NE's D And Turnovers

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: NE's D And Turnovers

In response to NedNiederlander's comment:

NE's D has forced a turnover in 28 straight games.  I think that is pretty darn impressive.

Hopefully they can get their usual of 2 tonight.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

NE's D has forced a turnover in 28 straight games.  I think that is pretty darn impressive.

prediction on the score tonight?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Did you see that stat from Sunday's game about the Pats being +70 in turnovers over the last three years!  An amazing stat.

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Did you see that stat from Sunday's game about the Pats being +70 in turnovers over the last three years!  An amazing stat.

There is little doubt the D will get a turnover in this game, it's not the playoffs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

There is little doubt the D will get a turnover in this game, it's not the playoffs.

Now to be fair, we could make a similar comment about the offense...they'll probably score 20 points or more, it's not the playoffs.  But, I don't get why people get into these foolish attacks regarding our favorite team.  For me, I'm rooting for all of them.  I think they'll get it done on both sides of the ball.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Or one straight game if you count last year's AFC Championship game... I still think a defense that depends on turnovers not reliable. If the other team's offense takes care of the ball you need to still stop them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to Bustchise's comment:

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:

Now to be fair, we could make a similar comment about the offense...they'll probably score 20 points or more, it's not the playoffs.  But, I don't get why people get into these foolish attacks regarding our favorite team.  For me, I'm rooting for all of them.  I think they'll get it done on both sides of the ball.

Exactly. 20 points and under from our supposed lethal offense come January.  Brady has 3 TDs and 7 INTs in his last 3 home AFC title games. That is in no way on the D. Kind of hard to go above and beyond, play with confidence and energy when you're on the field all the time with turnovers by your own QB.

I remember some friends of mine in Chicago who are jealous Bears fans asking why NE was so good in the dynasty years.

My answer:

Don't turn it over.

Play smart (no penalties, no mental mistakes).

Be able to adapt style on offense and defense.

That is the recipe. If one of these things goes awry, the odds become less for a win.  It happened this past Sunday. Perfect example. If Buffalo was a better team, we lose that game.

Oh, and have top rated defenses.  You always seem to leave that one out, Queenie. Why?

People seem to over emphasize the need for a shut-down D.  Whether the Patiots have ever truly had one is up for debate.  The fact is, this team of ours has always given up points late in the game (Super Bowls specifically)...14 fourth quarter points in '02 to St. Louis, 19 in '04 to Carolina, 7 in '05 to Philadelphia, 14 in '08 to New York,  and 6 in '12 to New York.  If we take a broader look, it turns out that second half points given up is 14 in '02, 19 in '04, 14 in '05, 14 in '08, and 12 in '12.  It looks pretty consistent, win or lose.  Now on offense, second half points look like this...6 points scored in '02, 18 in '04, 17 in '05, 7 in '08, and 7 in '12.  This is where we find the greatest variance.  The only one consistent point that we find here is that, even  in '02, when our offense scored 7 or fewer points, our defense gave up the lead.  I think that it is fair to say that people have a habit of putting on rose colored glasses when they think of our defenses from years ago.  The fact is, when it comes to the most important fact, all of our Super Bowl defenses have been pretty consistent in second half points allowed (excluding the Carolina game).  I don't think you could say any of them shut down anyone.  Certainly, no one considered the D in the '12 Super Bowl to be elite and yet it performed in line with the other D's before it.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to Bustchise's comment:

Exactly. 20 points and under from our supposed lethal offense come January.  Brady has 3 TDs and 7 INTs in his last 3 home AFC title games. That is in no way on the D. Kind of hard to go above and beyond, play with confidence and energy when you're on the field all the time with turnovers by your own QB.

I remember some friends of mine in Chicago who are jealous Bears fans asking why NE was so good in the dynasty years.

My answer:

Don't turn it over.

Play smart (no penalties, no mental mistakes).

Be able to adapt style on offense and defense.

That is the recipe. If one of these things goes awry, the odds become less for a win.  It happened this past Sunday. Perfect example. If Buffalo was a better team, we lose that game.

Oh, and have top rated defenses.  You always seem to leave that one out, Queenie. Why?

People seem to over emphasize the need for a shut-down D.  Whether the Patiots have ever truly had one is up for debate.  The fact is, this team of ours has always given up points late in the game (Super Bowls specifically)...14 fourth quarter points in '02 to St. Louis, 19 in '04 to Carolina, 7 in '05 to Philadelphia, 14 in '08 to New York,  and 6 in '12 to New York.  If we take a broader look, it turns out that second half points given up is 14 in '02, 19 in '04, 14 in '05, 14 in '08, and 12 in '12.  It looks pretty consistent, win or lose.  Now on offense, second half points look like this...6 points scored in '02, 18 in '04, 17 in '05, 7 in '08, and 7 in '12.  This is where we find the greatest variance.  The only one consistent point that we find here is that, even  in '02, when our offense scored 7 or fewer points, our defense gave up the lead.  I think that it is fair to say that people have a habit of putting on rose colored glasses when they think of our defenses from years ago.  The fact is, when it comes to the most important fact, all of our Super Bowl defenses have been pretty consistent in second half points allowed (excluding the Carolina game).  I don't think you could say any of them shut down anyone.  Certainly, no one considered the D in the '12 Super Bowl to be elite and yet it performed in line with the other D's before it.

The Patriots Super Bowl winning defenses were 1st, 2nd and 6th in points allowed over the course of the seasons. The offenses were 4th, 6th and 12th in points scored. The last three years, the offense has been 1st, 3rd and 1st, while the defense has been 8th, 15th and 9th. I think people are focused more of the fact that in the early 2000s when the team won three out of four Super Bowls. The defense was clearly the strength of the team.

I do not get your point about the team that lost the second Super Bowl to the Giants. They were 15th in points allowed and 31st in yards. Combining the two numbers, they were (statistically) the worst defense that BB has had in New England.

Sections
Shortcuts