National Media Back on Pat's Jocks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

National Media Back on Pat's Jocks

Check out this ESPN video where Trent Dilfer stumps for "The Patriot Way."  It's the exact same thing the media said 2002-2006: lunch pail, just show up to work, accountable, team vs. individual talent, etc.

I've been expecting this--it's part of the cycle of praise and blame we go through rhetorically as a culture.  We love to raise up heroes, love even more to tear 'em down, and we espcially love redemption stories.

Ultimately, history will judge Bill Belichick and this generation of Patriots by their continued excellence, not based on the 2007 season.  As much as I am a Patriots fan, I'm a fan of the game and its history, and so this process matters to me.  If the Pats win another SB in the next few years, everything that went before will be reinterpreted in a new narrative framework, and 2007 will be not the coda to the story, summing up and unifying themes.  Instead it will be the krisis that the plot turns on, leading to klimax, a resolution to the dramatic tension before it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: National Media Back on Pat's Jocks

Agree.

It was only a matter of time. What I find pathetic is the predictablity and transparency in which the media does it, though.   And we know when it really started (2007).

We have millions of jealous fans who took the bait on purpose to bypass, what is really, an absolutely incredible achievement and continued success. They expected it to end in 2009, but it appears to be continuing on if not getting stronger than it looked in 2005 or 2006.

53 players, a salary cap, a large target on your back, his staff raided annually, etc, etc, and Belichick is still rising above it all going about what he does best.

COACH

When you look around the league, who are the great coaches?  Shanahan? Ok, he WAS great.

Jeff Fisher? Ok, good coach. Sure.

I would argue Andy Reid is.  Longest tenured, consistently wins 10+ games per year, took a huge hit with Jim Johnson passing away, tough division, etc.

But, look at the drop off from Belichick to Andy Reid.

It's not even close.

The media now has no choice to see what BB has done, so now we see the media starting to turn.

BB is 45-14 since the Sypgate witch hunt and one season was without Brady:

1. Won 11 games in 2008 with Matt Cassel who hadn't started in 10 years.
    2. Won a division while rebuilding/retooling.
    3. HAs the 2010 at 6-1 while teaching his new players and he has 6 picks in the top 64 of the draft in 2011.

Call me a Kool Aid drinker, homer, whatever you want. What BB is doing here is not only incredible, it's as impressive as anything done in sports right now or NFL history.

I am not even convinced he would lose if Kraft had an open checkbook and there was no cap.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Personally I like it better when they ignore us. The same meatheads had us with an at best .500 season and the usual predictions of the Cowboys and Chargers having big seasons. With brilliant analysis like that why care what they think.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Geez, and there goes that whole media conspiracy thing against us thing.  Darn!  I enjoyed reading those silly threads.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

In Response to Re: National Media Back on Pat's Jocks:
    [QUOTE]Geez, and there goes that whole media conspiracy thing against us thing.  Darn!  I enjoyed reading those silly threads.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

Not a conspiracy just standard media operating procedure.

They're always looking for the next new great thing to push and if it doesn't pan out they'll go on the attack and rip it down.

They don't like the Pats because BB and the organization doesn't give them juicy gossip or soap operas to fill up all the broadcast hours. There's a lot of big egos in sports broadcasting and they don't like BB treating them as if they're small annoying insects that he has to tolerate  but not like.

Look at it this way. You've got ESPN, NFL Network, FOX sports channel all battling for viewers to fill 24/7 hours of programming.  Breaking down each game everyweek doesn't take much time and can't vary much from channel to channel.

The result is all the sports channels looking to scoop each other with breaking news, rumors and soap operas with tweets flying everywhere and every posible story being milked until it becomes boring.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Exactly. No con$piracy.

It's called money.

They can't bash BB and NE now because they are 6-1.  That loses ratings because it hurts their credibility.

Look at Gaspie's long overdue confessional article here just yesterday. This was a mere 3 weeks on the heels of his premise stating Doc Rivers is the best coach in this town.

How do these idiots get or keep their jobs with this logic and analysis? It's a miracle.  No accountability, no research, no rational thought, etc. 

"You're hired!"

The bottom line is, these media heads are prodded to write or speak from an angle that generates them more revenue or potential or more revenue.

Some don't do it, but the ones who want it to be about them, do.  And then they wonder why they can't get access?  lol

BB has no issue granting time and interviews to the generally professional NFL Network and Mike Lombardi, etc, because it's about football itself, not ways for them to make money off BB and the Pats.

And we know this really started back in 2003 with Tom Jackson on ESPN.

Since then, BB has given nothign to ESPN.

And since then, ESPN has tried every which way to smear BB and the Pats.  Obviously, 2007 and Spygate was the perfect vehicle to smear and also make tons of money off the NE Patriots.

