Need to trade Mallett

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: Need to trade Mallett

Please understand that he has ZERO value.  Now move along.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Well, I think this depends on how other GM's evaluate his talent. Personally, I am skeptical and there is little regular seasona game film but others seam to think he has a big arm. So, I wonder what is possible considering there is little talent in this year's QB class? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

How about mallet and pats #1  to Cleveland for their 6 th pick?   And try to get either cb dee milliner from Alabama or de-lb Jarvis jones from Georgia.  

Just a thought, but thinking pats trade down this year in draft....

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

and the alternative is who?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

I wouldn't say Mallett has zero value.

He was a third round pick only two years ago.

Here are some imporant details:

1. Still has two years on his rookie deal. Being in your contract year almost kills a players value, look at what happened with Harvin. Two years at a cheap price gives you time to evaluate him in your system before overpaying him (Kolb and Cassel)

2. He hasn't played all that much. Which means he hasn't necessarily increased his value, but he hasn't hurt it either. A lot will depend on what draft grades GMs had for him back in 2011.

3. This years QB crop is weak.

I'm not saying you can get a Top 10 pick for Mallett. But a 2nd or 3rd rounder might be a possibility.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

1. Still has two years on his rookie deal. Being in your contract year almost kills a players value, look at what happened with Harvin. Two years at a cheap price gives you time to evaluate him in your system before overpaying him (Kolb and Cassel)

2. He hasn't played all that much. Which means he hasn't necessarily increased his value, but he hasn't hurt it either. A lot will depend on what draft grades GMs had for him back in 2011.

I'm not saying you can get a Top 10 pick for Mallett. But a 2nd or 3rd rounder might be a possibility.

But the pats would still need to pick up a backup QB, so, who do you have in mind. At least with Mallett, he's a known entity.  I'd rather focus on some of the other patriots needs right now; which prolly have a higher priority vs. who's gonna be the backup QB.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

4. Mike Lombardi is now in Cleveland.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

But the pats would still need to pick up a backup QB, so, who do you have in mind. At least with Mallett, he's a known entity.  I'd rather focus on some of the other patriots needs right now; which prolly have a higher priority vs. who's gonna be the backup QB.

Let me ask you,

If Brady went down, do you think the Pats would still have a shot at the Super Bowl? I think not. 

Hoyer and Cassel are two other guys who have been in the system. They won't win you any Super Bowls, but I'm not sure I see that in Mallett either. Still Brady or bust with this team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Let me ask you,

If Brady went down, do you think the Pats would still have a shot at the Super Bowl? I think not. 

Hoyer and Cassel are two other guys who have been in the system. They won't win you any Super Bowls, but I'm not sure I see that in Mallett either. Still Brady or bust with this team.

How many back-up qbs in the league can bring home a SB? None, so, the question is not really applicable. Can't only carry one QB, right? So, my point is work on other things that might bring home a SB...and not worry about the backup QB position, which is towards the bottom of the list in terms of need.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I would pee myself if we got a second rounder for Mallett - I don't care if some retread GM (Lombardi) two years ago said he was going in the first round (which he didn't..not even close) - teams can't give up high picks for a third round QB that has never played a meaningful snap of NFL football. They can't, they'd be a laughing stock if they did. I don't care about "weak QB market"...you can't give up a high draft choice for a lower round pick, that has shown NOTHING since he's been in the NFL. Now if Belichick can pull that off  he should be sitting in a ice cube for a week with David Blaine.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I would pee myself if we got a second rounder for Mallett - I don't care if some retread GM (Lombardi) two years ago said he was going in the first round (which he didn't..not even close) - teams can't give up high picks for a third round QB that has never played a meaningful snap of NFL football. They can't, they'd be a laughing stock if they did. I don't care about "weak QB market"...you can't give up a high draft choice for a lower round pick, that has shown NOTHING since he's been in the NFL. Now if Belichick can pull that off  he should be sitting in a ice cube for a week with David Blaine.

And yet this happens all the time (via trades or signing backups to starting caliber contracts) and teams are willing to draft players on talent alone without a single snap taken in the NFL. Mallett was given a first round grade before the draft, it was off-field concerns that dropped his value. Big difference between a high level talent that dropped from off-field concerns and a 3rd round talent all together

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Let me ask you,

How many back-up qbs in the league can bring home a SB? None, so, the question is not really applicable. Can't only carry one QB, right? So, my point is work on other things that might bring home a SB...and not worry about the backup QB position, which is towards the bottom of the list in terms of need.

