Need strong safety help STAT!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

Need strong safety help STAT!

Between Gregory, Wilson (Tavon) and Ebner, this feels to me like the weakest link in the defensive chain. We need a smart, physical roving hitting machine that we have not had in years.

Honestly, despite the naysayers, the rest of the team looks like it's shaping up OK. I think we will see a bit more running on offense, especially with Cannon back at right guard, and a stable of good backs. I really like having a full-back that can block like Develin can. The receivers are young but looked talented in the preseason. The linebacker crew can defend the run or the pass, not just the run like last year. The defensive line is strong, maybe not deep but how many teams have that luxury? I like the CB crew on both sides with Talib and Dennard, backed up by Arrington and the new kid, Logan Ryan, who seems to know when to turn his head without losing speed. Cole, who knows! The new punter seems like he has the ability to strategically punt to the right place, not just cannon each ball.

If this team can pick up a strong enforcer, and fear-inducer, in the middle of the defensive field, this could be a pretty darned good year. But I know everyone else is looking for the same position. I had hoped Ebner would become the natural enforcer for this team. He reminded me a little bit of Steve Atwater, the one-time Broncos fearless safety. But it has not panned out so far. I know Omar Brown was released by the Ravens but I don't know if he landed somewhere or cleared waivers. He is not a great option but probably better than what we have.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Need strong safety help STAT!

From your lips to Gods Ears! I pretty much have the same concerns and excitement. I just dont want a talented team like this to fall short due to not covering all bases. I know each team will have a weakness, but its disappointing cuz weve had it for a while now and you would BB  could fix it. Best we can do it hope that Harmon progresses throughout the year and becomes that force or else we will play the four CB defense we played last year in the playoffs when Ravens went thru it like a knife thru hot butter. He did look better in the last preseason game, but he still only 200 lbs

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I was hoping the safety from GB, I forget his name, would come back this year. He was a good young safety who hurt his neck I wanna say. He was a bigger FS but had unlimited range and could hit too. Would have had a promising career but it looks like he may be done.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

From your lips to Gods Ears! I pretty much have the same concerns and excitement. I just dont want a talented team like this to fall short due to not covering all bases. I know each team will have a weakness, but its disappointing cuz weve had it for a while now and you would BB  could fix it. Best we can do it hope that Harmon progresses throughout the year and becomes that force or else we will play the four CB defense we played last year in the playoffs when Ravens went thru it like a knife thru hot butter. He did look better in the last preseason game, but he still only 200 lbs

It's tough to get excited about a strong safety from the Scarlet Knights, even if Bill's son Steve went to Rutgers and has strong feelings for the school. This is the team that lost 35-23 last year to Kent State Golden Flashes (what a name!). But we live on hope.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to neinmd's comment:

Between Gregory, Wilson (Tavon) and Ebner, this feels to me like the weakest link in the defensive chain. We need a smart, physical roving hitting machine that we have not had in years.

Honestly, despite the naysayers, the rest of the team looks like it's shaping up OK. I think we will see a bit more running on offense, especially with Cannon back at right guard, and a stable of good backs. I really like having a full-back that can block like Develin can. The receivers are young but looked talented in the preseason. The linebacker crew can defend the run or the pass, not just the run like last year. The defensive line is strong, maybe not deep but how many teams have that luxury? I like the CB crew on both sides with Talib and Dennard, backed up by Arrington and the new kid, Logan Ryan, who seems to know when to turn his head without losing speed. Cole, who knows! The new punter seems like he has the ability to strategically punt to the right place, not just cannon each ball.

If this team can pick up a strong enforcer, and fear-inducer, in the middle of the defensive field, this could be a pretty darned good year. But I know everyone else is looking for the same position. I had hoped Ebner would become the natural enforcer for this team. He reminded me a little bit of Steve Atwater, the one-time Broncos fearless safety. But it has not panned out so far. I know Omar Brown was released by the Ravens but I don't know if he landed somewhere or cleared waivers. He is not a great option but probably better than what we have.

