National Felon League

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

National Felon League

What is the deal with these guys?  Every other day there is a new story about a football player getting in trouble with the law. 

Check out this one about Ahmad Brooks.

I don't recall anything like this before.  Is it more because news travels so quickly these days, or are the players becoming worse and worse people?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: National Felon League

I won't entertain anything that Rush Limbaugh started and this is a Rush Limbaugh talking point because the NFL players told him to get lost when he tried to buy a NFL team a few years back. Back then, his Jabba the Hurt looking self had no problem with the league's "thug" image and "culture", but now he wants to lead the charge against these "thugs". Statistics have already proved that NFL players, on average, have a much lower arrest rate per population than the nation population of males ages 18-35. So the "NFelonL" is nothing more a media creation to try to capitalize on the freshly provided black eye that Aaron Hernandez gave the league. Hern was a bonehead, there are other boneheads in the NFL that won't grow up, but they are,  by far and large, the minority of the league.

You hear about an arrest because why would the media want you to hear about how of the 4000 NFL players on rosters, with the 93 player roster expansion, that only about 35-40 (1%) have been arrested since the SB ?  Also, the same guys leading the way about the league's "gun and violence" culture are the same people who would cry out about their second amendment right and how Obama is a tyrant if some told them to stop having guns.

Dont buy into the hype, it's not real. Especially if you take out the arrests of the 40 that were marijuana possession charges. Gun possession and violent charges are one thing, but weed charges are an eye roller.

Ol' McCourty had an INT....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

You hear about an arrest because why would the media want you to hear about how of the 4000 NFL players on rosters, with the 93 player roster expansion, that only about 35-40 (1%) have been arrested since the SB ?  Also, the same guys leading the way about the league's "gun and violence" culture are the same people who would cry out about their second amendment right and how Obama is a tyrant if some told them to stop having guns.

Dont buy into the hype, it's not real. Especially if you take out the arrests of the 40 that were marijuana possession charges. Gun possession and violent charges are one thing, but weed charges are an eye roller.

Many will write it off with the "there are so many guys, there are bound to be some bad apples in there" routine.  Not me.  These guys are more than football players.  They are public figures.  The are to be held to a higher standard.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]

Many will write it off with the "there are so many guys, there are bound to be some bad apples in there" routine.  Not me.  These guys are more than football players.  They are public figures.  The are to be held to a higher standard.

[/QUOTE]

You mean held to standards like these current stars. Who had issues in their past.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/colts/2003-11-04-manning-suit_x.htm?loc=interstitialskip

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2009-12-08/sports/bal-sp.md.ci.suggs08dec08_1_suggs-fiancee-order-friday-requiring-suggs-suggs-agent

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/357551-ben-roethlisbergers-sexual-assault-the-latest-victim-of-idiocy-in-fame

Seems to me their current teams aren't doing their due dilligence on these players.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

You mean held to standards like these current stars. Who had issues in their past.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/colts/2003-11-04-manning-suit_x.htm?loc=interstitialskip

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2009-12-08/sports/bal-sp.md.ci.suggs08dec08_1_suggs-fiancee-order-friday-requiring-suggs-suggs-agent

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/357551-ben-roethlisbergers-sexual-assault-the-latest-victim-of-idiocy-in-fame

Seems to me their current teams aren't doing their due dilligence on these players.

Lots of bad guys. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

Lots of bad guys. 

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely!!! point being the Pat's are no different than the other 31 teams. They try and do their dilligence on players and hope for the best. They are not perfect and neither are the other 31 teams.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How about you make people who've actually accomplished something be your public figures. I've never looked up to an athlete, no normal child should.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Absolutely!!! point being the Pat's are no different than the other 31 teams. They try and do their dilligence on players and hope for the best. They are not perfect and neither are the other 31 teams.

They certainly can't be perfect.  People are people.  No one other than Rusty is perfect.

They need to do a better job, however.  29 guys from the league arrested (the reason doesn't matter...breaking the law is breaking the law) in five months is terrible.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

How about you make people who've actually accomplished something be your public figures. I've never looked up to an athlete, no normal child should.

You've confused public figures with role models.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

They certainly can't be perfect.  People are people.  No one other than Rusty is perfect.

They need to do a better job, however.  29 guys from the league arrested (the reason doesn't matter...breaking the law is breaking the law) in five months is terrible.

[/QUOTE]

We are going to agree to disagree here... I don't think the teams can be held responsible unless they are complicit to the crime. Don't think I have ever witnessed an NFL team co-charged or tried in a  criminal case with a player. IMHO It is up to the player or indivisual to have personal accountability.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

We are going to agree to disagree here... I don't think the teams can be held responsible unless they are complicit to the crime. Don't think I have ever witnessed an NFL team co-charged or tried in a  criminal case with a player. IMHO It is up to the player or indivisual to have personal accountability.

This message board is amazing.  It's like almost everyone take a big swig from the "Be A Dick" container before posting.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Mortensen downplaying on espn,

"Its only about one percent."

ANY percent would seem troubling but its part of nfl culture now.

