Never thought I'd start this thread but - Ridley

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Never thought I'd start this thread but - Ridley

Damn this kid is frustrating.  Clearly a talented RB with a bright future BUT and it is a big BUT he continues to cough up the football.  I've been rooting for the kid but I must say I was disappointed that, yet again, he gave it up last night.   Yes, I know it's a preseason game but I can't believe that BB's confidence in this kid is particularly strong at this point.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Never thought I'd start this thread but - Ridley

have to give Reiss credit when he said Ridley was not a lock to make the team.

From what I have seen of White (granted, not a lot) I do not think he has stood out or seized the opportunity. I thought Vereen was clearly the best back for the PAts last night 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

I think they said Ridley only fumbled 4x last season; but all came at inopportune times.

Talented, but the team should minimize fumbles.  I think Bolden has zero fumbles.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yes, the fumbling is a concern and it was disappointing to see it happen again last night.  I think he's the best runner on the team, but if he can't hold on to the ball, he's not going to last.  On average, running plays net about one-third less yardage than passing plays (and that's taking into account incompletions and lost yardage due to sacks), which means the value of the run diminishes greatly if it's not a very safe and reliable play.  Once running becomes risky thanks to fumbles, it loses its major advantage over the pass. This is one reason Belichick is so tough on running backs who fumble even just twice and comparatively forgiving with QBs who throw interceptions occasionally.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

The patriots appear to have a stable full of RBs from what I saw last night.  That is a bad sign for Ridley

Defense.  It is still important.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The problem is he is the best runner we have on the team, no one on the roster right now physically can handle the inside runs...now maybe White can, but it didn't look like it last night. Who knows? Maybe they give that kid Gray more opportunities, he looked good against scrubs last night, but as of right now Ridley has the most running talent on the roster. Speaking of Gray I watched him a little at camp last week and although I couldn't tell anything about how good he is at one practice, one thing is for sure, that kid loves football. He gets up after every play bouncing around like this is the only place on earth he wants to be, which is more than I can say for Boyce who looks like walking from point A, to point B, is a major headache.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I don't think Ridley is going anywhere. 

On a side note, I liked the way gray ran last night, and finch also looked good. Tough decisions ahead. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Damn this kid is frustrating.  Clearly a talented RB with a bright future BUT and it is a big BUT he continues to cough up the football.  I've been rooting for the kid but I must say I was disappointed that, yet again, he gave it up last night.   Yes, I know it's a preseason game but I can't believe that BB's confidence in this kid is particularly strong at this point.

[/QUOTE]
    The kid runs hard and you can tell he cares. I think it is probably even frustrating for him. Let's hope he corrects this issue and we get to talk about during the season what a good back this kid is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Yeah, it sucks to see the ball fall to the turf again. I don't think that the fumble was egregious though and it wasn't even a legit fumble, his knee was clearly down. But yes, he needs to hold onto the football

outside of the fumble, his running last night was the best I've seen out of him since 2012

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Ridley was down, I don't care about it as far as last night.

last years fumbles were made to see even bigger because not only were they inopportune times(not many fumbles ARE opportune timing) but with Brady and the pups struggling in their own right it hurt even more.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Any TO is bad, including INT's. They compound if your in the Red Zone, or if your inside your own Red Zone. Losing points, and giving up easy points, are the killers. Fumbles or INT's.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I hoped he would of figured it out by now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Any TO is bad, including INT's. They compound if your in the Red Zone, or if your inside your own Red Zone. Losing points, and giving up easy points, are the killers. Fumbles or INT's.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. Ridley has had his chances and hasn't corrected whatever his problem is with holding on the ball. There is no question he is the best down hill runner they have. But ever since the fumble against the Ravens back in 2012 he hasn't been the same. This was why Blount took over last year but they don't have anyone like Blount on the team right now and I don't want to make this a Blount discussion. My point is they don't have the runner that has speed, size, power, and defensive secondaries fear that gets the diffucult yards in the cold weather on their roster right now and they are going to need one.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Ridley could truly be something special if he could ever get his fumble issue under control.  You can just see it in the way he reads the holes and then bursts into them for positive yardage, and often more than what was there.  Just a very elusive and powerful back.  If I was BB, rather than sidelining him after his first fumble to make it seem like the coaching staff just can't trust you anymore, I would do the opposite and let it ride with him.  For some people to have confidence in themselves they need others to have confidence in them, and I think Ridley falls into this category. 

That being said, letting Blount walk was a big mistake that may come back to haunt us this year. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

what is Riddlers longest run from the los in his career? 31 yards. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Blount? Why?  I like Blount, but I don't see that at all if Bolden is healthy this year and someone like Jonas Gray sticks.

Bolden looks healthy again to me.  He completely undressed Brandon Boykin on the perimeter move.  That's something Bolden can do well, which Ridley can't really do.  Ridley takes more effort to get moving while Bolden is quicker to daylight and smoother.

