NEPD weighs in on the roster decisions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

NEPD weighs in on the roster decisions

NEPD Editor: Mike Loyko

A long and eventful off-season finally comes to an end next week when the Patriots get back to work on the practice fields in Foxboro. At last we can talk about football and roster decisions. A lot of talk early on will be centered on players that are no longer in New England.

Nevertheless, the 2013 Patriots features an extraordinary amount of young depth across the roster. It’s never easy to cut down to 53 players and this year may prove to be one of the hardest.

Here’s an early look at what the Patriots roster could look like.

Offense

Quarterbacks (3)
    Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett, Tim Tebow

Running Backs (4)
    Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen, Leon Washington, LeGarrette Blount

Tight Ends (4)
    Rob Gronkowski, Jake Ballard, Michael Hoomanawanui, Zach Sudfeld

Wide Receivers (6)
    Danny Amendola, Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce, Julian Edelman, Donald Jones, Matthew Slater

Offensive Tackles (3)
    Nate Solder, Sebastian Vollmer, Will Svitek

Offensive Guards/Centers (4)
    Logan Mankins, Marcus Cannon, Dan Connolly, Ryan Wendell

Defense

Defensive Tackles (4)
    Vince Wilfork, Tommy Kelly, Armond Armstead, Marcus Forston (or DT TBD)

Defensive Ends (5)
    Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, Justin Francis, Jake Bequette, Michael Buchanan

Linebackers (6)
    Jerod Mayo, Brandon Spikes, Dont’a Hightower, Jamie Collins, Dane Fletcher, Steve Beauharnais

Cornerbacks (5)
    Aqib Talib, Alfonzo Dennard, Kyle Arrington, Logan Ryan, Ras-I Dowling

Safeties (5)
    Devin McCourty, Adrian Wilson, Steve Gregory, Tavon Wilson, Duron Harmon

Special Teams (3)
    Stephen Gostkowski, Zoltan Mesko, Danny Aiken

Last Cuts: Daniel Fells, Jermaine Cunningham, Marquice Cole, Marcus Bernard, Brandon Bolden, LaVelle Hawkins

Practice Squad (8): Markus Zusevics, Chris McDonald, Mark Harrison, Kenbrell Thompkins, George Winn, Cory Grissom, Brandon Jones, Stephon Morris

Quick Thoughts

- Defensive Tackle is the thinnest position on the roster right now.

- Keeping four RB to save roster spots for the WR position. All four RB are known commodities.

- The WR position, although inexperienced, is much faster and more dynamic than last year.

- Forced to keep 5 safties, including Steve Gregory. Duron Harmon, Tavon Wilson can handle special teams duties and provide sub-package value, unlike Nate Ebner.

- Offensive Line should be a force. Complete unit returns plus the addition of a solid swing tackle in Will Svitek.

- Biggest competition in camp will be among the DE/OLB group. Jermaine Cunningham, Michael Buchanan, Justin Francis, Jason Vega, Marcus Bernard, Jake Bequette fighting for three spots.

- As long as Alfonzo Dennard is on the field and Ras-I Dowling is healthy the CB position looks set for week one.

- Linebacker is deep and talented.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: NEPD weighs in on the roster decisions

Not a bad projection. OL is a little thin. I'd swap Tebow for an O-Lineman, maybe McDonald. I'd also swap Jones for Harrison, Fletcher for Cunningham, and Gregory for Cole.  I would love it if we could get all of those guys through to the Practice Squad. Bolden would be my toughest cut.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Jones has been cut, so the list already changing

I still don't see Tebow

I think they keep Fells

Cunningham surprises and plays well in camp and makes the team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Jones has been cut, so the list already changing

I still don't see Tebow

I think they keep Fells

Cunningham surprises and plays well in camp and makes the team.

Pretty much agree. Fells could definitely make it. Tebow a waste of a spot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Last Cuts: Daniel Fells, Jermaine Cunningham, Marquice Cole, Marcus Bernard, Brandon Bolden, LaVelle Hawkins

Another high draft pick down the crapper courtesy of the "greatest GM of the cap era".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

Yeah, it's just so terrible he had 2 draft picks in every rd through rd 3 in that draft. The devastation of it all.