The Walsh live display of his tapes showing edits, etc, while ESPN lied to the public, spinning further and further was an absolute disgrace to journalism.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I also think they flatter the Patriots to avoid giving them added motivation.

We'll see how they handle the newfound flattery.  Cleveland smells like a trap.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ASO9771. Show ASO9771's posts

"And we know this really started back in 2003 with Tom Jackson on ESPN. " Tom Jackson is at it again with his whole tyraid about a Coach losing his locker room (again) with Childress and the Moss trade...    this time he may actually be right. Keep swinging Tom J. you may end up with a bunt.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from norichcrybabies. Show norichcrybabies's posts

I wonder if Bruski has handed TJ his lunch over that one yet?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreLurker. Show SShoreLurker's posts

@BBReigns: You are hysterical!!!!  Were you being serious? Please tell me that was not a real take!

"Exactly. No con$piracy.  It's called money." 

Then on lines 18-22 of your rant:

"And we know this really started back in 2003 with Tom Jackson on ESPN.
    Since then, BB has given nothing to ESPN.
    And since then, ESPN has tried every which way to smear BB and the Pats.  Obviously, 2007 and Spygate was the perfect vehicle to smear and also make tons of money off the NE Patriots."

Ummmmmm..... Hey Professor! You just concocted a full-blown conspiracy!!!

Ladies and gentleman, this is why I make fun of most of you.  You do not read yourselves and how idiotic these statements are.  I love the Patriots but are you kidding me???!!! 

Do you think your neighbor is spying on you too?  Your house is bugged with FBI devices?  Men in Black suits walk around making sure everything is ok?

ESPN does blow. They are about interjecting themselves into the storylines.  Where's that hot take on Tampa Bay or Kansas City?   However, you too busy moaning about power rankings and lack of kissing up to the local teams the way you think it should be about!

Try this concept out: Its a national program.  They don't care about your team like you do!  They want the stories that generate eyeballs to the television.  That means controversial stars, not Matinee Idols.   Dallas, Minnesota, NY Jets, Brett Favre, Randy Moss, Donovan McNabb, Micheal Vick, illegal hits, the next Monday Night Game.  All more relevant than kissing BB's 6-1 butt.  If you want local coverage, go bug NESN, CSNNE, 4,5, and 7.  

Otherwise, SHUT THE BLEEPUP!!  damm.. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]Personally I like it better when they ignore us. The same meatheads had us with an at best .500 season and the usual predictions of the Cowboys and Chargers having big seasons. With brilliant analysis like that why care what they think.
    Posted by Evil2010[/QUOTE]

i agree 100%

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

[QUOTE]How do these idiots get or keep their jobs with this logic and analysis? It's a miracle.  No accountability, no research, no rational thought, etc.  "You're hired!"
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Maybe it should be asked how they get hired in the first place?

Interviewer: Do you smoke weed?

Applicant: Ya mon, lots of it. I wakes & bakes. Sometime me friends get me some wit the lacin's on it. Rat poison, weed killer, lye, stuff like that. Makes me see the Almighty & write good stuffs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]@BBReigns: You are hysterical!!!!  Were you being serious? Please tell me that was not a real take! " Exactly. No con$piracy.  It's called money."   Then on lines 18-22 of your rant: "And we know this really started back in 2003 with Tom Jackson on ESPN. Since then, BB has given nothing to ESPN. And since then, ESPN has tried every which way to smear BB and the Pats.  Obviously, 2007 and Spygate was the perfect vehicle to smear and also make tons of money off the NE Patriots." Ummmmmm..... Hey Professor! You just concocted a full-blown conspiracy!!! Ladies and gentleman, this is why I make fun of most of you.  You do not read yourselves and how idiotic these statements are.  I love the Patriots but are you kidding me???!!!  Do you think your neighbor is spying on you too?  Your house is bugged with FBI devices?  Men in Black suits walk around making sure everything is ok? ESPN does blow. They are about interjecting themselves into the storylines.  Where's that hot take on Tampa Bay or Kansas City?   However, you too busy moaning about power rankings and lack of kissing up to the local teams the way you think it should be about! Try this concept out: Its a national program.  They don't care about your team like you do!  They want the stories that generate eyeballs to the television.  That means controversial stars, not Matinee Idols.   Dallas, Minnesota, NY Jets, Brett Favre, Randy Moss, Donovan McNabb, Micheal Vick, illegal hits, the next Monday Night Game.  All more relevant than kissing BB's 6-1 butt.  If you want local coverage, go bug NESN, CSNNE, 4,5, and 7.   Otherwise, SHUT THE BLEEP UP!!  damm.. 
    Posted by SShoreLurker[/QUOTE]

No offense, but you are flat out dumb.

What you said in your last paragraph is EXACTLY what I said.  They do whatever is needed to drive ratings.

You are absolutely clueless.  

