Myth of the Giants Pass Defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

Myth of the Giants Pass Defense

OK, they allow 255 ypg to our 293, BUT:

They have 2 fewer pass atempts, which at their completion % and their yards per completion, makes it 267 to 293

also, they gave up 2 more passing TD's than we did, and had 3 fewer interceptions. The combination of 2 more Td's and 3 fewer interceptions is worth about 5 yards per TD and 18 yards per interception, so 64 or 4 yards per game, so 271 to 293

The Patriots had 5 runaway blowouts where we were up by 3 scores or more heading into the 4th and conceded the pass, 230 yards to the Colts when they only had 108 yards the first 3 quarters, 97 to KC vs 118 for 3 quarters, 112 to denver after 29 the first 3 quarters, 124 to the eagles after 270 the first 3, and the Bills but their passing yardage didn't increase. we also had runaway blwouts at the end of the 4th quarter but I'll exlude those and say the Giants did, too, which they actually didn't. adjusting for Q4 Prevent, we can at least deduct 320 yards as junk yards or 20 per game

so 271 defended yards for the Giants defense to 273 defended for the Patriots on an apples to apples basis, they're going to get CRUSHED!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Myth of the Giants Pass Defense

Well the Giants secondary just is a bad match up for them against our TE's and WR's. They don't have anyone to match up against Hern, Gronk, and Welker. It's all going to be about the pass rush. If they can get pressure rushing 4 and clog the field with 7 players back in zone/man then it will be a long day for the Pats, however if they have to bring more into the box to guard against the run or they can't get pressure rushing 4 then the match ups are too large and Brady will pick them apart.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Myth of the Giants Pass Defense:
    [QUOTE]Well the Giants secondary just is a bad match up for them against our TE's and WR's. They don't have anyone to match up against Hern, Gronk, and Welker. It's all going to be about the pass rush. If they can get pressure rushing 4 and clog the field with 7 players back in zone/man then it will be a long day for the Pats, however if they have to bring more into the box to guard against the run or they can't get pressure rushing 4 then the match ups are too large and Brady will pick them apart.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

This is what you call hitting the nail on the head. But it works the other way around as well. If the Pats cannot get a rush on Manning with their front four, then they will need to blitz and Manning will rip that to shreds.

This is truly a game where it will be decided in the trenches.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I think looking at total season stats for the Giants
    is meaningless - right now they are playing at a higher level
    I believe that the Giant front 4 is great but the front 7
    is only good.

So will TB get the ball off quicker - like against Balt
    which minimizes the rush and Will TB be accurate
    like Denver?

There really is no comparison to the Pats 2007 offense and 2011
    Then the Pats had longer patterns with Moss, now its more horizontal
    with the TE's

Which means that with quicker passses they won't get to TB
    Balt didn't really get to him - but their D rush was over stated
    half their sacks came against 4 lousy Olines

Also think we can run effectively against the Giants
    Thinkt eh front 4 will be eager to get to TB
    Coughlin will have to keep them disciplined

the Pats problem will be shutting down Cruz - altho Sf did in the 2nd half
    and i don't see the giants running on the Pats D

But in the end I see it as a turnover battle -
    the only time we lose!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm not going to pretend I know how good the Giants pass defense is, but I'll tell yeah I watched the Raven's game again and man do the Ravens know how to cover. At first glance it looks as if Brady had a poor game (and the pass to Slater was terrible), but he actually played better than I thought. Almost every single pass during that game had to be fit into a tight spot - a lot of times there was no one open...no one. 

I got to think playing in a game like that will help when going against a secondary that is not considered as good. Add in the fact that Brady was very down on himself for his performance and I think we'll do ok. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JAR59. Show JAR59's posts

Is it just a coincidence The Patsies have not won a Super Bowl since Belichick got caught cheating?

I think not...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Is it just a coincidence The Patsies have not won a Super Bowl since Belichick got caught cheating? I think not...
    Posted by JAR59[/QUOTE]

Is it a coincidence you're an idiot? I think not...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

" right now they are playing at a higher level
    I believe that the Giant front 4 is great but the front 7
    is only good."