If they attached electrodes to your head would they actually see brain activity dumbkoff?

Did BB get all those picks for free, or did he give something up for them? I swear you get dumber every single day. You must have some sort of degenerative brain condition.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Even with Hernandez now gone, that's one of the best drafts of the past 15 years,

McCourty, Gronk, Cunninghan, Spikes, Price and Hernandez is one of the best drafts in the last 15 years dumbkoff?

McCourty - Failed 1st round pick as a CB. MAYBE a good safety.

Gronk - Great player who has morphed into an injury problem.

Cunningham - BUST

Spikes - Very limited head-banger who will likely end up like Meriweather and Chung.

Price - BUST

Hernandez - Alleged murderer.

You calling that a great draft = you are an imbecile.

Another day, yet another bludgeoning of the VI.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Enough with that crap already in every thread.

The epitome of irony here dumbkoff. EVERYBODY on this board knows well what I mean without the need to state it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

O-Line looks thin in that prediction, but I suppose with Cannon being able to play both Tackle and Guard they might go that way...I'm torn on if Fells will make it or not, I think his salary might get him the boot. 

On Tebow....I honestly have no idea...head says no...gut says yes. Maybe Belichik thinks a solid pre-season and a QB injury somewhere could put him in a spot to move Mallet for a 2nd rounder. Maybe he just wants him to similate mobile QBs in practice....I'm not gonna even pretend to have a real guess on that one.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

McCourty was ALL PRO as a rookie. He had one of, if not the best season ever by a rookie LCB. BB loves the guy.

Ancient history dumbkoff.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Why is it you HATE any defensive player BB brings in here since 2007?

You mean why don't I like guys that BB brought in  like Meriweather, Wheatley, Crable, Chung, Brace, Butler, McKenzie, Cunningham, Dowling and McCourty?

Well, because, like you, they suck dumbkoff, and BB blew huge team resources on their suckiness.

I have spoken well of Mayo.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

If you don't like our team, please go back to the Jets where you were the whole time, PatsFan1966.

If you don't like our greatest player of all-time go back to your home team, the Panthers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

If you swindle other teams by adding picks, you up your odds to hit.

That's would be nice dumbkoff, if he was hitting.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Gronk is not an "injury problem" either.  They're freak concidences. Pollard lands on his ankle and that's an "injury problem"?

Looks like he has a lot of freak coincidences dumbkoff.

BTW, "concidences" isn't a word spelling/grammar gestapo boy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Mayo was a top 10 prospect.  Gee, how hard is it to speak of a perennial Pro Bowler, a top 10 prospect in a draft and DROY?

Perennial pro-bowler? Mayo made the pro-bowl 2x in 5 seasons.

Do you even realize you just make stuff up and think it's fact dumbkoff?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Rkarp there's a typo, you have Tebow making the team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Try focusing on actual repeat grammatical or spelling errors vs typos and you might win one of these for once. Dumbkoff.

Due to your denseness you fail to comprehend that I don't care about those errors. I've told you I simply slam twits like you that stoop to such idiotic tactics.

Oh, and as far as my "sweetheart" she's actually just a few years older than you. We'll see what you go steppin' out with when you're 61 dumbkoff. LMAO@U

I see you have stolen my dumbkoff term. Victory over you is sweet.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Rkarp there's a typo, you have Tebow making the team.

You are going to go nuts when he does make the team wozzy. LMAO

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Umm, I don't really care when he makes the Pro Bowl, it's the fact he's clearly one of the best LBS in the AFC every year since he won DROY in 2008.

^^^^ Come one, come all. See the amazing backpedaling boy! LMAO

The VI gets owned yeat again.

This is a fun place. Where else can you see somebody making a fool of themselves as much as you dumbkoff.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Offense

Quarterbacks (2)
    Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett, He was joking here... right?

