Need to see more Ryan Mallett

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Need to see more Ryan Mallett

In blowouts and what not. If game 16 has no playoff implications and the Pat's dont have a bye, start Mallett. (I say if they don't have a bye because I think two weeks off for Brady would be too much)

Rookie QBs these days have proven that the rookie curve for QBs is much smaller than it was even five years ago.

Sure, Luck and Griffin are great. But I am surprised at how well Tannehill, Weeden, and even Russell Wilson have played. Yes, I put Weeden in there despite his numbers. He's played well for someone who plays for the Browns.

I wasn't a fan of Locker coming out of college because of his inaccuracy, but he was throwing 60%+ before getting hurt. Even Blaine Gabbert has made strides from his rookie season. Last three weeks have been a struggle for Ponder, but he's still leading an above .500 team and has decent numbers.

By all estimates, Ryan Mallet should be a capable starting QB by now. College football better prepares QBs for the NFL now than before. The Patriots have a better offense than anything these rookie and second year QBs are running with. If you can play Mallet for a game, he should be able to put up decent numbers.

Showcase Mallett, and then TRADE HIM. After this season, he'll still have two years left of his rookie deal. He will have had two years under Brady and Belichick and one under supposed offensive genius, "McDaniels". He'll be 25 after this year.

By now, he should be as good as a QBs who are projected with mid 1st round grades in this coming draft. A team like the Arizona Cardinals seem good enough to play their way out of the top 10. They also have huge needs as Oline. They seem like a prime prospect to draft their biggest need (oline) in the first round and can trade a 2nd for Mallett.

However, you can trade Mallett unless you show him off. If you wait till next preseason, you pretty much lose a year

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Re: Need to see more Ryan Mallett

I'm also keen on trading Mallett because I think Brady gives us the best chance to win over at least the next three years.

From what Ive seen, you can still be competitive with 1st and 2nd year Qbs. Worry about the future QB later.

As for the backup situation if the Pats can trade Mallett. Brian Hoyer is still available.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

i say give him play time during blowouts because the Patriots have to groom someone else. Brady is getting older and is on the downside of his career going forward.

Who do you propose replace Brady if he goes down by injury or starts to show his age?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

i say give him play time during blowouts because the Patriots have to groom someone else. Brady is getting older and is on the downside of his career going forward.

Who do you propose replace Brady if he goes down by injury or starts to show his age?

[/QUOTE]

If Brady goes down by injury? Hoyer.

If Brady starts to slow down, theyre probably not going to bench him midseason. For example, if Brady shows signs of slowing in 2013, the Pats would probably still stick with him for the whole season. Give him time to work things out. If he cant fix it, you can draft a QB in the draft.

Keeping Mallett on the bench for 3+ years isn't the same as when players like Rodgers, Steve Young, and Rivers took time to develop on the bench. The learning curve has shrunk and good college QBs are more ready for the NFL game than ever.

If Mallett's not ready now, then he is far behind guys like Gabbert, Pondor, Newton, etc...which means he's not our future QB anyways. If he is ready now, then trade him, because he will have a ton of value and Brady still looks like he can play at an elite level for a few more years. And once Brady retires, you could pull a Redskins and make a trade into the top 10 to get your future QB who is already NFL ready

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If Brady starts to slow down, theyre probably not going to bench him midseason. For example, if Brady shows signs of slowing in 2013, the Pats would probably still stick with him for the whole season. Give him time to work things out. If he cant fix it, you can draft a QB in the draft.

Keeping Mallett on the bench for 3+ years isn't the same as when players like Rodgers, Steve Young, and Rivers took time to develop on the bench. The learning curve has shrunk and good college QBs are more ready for the NFL game than ever.

If Mallett's not ready now, then he is far behind guys like Gabbert, Pondor, Newton, etc...which means he's not our future QB anyways. If he is ready now, then trade him, because he will have a ton of value and Brady still looks like he can play at an elite level for a few more years. And once Brady retires, you could pull a Redskins and make a trade into the top 10 to get your future QB who is already NFL ready

[/QUOTE]

Hoyer was cut back in the preseason.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hoyer was cut back in the preseason.

[/QUOTE]

And he is still a FA

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

And I'm talking about trading Mallett after this season.

Plenty of time in the offseason to find a viable backup.

Mallett is a valuable trade chip whose contract runs out the same time as Brady's.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]

And I'm talking about trading Mallett after this season.

Plenty of time in the offseason to find a viable backup.

Mallett is a valuable trade chip whose contract runs out the same time as Brady's.

[/QUOTE]

I cannot even believe this is a real thread. Do you really think that you are going to get anything for Mallett based on one game at the end of the year?

Last off-season people were talking about franchising Hoyer and then trading him like they did with Cassell. Hoyer ended up not even being able to make the Patriots and since he was cut has anyone read about him even coming close to signing with another NFL team.

What makes you think some other team would want Mallett even based on a single NFL start in the final week of the season?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Need to see more Ryan Mallet"

- No we don't, as that will mean our season is effectively over and done. A few cleanup minutes won't do a thing for his market value.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm also keen on trading Mallett because I think Brady gives us the best chance to win over at least the next three years.

From what Ive seen, you can still be competitive with 1st and 2nd year Qbs. Worry about the future QB later.

As for the backup situation if the Pats can trade Mallett. Brian Hoyer is still available.

[/QUOTE]

And when Brady retires we what? Play a new version of suck for Luck? How many years was Brady developing before he stepped in? Clearly you're clueless about the whole Hoyer sisuation. His contract was up. He wanted more money to sit on the bench. Mallet's rookie contract runs out around the same time Brady is expected to retire so it lines up cap wise.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

We paid a 3rd for mallet and you want to sell him for a 2nd? To me that is not gaining much, and I think mallet has more value to us if he stays and continues to develop. I agree he should get some playing times in blowouts, but I see mallet as the heir to Brady. I think he has real talent more so than cassel or hoyer, but just needs to learn the game. I don't think we draft a better QB prospect unless we go all in and blow a season or trade way up in the draft. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I cannot even believe this is a real thread. Do you really think that you are going to get anything for Mallett based on one game at the end of the year?

[/QUOTE]

See "Flynn, Matt"