Not really. 10 of their 20 points were direct results of muffed punts deep in 49er territory.  They had 2 good drives the rest of the game for thier other 10 points.  Since they won the OT coin toss and recovered a muffed punt, they wound up with 24 more yards then the 49ers, would have been 10 less in regulation.

A Hail Mary at half time of the Packers game was not "a higher level", it was a coin toss that they lucked out on.  The Packers 4 turnovers and sloppy play looked more like their problem than a dominating Giants team.

we need to avoid sloppy play an we'll kill them. we play sloppy, then it is our own fault if we lose.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Myth of the Giants Pass Defense : Is it a coincidence you're an idiot? I think not...
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

don't even bother babe, you can't have a conversation about football with her. she is an idiot. cheating.. lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]This is what you call hitting the nail on the head. But it works the other way around as well. If the Pats cannot get a rush on Manning with their front four, then they will need to blitz and Manning will rip that to shreds. This is truly a game where it will be decided in the trenches.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]
    It may very well be a high scoring game with these two great offenses. Both teams' defenses are playing well so pressuring the QBs will be pivotal to each team's success.

You're a Jets fan aren't you jessey? Who are you rooting for?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Myth of the Giants Pass Defense : This is what you call hitting the nail on the head. But it works the other way around as well. If the Pats cannot get a rush on Manning with their front four, then they will need to blitz and Manning will rip that to shreds. This is truly a game where it will be decided in the trenches.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Hey Jessey, though I'm an avid Sox fan, I don't post too much over on that board simply because that board is dominated by the likes of 3 people, 2 of which I can't stand. I've always liked your posts. I'm all for having fans from opposite teams on our boards as long as they don't troll. You provide a lot of good insight and definitely know the game of baseball. Good to have you over here.

I have to agree. This game will either be won by the Pats O-Line or the Giants D-line. If the Pats can give Brady some time like they've been doing most of the season, he'll rip that secondary a new one. I'll take Brady over Manning in a shootout ala Game 17 of the 2007 but I'll take Eli if the Giants front 4 can get to Brady early ala Super Bowl 42. If the Giants D-line plays up to their potential, it'll be Super Bowl 42 all over again. If that is the case, the Pats will especially need to rely on the running game and play action. Hopefully O'Brien won't come out in the Shotgun Spread from the get-go and instead gets BGE some touches early. Also hope to see Ridley back in the game. It'd be nice to see the Rook get some touches but he better hope to God he holds on to it.

Either way, best of luck to ya and may the better team win. Cheers.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Giants pass rush is compared to the 07 pass rush, they are not as good.  They are living mostly off reputation. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]Is it just a coincidence The Patsies have not won a Super Bowl since Belichick got caught cheating? I think not...
    Posted by JAR59[/QUOTE]

Is it a coincidence that the only people that worry about a camera on the wrong part of the field are jealous trolls or someone who the Pats beat the crap out of?
    I think not.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]Giants pass rush is compared to the 07 pass rush, they are not as good.  They are living mostly off reputation. 
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]
    I agree. Plus I think our offensive line is protecting Brady better than the 07 line. Brady should have a game for the ages. Hopefully, Eli doesn't.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Myth of the Giants Pass Defense : Is it a coincidence you're an idiot? I think not...
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

You beat me to the punch - thanks Babe!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I'll sound a bit like a broken record, but both teams are playing at a higher level than they did for most of the regular season.  It is inevitable that regular season stats will be poured over in depth, but for these two teams this year, they mean little.  Had our D played like it is now all year, we might have only lost a game.  

Had the Giants played like they are now all year, they probably would have lost a only couple of games too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from condognh. Show condognh's posts

In response to "Re: Myth of the Giants Pass Defense": [QUOTE]Is it just a coincidence The Patsies have not won a Super Bowl since Belichick got caught cheating? I think not... Posted by JAR59[/QUOTE] How did your STEELERS do come TEBOW-time???????