I lived in the Midwest from 2004-2009, and I can tell you right now, there was a bubbling jealousy brewing after NE won SB 39.

That was BEFORE Spygate.

Most fans couldn't say anything without looking stupid or jealous, so they had to admit  how great those teams were.

But many already HATED ESPN beacause of an east coast bias.  There is an inferiority element that trickles out fo the Midwest, a little in the South and it absolutley exisst on the west coast.

This is a fact by simply living outside of the New England area, working with other sports fans and becoming friends with people who are diehards of other teams.

Most Midwest sports fans, and I am sure west coast and other regions, are incensed over NE's success and continued succcess.  They seem them as the Yankees.

It's not just NY fans or other AFC rival cities.

You call me an idiot, and I can guarantee you...GURANTEE you, between me knowing people who work directly in that business, knowing how they produce shows, the angles they expect their talking heads to take, etc, and working with people throughout this country and actually living in different regions, it does ESPN absolutley NO GOOD to kiss NE's butt.  Zero benefit.

Period.

The Pats became the Yankees.   Bill Belichick is Darth Vader. That's the angle.  He cheats, he has affairs, he's cheap and evil and ran over your grandmother.

Terrible correlation because there is no cap in baseball, but from a revenue standpoint, the NE will never get ratings on a national after they used Spygate to feed the ratings.

You're flat out daft and need to know how the world works, son.

You're welcome, professor.

You pretending Tom Jackson did not have some weird axe to grind, just like Jamie Dukes does not on NFL Network is flat out hilarious.

Just who is dumb here? Hmmm.

You think BB doesn't grant ESPN any access, but he does NFL Network, just by coincidence?

loL!!!

Connect the dots, kid.

My god.

Anyone seen Peter King with the same access to Foxborough compared to what he had pre 2007???

Hmmm.

Too complex, hey there, little guy?

Do you think Michael Felger acts like a complete tool by accident?

My god, kid. Look at your first sentence back to me.  I ask you: ARE YOU SERIOUS?

What are you, 12?  Let us know when you go off and pay bills and get a paycheck so you know what this world is about.

Gee, why did Logie Mankin$ just hold out? I don't get it. 

Edit:  Ahhh, it makse sense now. YOU are Leon.   Priceless.

I have Leon, a thing with multiple board handles for a living, with multiple personalities, telling me I am dumb.

You can't make this stuff up, folks.

This is probably Butch from the Cape's kid.  If the Globe was smart, they'd trce your IP, send in the local police and bring you in for questioning just as a pre-emptive measure.

Youre like a '00s version of Dahmer, Leon.  Absolutely diseased.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

[QUOTE]@BBReigns: You are hysterical!!!!  Were you being serious? Please tell me that was not a real take! " Exactly. No con$piracy.  It's called money."   Then on lines 18-22 of your rant: "And we know this really started back in 2003 with Tom Jackson on ESPN. Since then, BB has given nothing to ESPN. And since then, ESPN has tried every which way to smear BB and the Pats.  Obviously, 2007 and Spygate was the perfect vehicle to smear and also make tons of money off the NE Patriots." Ummmmmm..... Hey Professor! You just concocted a full-blown conspiracy!!! Ladies and gentleman, this is why I make fun of most of you.  You do not read yourselves and how idiotic these statements are.  I love the Patriots but are you kidding me???!!!  Do you think your neighbor is spying on you too?  Your house is bugged with FBI devices?  Men in Black suits walk around making sure everything is ok? ESPN does blow. They are about interjecting themselves into the storylines.  Where's that hot take on Tampa Bay or Kansas City?   However, you too busy moaning about power rankings and lack of kissing up to the local teams the way you think it should be about! Try this concept out: Its a national program.  They don't care about your team like you do!  They want the stories that generate eyeballs to the television.  That means controversial stars, not Matinee Idols.   Dallas, Minnesota, NY Jets, Brett Favre, Randy Moss, Donovan McNabb, Micheal Vick, illegal hits, the next Monday Night Game.  All more relevant than kissing BB's 6-1 butt.  If you want local coverage, go bug NESN, CSNNE, 4,5, and 7.   Otherwise, SHUT THE BLEEP UP!!  damm.. 
    Posted by SShoreLurker[/QUOTE]

A little early for a temper tantrum isn't it?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

You guys also need to consider the competition and alliances involved. Kraft is involved in several business ventures with CBS. Who are CBS's rivals in the NFL broadcast wars? FOX and Disney/ABC/ESPN. This is not conspiracy theory it's a simple cold fact about a cut throat business involving billions of dollars in advertising money and the talking heads on TV are not immune from it. They know where their paychecks come from.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]You guys also need to consider the competition and alliances involved. Kraft is involved in several business ventures with CBS. Who are CBS's rivals in the NFL broadcast wars? FOX and Disney/ABC/ESPN. This is not conspiracy theory it's a simple cold fact about a cut throat business involving billions of dollars in advertising money and the talking heads on TV are not immune from it. They know where their paychecks come from.
    Posted by Evil2010[/QUOTE]

Very good point. I did not mention this, glad you did.