[/QUOTE]

While I like Bolden, I'm not sold on him yet.  Whereas Blount, I was completely sold.  250lb backs that move like 210lb backs do not grow on trees.  We completely broke the backs of a few teams last year by running down their throats and grinding them down to the point where opposing defensive players must have been mentally pleading for Brady to throw the ball rather than having to try and tackle Blount again.  It reminded me of days gone by with the likes of Bettis and Campbell. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:
    [QUOTE]
    While I like Bolden, I'm not sold on him yet.  Whereas Blount, I was completely sold.  250lb backs that move like 210lb backs do not grow on trees.  We completely broke the backs of a few teams last year by running down their throats and grinding them down to the point where opposing defensive players must have been mentally pleading for Brady to throw the ball rather than having to try and tackle Blount again.  It reminded me of days gone by with the likes of Bettis and Campbell. 

[/QUOTE]

Blount was a two-game wonder, then poof - non-existent during playoffs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealBustchise. Show TheRealBustchise's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Blount? Why?  I like Blount, but I don't see that at all if Bolden is healthy this year and someone like Jonas Gray sticks.

Bolden looks healthy again to me.  He completely undressed Brandon Boykin on the perimeter move.  That's something Bolden can do well, which Ridley can't really do.  Ridley takes more effort to get moving while Bolden is quicker to daylight and smoother.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Here is the thing with Blount:  He needed a hole to run through and didn't see the hole that was about to open up. So, once through the line, sure, he was big and could run away from the defense.

But, he's so limited where he's not a good pass receiver, and at times where you think he could use size for power, he's surprisingly finesse. I mentioned that after seeing him in preseason last year and my take didn't change during the year, where he had chances to get low and fall forward for a yard or two, and was too high, being stood up.

Ridley and Bolden see holes before they actually open which is where I think they are superior to a Blount.

My only complaints with a Vereen or a Bolden are health related.   WHen Bolden has been implemented into gameplans the last 2 years, he's been very good across the board. He's also a huge threat, IMO, in the flat on a check down.

[/QUOTE]

Vereen is a second round bust!  You said it yourself.  When a GM takes a back in the 2nd round he is expected to be a "lead back". Powell had more yards in 2013 than Vereen has had in his entire 3 year career.  Suck on that, Beano!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

What fumble?

[object HTMLDivElement]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

In response to TheRealBustchise's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Vereen wasn't meant to be an every down back nor was Kevin Faulk which the Patriots are hoping Vereen turns into. He has shown flashes and this really is the make or break year for him to do just that.

But then this thread is about Ridley not Vereen. So back to the subject...

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Here is the thing with Blount:  He needed a hole to run through and didn't see the hole that was about to open up. So, once through the line, sure, he was big and could run away from the defense.

But, he's so limited where he's not a good pass receiver, and at times where you think he could use size for power, he's surprisingly finesse. I mentioned that after seeing him in preseason last year and my take didn't change during the year, where he had chances to get low and fall forward for a yard or two, and was too high, being stood up.

Ridley and Bolden see holes before they actually open which is where I think they are superior to a Blount.

My only complaints with a Vereen or a Bolden are health related.   WHen Bolden has been implemented into gameplans the last 2 years, he's been very good across the board. He's also a huge threat, IMO, in the flat on a check down.

[/QUOTE]

Vereen is a second round bust!  You said it yourself.  When a GM takes a back in the 2nd round he is expected to be a "lead back". Powell had more yards in 2013 than Vereen has had in his entire 3 year career.  Suck on that, Beano!

[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

Ridley could truly be something special if he could ever get his fumble issue under control.  You can just see it in the way he reads the holes and then bursts into them for positive yardage, and often more than what was there.  Just a very elusive and powerful back.  If I was BB, rather than sidelining him after his first fumble to make it seem like the coaching staff just can't trust you anymore, I would do the opposite and let it ride with him.  For some people to have confidence in themselves they need others to have confidence in them, and I think Ridley falls into this category. 

That being said, letting Blount walk was a big mistake that may come back to haunt us this year. 

[/QUOTE]

I see your point and I agree with it a little on Ridley, I'd probably lean towards cutting him a little slack just to see how it goes. If/when he starts fumbling again, I'd make a decision on him then - and this is only because I don't think we really have anyone else who can carry the load - I hope White will be able to help, but we'll have to wait and see.

As for Blount, I wasn't a big fan.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealBustchise. Show TheRealBustchise's posts

Apparently this thread is about Vereen, Ridley, BLount Bolden and Faulk.   Personally, I think Maroney Sammy Morris and Fred Taylor should be included.  But, nice try.  Just curiosus, 47, how is it that you know what the intentions for Vereen were when he was drafted in the 2nd round?  

Sections
Shortcuts