I get what your saying and agree, but I think of mallet as an asset that can be converted into additional picks that would allow us fill other needs. No brainier bringing back cassel or hoyer so not much thought or work required to do so.

the browns don't have a second, which means it would either have to be swapping of firsts, or their 3rd and maybe 4th rounders. For their third which is 68, a high third given there are 2 less selections in round 2 + their fourth might be a good deal. Would you Trade mallet to Cleveland for 68 and 101? I might...or, perhaps Cleveland gives us their 3rd this year and 2nd next? 

There are also other teams that might be willing to trade.....

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I spoke with Dave Blaine and he says he is available to sit with BB anywhere, anytime, anyhow and can train him to do the ice trick! So, what does that mean about your comment about Mallet?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OutofTownPATS Fan. Show OutofTownPATS Fan's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

Trade him , and bring Cassell back.

Trade him and bring back Hoyer

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Great time to trade him and get a 2nd from a KC or Minny basicley almost first round--weak QB class Mallet was a 1st rounder but dropped because of his pot incidents, but has towed the line and has learned from the best--someone will give up a 2nd then the Pats should take a developement QB in the 5-7 round. And Pats dont have a 4 or 5th this year-I beleive-so 1st rounder along with 2 seconder rounders and a 3rd is good potential to bolster our Dline and DEEP threat wideout-please-----on a side note I believe Tao from ND might slip to us - do we take him and can he COVER?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Wow!  Went on a little golf excursion today and got home to hear the news about Brady signing the extension.  I guess I'm a little bit late on hearing the news!  Sounds like a great move by the Patriots, not only to lock Brady up, but to get him at a very reasonable price and gain cap space during the next 2 years.  Hey, when I'm wrong, I'll admit it.  Just 2 days ago I had a very good debate w/ Rusty about whether or not Mallett would be traded, and I took a pretty firm stance that he would not.  Now, nothing has been done yet, but it's looking more and more like I was dead wrong.  I have to believe now that they have pretty firm plans to trade Mallett, and maybe that they already have a deal in place if they are willing to do this extension and leak the news right now.  Hell, maybe I'm wrong again.  Who knows?  NE is pretty unpredictable with trades, but for now I'll admit that my prediction of Mallett wearing a Pats uni next year isn't looking very good!  :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

So with the news of Alex Smith being traded to KC, how does that affect the chances of Mallett being traded...or does it even have any impact?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

Let me ask you,

That's like saying Manning, Rodgers or Brees or bust with those teams. What does that even mean?

Means the overall make up of those teams leave them too reliant on their starting QB

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

Brady extension most likely means Mallett won't resign when his contract is up.

No matter who the backup is next season, I don't see the Patriots winning the Super Bowl if Brady goes down...

Which is why I'm okay with someone like Cassel or Hoyer coming back to be a backup. If they want to spend a little money, maybe Moore.

we might get a 5th round pick for him

But no way Mallett is going to resign here now that Brady is here.

Time to trade him while he has 2 years left on his deal. Most players lose a lot of trade value when they are in their contract year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I think we'd be lucky to get a second rounder for him. You can go to a car lot and buy the blue one or bet on the pretty horse but until they run you never know what your going to get. Lombardi won't take a chance picking Mallet. If he fails the fans there arn't very receptive to losing. Ask BB

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I have the opposite view on all of this, I'd call it contrarian but I'd rather avoid that label...

Folks seem to think they need to deal Mallett because of the Brady extension, but the fact is they need to keep Mallett because of the Brady extension.

If they think Mallett can play then they cannot possibly trade him. The Brady contract is basically fully guaranteed through 2017. If he becomes ineffective, they need a guy that can step in that (a) knows the system, (b) can win and (c) is cheap, relatively speaking. They can't have too many cap dollars tied up in that position. Mallett is Brady insurance. They won't be able to afford a big dollar guy.

If they don't think Mallett can win, or if they think Cassell or someone else would be better Brady insurance, then they can look to trade him. Otherwise, they have to keep him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I think Clevleand is still our best bet to deal Mallett. Snce they dont have a 2nd round pick this year I can envision something like Clevelands 3rd rounder this year and a conditional 2 or 3 next year depending on certain playing time clauses.