Running Backs (4)
    Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen, Leon Washington, Bolden

Tight Ends (5)
    Rob Gronkowski, Jake Ballard, Daniel Fells, Michael Hoomanawanui, Zach Sudfeld

Wide Receivers (6)
    Danny Amendola, Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce, Julian Edelman, Kenbrell Thompkins, Matthew Slater

Offensive Tackles (3)
    Nate Solder, Sebastian Vollmer, Will Svitek

Offensive Guards/Centers (4)
    Logan Mankins, Marcus Cannon, Dan Connolly, Ryan Wendell

Defense

Defensive Tackles (4)
    Vince Wilfork, Tommy Kelly, Armond Armstead, Marcus Forston

Defensive Ends (5)
    Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, Justin Francis, Jake Bequette, Michael Buchanan

Linebackers (6)
    Jerod Mayo, Brandon Spikes, Dont’a Hightower, Jamie Collins, Dane Fletcher, Steve Beauharnais

Cornerbacks (5)
    Aqib Talib, Alfonzo Dennard, Kyle Arrington, Logan Ryan, Ras-I Dowling

Safeties (5)
    Devin McCourty, Adrian Wilson, Steve Gregory, Tavon Wilson, Duron Harmon

Special Teams (3)
    Stephen Gostkowski, Zoltan Mesko, Danny Aiken

Quick Thoughts

- Defensive Tackle is the thinnest position on the roster right now.

This is dumb, it's hasn't been this deep in talent since Wilfork and the Warrens.

- Keeping four RB to save roster spots for the WR position. All four RB are known commodities.

Bolden is as talented or more talented than Ridley, Blount would have to stay healthy and play like a pile driver to beat him out, could happen, but unlikely.

- The WR position, although inexperienced, is much faster and more dynamic than last year.

True, and more physical...  I'd like to root for Jenkins and it's very likely he makes the team but we'll only be let down when he gets hurt in the first 1/3 of the season.  Thompkins is a long shot to make the team but there's always one who makes Belichick's roster that's a head scratcher, the injury to TJ Moe makes this possible.

- Forced to keep 5 safeties, including Steve Gregory. Duron Harmon, Tavon Wilson can handle special teams duties and provide sub-package value, unlike Nate Ebner.

While I agree with Rusty that Gregory is likely to be cut for salary reasons, both he and McCourty can swing back to corner if depth suffers there so it's not a sure thing.

- Offensive Line should be a force. Complete unit returns plus the addition of a solid swing tackle in Will Svitek.

Has been the best unit in the league for about as long as Scar has been around football... but Brady has never been this well protected.

- Biggest competition in camp will be among the DE/OLB group. Jermaine Cunningham, Michael Buchanan, Justin Francis, Jason Vega, Marcus Bernard, Jake Bequette fighting for three spots.

Vega will get hurt if history has anything to say about it, though he has been very productive in small windows. Bernard is out of his league and Cunningham has to show he can play outside linebacker again after playing end and tackle rather unspectacularly... his only good season was as a linebacker standing up his first year.

- As long as Alfonzo Dennard is on the field and Ras-I Dowling is healthy the CB position looks set for week one.

Adrian Wilson will take our defensive backfield from worst to first in yards and third down % because our corners have always been good and the true weaknesses were always at safety and (mainly) pass rush.

- Linebacker is deep and talented.

Crazy deep and crazy talented...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Another high draft pick down the crapper courtesy of the "greatest GM of the cap era".

Yeah, it's just so terrible he had 2 draft picks in every rd through rd 3 in that draft. The devastation of it all.

What a moron.

Even with Hernandez now gone, that's one of the best drafts of the past 15 years, hands down, at least since 1996 and the Ravens draft of Ogden (no brainer pick) and Ray Lewis. Hey, just think, if Brady doesn't melt down in SB 46, Hern goes to prison with a ring!  bwahaha

I love when you walk into walls and how these things always come back around into your face.

Anytime you can get an out of the gate HOF talent out of the draft, that's a very good or great draft.

McCourty, Spikes, Gronk, Mesko. Very good players or great players.

You're an absolute imbecile on this topic. BB's yields from 2010-2012 are the best in the AFC (maybe NFL), maybe only shy of the Bengals or Texans in the AFC, and I'd still lean towards BB's yields.