I agree with everything you say about the back of the Defense. However, you do know that James Develin was released right?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

In response to neinmd's comment:

[QUOTE]

I agree with everything you say about the back of the Defense. However, you do know that James Develin was released right?

[/QUOTE]

Lost track of the comings and goings, Quagmire. Thanks for the reminder. Too bad! I was looking forward to some traditional fullback heavy rushing offense. Maybe I should be a bit more concerned about the running attack now as well, especially come playoff time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I agree.  Depth at defensive tackle is concerning as well, but as far as the starting lineup goes, SS is definitely our weak spot.  Also crossing my fingers on the Dennard situation, as if he gets jail time or gets penalized games by the commish, we could be in big trouble there too. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

This won't be a popular sentiment here but Duron Harmon looked solid in the preseason, he was able to get to his spots.  The guy doesn't have to be amazing, he needs to be consistant.  If James Sanders was more talented he might be Harmon, hopefully Harmon has the physical tools to stay healthy and make a difference here.  With the addition of Collins at LB I think we have more flexability, you might see some strange packages with Collins playing SS (or even corner) against the tightends and Megatrons of the league, putting a jam on them with over the top help behind him.  A pass rush will cure all of our defensive backfield woes, mark it down...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

This won't be a popular sentiment here but Duron Harmon looked solid in the preseason, he was able to get to his spots.  The guy doesn't have to be amazing, he needs to be consistant.  If James Sanders was more talented he might be Harmon, hopefully Harmon has the physical tools to stay healthy and make a difference here.  With the addition of Collins at LB I think we have more flexability, you might see some strange packages with Collins playing SS (or even corner) against the tightends and Megatrons of the league, putting a jam on them with over the top help behind him.  A pass rush will cure all of our defensive backfield woes, mark it down...

It's popular with me, Wozzy.  I've said before I think both Harmon and Ryan made nice progress throughout thepreseason.  I also predicted Harmon would challenge Gregory for the starting role by season's end. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Tavon Wilson is on deck, it's time for him to show why such faith was placed in him. Call me picky but when you are a 7th rd pick, or UDFA, that's taken in the second round...I want the second coming of Rodney Harrison. I got nothing against the kid....I am waiting to see why the second round.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Harmon is a bust.  Haven't the two of you gotten the memo yet?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

This won't be a popular sentiment here but Duron Harmon looked solid in the preseason, he was able to get to his spots.  The guy doesn't have to be amazing, he needs to be consistant.  If Jmaes Sanders was more talented he might be Harmon, hopefully Harmon has the physical tools to stay healthy and make a difference here.  With the addition of Collins at LB I think we have more flexability, you might see some strange packages with Collins playing SS (or even corner) against the tightends and Megatrons of the league, putting a jam on them with over the top help behind him.  A pass rush will cure all of our defensive backfield woes, mark it down...

I can see your statement but I'm not calling Harmon, Sanders quite yet. I've seen him play like Sanders at times (be where he needs to be) but have also seen him react slowly, miss tackles, and be late on plays. Now most of that can go away with time, he is a rook after all, but only time will tell. Sanders was if anything consistent. One thing to note though, how has Sanders become the guy we compare SS's to? Isn't that aiming a bit low. I mean I think of Gregory as I did Sanders which is a nice swing 3rd S but not someone I'd want starting every down.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

One thing to note though, how has Sanders become the guy we compare SS's to? Isn't that aiming a bit low. I mean I think of Gregory as I did Sanders which is a nice swing 3rd S but not someone I'd want starting every down.

Sanders to me is the perfect example of a player who knew how to play the position but wasn't physically gifted enough to make it.  Put his head on another player's body and you'd have an all pro.  Harmon looks bigger, faster and seemed to really come up and make plays, he didn't play back on his heels.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Tavon Wilson is on deck, it's time for him to show why such faith was placed in him. Call me picky but when you are a 7th rd pick, or UDFA, that's taken in the second round...I want the second coming of Rodney Harrison. I got nothing against the kid....I am waiting to see why the second round.