Broken down differently more than one arrest a week.

ending threads since '07

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The league could institute rules to limit the number of arrests.  How about, "Get convicted of a felony, get kicked out of the league forever."  Or maybe, "Get arrested for any reason three times in any ten year span and get kicked out of the league forever."

I bet some guys would think twice about some of their actions.  I also bet the team would institute some safekeeping measures to assist in keeping them out of trouble.  Lots of guys getting busted driving drunk?  Well, Team A has issued a required limo driver system where anytime a player decides to go out for more than a beer at dinner, he must use the team transport system.  Problem solved.

None of that is going to happen, but there are things that can be done.  To suggest that sign and hope is the only possible action is shortsighted. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

This message board is amazing.  It's like almost everyone take a big swig from the "Be A Dick" container before posting.

[/QUOTE]

Since you started posting here you have done nothing but bash the orginization which is fine.  Everyone has a right to their opinion but as soon as someone (not talking about rusty) disagrees with you and you act like you have been insulted and demonized. Perhaps you might want to take a step away from the "container" you referenced  before posting.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

The league could institute rules to limit the number of arrests.  How about, "Get convicted of a felony, get kicked out of the league forever."  Or maybe, "Get arrested for any reason three times in any ten year span and get kicked out of the league forever."

I bet some guys would think twice about some of their actions.  I also bet the team would institute some safekeeping measures to assist in keeping them out of trouble.  Lots of guys getting busted driving drunk?  Well, Team A has issued a required limo driver system where anytime a player decides to go out for more than a beer at dinner, he must use the team transport system.  Problem solved.

None of that is going to happen, but there are things that can be done.  To suggest that sign and hope is the only possible action is shortsighted. 

[/QUOTE]

Where did I say sign and hope. Did you skip over the dilligence part of my original post?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Since you started posting here you have done nothing but bash the orginization which is fine.  Everyone has a right to their opinion but as soon as someone (not talking about rusty) disagrees with you and you act like you have been insulted and demonized. Perhaps you might want to take a step away from the "container" you referenced  before posting.

Certainly not!  I am and have always been down on Belichick's GM approach.  What have I said that has been bashing the Patriots organization?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Where did I say sign and hope. Did you skip over the dilligence part of my original post?

I got that from "IMHO It is up to the player or indivisual to have personal accountability".  If I misinterpreted it, that's my error.  (I make a lot of them.)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

Certainly not!  I am and have always been down on Belichick's GM approach.  What have I said that has been bashing the Patriots organization?

[/QUOTE]

So you are the type of poster who deletes posts and only references certain words or sentences within posts to make your point. Seems pretty disingenious to me.

Like I said in a previous post we are going to agree to disagree on this point. Sorry if you feel I am drinking out of your container.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

I got that from "IMHO It is up to the player or indivisual to have personal accountability".  If I misinterpreted it, that's my error.  (I make a lot of them.)

[/QUOTE]

Not a problem like I said we are going to agree to disagree on this particular issue. I have zero problem with your stance and actually like some of the ideas you suggested the NFL try and adopt. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

So you are the type of poster who deletes posts and only references certain words or sentences within posts to make your point. Seems pretty disingenious to me.

That's one way to look at it.

Another way would be that I edit the quote box to reduce clutter and to make it clear what I'm responding to.  I don't take things out of context to make my point.

But, you know, spin it however you like.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

That's one way to look at it.

Another way would be that I edit the quote box to reduce clutter and to make it clear what I'm responding to.  I don't take things out of context to make my point.

But, you know, spin it however you like.

[/QUOTE]

Spin??? all of my words are on record to see. Are yours? Seems like unless i copy when replying to you that is the only way to capture your original content. 

If you wan't to call it spin that is your prerogative . I call it back and forth debate and discussion.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Spin??? all of my words are on record to see. Are yours? Seems like unless i copy when replying to you that is the only way to capture your original content. 

If you wan't to call it spin that is your prerogative . I call it back and forth debate and discussion.

Wait wait wait.  Jesus this is turning into such a big misunderstanding.

No, I don't edit or delete my own posts.  I thought you were referring to the quotebox.  I edit that down to what I'm responding to, removing everything else that is irrelevant.  All of my posts are here for everyone to see.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

Wait wait wait.  Jesus this is turning into such a big misunderstanding.

No, I don't edit or delete my own posts.  I thought you were referring to the quotebox.  I edit that down to what I'm responding to, removing everything else that is irrelevant.  All of my posts are here for everyone to see.

[/QUOTE]

Back to the real issue. we are most likely going to agree to disagree on the responsibility after diligence is done by teams as to who is reponsible for players stepping out of line. I did like some of your suggestions regarding the NFL setting up parameters for committing crimes but that could be a legal slippery slope until a player has been given due process.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Back to the real issue. we are most likely going to agree to disagree on the responsibility after diligence is done by teams as to who is reponsible for players stepping out of line. I did like some of your suggestions regarding the NFL setting up parameters for committing crimes but that could be a legal slippery slope until a player has been given due process.

Yeah, they wouldn't really be able to get away with "fined or cut or barred" just for being arrested, but if nothing else, it would be the league trying to do something more than what they're doing now.  That appears to be nothing.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts