Nate Solder

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Nate Solder

We were told had a huge upside. Tall but thin. Was told to hit the weight room and bulk up. He looks the same to me. No added weight or strength that I saw. Very thin arms. Gronk looks stronger to me.

Yes, yes first game but this ain't CO Nate. Where's the beef?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Nate Solder

The guy is listed at 320.  Yeah he's tall, but there are other tackles his height that are around his weight.  I'm not too concerned about that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Hopefully his second year isn't like McCourty's

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from coatesfan. Show coatesfan's posts

He needs get down lower and really bend the knees.   Maybe bulking up in the off season (which he did!) will make have to work on that before the real games start.  I still feel good about him.  He has a lot of talent.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

New position for him. He has the skills. He will be okay.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

You realize preseason is mainly about working on your weaknesses and not showing of your strengths right? This kids has amazing skills and needs better/improved mechanics than bigger arms.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I'm sure Coach Scar will have him ready for game one. Solder was very good last year and Scar is one of the best O-line coaches on the planet.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

He's still raw and will only get better as he gets more experience.  He hasn't even had a full starting season under his belt yet, and the demands of his position are high.  He had an off night last night, I'm not overly concerned.

As far as weight and strength go, here he is a little over a year ago and I can assure you he is bigger and stronger now having worked with professional NFL strength and conditioning coaches. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv3qhRJB-A0

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

We need Solder to step up this year. We need Vollmer as bad. His back worries me. Tall guys typically don't come back 100% after their back has issues.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I imagine Solder will be fine, but people forget how big a deal it is to play the left tackle spot. The left tackle spot dooms offenses when they don't have a good one, I remember when Bruce Armstrong went down, it was a nightmare until we got Light. Solder has as much talent as anyone - I think it will just take time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I can remember Reggie White beating Matt Light like a drum in the Super Bowl, this is the first pre-season game of the year... perspective is all I'm saying.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Nate Solder:
    [QUOTE]I can remember Reggie White beating Matt Light like a drum in the Super Bowl, this is the first pre-season game of the year... perspective is all I'm saying.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Do you mean Max Lane? He played right tackle and White just got under his left arm and tossed him aside before crushing Bledsoe on back to back plays.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nate Solder : Do you mean Max Lane? He played right tackle and White just got under his left arm and tossed him aside before crushing Bledsoe on back to back plays.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

You're right, my point being everybody gets beat and this is pre-season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

ONE PRESEASON GAME

And if he doesn't look bigger to you that's fine. 

As long as he is were the Pats want him to be, I guess it doesn't matter what our eyes see.

Still 5 weeks out for when it matters. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Matt Light is substantially smaller than Solder.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Dang, I've heard of overpraise a player based on game 1 of the preseason, but to question him?

Chill, brother...kick back some brewskis and enjoy. The fun part just started.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]Matt Light is substantially smaller than Solder.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Yup....and Thomas "The Hit Man Hearns" stated at the Hearns/Hagler pre-fight interview, I thought I was signing to fight a man and I see I'm fighting a midget (or something to that effect. Anyway that didn't turn out too well for Hearns.

Just to be clear. Solder did not have an "off" night or a bad night. He was quite simply putrid on every play. He better get what's wrong right quickly, very quickly.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nate Solder : Yup....and Thomas "The Hit Man Hearns" stated at the Hearns/Hagler pre-fight interview, I thought I was signing to fight a man and I see I'm fighting a midget (or something to that effect. Anyway that didn't turn out too well for Hearns. Just to be clear. Solder did not have an "off" night or a bad night. He was quite simply putrid on every play. He better get what's wrong right quickly, very quickly.
    Posted by NoMorePensionLooting[/QUOTE]

I saw poor offensive pass blocking across the board, on the play Tommy got hammered and fumbled, Cannon and the rest were also standing there watching the play fall apart, they stopped playing before they heard a whistle. 

Preseason is for working out the kinks, Solder was dominant in most of his minutes last season. We're starting a lot of young guys due to injury.  

Solder played quite a bit for a rookie and if he doesn't work out at tackle he'd make a hell of a road paving tightend, and he's athletic enough to do it.  

By the time preseason ends the O line will be a well tuned machine.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nate Solder : I saw poor offensive pass blocking across the board, on the play Tommy got hammered and fumbled, Cannon and the rest were also standing there watching the play fall apart, they stopped playing before they heard a whistle.  Preseason is for working out the kinks, Solder was dominant in most of his minutes last season. We're starting a lot of young guys due to injury.   Solder played quite a bit for a rookie and if he doesn't work out at tackle he'd make a hell of a road paving tightend, and he's athletic enough to do it.   By the time preseason ends the O line will be a well tuned machine.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

It was a mess, but it's way too early to get worried about it.  Between the guys who might come back and the young guys who will get more experience, there's still plenty of time for this to improve. 

The bright side about the injuries to the veterans is its giving a lot more reps to the young guys, which means our back ups should be much better prepared once the starters get healthy.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nate Solder :  The bright side about the injuries to the veterans is its giving a lot more reps to the young guys, which means our back ups should be much better prepared once the starters get healthy.  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Good point^

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

It's obvious after one pre-season game that he sucks.  He'll never make the HOF so let's cut him now and get Anthony Munoz (sigh)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Solder has a few things working for him.

A. Freakish size and athleticism
    B. A frame he can improve on/add more mass to.
    C. The best Oline coach in the NFL helping him learn the ins and outs of playing LT in the NFL.

He'll be fine, its the preseason and he has about a month to improve.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]Solder has a few things working for him. A. Freakish size and athleticism B. A frame he can improve on/add more mass to. C. The best Oline coach in the NFL helping him learn the ins and outs of playing LT in the NFL. He'll be fine, its the preseason and he has about a month to improve.
    Posted by GadisRKO[/QUOTE]

+1

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Nate Solder": [QUOTE]I'm sure Coach Scar will have him ready for game one. Solder was very good last year and Scar is one of the best O-line coaches on the planet. Posted by magicalhobo[/QUOTE] Hope you're right hobo, because if the OL stinks it up, all is lost on all fronts, whereas if they're good, this team could easily win it all. All depends on them. The defense will be improved IMO, but will be exposed again if the OL can't protect Brady. And God forbid someone comes blind side and hurts him again.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Nate Solder": [QUOTE]It's obvious after one pre-season game that he sucks.  He'll never make the HOF so let's cut him now and get Anthony Munoz (sigh) Posted by sfpat[/QUOTE] ....and this Brandon Lloyd chump hasn't even caught a td pass yet. Dump him.....