Never another Lombardi,

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Re: Never another Lombardi,

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

as long as BB remains GM.

Do you understand that? I'm guaranteeing it. NEVER.

Most of you will probably never see another Pats SB win in your lifetime.

Kraft is no longer sharp and is unlikely to make the needed changes. His kid shows no signs of being the man his dad was (Very few silver spoon kids do. Rather, they usually run the biz into the ground.).

So enjoy a couple more AFCEast titles. That's all you're getting.

Why are still pretending to be a fan? Boston sports teams don't need whining know nothing pansies like you pretending to be fans when they win and jumping off the bandwagon when they don't

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to rezneffix's comment:

In response to OlderbutWiser's comment:

Babe is correct in his analysis but I differ with him as to the reason. I believe BB and TB will go down in the history as one of the best head coaches/quarterback duos in the game. They are both very talented in their specialization. However, BB is not a good general manager and he never has been. His selection of players to form his total team is lacking and he loses the big one as a result. This is partly a matter of his personality. The other factor is how teams are formed in the league with an emphasis on parity. Salary cap and draft order ensures a rotation of successful teams. It keeps a robust fan base and ensures overall profitability for owners.

BB gets the most out of his players. He is successful year in and year out. Consequently he is always at the end of the draft order. Instead of taking the top player available in the draft, both he and Kraft follow the philosophy of "valued-added" players. Thus, BB will trade down in the draft in the belief that there is not much difference in talent level between available players. The team is put together on the cheap with the conviction that coaching will be the difference maker. Other players are added to the team as needed via free agency (castoffs, retreads, and second-choices) with the belief that the same coaching skills can restore these players to glory-days.

Players drafted with demonstrated below-average skills but score well on wonderlic (how many fans have scratched their heads on draft day wondering who is this guy, and why didn't they draft....) dominate the player roster. It is the "Patriot Way."  BB believes that a few very skilled/talented players can balance an otherwise cheap but above average intelligent team (a Talib can make the other players combined do a better job).  This works well when playing the Jets, Bills, Dolphins, etc., during the regular season and it seems to work well when playing the lower seeds in the post-season. But it fails when playing the top talented teams. It is what I commonly refer to as the "system" and "value-added" players. Those value added players are let go if they are successful enough to demand greater compensation and replaced with another value added player. This system keeps the owners happy too, as it maximizes profit.

It seems to be one way to confront the built in parity for long term success and it works only if the general management of the team remains above average. Therein lies the fault...BB is not an above average GM. His personnel decisions are one of the main reasons the team has not won a superbowl in ten years. Because the other teams in the AFC East have not been very good it prolongs the rebuilding process for the Patriots.

I've been a Patriots' fan since the late 1960s and the Kraft ownership and BB era has been the best of times (believe me!).  That doesn't mean you can't point out the weaknesses of the team.

The Patriots need to draft better quality players and employ top free agents. The signing of value added draft players, unheralded free agents, castoffs, retreads and second-choices cannot be relied upon to make a complete roster if another super bowl is desired.

In this aspect, Babe is correct.

I never post on here. I am always reading through other people's posts and try not to take sides or get involved in arguments. I will say this. This post above ^^^^^^ describes exactly how I have felt about the patriots for the last ten years.

BB's entire philosophy is to get most out of players who are not so called college superstars. He wants to develop players and wants no name players to outperform their expectations. While that may be good enough to win most regular season games especially against mediocre teams, it hardly works in playoffs against superior teams with much superior talent.

How often has BB went out and drafted a speedy big receiver that has really performed well at the collegiate in an established conference (Julio Jones, AJ Green type).

Having realized over the past decade that the league has turned into a passing league how often has BB drafted a big physical CB? Ras I Dowling?

While you may win postseason games with a good offense, a good defense is key to winning post season games. Look at the final defensive play of the Seahawks-49ers game.

I can go on and on but I think the post above really describes everything in a nutshell.

I don't like to take sides in this debate either because I am as big a BB Fan as I am a TB Fan.  But what you said begs the question of what has Atlanta won with Julio Jones or what have the Bengals won with AJ Green?  What has Buffalo won with Mario Williams and all the other mega signings they did?   The list could go on and on. 

