Myths and Realities I: Spread vs. Pro Style Offense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Myths and Realities I: Spread vs. Pro Style Offense

The terms "spread offense" and pro-style offense" are thrown around a lot. No one ever defines precisely how they are using these terms in relation to quaterback play, play action, skill sets required to run each and most importantly who is best suited to run what and why.  Specifically, what teams and QB's are best suited to each and why? Your comments?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

Re: Myths and Realities I: Spread vs. Pro Style Offense

A spread offense utilizes multiple receivers spread out across the line of scrimmage that run quick slants that a weak armed quarterback can usually make throws, also the quarterback is never under-center always in pistol or shotgun, there is no play action. Pro is more what you see in the Pro's with the quarterback taking snaps from under-center and in shotgun and pistol, can use more heavy sets like run based sets. Usually these are based on play action passing. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Myths and Realities I: Spread vs. Pro Style Offense:
    A spread offense utilizes multiple receivers spread out across the line of scrimmage that run quick slants that a weak armed quarterback can usually make throws, also the quarterback is never under-center always in pistol or shotgun, there is no play action. Pro is more what you see in the Pro's with the quarterback taking snaps from under-center and in shotgun and pistol, can use more heavy sets like run based sets. Usually these are based on play action passing. 
    Posted by thejoshuatree28

Shotgun and pistols are not pro style. pro style offenses are complex, balanced, and require quarterbacks with good decision-making abilities, with offensive lines that are adept at both run and pass blocking, and running backs who are capable of running between the tackles . Offenses that fall under the pro style category include the West Coast offense, the Air Coryell Offense, and the Erhart-Perkins offensive system.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

In Response to Re: Myths and Realities I: Spread vs. Pro Style Offense : Shotgun and pistols are not pro style. pro style offenses are complex, balanced, and require quarterbacks with good decision-making abilities, with offensive lines that are adept at both run and pass blocking, and running backs who are capable of running between the tackles . Offenses that fall under the pro style category include the West Coast offense, the Air Coryell Offense, and the Erhart-Perkins offensive system.
    Posted by kansaspatriot

Pistol and Shotgun are pro style, but the quarterback isn't exclusively in one of these in formations. Pro style offense's are going to contain elements of the spread, although it doesn't work well if they are in it all the time (unfortunatly the pats for some of the year) hence they use different formations, unlike college spreads where they pretty much spread it out all the time.

I do agree with you that in traditional Pro style offences the QB was under center, but not pro offense now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Myths and Realities I: Spread vs. Pro Style Offense : Pistol and Shotgun are pro stylePosted by thejoshuatree28

I never heard that. there is no way a shotgun is pro style. and a pistol is a hybrid of the shotgun or single back offense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Is this a serious question? If you dont know the difference then keep your training wheels on a little longer. And you thread implies that you would be discrediting or supstantiating " myths and realities " as you put , about the spread/pro-style. Its really not that hard to do , which leads me to believe you have no idea what your talking about and just wanted to sound cool. JTree did a pretty good job of defining them except Id have to disagree with the point about receivers. Most spreads utilize their receivers down field , or I should say at least 2 of their receivers down field. That was the knock on Crabtree last year and Thomas has the same perception about him this year. Thomas has tons of potential , but has ran two routes his whole time in college , deep post or seem. The offense is used to open up vertical seem routes for receivers and backs. As I said thats a big knock on Thomas this year , do you really want to pay a guy first round money who hasnt shown any pro-style ability. Compare him to a guy like Eric Decker from Minnesota who has played in a pro-style O and played very well in it. Hes probably not going to run away from anyone , but will catch everything thrown to him and has shown he can run the necessary routes that you will need to run to make it in the league. This goes to another point , but drafting receivers in the first round is extremely risky and more often than not doesnt work out. The receiver position and now w/ so many teams switching to the 3-4 D , you have to be very precarious drafting OLB's. I hear so many on here screaming about a pass rush , its a fair point , but I think their screaming about it because they really dont know that much about football. Im sorry , but my 11 y/o nephew can tell me that we had no pass rush. So you want to draft and potentialy waste a first rounder just becaus we have a need? If you think that we just need a pass rush and the rest of the D is fine then your a moron. And I think that the case w/ 99% of the people on here. I hear things like " we're loaded at the S position " and " Seymour wouldn't have made a difference last year " . The last quote was from ZBELL , LOL I cant believe people actually inquire his opinion LOL. Yea teams ran at will on what would have been Sey's side , but having maybe the best 3-4 DE ever wouldnt have made a difference. Get all the pass rushers you want , if you dont have a solid guy you can depend on playing the 5 technique your not stopping the run. And our S position is anything , but loaded , LOL! Listen Im a Meriweather fan , but he took a big step backward last year and was a huge liability. Theres only a few teams in the league that do it , but the PATS are one of them who use their S's interchangeably. Meri. didnt wrap up , mostly because he never had a chance to because of the terrible angles he took ALL YEAR , not just in the last Ravens game. Those two along w/ the other ILB spot and CB spot are big time needs. Combine that w/ the fact that we have multiple needs on O and it looks like this team is rebuilding not retooling , theres been some debate about that on here and in other PATS circles that Im in. LOL I wouldnt say Im in this circle at all , LOL theres such a clique on here its not funny. It kind of reminds me of a bunch of tired , old , dry ex-g/f-wives club that think their still hot and in demand , LOL when in fact they dont know half as much about football as they like to think they do. Thats a huge reason why theres not more people on here , all you guys like LAZ , MBEAU , ZBELL , PATS49 , and countless others are such puss ies . They have no problem yeaing each other other to deaf and agreeing w/ each other that when someone comes along and calls them out on something they run , hide and pretend they dont exist. They'll post something that makes absolutely no sense or just something you happen to disagree w/ , but are afraid to debate w/ someone that might kick their azz. Its really sad if you think about it , first you have some of these guys who spend every waking moment on here and still dont know sh it about the game. Then you have the losers that think " well we got 12 and BB , what can go wrong " ? God f'in forbide you make a valid point that challenge's/question's or disagree's w/ BB/Kraft or Brady's methods. You do that and your " not a real fan " , your " troll ". Hey Im wrong all the time , not really , but for discussion purposes lets go w/ it. I have no problem w/ someone disagreeing w/ me and wanting to debate w/ me about sports. LOL Maybe Im wrong , but I thought this was suspose a place for that type discourse ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

