NE 2009 Compensatory picks..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

I think you've got a good shot at that 3rd rounder (the higest compensatory pick there is) for Asante. But I seem to remember that the cutoff point for a 4th rounder was about $6 million per year LAST year. (I know it's an unrevealed and complicated calculation in actuality, but there do seem to be rough cutoff points.) I definitely see that Stallworth pick being no better than a 5th.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

- Ricky

Even though he has improved he is not in the top 5 of QBs. Not even close. To place the frachise tag on him is just plain silly. He would become untradable then. The Pats are plain stuck. If Brady isn't ready to play next year it will be O'Connell at the helm.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 00chief00. Show 00chief00's posts

you guys are kidding yourselves if you think we will get more then a 2nd rounder for cassel. we wont get a first and third sorry. They will place the franchise tag on him only for the purposes of a trade. then remove the tag. Its done all the time.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

Wasn't Stallworth cut? I thought he was cut to avoid a roster bonus. If so the Pats won't be getting a pick for him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Back to the Draft. If, as many (Mayock) expect, a large number of underclassmen declare due to the CBA and potential for a rookie cap afterwards this could be a very deep draft. If that happens the Pats will be in a great position to acquire young talent. With the comp. picks, SD pick, and are own draft picks it gives the Pats Braintrust roam to move. I'd like to see the Pats get say Aaron Curry (or an impact player for the secondary), but it's still to early to tell who will fall where.

As for Cassell, there is a strong possibilty he bolts and the Pats get little or nothing for him. I'd like to see the Pats franchise and package him for picks, but I don't see it happening. I wonder if Cassell would stick around for the home-town eternal contender discount ? If he goes to a weak offense and average coaching staff he will struggle. Is going to end up with a receiving corps as good as the one he's currently with (Moss, Welker, Gaffney.) ? I doubt it and there could be unrealistic expectations. Let's be honest, the Pats staff seriously coached-up and gave Cassell a huge shot; he would not be playing in the league ( how many 7th round starting QBs can you name ?) were it not for the NE brass and that has to count for something. As always, I don't begrudge a player leaving for $$$$, but I always like to see some loyalty. Unfortunately, I think Cassell is gone and the comp will be minimal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

No they didn't pick up his option. That is an interesting question. Does an option count as a FA?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

please stop with the franchising of cassell, that is a dumb move and why you guys are message board Gm's. cassell is an ok qb not worth a first round pick again please stoop with the franchise tag, the pats have alot of good players with expiring deals that are more pressing than the back up qb, do you really think he is worth 10 million a year? that is what you will pay him if you tag him....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulK3. Show PaulK3's posts

I've been around a while. I saw Deion Branch go for huge bucks. I saw Damien Woody go. I've seen so many Patriots sidemen and bit players go for platinum prices. Now the Pats may well finish 11-5 with a tested ace quarterback hitting the market. BB rode this guy's arm a long way, and he's healthy and great. Of course he's worth a franchise and a first on top of that.

Who does Cassel compare to? Father Time in New York has these "senior moments" against the Raiders of all people. Chad Pennington is the guy the Jets kicked out to get Father Time. I don't even want to know who starts for Buffalo. And that's just within a good division with 8 more total victories than losses.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctpat. Show ctpat's posts

[Quote]please stop with the franchising of cassell, that is a dumb move and why you guys are message board Gm's. cassell is an ok qb not worth a first round pick again please stoop with the franchise tag, the pats have alot of good players with expiring deals that are more pressing than the back up qb, do you really think he is worth 10 million a year? that is what you will pay him if you tag him....[/Quote]

I think most people are hoping to tag him and then TRADE him to get some value for him, not to have the back-up qb making more than tom brady. although it may be difficult to do for a few reasons it certainly is a possibility

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

There is much to agree with in that assessment Bel, especially since the Bears have shown themselves to be closer to contention than most people (me, for instnace) gave them credit for. It seems clear enough that the Rex Grossman experiment is over, but I'm wondering who McNabb would throw to if he was brought in.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Maybe the Lions go after Cassel as QB, McDaniels as HC and Scott P.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamalot23. Show jamalot23's posts

There are no comp picks awarded for players released. Stalworth was under contract and was released. We should be happy to get a 3rd for Samuel and a 6th for Gay. Add that to our 3 2nd round picks it gives us 6 picks in the first 3 rounds. Should get young in a hurry.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Ricky-you are correct.as for all these draft picks the pats have.dont look for the pats to use them all.they will trade some for the following year.which could end up a better value.with the chargers 2nd rd pick this year,it only cost the pats a 3rd rd pick in last years draft.a nice investment.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

m