I might add that the Seahawks drafted Sherman in the 5th Round (154th).   I wonder if  the Seahawks knew he was going to be the Sut Down corner that he turned out to be?  

Sometimes it is just plain hit or miss.    

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

You people are truly moronic! How long has it been since Denver beens to the dance? 1998 I believe. They have had season after season of mediocrity. We are in the thick of it year after year. I have never seen a bigger bunch of wine as%@s.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to fourjays30's comment:

You people are truly moronic! How long has it been since Denver beens to the dance? 1998 I believe. They have had season after season of mediocrity. We are in the thick of it year after year. I have never seen a bigger bunch of wine as%@s.

Shhhh, now!  You're injecting an element of rationality into the discussion and many can't tolerate that perspective.  Kindly confine your comments to the extreme.  Thank you.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

Well, gee. Denver did not have a HOF QB after Elway left. Once they got one they were the #1 seed in the AFC both years. I don't understand how hard that is to comprehend. 

Maybe we're tired of seeing the Brady years go to waste. You may be cool with saying we'll get em next year but that's been the case for 10 years now. Eventually Brady and BB are going to leave and mediocrity will ensue.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rezneffix. Show rezneffix's posts

[/QUOTE]

I don't like to take sides in this debate either because I am as big a BB Fan as I am a TB Fan.  But what you said begs the question of what has Atlanta won with Julio Jones or what have the Bengals won with AJ Green?  What has Buffalo won with Mario Williams and all the other mega signings they did?   The list could go on and on. 

I might add that the Seahawks drafted Sherman in the 5th Round (154th).   I wonder if  the Seahawks knew he was going to be the Sut Down corner that he turned out to be?  

[/QUOTE]

You make a good point about Atlanta's accomplishments even with a star like Julio Jones. The one knock on Julio Jones has been him staying healthy.

Jus to give you a counter-argument for the sake of discussion (no animosity whatsoever) I would like to say look at what Tom Brady achieved in the 2007 season with a healthy Randy Moss. My point is not that Randy Moss was the lone factor for Patriots success. My point is a player like Randy Moss totally changed the dynamic of the offense. Opposing teams had to come up with a plan to take him away and it opened up the field for the rest of the receivers. Patriots do not have a receiver of that caliber any more or even anybody close to him, and teams essentially do no thave to focus on anybody. Let me just take that a little further and say that other than Dobson (who I think did well at times and Thompkins (who has not performed up to his preseason hype) the rest of the receivers are fairly small and not very physical. I commend Edelman for the outstanding job he has done and really kept the Patriots in many games that were otherwise impossible to win.

I also agree with you that it is a hit and miss. In general I think in a passing league bigger more physical corners are better matched against big/physical receivers that is all. Dennard has been outstanding. However, it was quite a task for him to match up against Thomas who is so much taller than him and probably as athletic or more athletic than him.

Let the discussion continue....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from umichfan. Show umichfan's posts

In response to Brady2Moss07's comment:

In response to HeygangLH's comment:

Hey Folks- Take Babe here with a grain of salt. He is the Founding father of the Tom Brady Apologist movement.

How many years is it now since the pats did better 2nd third or fourth place-the answer is 11 years. The QB at the helm all those years was and is Tom Brady.

That's it!the blame ultimately falls on the shoulder pads of the QB!Always have and always will. Peyton outplayed Brady and the Broncos won!

Brady didnt lose the game. The O line play sucked. Could not establish the run. No deep threat. The defense could not pressure Manning nor get off the field on 3rd down. Could Brady have played better? Sure, but hard to do when he was constantly pressured and his recievers had a hard time getting open.

not to mention Brady was on the sidelines MOST of the game!!  8 minute drives....how ridiculous!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rezneffix. Show rezneffix's posts

In response to umichfan's comment:

Hey Folks- Take Babe here with a grain of salt. He is the Founding father of the Tom Brady Apologist movement.

How many years is it now since the pats did better 2nd third or fourth place-the answer is 11 years. The QB at the helm all those years was and is Tom Brady.

That's it!the blame ultimately falls on the shoulder pads of the QB!Always have and always will. Peyton outplayed Brady and the Broncos won!