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Posted by JAR59[/QUOTE]

How did this person speaking Nepalese get in here?  Damn.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnTAlouette. Show JohnTAlouette's posts

If Vince can play like that again, who can stop him? Pressure up the middle won the last one for the Giants. Turnaround is fair play.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Myth of the Giants Pass Defense : Hey Jessey, though I'm an avid Sox fan, I don't post too much over on that board simply because that board is dominated by the likes of 3 people, 2 of which I can't stand. I've always liked your posts. I'm all for having fans from opposite teams on our boards as long as they don't troll. You provide a lot of good insight and definitely know the game of baseball. Good to have you over here. I have to agree. This game will either be won by the Pats O-Line or the Giants D-line. If the Pats can give Brady some time like they've been doing most of the season, he'll rip that secondary a new one. I'll take Brady over Manning in a shootout ala Game 17 of the 2007 but I'll take Eli if the Giants front 4 can get to Brady early ala Super Bowl 42. If the Giants D-line plays up to their potential, it'll be Super Bowl 42 all over again. If that is the case, the Pats will especially need to rely on the running game and play action. Hopefully O'Brien won't come out in the Shotgun Spread from the get-go and instead gets BGE some touches early. Also hope to see Ridley back in the game. It'd be nice to see the Rook get some touches but he better hope to God he holds on to it. Either way, best of luck to ya and may the better team win. Cheers.
    Posted by IrishMob7[/QUOTE] -

Hey IM - there has been somewhat of a change of personality on the Sox forum the last couple of weeks and for the better. We will see if it lasts.

As for rooting interests in this game, since I am a born NYer, I guess it would be the Giants. But it is certainly no whooping and hollering game for me. My ego takes no leap or hit depending on the outcome of the game.

I find this to be an interesting betting game. It is where I put my money early Monday morning when the first line came out. I thought 3 1/2 points was way too much as I see it being a field goal game either way. Most local bookies shut off betting or didn't even take action on this game because they are so deep in mid season action when the Giants lost to the Skins and the odds of them winning the S.B. went to 100-1. A lot of people dropped nickels and dimes on the Giants with those odds and there is a lot of fear that they won't be able to cover the cash flow out if the GIants do win.

I think this is a 4th qtr game and should be enjoyable to watch. I will say this, Manning is playing at an exceptionally high level right now and his receivers have turned in a scary trio, especially Victor Cruz. I thought Brady was superman vs Denver and since I consider him one of the two greatest QB's in history, he will always scare me, even after he retires. As I said, it is the pass rush on both sides. I don't think the Giants secondary can cover the NE Tight Ends and I do not think NE's secondary can cover the Giants 3 wideouts. Should be a good game - enjoy.

Stop by the Sox forum - with Pujols and Fielder in the AL now, this should be an interesting season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Myth of the Giants Pass Defense : It may very well be a high scoring game with these two great offenses. Both teams' defenses are playing well so pressuring the QBs will be pivotal to each team's success. You're a Jets fan aren't you jessey? Who are you rooting for?
    Posted by digger0862[/QUOTE]

Hey digger - sadly, but proudly, I am a Jets fan. Total regression of a team this past year. I saw it in game one. Fatty and company need to look at their game plan going forward if they want to be more consistent in their play. Too much mocking of other teams when in fact they should be looking at how teams have built and remained powerhouses over long periods of time, like the Pats and Yankees.

Real Jet fans know the pain that Sox fans went through for all those years. One day we will have our 2004, I'm just hoping it happens in my lifetime. I figure werdawheat and Phat Rex would have disappeared by now, so I could come chat about football a little without being attached to the two of them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

it's not new news that the giants and patriots are on the bottom of the list when it comes to total defense.

fwiw, I heard they had 9 sacks in the playoffs.  Additional ones vs. the patriots, at the right time, would certainly cause problems.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dyslexic. Show dyslexic's posts

[QUOTE]If Vince can play like that again, who can stop him? Pressure up the middle won the last one for the Giants. Turnaround is fair play.
    Posted by JohnTAlouette[/QUOTE]

It has to be disciplined so that Manning does not go outside the pocket. There's a great article on Boston.com on what the Redskins did to beat them twice this year:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2012/01/27/the_skinny_on_beating_the_giants/