NESN weighs in on the Mayo debate

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: NESN weighs in on the Mayo debate

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Well ricky glad to see you made it all they way through a Post without an insult.  It was boring 5 years ago when MVPkilla called everyone a moron and it still is.  I like the whole Stamp thing, though it correlates to nothing skill set wise, it sure reads nice.  I'm not going to boil down the numbers you list compaired to other LB's, after all it is page 3 of a thread and we all know a thread is dead at 3.  Plus no one is changing their minds at this point anyway.

Here is your problem, your have a line in the sand if I disagree with you I am a fool. Your arguement is based the fact that you don't like asst. tackles. You must hate half sacks too... You have a linebacker who play in a scheme were his job not attack the line of scrimage which hurts his sack totals. If the Pats went back to a 3-4 and used him as an inside LB you would see those stats you want. To disregard how a player plays in a scheme is foolish at best. Mayo is having his best year yet and if you think he is over rated you can see the forest for the trees.

Joe I would never call you or 99% of the board a fool (just Rusty when he bashes Brady).  I'm the one being called a fool along with other childish names by the Mayo is great camp. Yourself included above.  The majority of poster on this board agree that Mayo is only average or slightly below (you can review my thread and count if you like).

Ranking and rating LB's is very subjective so there will be differences of opinion.  I have no line in the sand.  I was an Edelman hater till two weeks ago when he stopped sucking.  Now he's one of my favorites and will be as long as he keeps not sucking.  I have never disliked Mayo I just keep waiting for a a higher lever of play with I believe he is capable of but hasn't come close to achieving yet.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

patrick willis just gave up a 2-pt conversion because of poor coverage. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

patrick willis just gave up a 2-pt conversion because of poor coverage. 

that gave stl life. stl eventually won.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Mayo makes the game deciding sack on third down to end this game, boy this guy suxs...

5 tackles, one sack to put the dolphins away, along with another forced fumble...

Glad I wore the Mayo jersey to the game today and didn't buy into the Mayo is no good BS.

The pink hat "fans" here are a joke...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Mayo makes the game deciding sack on third down to end this game, boy this guy suxs...

5 tackles, one sack to put the dolphins away, along with another forced fumble...

Glad I wore the Mayo jersey to the game today and didn't buy into the Mayo is no good BS.

The pink hat "fans" here are a joke...

Hey wooz, he had a good game...good for him and us...it's what 45 million dollar linebackers are supposed to do on occasion. I don't think anyone sayed he was "no good", just not more than good. I thought he played very well today. He had some bad plays in the first half and played very well in the second. Great game. Lets hope we run into a high school offense like this in the playoffs where the QB can't hit the broad side of a barn...why not? We faced Tebow last post season, maybe it can happen again.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

As you see my previous posts on the Mayo debate...i'm not on his bandwagon.  But I will say this...he had a great game today!  He made several impact plays behind the line of scrimmage and did a great job.  I must tip my cap to him...hope he keeps making some big plays.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Ytsejamer1's comment:

As you see my previous posts on the Mayo debate...i'm not on his bandwagon.  But I will say this...he had a great game today!  He made several impact plays behind the line of scrimmage and did a great job.  I must tip my cap to him...hope he keeps making some big plays.

I agree, he made several nice plays today. I saw him fly into a gap and crush a blocker that allowed another defender to make the play at the line of scrimmage. There were others...we need him to play like this every week.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I agree, he made several nice plays today. I saw him fly into a gap and crush a blocker that allowed another defender to make the play at the line of scrimmage. There were others...we need him to play like this every week.

Yeah...my eyeball test told me he was doing some good things today.  Not sure about his tackle numbers and all that, but he definitely passed the eyeball test today (which is worth not a whole lot, but still)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Woozy sounds a lot like Rusty.  Even the fact that he conviently uses the word sucks when no one is saying he sucks.   Great sack yes something else no one is disputing.  Maybe if he didn't whiff 3 plays earlier we hold them to Zero points or if he doesn't get faked out of his jock on the end of half TD dive we hold them to 3 or even zero.  I believe Scott got 2 sacks so relax Rusty there's still lots of room for improvement.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Yeah over 100 tackles every year, he needs to shape up... laughable.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejb222. Show ejb222's posts

Man, some people on here really have no clue do they? Mayo is probably the best LB on the team. He is not a sack machine, because that's not his role. But let me tell you, watch the film of each game. He is on the ball carrier almost ever down. Rarely misses a tackle...and rarely gets knocked back on contact. I don't think anyone is trying to put him in the Urlacher category. If anything, Ninkovich could be upgraded. He does hit job well, but he's really on the bottom end of the list. A bit more of a presence on that side would free up Mayo more and highlight his playmaking capability.  

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

I said he isn't that good and he isn't.  I think we all know the Pro Bowl is a useless popularity contest (well maybe not everyone).  If I remember correctly Maryweather was also a Pro Bowl selection........HaHaHaHaHaHaHa...............HaHaHaHaHaHa

Oh and Rusty wasn't your favorite player Logan Mankins also a Pro Bowler....BwaaHaHaHa

Silly Silly Silly Silly thread.

And leading the team in tackles is meaningless too right?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I dont think there is an argument of wether he is good or not but I could make the argument as to wether or not he was worth all that money. I mean the guy is good and tackles well but he did get some good money that may prove costly seeing as though Spikes is now improving in coverage and could be just as good as Mayo(mayo isnt great in coverage) by next year with much more of a playmaking ability so what do you do then??   Mayo doesnt have all the big hits and fumbles that Spikes does and outside of calling the defense is just a solid tackler at this stage and an improving blitzer when he gets the oppty. but def. needed , make no mistake.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

I would say Mayo is in the top 3rd of MLBs across the league, easily. I do not, however, think of him as elite at this point.