Brady didnt lose the game. The O line play sucked. Could not establish the run. No deep threat. The defense could not pressure Manning nor get off the field on 3rd down. Could Brady have played better? Sure, but hard to do when he was constantly pressured and his recievers had a hard time getting open.

not to mention Brady was on the sidelines MOST of the game!!  8 minute drives....how ridiculous!

Tom Brady missed 3 good opportunities.

Having said that though the defense was horrendous after Talib went down. They could not find a way to get off the field. This led to offensive playcalling becoming totally one dimensional especially having to catch up.

Lets hope for better things next year. Go patriots!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to umichfan's comment:

3 posessions for 3 points is nothing to brag about

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to NCPatsFan1971's comment:

Babe is correct in his analysis but I differ with him as to the reason. I believe BB and TB will go down in the history as one of the best head coaches/quarterback duos in the game. They are both very talented in their specialization. However, BB is not a good general manager and he never has been. His selection of players to form his total team is lacking and he loses the big one as a result. This is partly a matter of his personality. The other factor is how teams are formed in the league with an emphasis on parity. Salary cap and draft order ensures a rotation of successful teams. It keeps a robust fan base and ensures overall profitability for owners.

BB gets the most out of his players. He is successful year in and year out. Consequently he is always at the end of the draft order. Instead of taking the top player available in the draft, both he and Kraft follow the philosophy of "valued-added" players. Thus, BB will trade down in the draft in the belief that there is not much difference in talent level between available players. The team is put together on the cheap with the conviction that coaching will be the difference maker. Other players are added to the team as needed via free agency (castoffs, retreads, and second-choices) with the belief that the same coaching skills can restore these players to glory-days.

Players drafted with demonstrated below-average skills but score well on wonderlic (how many fans have scratched their heads on draft day wondering who is this guy, and why didn't they draft....) dominate the player roster. It is the "Patriot Way."  BB believes that a few very skilled/talented players can balance an otherwise cheap but above average intelligent team (a Talib can make the other players combined do a better job).  This works well when playing the Jets, Bills, Dolphins, etc., during the regular season and it seems to work well when playing the lower seeds in the post-season. But it fails when playing the top talented teams. It is what I commonly refer to as the "system" and "value-added" players. Those value added players are let go if they are successful enough to demand greater compensation and replaced with another value added player. This system keeps the owners happy too, as it maximizes profit.

It seems to be one way to confront the built in parity for long term success and it works only if the general management of the team remains above average. Therein lies the fault...BB is not an above average GM. His personnel decisions are one of the main reasons the team has not won a superbowl in ten years. Because the other teams in the AFC East have not been very good it prolongs the rebuilding process for the Patriots.

I've been a Patriots' fan since the late 1960s and the Kraft ownership and BB era has been the best of times (believe me!).  That doesn't mean you can't point out the weaknesses of the team.

The Patriots need to draft better quality players and employ top free agents. The signing of value added draft players, unheralded free agents, castoffs, retreads and second-choices cannot be relied upon to make a complete roster if another super bowl is desired.

I never post on here. I am always reading through other people's posts and try not to take sides or get involved in arguments. I will say this. This post above ^^^^^^ describes exactly how I have felt about the patriots for the last ten years.

BB's entire philosophy is to get most out of players who are not so called college superstars. He wants to develop players and wants no name players to outperform their expectations. While that may be good enough to win most regular season games especially against mediocre teams, it hardly works in playoffs against superior teams with much superior talent.

How often has BB went out and drafted a speedy big receiver that has really performed well at the collegiate in an established conference (Julio Jones, AJ Green type).

Having realized over the past decade that the league has turned into a passing league how often has BB drafted a big physical CB? Ras I Dowling?

While you may win postseason games with a good offense, a good defense is key to winning post season games. Look at the final defensive play of the Seahawks-49ers game.

I can go on and on but I think the post above really describes everything in a nutshell.

You make a good point about Atlanta's accomplishments even with a star like Julio Jones. The one knock on Julio Jones has been him staying healthy.

