with Pryor so far, as they did with Wright. They missed with Brace so far. It seems to never be black and white...mostly gray.
    Recall that Warren was slow to come around, Wilfork quickly settled in. When asked to do one thing, Green excelled, but when asked to expand his contribution, Green has been slow to grasp.
    That is what annoyed me with Gaspars article last week on BB's "miscues" in the draft.  Pats seemingly treasure "coachability" as much as talent.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtfan. Show celtfan's posts

I wouldn't be so quick to let management off the hook regarding the re-signing of Wilfork and Mankins.  A good team needs to keep some of the good players they develop.  Both these guys were first round draft picks and they are in the prime of their careers.  It's nice to have some good young back-ups and I really like what the Pats did in the '09 draft but ownership needs to step up and keep strong players in their prime on this team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaacee. Show jaacee's posts

PRYOR-- I MUST HAVE MISSED HIS ACTION- BUT SOUNDS GREAT--  BUTLER ? WAS THE DOG YESTERDAY ON THE BUC TD- BEATEN BADLY ON THE PASS, AND ALSO ON THE PREVIOUS PLAY. REGARD CHUNG, LAST GAME, AFTER HIS INT, HIS "WIGGLE DANCE" WITH A TEAM MATE, UGH!!!, SOMEONE PLEASE TALK TO THIS CLOWN!! THIS IS THE PATRIOTS!!!! HE WAS A BIT "AFFECTED" YESTERDAY AGAIN! VOLLMER LOOKING GOOD, LAST 2 GAMES, EXCEPT HIS 2 PENALTIES YESTERDAY. AND NOW THAT TATE IS PLAYING, AM ANXIOUS TO SEE HIM EXCEL, AS EDELMAN HAS ALREADY DONE- TOO BAD FOR THE INJURY, BUT HE HAS A GREAT PATRIOT FUTURE! THOSE 2 ARE THE PATRIOT WIDE OUT FUTURE!!!  THE 2010 DRAFT??? AGAIN- HIGH UP, RB- 240-270 LBS,  WITH SPEED, LIKE GIANT JACOBS- WE HAVE TO HAVE 'EM!!!!    

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

In Response to Re: Myron Pryor looks like a steal:
    P.S.  I live in Eagles country, so I know they ARENT enjoying Samuel at all.
    Posted by Davedsone

I thought showboating samuel has like 4 or 5 ints this year,  eggle fans don't like that production

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RahZid. Show RahZid's posts

Butler wasn't beaten that badly on the TD, though he wasn't playing with very good technique on that play.  Also, he's leading the defense in INT's.  Vollmer's penalties and allowed sack, came right after he injured his leg (he came up gimpy but remained in the game), so at least there was a reason for it.

Oh and if you could not use caps lock that would be fantastic

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shariq. Show shariq's posts

I did not see the whole game so please elaborate on what Pryor did. His stat sheet is not exactly gaudy but that is more of a reflection of  the way the Pats (especially the d-line) play defense than his play. So really keen to read what you saw about his play that has you excited. Also I'd like to know how bad did Warren's ankle injury look? Thank you

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Hoyer Endleman,Hodel,Pryor are great for the cap$$$
    Posted by hoyle
    No Hodel he was cut and he was a FA signing from Arizona Cardinals the player you are thinking of is Jake Ingram the late round draft choice from Hawaii he is the Long snapper...Wait until Tyrone McKenzie from USF makes his debut next year,about the only one who hasn't made a significant contribution as of yet is Ron Brace the 2nd round pick out of BC.Butler,Chung,Vollmer,Pryor,Ingram,Tate,and Hoyer have all contributed hopefully they will all mature together..With 4 more top end draft choices they could be stacked for years to come...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shtarka. Show Shtarka's posts

Re Pryor and the Seymour trade...a little bit like BB seeing something in Brady and letting Bledsoe go...BB is not afraid to bring in the younger unsung player at the expense of the established veteran.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from drawme. Show drawme's posts

Butler is their #3 CB and an occasional starter as a rookie at one of the NFL's most difficult positions to pick up right away.  He makes some mistakes, but make no mistake, he is good.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

On about 3-4 plays Pryor made the QB hurry and forced incomplete passes.  His motor stood out to me.  He seems slippery fast, reminds me of Dwight Freeney.  Correct me if I am offbase.