Thats all T-cal is saying. When you watch Pat Willis you will agree. He makes IMPACT Tackles. Running backs out the backfield???? Forget about it. They be lucky to get past the line of scrimmage. Bowman is becoming just as good. I would take these 2 before Mayo but I love mayo but he isnt close the being the best Middle Backer as I believe Spikes is more old school Inside Backer than Mayo who actually was moved outside last year. Just offering perspective and if Dude from Texans was healthy he would be over him too. I would put Mayo as maybe the 6th or 7th best Middle Linebacker in the game and maybe 15ht overall in the league and thats pretty good, just not the best, IMO

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Also , not taking sides, but I think T-cal is not getting his fair shake as far as the point he made. I agree with him that mayo can be better, thats all. He has improved in the nasty dept this year as he has been vocal and yappy out there in the intimidation dept,. but take spikes for instance, u can see his improvement yearly and now he is adequate in coverage after coming here not being able to cover his mouth with his hand,. With Mayo he either had a low celing and came in with no upside or he isnt improving and it could just be that he was so good as a rookie that he wont look better ever but Spikes without the off field stuff is actually better this year in terms of  impact plays but maybe not as consistent week to week as Mayo.

For more perspective though. London Fletcher has NEVER missed a game in his career(over 200 games) and has been a tackling machine his whole career, always getting over 100 tackles but was never considered a game changing backer and he JUST made his FIRST Pro Bowl Appearance LAST YEAR and has been in the league FOREVER so just keep that in mind. YOu have to analyze a player , not just look at his pro bowls. Rodney didnt make the pro bowl in 03, or 04 and that was a joke when John Lynch went before with HALF the Stats Rondey had cuz noone likes him. So I love mayo, but lets not put him in canton because of pro bowls.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Also , not taking sides, but I think T-cal is not getting his fair shake as far as the point he made. I agree with him that mayo can be better, thats all. He has improved in the nasty dept this year as he has been vocal and yappy out there in the intimidation dept,. but take spikes for instance, u can see his improvement yearly and now he is adequate in coverage after coming here not being able to cover his mouth with his hand,. With Mayo he either had a low celing and came in with no upside or he isnt improving and it could just be that he was so good as a rookie that he wont look better ever but Spikes without the off field stuff is actually better this year in terms of  impact plays but maybe not as consistent week to week as Mayo.

For more perspective though. London Fletcher has NEVER missed a game in his career(over 200 games) and has been a tackling machine his whole career, always getting over 100 tackles but was never considered a game changing backer and he JUST made his FIRST Pro Bowl Appearance LAST YEAR and has been in the league FOREVER so just keep that in mind. YOu have to analyze a player , not just look at his pro bowls. Rodney didnt make the pro bowl in 03, or 04 and that was a joke when John Lynch went before with HALF the Stats Rondey had cuz noone likes him. So I love mayo, but lets not put him in canton because of pro bowls.

Thanks TripleOG, actually the majority of the board feels there's room for improvement in Mayo's game.  I would bet anything that the majority of fans in general feel for a top 10 pick making huge money that there hasn't been adequate Return on investment yet.

Thing is on this board and thread when you post someting Rusty doesn't agree with (which is anything that doesn't bash Brady) you get 5 of his other accounts showing up all calling you a moron.  Like we don't know it's him, lol. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Woozy sounds a lot like Rusty.  Even the fact that he conviently uses the word sucks when no one is saying he sucks.   Great sack yes something else no one is disputing.  Maybe if he didn't whiff 3 plays earlier we hold them to Zero points or if he doesn't get faked out of his jock on the end of half TD dive we hold them to 3 or even zero.  I believe Scott got 2 sacks so relax Rusty there's still lots of room for improvement.

I did notice that he went inside hard and let a 6'5" quarterback waltz into the endzone on the outside. I kind of chaulked that up as a great play fake by the QB, but still he is the outside backer on that play. There was a play earlier on that very drive were the QB gained five yards on a 3rd and three to the outside, that Mayo just couldn't close fast enough. And on that same drive he went in on a pass rush (got nowhere) then decided to drop back into coverage and cover no one while the ball sailed over the middle for ten yards.

Then he comes out in the second half and played really well...so I see a pedestian first half and a very good second=good game. Nothing special, just a good game - a game a 45 million dollar backer is suppossed to have every week...at least.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I did notice that he went inside hard and let a 6'5" quarterback waltz into the endzone on the outside. I kind of chaulked that up as a great play fake by the QB, but still he is the outside backer on that play. There was a play earlier on that very drive were the QB gained five yards on a 3rd and three to the outside, that Mayo just couldn't close fast enough. And on that same drive he went in on a pass rush (got nowhere) then decided to drop back into coverage and cover no one while the ball sailed over the middle for ten yards.

Then he comes out in the second half and played really well...so I see a pedestian first half and a very good second=good game. Nothing special, just a good game - a game a 45 million dollar backer is suppossed to have every week...at least.

Funny thing mthurl I didn't even list all the bad play that I noticed.  I'm not rooting against the guy hell I want him to succeed.  Yet Rusty, I mean Wozzy mentions tackles like they mean something.  One tackle was after the RB gained 8 yards and another was an assist after Vince made a great play on the RB at the line and Mayo can in late.  That's 2 meaningless tackles added to his total.

Sections
Shortcuts