Jus to give you a counter-argument for the sake of discussion (no animosity whatsoever) I would like to say look at what Tom Brady achieved in the 2007 season with a healthy Randy Moss. My point is not that Randy Moss was the lone factor for Patriots success. My point is a player like Randy Moss totally changed the dynamic of the offense. Opposing teams had to come up with a plan to take him away and it opened up the field for the rest of the receivers. Patriots do not have a receiver of that caliber any more or even anybody close to him, and teams essentially do no thave to focus on anybody. Let me just take that a little further and say that other than Dobson (who I think did well at times and Thompkins (who has not performed up to his preseason hype) the rest of the receivers are fairly small and not very physical. I commend Edelman for the outstanding job he has done and really kept the Patriots in many games that were otherwise impossible to win.

I also agree with you that it is a hit and miss. In general I think in a passing league bigger more physical corners are better matched against big/physical receivers that is all. Dennard has been outstanding. However, it was quite a task for him to match up against Thomas who is so much taller than him and probably as athletic or more athletic than him.

Let the discussion continue....

I agree with you on a player like Moss.  That year they were one play from absolute perfection.  Which brings up other points of luck and circumstance.  I hate to bring up the what if's but what about the call on the field goal (that was the one and only time that type of penalty was ever called) at the Jets that cost the Pats the game?  Or what if the mugging that Gronk took in the end zone against Carolina was called? 

If either one of these wierd things had gone the other way, then Denver might have played at New England with bad weather and 20 Mile an hour winds etc.    I know there were a lot of close games that the Pats won too but I'm just sayin.  :) 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rezneffix. Show rezneffix's posts

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on a player like Moss.  That year they were one play from absolute perfection.  Which brings up other points of luck and circumstance.  I hate to bring up the what if's but what about the call on the field goal (that was the one and only time that type of penalty was ever called) at the Jets that cost the Pats the game?  Or what if the mugging that Gronk took in the end zone against Carolina was called? 

If either one of these wierd things had gone the other way, then Denver might have played at New England with bad weather and 20 Mile an hour winds etc.    I know there were a lot of close games that the Pats won too but I'm just sayin.  :) 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah those calls really changed the course of action for the entire season. If that one penalty and that PI or holding was called on Gronk we would probably be playing in cold weather at home which are both unfavorable conditions for Manning.

You know we can talk as much as want about Gronk/Talib being injury prone, but looking at it without being biased or emotional both of the players went down on plays that weren't their faults. The hit Gronk took was devastating and had nothing to do with his ability to stay healthy. Dustin Keller took a very similar hit earlier in the season that resulted in almost the exact same outcome (I am unaware of the exact details of his knee injury).

All we as fans can hope for is at some point in the upcoming seasons those things will fall in our favor and the plays that we missed in playoff games will not happen and finally we will get to rejoice another SB win.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think Belichick ha done a relatively poor job the last five years, I don't think that's even debatable. Yesterday I watched a horse toothed former quarterback do a better job building his team than BB. Think about that...Elway is a better GM than Belichick. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

Yeah those calls really changed the course of action for the entire season. If that one penalty and that PI or holding was called on Gronk we would probably be playing in cold weather at home which are both unfavorable conditions for Manning.

You know we can talk as much as want about Gronk/Talib being injury prone, but looking at it without being biased or emotional both of the players went down on plays that weren't their faults. The hit Gronk took was devastating and had nothing to do with his ability to stay healthy. Dustin Keller took a very similar hit earlier in the season that resulted in almost the exact same outcome (I am unaware of the exact details of his knee injury).

All we as fans can hope for is at some point in the upcoming seasons those things will fall in our favor and the plays that we missed in playoff games will not happen and finally we will get to rejoice another SB win.

Absolutely agree.   

There was a time that I would be as upset as some are on this board after a loss like this one.   Not anymore.   Instead, regarding Sports I'll look forward to the rest of the Bruins season, Spring Training for the Red Sox, some hope and a few Lottery Picks for the Celtics and the next Patriots Draft - Summer Camp etc.   :) 

• This post has been removed.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from rezneffix. Show rezneffix's posts

Hey BB could start with drafting Stanley Jean-Baptiste to give our pass defense a major boost. In todays NFL if you can slow down the passing game you have done a good job defensively speaking. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Baffle. Show Baffle's posts

In response to NCPatsFan1971's comment:

I would say in those other scenarios you don't have the coaching level needed to complement the talented players. I think the combination of both is critical. Also, position matters. QB, OL, and DB being more critical than WR. OL pave the way for the run game and protect the franchise/buy time for passes. In a passing league, QBS can beat a pass rush through quick throws and scheme so assuming passes will get out, top coverage is key to success. Sherman was a nice surprise to complement top talent In Earl Thomas.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Yeah!

