NESN weighs in on the Mayo debate

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

NESN weighs in on the Mayo debate

"Mayo, who is arguably in the middle of his best season as a pro, is currently atop the Pro Bowl voting for AFC middle linebackers and will likely be named to his second Pro Bowl come February."

I thought he sucked?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Re: NESN weighs in on the Mayo debate

Some people are just not that into him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to themightypatriots' comment:

Some people are just not that into him.

More like some people are absolute blind morons...

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

There is a Mayo debate? I thought one hater said something bad about him and the rest of us showed him the light? Not really a debate.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I said he isn't that good and he isn't.  I think we all know the Pro Bowl is a useless popularity contest (well maybe not everyone).  If I remember correctly Maryweather was also a Pro Bowl selection........HaHaHaHaHaHaHa...............HaHaHaHaHaHa

Oh and Rusty wasn't your favorite player Logan Mankins also a Pro Bowler....BwaaHaHaHa

Silly Silly Silly Silly thread.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

By the way the majority of posters to my Mayo thread agree that he isn't that good, so live with it Boys.  Move along now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

By the way the majority of posters to my Mayo thread agree that he isn't that good, so live with it Boys.  Move along now.

Your arguments were pretty lame so most of the folks that disagreed with you stopped following your thread. So I guess you can say most agreed with you, since those were the only ones likely to visit your thread fter the first day or so.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

mayo is a pretty good tackler in a league where it seems to be a lost art. he isnt a playmaker, but he is a solid pro, and a guy you want on your team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

You get some points for owning your thread but seriously dude, what game are you watching...?

The guy leads the LEAGUE in tackles and he stands up guys like Steven Jackson etc... He's a born tackling machine.  Plus he's smart and has a funny tv show with that Curran guy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

"Mayo, who is arguably in the middle of his best season as a pro, is currently atop the Pro Bowl voting for AFC middle linebackers and will likely be named to his second Pro Bowl come February."

I thought he sucked?

Some people need to see Ray Lewis out there for them to avoid using words like "stink","not that good" or "overrated".

It's disturbing, really. Anything to deflect from how Brady may or may not perform in the postseason.

Rusty I finally figured you out, you come on here and talk trash about Ton Brady so that other will jump in and stand up for him.  You are secretly in love with him and need to here how great he is.  Aren't you the Cute little ballwasher!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Shows how smart the people are, Mayo doesn't play MLB this year...HaHaHaHaHa...HaHaHaHa

The best argument I here from the Mayo Apologists is he's a good tackler and I agree he is a very good tackler.

What he's not good at:

Coverage

Sheading a block

Tackling for losses.  (If only I could find a stat on this. This would be the tell.)

For a Top 10 pick that just not that good.

And just so everyone is on the same page here.  I never said he sucks.
     so lets lose the hate.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Say what you like about Pro Bowl voting but being voted to the All Pro team which is voted on by your peers makes this bunk, along with ROY award and the fact that he leads the entire NFL in tackles makes this idea completely inane.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Oh May F'ing God.  I'm about to blow your freaking minds.

I hate when I'm right.

Read "and Comment as you see fit"

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/defense-tackles-for-loss

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Not sure what you're saying... This ranking is about sacks and dls getting in the backfield on running plays.  Mayo plays deep and tackles 0-3 yards after the player hits the hole .

His sack numbers are increasing though.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

Not sure what you're saying... This ranking is about sacks and dls getting in the backfield on running plays.  Mayo plays deep and tackles 0-3 yards after the player hits the hole .

His sack numbers are increasing though.

It's not sacks it's Tackles for Losses.  Not sure what "plays deep" means but his job is to shead his block and tackle the runner as soon as possible. DB's get payed to play deep not LBs.  He not even on the list. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

If you compare the stats of most of top MLB's over the course of their careers, you'll find that they only post remarkable playmaking stats for a very short period of time.  For example, Bruschi from 2001-04, Patrick Willis first 3 seasons, Ray Lewis typically has these 2-3 year spurts off and on throughout his career etc...  The bottom line is that the numbers that Mayo puts up are totally consistent with the career averages of the top MLB's. 

Would I like to see him get 5 sacks 3 int's, with 3-5 FF to go along with 150 tackles? Who wouldn't?  However, I think that Mayo does definately need to be better than he's been in coverage as he leaves a little to be desired in that regard.  The sacks, I'm not as worried about because Belicheck is pretty conservative on defense and doesn't call a bunch of blitzes like Baltimore, New York Jets/Giants, Pittsburg etc... so therefore I'm not quite sure how much of that is his fault or not.  The INT's should be higher than what they are as I've seen him drop many balls throughout the past couple of seasons (so his hands aren't that great IMHO).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I count 45 LB's including Spikes with more tackles for Losses then Mayo who has less then 5 in 11 games, outstanding.  So he can't cover or get in the backfield to make tackles.

Sorry but he's just not that good.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Mayo is a very good but not great player.  They count on him to tackle and he tackles.  He chases down running plays from all over the field, vastly underrated there, at least by some on this board. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I think he is the perfect BB guy on defense, he just does his job and doesn't try to do anythign special besides tackle his man. Maybe BB doesn't want him to be in a position of making any type of play besides making tackles. As many know, others on this team have a hard time tackling some sundays and it leads to big yards and momentum. Having a guy who is always tackling his man and getting in on the play is something this team really needs on a consistent basis.

Regarding these posts and the previous thread on Mayo, I have to say both sides are basically arguing over is this guy a superstar who makes big impact plays they put on Sports Center versus a veteran guy who is always in on every play. We don't have much of a pass rush and when we do BB sends Spikes in most of the time. I strongly believe Mayo is BB insurance policy so plays result in 3-5 yards and not 10-15.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

It could be worse the Pats could have drafted Aaron Curry or Rolando McClain. People seem to forget that LBs and DBs that are drafted high also have a high bust rate(anybody remember Keith McCants?). Mayo is the second best defender on a mediocre or below average defense (Wilfork is 1st). Patrick Willis, by contrast, is arguably the best LB on a team with the best LB corps, front seven, and defense in the NFL. My guess is there are more than a few teams (Jags, Colts, Raiders etc..) that would love to have Mayo if the Pats don't want him. I think because of where he was drafted people expect him to be Ray Lewis.....one minor problem; Ray Lewis is the best MLB/ILB in the last 25 years....so that's pretty unrealistic expectation. It's the same as expecting McCourty to morph into Ed Reed jr.

IMO if this defense was better Mayo wouldn't have 160+ tackles every year because everyone would be a solid contributor.

Just My two cents.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

^^^^ says the guy who bashes Tom Brady 1500 times a month.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Mayo is above average, but definitely not great. 

He is pretty bad in coverage and isn't a playmaker. "Steady" would be the word I would use to describe him

That being said, if you asked me to pick between Spikes or Mayo, I'd pick Spikes. I don't think tackles is a good stat to measure how good a linebacker is. Tackles to missed tackles ratio would be more telling.

Spikes makes big plays in big moments though. I'd probably vote him over Mayo

Sections
Shortcuts