"down the drain"...Can you sound any more like a little weepy woman, Diapers?

What a moron. Leave it to you to whine about not ever pick being a HOFer or ALl Pro right off the bat, or BB having 6 picks in the top 100 picks of the 2010 draft.

Until you name a better GM with a better resume, he is without any debate the best of the any GM of the cap era. Yes. 

This is why people don't think you are a Pats fan. Brady chokes in SBs and multiple playoff games with horrendous execution over big parts of the game, especially in 4th qtrs, and somehow you want to put that exlusively into BB's lap.

Enough with that crap already in every thread.  Wake some of us up when Brady doesn't suck or isn't mediocre with the chips on the table. Jermaine Cunningham can't helo Brady run the offense in January.

We've all heard this before from you...the "you expect every player selected to be hall of fame players, crap". No numb nuts, it would be nice if they just contributed at a level they were drafted at. That's it, simple. And did you really call Spikes, McCourty, and Mesko great players? Can't wait to see what Spikes brings on another team when he doesn't have Belichick putting him in places he won't get exposed. McCourty did just dapper at corner, it was wicked fun watching receivers get behind him for completion, after completion for 18 games in a row (before they finally buried him at the retirement position of safety...a nice landing spot for a corner with 10 years of wear and tear on them, not a second year guy who couldn't cut it).

You're a tired act. You also have demonstrated ignorance of biblical proportions as this seven year "rebuilding process" has been underway.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

[QUOTE]

What a moron.

Even with Hernandez now gone, that's one of the best drafts of the past 15 years, hands down, at least since 1996 and the Ravens draft of Ogden (no brainer pick) and Ray Lewis. Hey, just think, if Brady doesn't melt down in SB 46, Hern goes to prison with a ring!  bwahaha

I love when you walk into walls and how these things always come back around into your face.

Anytime you can get an out of the gate HOF talent out of the draft, that's a very good or great draft.

You're an absolute imbecile on this topic. BB's yields from 2010-2012 are the best in the AFC (maybe NFL), maybe only shy of the Bengals or Texans in the AFC, and I'd still lean towards BB's yields.

What a moron. Leave it to you to whine about not ever pick being a HOFer or ALl Pro right off the bat, or BB having 6 picks in the top 100 picks of the 2010 draft.

Until you name a better GM with a better resume, he is without any debate the best of the any GM of the cap era. Yes. 

This is why people don't think you are a Pats fan. Brady chokes in SBs and multiple playoff games with horrendous execution over big parts of the game, especially in 4th qtrs, and somehow you want to put that exlusively into BB's lap.

Enough with that crap already in every thread.  Wake some of us up when Brady doesn't suck or isn't mediocre with the chips on the table. Jermaine Cunningham can't helo Brady run the offense in January.

We've all heard this before from you...the "you expect every player selected to be hall of fame players, crap". No numb nuts, it would be nice if they just contributed at a level they were drafted at. That's it, simple. And did you really call Spikes, McCourty, and Mesko great players? Can't wait to see what Spikes brings on another team when he doesn't have Belichick putting him in places he won't get exposed. McCourty did just dapper at corner, it was wicked fun watching receivers get behind him for completion, after completion for 18 games in a row (before they finally buried him at the retirement position of safety...a nice landing spot for a corner with 10 years of wear and tear on them, not a second year guy who couldn't cut it).

You're a tired act. You also have demonstrated ignorance of biblical proportions as this seven year "rebuilding process" has been underway.

[/QUOTE]

MT HURL DESTROYS RUSTY! FILM AT 11!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What a moron.

[/QUOTE]

I said "good or great". You're lying won't work. Gronk is a great player.  McCourty is a good player who can be a great one.

Spikes and Mesko are VERY good at what they do.

It took SF 10 years to build what they have now. Took GB 5 offseasons to win one SB and then suck on D so bad their incredible offense can't cover for them.

Hmm.

I like what we have. Denver's D is all new at LB or VERY OLD in the secondary.