Thanks Tom Brady!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from vasolinecatbust. Show vasolinecatbust's posts

In response to Bungalow-Bill's comment:

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

The game should have been 13-6 at half. I have no issues with that on the road needing to regroup at halftime. That''s what Baltimore had last year on the road vs us.  Talib was taken out on a cheapshot and Hooman flagged for phantom OFF PI call that to even today no one can explain. The awkward silence on the broadcast was just that. Awkward.  

This D was ravaged by injuries.    Your irrational behavior on this topic is not worth even engaging with.

35+ passes, you didn't take the wager, which means I won again.

Note how Gomie makes it a point to engage his lead back.

Moron. Complete and utter flipping moron. Brady has no one to throw to except for a shrimp receiver in Edelman. You think the offense was healthy jackazz? The defense allowed 5...YES FIVE!....drives of 60 yards or more. BB defensive genius? LMAO I think not.

Every game they lose is the same:

Zero pressure on opposing QB. 

Wide receivers open downfield on nearly every play (still want to pay McCourty big money?)

How about wittle Kywie Arrington not picking off a gimme which led to a TD on a 92 yd drive?

Get a clue, if not for a bunch of Manning miscues the game could have been 45-10. How's that pathetic Denver D you were talking about? Surely, better than the one the genius fields...

BUSTCHISEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey mega NY Jets Troll Tool.....how's KELLEN WINSLOW DOING TONIGHT....TEACHING HIM HOW TO NAIL THE NEIGHBOR'S KITTIES?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

Well, gee. Denver did not have a HOF QB after Elway left. Once they got one they were the #1 seed in the AFC both years. I don't understand how hard that is to comprehend. 

Maybe we're tired of seeing the Brady years go to waste. You may be cool with saying we'll get em next year but that's been the case for 10 years now. Eventually Brady and BB are going to leave and mediocrity will ensue.

Denver has done nothing with Manning yet.  They lost in the divisional round last year despite being the no. 1 seed.  It remains to be seen what they will do this year.  Manning might be 1-2 in Super Bowls after this year.

Winning a championship in the NFL is damned hard.  Don't you think fans in Green Bay are complaining that the team is wasting Aaron Rodgers's best years?  What are they saying in New Orleans about wasting Brees's best years?  What did they say in Indianapolis all the years the Colts failed despite having Peyton Manning?  What are fans saying in SF now that the 49ers have lost three NFC chapionship games in a row?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Cloudyandrain. Show Cloudyandrain's posts

Babe is right, people. sorry.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to newenglanderinexile's comment:

Denver has done nothing with Manning yet. 

Well, Manning isn't Brady. If Brady was on that team last year, they would have done plenty.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I think the Pats have a legit-shot at another title within the next two seasons but BB needs to bring in legit talent NOW that will help get a title, not these project players that he is rolling the dice on every season.  So much wasted cap money that pans out to be nothing more then players who aren't talented enough to get the title yet stay on the books far too long causing the team to try and will it's way to another championship.  We have seen this recipe fail for far too long now.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BigMustache. Show BigMustache's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

as long as BB remains GM.

Do you understand that? I'm guaranteeing it. NEVER.

Most of you will probably never see another Pats SB win in your lifetime.

Kraft is no longer sharp and is unlikely to make the needed changes. His kid shows no signs of being the man his dad was (Very few silver spoon kids do. Rather, they usually run the biz into the ground.).

So enjoy a couple more AFCEast titles. That's all you're getting.

BUSTCHISEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey mega NY Jets Troll Tool.....how's KELLEN WINSLOW DOING TONIGHT....TEACHING HIM HOW TO NAIL THE NEIGHBOR'S KITTIES?

• Sections
    Shortcuts