I did not see the whole game so please elaborate on what Pryor did. His stat sheet is not exactly gaudy but that is more of a reflection of  the way the Pats (especially the d-line) play defense than his play. So really keen to read what you saw about his play that has you excited. Also I'd like to know how bad did Warren's ankle injury look? Thank you
    Posted by shariq

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I remember reading when Myron Pryor was drafted that he was voted the toughest guy to block in the SEC by the offensive lineman.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Toughest guy to block and SEC defensive player of the year (Mayo) sounds like two great building blocks right there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from masinick. Show masinick's posts

With Pryor coming up, Brace also to be groomed, Vollmer on the offensive line to eventually replace someone, Guyton and Mayo solid at linebacker with decent backup depth; Banta-Cain, Woods, and Alexander are good alternatives who add a lot to the special teams, Meriweather starting to mature, actually the TWO Brandons - Meriweather and McGowan; I heard McGowan's name mentioned a LOT on tackles, then solid corner play with Bodden, Wilhite, Butler, Wheatley, and Springs, with Chung and Sanders adding further depth and support at Safety.

For all who feared the changes, I was actually FOR them.  At the time, I figured that we might be giving up something in the short run, but that we'd get some speed back, which would help once the players caught on to the schemes.  Well, that is starting to happen and the team is starting to come together.  Even without Seymour, Vrabel, Bruschi, and Harrison, I'd have to say that overall we have a better defense than we did at this time a year ago, and the upside is very good.

The offense might be considered comparable to 2008 so far - got off to a somewhat shaky start last year, too.  Remember Cassel getting sacked a lot at first until he learned how to check off and/or unload the ball, but how he came on strongly in mid to late season?  That is about where we are now, too.  Injuries really hurt the running depth; we see that again this year, but we have had sufficient depth to cover it.

I think we may have been a few steps behind at third receiver; we had a downgrade from Gaffney, but if Aiken, and later Tate, can grow into those roles, both of them show the possibility of ultimately being equal to - and possibly faster and more explosive, than Gaffney as the #3 option.  Welker and Moss are certainly doing at least as well as last year.  Should be no problem, barring catastrophe, to exceed last year's totals.  I was thinking of 12-4 or 13-3 as our record; clearly 14-2 is only attainable with an undefeated finish - possible, but that is asking a lot.  Reality could easily be 12-4 at a minimum; another 11-5 finish MIGHT win the division (barely) but it wouldn't bode well for playoff positioning.  I'd love to see a 13-3 or 14-2 finish, even if they'd be a bit of a stretch.  We did it in 2003 with a team of similar levels of experience.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

Re Pryor and the Seymour trade...a little bit like BB seeing something in Brady and letting Bledsoe go...BB is not afraid to bring in the younger unsung player at the expense of the established veteran.
    Posted by Shtarka

no offense, but are you nuts??? yes pryor is a nice surprise, and looks to have a bright future. he is quick off the line and has shown some ability to collapse the pocket. however, he is playing next to some of the top interior linemen in the league and is only playing a limited number of snaps. seymour was DOMINANT in his rookie year, started from day one, was double and triple teamed on every play, and played next to the likes of over the hill anthony pleasant and brandon mitchell. he was all pro by year two and those first few seasons was as good as there was on the d line. 
    so while i love what pryor is doing...lets not forget what seymour did for this team in his prime. we're talking about a hall of fame caliber player.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i dont see Mankins or wilfork around next year. brace will likely b replacg wilfork. vollmer will take light's place as starting left tackle and force Light to be a guard (mankin's spot). Steven Neal too may be gone. 
    Posted by choircontrarian

why do you think the pats will let all of their veterans walk? i dont see that happening at all. in fact the seymour trade was made because of the impending decision about keeping either he or wilfork. crazy al took the decision out of their hands (not pryor).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

I don't think steal is the correct phrase. The Pats gamble in the draft on a certain type of player and attempt to "coach them up" to the system. They hit with Pryor so far, as they did with Wright. They missed with Brace so far. It seems to never be black and white...mostly gray. Recall that Warren was slow to come around, Wilfork quickly settled in. When asked to do one thing, Green excelled, but when asked to expand his contribution, Green has been slow to grasp. That is what annoyed me with Gaspars article last week on BB's "miscues" in the draft.  Pats seemingly treasure "coachability" as much as talent.
    Posted by rkarp

i agree with the coachability thing, but i think your memory is a little foggy on wilfork. it took him pretty much a whole season to settle in, playing behind keith traylor most of the time. and i think green has been really strong this season in his all around game. 

Sections
Shortcuts