In Response to Re: Myths and Realities I: Spread vs. Pro Style Offense : I never heard that. there is no way a shotgun is pro style. and a pistol is a hybrid of the shotgun or single back offense.
    Posted by kansaspatriot

Well my point is, and perhaps I'm wrong, but because many pro-style offense now incorporate the shotgun into their offensive system, does that not make it pro style?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Pro-style simply refers to college offenses that are similar to systems run in the NFL.  This means no f*ck*ng option plays (instead, they'll use subtle misdirection plays involving footwork and receivers in motion for reverse fakes, et al).  What pro scouts really want is skill players who are forced to make NFL-level reads and adjustments on their own.  Formations include, but are not limited to:
    -Shotgun (no option plays)
    -I formation
    -Single back

Spread can also refer to a few different offenses, but it's typically used when referring to teams that use the spread to PASS.  The QB can be under center (run n' gun) or in shotgun.  When scouts look for NFL QB's, they want a QB who can see the field from under center because there is a greater threat of running the ball from under center, which makes it tougher for defenses to read what the play is right from the snap.  Under center also requires a lot more footwork.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Pro-style simply refers to college offenses that are similar to systems run in the NFL.  Posted by NickC1188

Yeah this is why Miami was able to dominate in the 80's and early 90's by recruiting pro-style QB's. 

but a traditional pro-style offense doesn't inculde the shotgun. the shotgun is a a different package. here's an article that gives some insight as Meyer tried to get Tebow some pro-style experience:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2009/09/04/1216788/florida-gators-opener-an-opportunity.html 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-shotgunformation-080107,0,6122327.story

The shotgun originated in the Pro's in 1961, so I am pretty sure that makes it pro style. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

LMAO, now this is a good post! Ask 10 different people and you get 10 different answers and opinions. The truth is it doesnt matter there are  so many ways you can play a football game. West Coast offense, Regular offense, Split offense, Run and Shoot, Shot Gun, Etc. etc.............. The thing is we now live in a time where evertyhing is given a name by someone. Then 3 or 4 years later no one knows what your even talking about

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsordie. Show patsordie's posts

LMAO, now this is a good post! Ask 10 different people and you get 10 different answers and opinions. The truth is it doesnt matter there are  so many ways you can play a football game. West Coast offense, Regular offense, Split offense, Run and Shoot, Shot Gun, Etc. etc.............. The thing is we now live in a time where evertyhing is given a name by someone. Then 3 or 4 years later no one knows what your even talking about
    Posted by Stompper

Absolutely. Whats with "wildcat"?? Again that was something that was used in college football predominantly and once Miami had some success with it, almost all NFL teams now are now ready for it. So why break your head over where something originated and where it belongs as long as you know what it is.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Did anyone notice how the Wildcat disappeared once the Jets showed everyone how to stop it?  And once Miami realized that Chad Henne was a decent traditional NFL QB in his own right?

The Wildcat is a gimmick and a fad - it will never be anything more than a change of pace.

If the Wildcat is a "pro-style" offense, then so is the punt-fake and the field-goal fake.

Pro-style offense means the whole playbook can be run in the NFL on a regular basis, not merely that NFL teams happen to use it (they'd use anything once or twice if they thinks it gives them a chance to win).