Kraft is also on the NFL 's media/broadcast committee.   When NFL N debuted around 2006, this is when ESPN really ramped up the anti-NE stuff.

NFL N wanted to broadcast games, etc.  NFL N hired some ESPN heads away from them. 

Get it, wittle Weon?

And yup, not a coincidence the CBS Scene is now at Gillette.  CBS competes with ESPN, obviously.

It's always about money.

Our poor little SSHore/Leon tool apparently hasn't left home yet to figure this out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

It's pretty simple guys, when you win 3 Superbowls in 4 years or 2 or 3 championships in a 4 or 5 year cycle. Football fans or rather sports fans around the country either jump on the bandwagon or shoot bullets at it...It's cyclical and the next team that find's itself in a poition to be seen as a dynasty will be afforded the same treatment. "Everyone loves a winner"

As for ESPN and the national networks, there all about ratings, which drives the price-value of commercial time and the profitablity of the network.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I slightly disagree. I think people get angry when they see success.

There is a Schaudenfreude element tied into this like never before.  Everyone roots against Favre, generally speaking, because they see him as selfish. 

Is it fair? Sure, that probably is.  He's a self centered jerk.

And I have a theory that ties this Schaudenfreude concept the dissolution of the middle class, and the concept of haves and have nots, being as bad as this country has ever seen, or at least pre World War II.

"Everyone loves a winner" was more applicable pre-internet, and pre-overexposure to prasiing these winners via mutliple cable outlets, talk shows, etc.

The constant hammering of how great the Pats are/were is really a turn off.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

They want you to be good, but not that good.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Exactly.

I mean, I get it.  But, to go the lengths that ESPN did on Spygate?  They knew what they were doing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Rusty is right about one thing.

As a transplaneted yankee in the midwest I can tell you that the "east coast bias" is a huge popcorn kernel in the teeth of many sports fans in this part of the country. Brett Favre can lead every broadcast of SportsCenter for a month, and Bjorn Nygaard will look you straight in the eye and tell you that ESPN has a huge "east coast bias." Forget that perennial powerhouses like the Yankees and the Red Sox and the Celtics reside in the east. Forget that more than half the country is asleep when the west coast scores come in. Forget that Wonder Boys Sidney Crosby and Aleksander Ovechkin play in the east. Forget that Tiger Woods . . .

well . . .

okay . . .

that one doesn't work,

But playing the "east coast bias" card is another way of playing the "disrespect" card. It's a way for fans in flyover country (they hate that, too) to feel vindicated without his favorite team having to accomplish anything.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

[QUOTE]Rusty is right about one thing. As a transplaneted yankee in the midwest I can tell you that the "east coast bias" is a huge popcorn kernel in the teeth of many sports fans in this part of the country. Brett Favre can lead every broadcast of SportsCenter for a month, and Bjorn Nygaard will look you straight in the eye and tell you that ESPN has a huge "east coast bias." Forget that perennial powerhouses like the Yankees and the Red Sox and the Celtics reside in the east. Forget that more than half the country is asleep when the west coast scores come in. Forget that Wonder Boys Sidney Crosby and Aleksander Ovechkin play in the east. Forget that Tiger Woods . . . well . . . okay . . . that one doesn't work, But playing the "east coast bias" card is another way of playing the "disrespect" card. It's a way for fans in flyover country (they hate that, too) to feel vindicated without his favorite team having to accomplish anything.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]
    I am a midwesterner.  We do believe in east coast bias, because it exists.  Anyone unwilling to admit can't see the forest for the trees.  But we have to be rational enough to understand why it exists.  

6 of the 10 largest US MSA's are on East Coast time and only one of those is substantially inland (ATL). 

Outliers - Like Favre will always exist.  Beyond the outliers, you will always see information focused on the east coast. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Of course it exists.  As you mentions, it's about money. But, it's also about teams that happen to be successful.

Just go back and look how young this country is, where the populations first developed, where the world bank was moved to after World War I, etc.

Apparently, only Leon doesn't get this concept.

My only issue is, organizations who disparage others successeses.  It's weak, unprofessional and unnecessary. 

You can be angry all you want behind closed doors, but comeptition is competition and success is success.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

Except when you earn your success outside the parameters of the rules.  Which the pats did.  Feel free to deny it all you like.  It won't change that fact. 

Whether or not the rule breaking had any effect on the team's success is up for discussion, and both sides of the debate have their arguement.  Pats fans understandably don't like this, but at a minimum pats fans have to realize that the pats invited the questions, criticism, and media attention all by themselves.  

Sections
Shortcuts