Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett, He was joking here... right?
Running Backs (4)
Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen, Leon Washington, Bolden
Tight Ends (5)
Rob Gronkowski, Jake Ballard, Daniel Fells, Michael Hoomanawanui, Zach Sudfeld
Wide Receivers (6)
Danny Amendola, Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce, Julian Edelman, Kenbrell Thompkins, Matthew Slater
Offensive Tackles (3)
Nate Solder, Sebastian Vollmer, Will Svitek
Offensive Guards/Centers (4)
Logan Mankins, Marcus Cannon, Dan Connolly, Ryan Wendell
Defensive Tackles (4)
Vince Wilfork, Tommy Kelly, Armond Armstead, Marcus Forston
Defensive Ends (5)
Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, Justin Francis, Jake Bequette, Michael Buchanan
Jerod Mayo, Brandon Spikes, Dont’a Hightower, Jamie Collins, Dane Fletcher, Steve Beauharnais
Aqib Talib, Alfonzo Dennard, Kyle Arrington, Logan Ryan, Ras-I Dowling
Devin McCourty, Adrian Wilson, Steve Gregory, Tavon Wilson, Duron Harmon
Special Teams (3)
Stephen Gostkowski, Zoltan Mesko, Danny Aiken
- Defensive Tackle is the thinnest position on the roster right now.
This is dumb, it's hasn't been this deep in talent since Wilfork and the Warrens.
- Keeping four RB to save roster spots for the WR position. All four RB are known commodities.
Bolden is as talented or more talented than Ridley, Blount would have to stay healthy and play like a pile driver to beat him out, could happen, but unlikely.
- The WR position, although inexperienced, is much faster and more dynamic than last year.
True, and more physical... I'd like to root for Jenkins and it's very likely he makes the team but we'll only be let down when he gets hurt in the first 1/3 of the season. Thompkins is a long shot to make the team but there's always one who makes Belichick's roster that's a head scratcher, the injury to TJ Moe makes this possible.
- Forced to keep 5 safeties, including Steve Gregory. Duron Harmon, Tavon Wilson can handle special teams duties and provide sub-package value, unlike Nate Ebner.
While I agree with Rusty that Gregory is likely to be cut for salary reasons, both he and McCourty can swing back to corner if depth suffers there so it's not a sure thing.
- Offensive Line should be a force. Complete unit returns plus the addition of a solid swing tackle in Will Svitek.
Has been the best unit in the league for about as long as Scar has been around football... but Brady has never been this well protected.
- Biggest competition in camp will be among the DE/OLB group. Jermaine Cunningham, Michael Buchanan, Justin Francis, Jason Vega, Marcus Bernard, Jake Bequette fighting for three spots.
Vega will get hurt if history has anything to say about it, though he has been very productive in small windows. Bernard is out of his league and Cunningham has to show he can play outside linebacker again after playing end and tackle rather unspectacularly... his only good season was as a linebacker standing up his first year.
- As long as Alfonzo Dennard is on the field and Ras-I Dowling is healthy the CB position looks set for week one.
Adrian Wilson will take our defensive backfield from worst to first in yards and third down % because our corners have always been good and the true weaknesses were always at safety and (mainly) pass rush.
- Linebacker is deep and talented.
Crazy deep and crazy talented...