NE vs NJY in first round of playoffs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveNorthShore. Show DaveNorthShore's posts

NE vs NJY in first round of playoffs

According the ESPN playoff projection NE would be the 3rd seed (losing tiebreakers to Balt and Houston) and NYJ will be the 6th seed.  Setting up another chance for NJY to knock the Pats out of the playoffs.    frankly given the familiarity that NJY has with the Pats I'd rather not face them in the playoffs - especially since it is very hard to beat the same team 3 times in one year

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Re: NE vs NJY in first round of playoffs

If we are the 3 seed, I would LOVE to see them in the post season.  Great way to lay THAT to rest.  Crushing them would really put an end to all the nonsense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I really don't see Houston finishing with a better record then us, but I am fine facing the Jets. They just lost Leonard and I just don't think the Pats would lose to them again in the playoffs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Houston plays only one tough game, at home vs. Tennessee to end the season. They'll probably go 3-0. Baltimore has San Diego and Cincy on the road, decent chance they lose one of those. So Pats must win vs. Denver to have a shot at a bye, as I see it anyway.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

You have to play who is on the schedule...  be it the Jets, the Ravens, the Steelers.  Any team is in the way to the SB and the Pats need to win to go on, plain and simple.  We as fans can fret about which team they have play, but, I do not think the team cares other than knowing who it is and they'll prepare for them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

actually, if the pats, ravens, steelers, and texans all win out, pats end with the 2 seed.  

current playoff standings are misleading because alot can happen with conference records and div records and other tie breakers

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In Response to Re: NE vs NJY in first round of playoffs:
    actually, if the pats, ravens, steelers, and texans all win out, pats end with the 2 seed.   current playoff standings are misleading because alot can happen with conference records and div records and other tie breakers
    Posted by flutie66

I believe you are right. i saw some projection on a web site showing if they all win out the Pats are in second. One of the Pats losses (NY Giants) is out of division while all the Ravens losses are in division. It's weird rooting for the Ravens, but we need them to be at least tied with the Steelers for the Pats to get a bye. I want nothing to do with the Jets in the playoffs. I saw what happened last year and I do not wan't to deal with that again. Way too many Pats fans talked trash before that game on these boards and did not show up here afterwards to eat their crow.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Seastixholdersince1971. Show Seastixholdersince1971's posts

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace/tiebreakers-explanation

Pats # 3 if all teams win out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Seastixholdersince1971. Show Seastixholdersince1971's posts

AFC tiebreakers: 

• Baltimore is the AFC North leader ahead of Pittsburgh based on head to head (2-0).
    • Houston is the No. 1 seed ahead of Baltimore and New England based on conference record (8-2 to the Ravens' 7-2 and the Patriots' 7-2).
    • Baltimore is the No. 2 seed ahead of New England based on common games (4-0 to the Patriots' 3-1).
    • Tennessee finishes ahead of Cincinnati and Oakland based on conference record (5-4 to the Bengals' 6-5 and the Raiders' 5-5).
    • Cincinnati finishes ahead of Oakland based on conference record (6-5 to the Raiders' 5-5).
    • Buffalo finishes ahead of Kansas City based on head to head (1-0).
    • Cleveland finishes ahead of Miami and Jacksonville based on head to head sweep (2-0).
    • Miami finishes ahead of Jacksonville based on conference record (3-6 to the Jaguars' 3-7). 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace/tiebreakers-explanation Pats # 3 if all teams win out.
    Posted by Seastixholdersince1971

Not true, Houston is only ahead of the Pats because they've played more conference games. Last week they both had a 7-2 conference record and the Pats won the tiebreakers

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "NE vs NJY in first round of playoffs":
    According the ESPN playoff projection NE would be the 3rd seed (losing tiebreakers to Balt and Houston) and NYJ will be the 6th seed.  Setting up another chance for NJY to knock the Pats out of the playoffs.    frankly given the familiarity that NJY has with the Pats I'd rather not face them in the playoffs - especially since it is very hard to beat the same team 3 times in one year Posted by DaveNorthShore
    They don't have tie breakers NOW, but I think they do if they win out. That makes the Pats number one as far as I know....IF they win out and everyone else does. I don't think they will. Houston will lose one, Pitt goes to SF, and the Ravens might fall at SD, who is getting hot now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

You might be right on the final outcome. The Ravens lost too the Seahawks so what ever I saw was wrong but The Ravens did beat Houston this year which in the end may be big. I do not think the Patriots are going to win out this year so it is probably a moot point. no matter what happens, I do not want to see the Jets for the Pats first playoff game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

Pats win out and we're the one seed I think.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfiton. Show kjfiton's posts

if they all win out the patriots are the 3rd seed. if they win their first playoff game they would face the ravens in baltimore in the divisional round.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfiton. Show kjfiton's posts

In Response to Re: NE vs NJY in first round of playoffs : Not true, Houston is only ahead of the Pats because they've played more conference games. Last week they both had a 7-2 conference record and the Pats won the tiebreakers
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33

then i guess it would come down to division record, or common opponents, both of which the texans would have the advantage over the patriots. they beat the steelers.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Bad info man... take last week as an example...

if we win out, we´ll get a bye !

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Facing the Jets in the playoffs is great! I look forward to it. Nothing better than facing opponents head on and moving past the fears!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

In Response to NE vs NJY in first round of playoffs:
    According the ESPN playoff projection NE would be the 3rd seed (losing tiebreakers to Balt and Houston) and NYJ will be the 6th seed.  Setting up another chance for NJY to knock the Pats out of the playoffs.    frankly given the familiarity that NJY has with the Pats I'd rather not face them in the playoffs - especially since it is very hard to beat the same team 3 times in one year
    Posted by DaveNorthShore

I am getting sick of watching this movie....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

In Response to Re: NE vs NJY in first round of playoffs : then i guess it would come down to division record, or common opponents, both of which the texans would have the advantage over the patriots. they beat the steelers.
    Posted by kjfiton

Not sure about that. Remember that the Pats beat the Raiders and Houston lost to them.

Not sure how it works, but if it comes down to common opponents, that might be a tie, too, because Houston will beat Indy twice, Miami once and Pittsburgh once, while losing to Oakland. NE will beat Miami twice (probably), Indy once, and Oakland once, while losing to Pittsburgh.

Based on that, the records against common opponents appear to be even: Houston 4-1 and NE 4-1. 

After that it defaults to nebulous tiebreaker terms such as "strength of victory" and strength of schedule...and then it comes down to the "points" tiebreakers.

Could be a crazy one in the end, but it's all meaningless if the Pats don't beat the Fighting Tebows next Sunday.

Houston's not likely to lose again. Yesterday was their last shot to lose, I think.

Tennessee probably won't beat them on the road and Jax and Indy are hopeless causes.

That said, two wins against 0-16 Indy and 4-12 Jacksonville aren't likely to help Houston's "strength of schedule" argument.

Sections
Shortcuts