I would agree he was most likely drafted early and that in itself is a debate but last year he showed flashes of being the SS we need. He was good in man coverage on the TE and solid in run support. His weakness last year was in 2 deep zone coverage and he seemed to struggle with it again this pre-season. The rest of his game is solid and I am hoping as this year progresses he is able to recognize and make the correct reads in order to improve that part of his game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]

One thing to note though, how has Sanders become the guy we compare SS's to? Isn't that aiming a bit low. I mean I think of Gregory as I did Sanders which is a nice swing 3rd S but not someone I'd want starting every down.

Sanders to me is the perfect example of a player who knew how to play the position but wasn't physically gifted enough to make it.  Put his head on another player's body and you'd have an all pro.  Harmon looks bigger, faster and seemed to really come up and make plays, he didn't play back on his heels.

[/QUOTE]

I would be very happy if Harmon did an OK job. I don't think he is the enforcer we need though. But perhaps you see that possibility?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Sanders looks like a pro bowler compared to what we have. I wonder if he have spent atleast 1.5 million on trying to shore up the position since he left?   Naaaaaa, All he did was make Adrian Wilson expendable in Arizona(joke) and then we signed him and then.....well you know the rest. U cant make this SH*t up! Lets hope by midseason we arent calling for Whiffyweather to return.  Rodneys presence here should be that much more respected when u see how long it is taking to have anyone close to him here for 5 years. The AW to Rodney comparisons were waaay off and I was part of it. Im starting to think AW got into the 20 /20 club by playing weak QB's in that division for years. Rodney played on a pulled groin against us in 2002 and was out there STILL giving his all when he was obviously hurt and in pain and was shown the door, (thank goodness) by Marty and the rest is history. Folks we aint never gonna see another Rodney here. I for one, am gonna let that one go.

Whiffyweather, Chung, Sanders, S.Brown, J.Page, T.Williams, B. McGowan, J. Ihedebo, Herna-Daze Jones(boy I was excited about that name), A.Spann, Lewis Sanders,S.Gregory, N.Ebner, M.Slater, T.Wilson, D.Harmon.

Thats alot of Safety shuffling!  16 different guys tried out at the position in 5 years!!!!!  Thats not Normal, sorry

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

James Sanders....forgot about him....you know I never could get my head around why they let him go.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

I was hoping the safety from GB, I forget his name, would come back this year. He was a good young safety who hurt his neck I wanna say. He was a bigger FS but had unlimited range and could hit too. Would have had a promising career but it looks like he may be done.

You mean Nick Collins??? If he is healthy i would def be down for giving him a shot.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

[QUOTE]

James Sanders....forgot about him....you know I never could get my head around why they let him go.

[/QUOTE]

No speed. Easy to get around. He's a FA now if BB wants a guy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

You mean Nick Collins??? If he is healthy i would def be down for giving him a shot.

Pretty sure doctors told him to never play football again.  Too bad for him.  Good player.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

Yea thats him. He would be a perfect fit, but reviving his career seems like a longshot now. He was basically James Sanders with Speed. Same built, height, # but with speed and ball skills.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Duron is 3rd behind McCourty and Gregs, should be starting by werk 10 if his development stays the same.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

You think so? I want to like this kid, but that second preseason game (or was it the third) made me think we'll see more of the same. I hope you're right.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsBermuda. Show PatsBermuda's posts

we had every chance to get pollard....SMH x 1000

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to PatsBermuda's comment:

we had every chance to get pollard....SMH x 1000

Noone here likes pollard cuz he is a hitman, but I thought he was a cheap option that you KNOW can play SS. Could he do all the other things BB ask? maybe not, but who has outside of Rodney?

I was telling fans we need him, same way he knocked out Wes, he could have done it for us.