Yep. I REALLY like what BB has done here in the draft, developing cast offs, in a very short amount of time. Imagine if Brady didn't crap his pants in the 4th qtr of SB 46 in particular or crap his pants on the first play of from our offense with that Safety?

LMAO!

We'd be talking about the possibility of a second dynasty underway. You'll see.  Brady has been awful in the postseason of late. Non Pats are talking about it all over the country. Just because you never leave Everett, MA doesn't mean that isn't true, Cuppy.

It's not about just Tom Brady. Once it became all about that, our offense has sucked in postseasons. Not a coincidence. Once Brady realizes he's not above the team, acting all like a leader with fake looking rhetoric and awkward sideline behavior like he doesn't have great talent around him, and crap play in January, we'll win another SB. All about Brady. Brady. I repeat: BRADY. 

If he's so good, why is he so crappy now in the postseason? Why does he like to be Gomer Manning of yesteryear, Cupcake, huh?

You can have every troll on this board come in and support you with the pom poms. It still doesn't change the facts. Brady must improve for us to win a SB.

[/QUOTE]

Brady has been awful in the postseason of late. Non Pats are talking about it all over the country.

They are? and how do you know this because i sure haven't heard it

are you sure you mean this country?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What a moron.

[/QUOTE]

I said "good or great". You're lying won't work. Gronk is a great player.  McCourty is a good player who can be a great one.

Spikes and Mesko are VERY good at what they do.

It took SF 10 years to build what they have now. Took GB 5 offseasons to win one SB and then suck on D so bad their incredible offense can't cover for them.

Hmm.

I like what we have. Denver's D is all new at LB or VERY OLD in the secondary.

Yep. I REALLY like what BB has done here in the draft, developing cast offs, in a very short amount of time. Imagine if Brady didn't crap his pants in the 4th qtr of SB 46 in particular or crap his pants on the first play of from our offense with that Safety?

LMAO!

We'd be talking about the possibility of a second dynasty underway. You'll see.  Brady has been awful in the postseason of late. Non Pats are talking about it all over the country. Just because you never leave Everett, MA doesn't mean that isn't true, Cuppy.

It's not about just Tom Brady. Once it became all about that, our offense has sucked in postseasons. Not a coincidence. Once Brady realizes he's not above the team, acting all like a leader with fake looking rhetoric and awkward sideline behavior like he doesn't have great talent around him, and crap play in January, we'll win another SB. All about Brady. Brady. I repeat: BRADY. 

If he's so good, why is he so crappy now in the postseason? Why does he like to be Gomer Manning of yesteryear, Cupcake, huh?

You can have every troll on this board come in and support you with the pom poms. It still doesn't change the facts. Brady must improve for us to win a SB.

[/QUOTE]

Brady has been awful in the postseason of late. Non Pats are talking about it all over the country.

They are? and how do you know this because i sure haven't heard it

are you sure you mean this country?

[/QUOTE]

Walk into any sports bar in this country.  Listen to the comments. Talk to people who aren't Pats fans.  I think it's hilarious that these insulated loser types who don't leave Massachusetts or NE, think they know the score because they stick together like dorks on this board.

The comments are more about why Brady sucks in the postseason and why he's good or great in the regular season.   Clearly, it's because the defenses he faces in the postseason are tougher, so why do these embarassing cupcakes like Mt Hurl and Babe gush over what he does in the regular season? Who cares what he does against bad or medicore Ds? 

Why do they put more stock in that than what Brady does at 15 million per in January? Answer that question.

[/QUOTE]

well all i can say is i am not in the MA/NE area and i do talk to fans of all different teams and i haven't heard this-at least not in the terms u put it

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

What a moron.

A corner turned safety, a questionable talent, an often injured tight end and a kicker.

If that's one of the best drafts in the past 15 years, they should cancel the draft all together.

Do you want to see what one of the best drafts by a team in the last 15 years looks like?  Go to San Diego, 2005:

Merriman, Castillo, Jackson, Sproles

That's a great draft.  Injured players, players who can't play their position, average players and kickers don't a great draft make.