Nate Byham has taken the open spot on the roster!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

Nate Byham has taken the open spot on the roster!

The Patriots and TE Nate Byham have agreed to a contract, the 6'4" 265 lb former 6th round draft choice of the 49ers and a former TE with the Schiano coached TB Buccaneers is a prototypical in line TE who excels as a blocking TE. The next question is does this mean that there will be no Dustin Keller sightings at the Razor in a Patriots uniform?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Nate Byham has taken the open spot on the roster!

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:

The Patriots and TE Nate Byham have agreed to a contract, the 6'4" 265 lb former 6th round draft choice of the 49ers and a former TE with the Schiano coached TB Buccaneers is a prototypical in line TE who excels as a blocking TE. The next question is does this mean that there will be no Dustin Keller sightings at the Razor in a Patriots uniform?

They both play different positions, so one has no bearing on the other. 

I read the Keller situation that he has not signed anywhere yet, as good news for the pats

I also read the situation, that with the current crop of TE's and Gronks current injury situation and history, Keller should want to come here on a 1 year deal, get a fair amount of snaps, play with TB, and re establish his health and value. Let's face it, if he comes here, shows health and picks up the play book, most likely he is on the field game 1 first offensive snap of the game

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

Rkarp... before you get bashed.... they both play TE. They just play a different role from each other. Keller is more a move/pass catcher and Byham is a blocker. I think this is mostly a camp signing and unless Byham blows everyone away, he will not make the roster.

--- " I am a happy fan, a proud fan and I want us to win every game 28-0 but as long as we win, the team is united and has a sense of respect to the community and the game I will be a patriots fan and damn proud of it." ---- signed a pats fan from middle earth

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Pats-bilbo's comment:

Rkarp... before you get bashed.... they both play TE. They just play a different role from each other. Keller is more a move/pass catcher and Byham is a blocker. I think this is mostly a camp signing and unless Byham blows everyone away, he will not make the roster.

--- " I am a happy fan, a proud fan and I want us to win every game 28-0 but as long as we win, the team is united and has a sense of respect to the community and the game I will be a patriots fan and damn proud of it." ---- signed a pats fan from middle earth

True, I implied that their positions are not redundant, and for what it is worth, the pats do split the TE position as well as the WR position on their depth chart. 

I would think that Byham is more competition for Devlin, not Keller if becomes in

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Nothing to get too excited about, but he could end up being the Matt Mulligan replacement.  He's more a blocker than a receiver and could play a role in the running game because of that. 

I think he suffered a knee injury last year, so not sure whether he'll be fully recovered from that or not. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Keller has yet to be medically cleared to play and would fail a physical at this point. With training camp this week a body was needed at TE so Byham is brought in. They say the Pat's are still very interested in Keller but depending on his health and salary demands he may view the Pat's as a back up team and is trying for a better deal somewhere else.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Nothing to get too excited about, but he could end up being the Matt Mulligan replacement.  He's more a blocker than a receiver and could play a role in the running game because of that. 

I think he suffered a knee injury last year, so not sure whether he'll be fully recovered from that or not. 

Agree here.  We'll see how he does.  And you are correct, pro, IR due to ACL last October:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4765000/source-patriots-agree-with-te-nate-byham" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4765000/source-patriots-agree-with-te-nate-byham" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4765000/source-patriots-agree-with-te-nate-byham

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

My only problem with this thread is the use of the exclamation point. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

I thought the Pats were only supposed to be signing all pro caliber players this year for redundant backup capability. T-cal is going to poo-poo this, too low risk...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Punctuation junky!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

That pretty much sums it up.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I thought the Pats were only supposed to be signing all pro caliber players this year for redundant backup capability. T-cal is going to poo-poo this, too low risk...

Is this a redundant back up position of need?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

The Exclamation point only shows the finality of the decision. you don't like my threads don't read them, but most importantly don't grade them for their gramatic content. Thnx!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

With everyone questioning Gronks health and ability to survive a full year, definitely. A blocking TE is very much a need.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Lol!  That's was my first thought, too.  Lots of excitement over a camp body.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Honestly I think there will be hundreds of signings like this at the tight end position before the end of the regular season (well not hundreds, but it sounds better), and most likely we will all be giddy when they find someone that can catch 20 balls and not get mowed over in the blocking game. Then we will hear about how awesome our GM is before the guy is cut this time next year.

Personally I think they have given up on what they were before - the two tight end offense - and will be happy with gronk and a blocking tight end. I think the offense will feature much more passes to the backs this year and hopefully more passes to young receivers that got better over the off season (Boyce, Thompkins and Dobson).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

With everyone questioning Gronks health and ability to survive a full year, definitely. A blocking TE is very much a need.

[object HTMLDivElement]

So it's not redundant, Right?

That's kinda my point.  They need a capable starter, not some jag.

Already lost one starter that was never replaced.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

So it's not redundant, Right?

That's kinda my point.  They need a capable starter, not some jag.

Already lost one starter that was never replaced.

Unfortunately they do not have Hernandez's money to work with, so they can't just sign another pro bowl caliber player at this point. I'm ok with a competent lower priced option, and if it's not this particular guy, that's ok too. More bodies will be available as cuts get made.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Good blocking TE's are real valuable. Its not all about catching passes.

Sections
Shortcuts