Never thought I'd start this thread but - Ridley

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Never thought I'd start this thread but - Ridley

While I wasnt a big Blount fan I think I lean more towards him than Ridley. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

In response to TheRealBustchise's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Apparently this thread is about Vereen, Ridley, BLount Bolden and Faulk.   Personally, I think Maroney Sammy Morris and Fred Taylor should be included.  But, nice try.  Just curiosus, 47, how is it that you know what the intentions for Vereen were when he was drafted in the 2nd round?  

[/QUOTE]

Every team in the NFL has their Maroney, Sammy Morris and Fred Taylor stories to tell.

Kevin Faulk was also a 2nd round pick back in 1999. He took Vereen under his wing before he retired. There have been lots of comparisons between the two. It's not like I have an inside source. It's information I remember reading in the sports sections of the local news papers and of course on-line articles.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

For those of you being really hard on Ridley for fumbling a look at 2013 RBs:
    (These are fumbles, not lost fumbles, but recovered and lost)

Ridley: 178 carries 3 fumbles
    Blount: 153 carries 3 fumbles

Jamaal Charles: 259 carries 4 fumbles
    Alfred Morris: 276 carries 5 fumbles
    CJ Spiller: 202 carries 4 fumbles
    Reggie Bush: 223 carries 5 fumbles
    Ben Tate: 181 carries 4 fumbles
    Joique Bell: 166 carries 4 fumbles
    Rashard Mendenhall: 217 carries 4 fumbles

Just some numbers there... and here's back in 2012 where Ridley produced 1200 yards for us....

Ridley: 290 carries 4 fumbles

Jamaal Charles: 285 carries 5 fumbles
    Reggie Bush: 227 carries 4 fumbles
    Lesean McCoy: 200 carries 4 fumbles
    Marshawn Lynch: 315 carries 4 fumbles
    Alfred Morris: 335 carries 4 fumbles
    BJGE: 276 carries 3 fumbles

Fumbling happens. I'm not saying it isn't a problem, but this problem may have the magnifying glass a little close on it. 2012 ridley was fine to me, people complained and that year about 4 fumbles on 290 touches. Last season, the timing of his fumbles were horrible, but still 3 in 178 isn't an insane amount

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealBustchise. Show TheRealBustchise's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just some numbers there... and here's back in 2012 where Ridley produced 1200 yards for us....

Fumbling happens. I'm not saying it isn't a problem, but this problem may have the magnifying glass a little close on it. 2012 ridley was fine to me, people complained and that year about 4 fumbles on 290 touches. Last season, the timing of his fumbles were horrible, but still 3 in 178 isn't an insane amount

[/QUOTE]

I heard that BB grabbed a "free sixth round pick" to replace both Ridley and Vereen who can't wait to get out of NE.  One caveat - he's on the IR.  Smells like Jake Ballard revisited.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

In response to TheRealBustchise's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I heard that BB grabbed a "free sixth round pick" to replace both Ridley and Vereen who can't wait to get out of NE.  One caveat - he's on the IR.  Smells like Jake Ballard revisited.

[/QUOTE]

Just where are you hearing that Ridley and Vereen can't wait to get out of NE?

Taking a chance on Gaffney is low risk. and Tyler Gaffney's torn lateral meniscus in his left knee is a little different than Jake Ballard's ACL and damaged cartilage that required microfracture surgery which in the end ended his career. No one knew for sure including the Giants how this was going to turn out. Hindsight is 20/20 and foresight is 50/50. Gaffney's recovery has a better chance of success than Ballard's.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yeah but Ridley's fumbles are worse because he's a patriot....

Right?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

One problem with Ridley is that every defense knows he has fumbling issues and their guys will sell out to strip the ball. BB isn't going to tolerate many more fumbles. Ridley is on a short leash. But he is also very talented and is such a hard nosed runner. I think his days in New England are numbered.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Actually if we lost that ball and it was reviewed it would be overturned because his elbow was down from what I saw. But the ball still came out so.......................

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah but Ridley's fumbles are worse because he's a patriot....

Right?

[/QUOTE]

You'll have to ask Bill Belichick, because he's the one benching Ridley, not the posters on BDC. Belichick has always been particularly intolerant of running backs who fumble. At times it's seemed extreme to me, but I think it says a lot about what BB expects out of his running game. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

You'll have to ask Bill Belichick, because he's the one benching Ridley, not the posters on BDC. Belichick has always been particularly intolerant of running backs who fumble. At times it's seemed extreme to me, but I think it says a lot about what BB expects out of his running game. 

Did Belichick start this thread? Posters here can be over critical at times.

Fumbling is bad. I get that. But every running back fumbles.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Did Belichick start this thread? Posters here can be over critical at times.

Fumbling is bad. I get that. But every running back fumbles.

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely true, but Belichick seems to have particularly low tolerance for it.  As was pointed out above, Ridley's fumbles are close to the norm for running backs, but Ridley has been benched several times because of fumbles.  Maybe it's more the way the fumbles occur than the number of them that annoys Belichick, but it's hard to deny that Belichick seems annoyed by them. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Why are we still talking about Blount? 

"The patriots appear to have a stable full of RBs from what I saw last night. That is a bad sign for Ridley"

Ummm no - Ridley is the best runner on the team. He's not going to get cut. If he puts the ball on the ground in the regular season he may find his carries limited and it may give another back a chance to deliver. But Ridley will be on the roster. 

I was more discouraged about Ridley's comments after the game rationalizing the fumble than anything else. But - we'll see. Willing to write that one off and see what happens next.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

have to give Reiss credit when he said Ridley was not a lock to make the team.

From what I have seen of White (granted, not a lot) I do not think he has stood out or seized the opportunity. I thought Vereen was clearly the best back for the PAts last night 

[/QUOTE]

Of you look to White as a feature runner or a 2nd string feature runner then no he wont stand out. Probably ever.

But if you look at him as a Kevin Faulk he is already standing out. Check out the pass blocking in game 2. He looks like a vet there. And if you run him north south he is good, solid but not explosive. Faulk was not explosive either.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

Yes, the fumbling is a concern and it was disappointing to see it happen again last night.  I think he's the best runner on the team, but if he can't hold on to the ball, he's not going to last.  On average, running plays net about one-third less yardage than passing plays (and that's taking into account incompletions and lost yardage due to sacks), which means the value of the run diminishes greatly if it's not a very safe and reliable play.  Once running becomes risky thanks to fumbles, it loses its major advantage over the pass. This is one reason Belichick is so tough on running backs who fumble even just twice and comparatively forgiving with QBs who throw interceptions occasionally.  

[/QUOTE]

I think it is really a mater of percentages. A QB will throw picks and if their percentage is high then they will sit. Same with RBs. You can fumble X times but it is the percentage that will kill you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

Yes, the fumbling is a concern and it was disappointing to see it happen again last night.  I think he's the best runner on the team, but if he can't hold on to the ball, he's not going to last.  On average, running plays net about one-third less yardage than passing plays (and that's taking into account incompletions and lost yardage due to sacks), which means the value of the run diminishes greatly if it's not a very safe and reliable play.  Once running becomes risky thanks to fumbles, it loses its major advantage over the pass. This is one reason Belichick is so tough on running backs who fumble even just twice and comparatively forgiving with QBs who throw interceptions occasionally.  

[/QUOTE]

I dont want the Pats to think passing more is the answer to fumbling. They have invested too much with the line as well so I think Ridley would lose carries before they just scrap the run game. I have heard so many things about White in practice but sadly he hasnt made his mark in the games yet and def. not enough to warrant cutting Ridley outright. No harm in him being here. No way I cut him. Reduce his workload if he keeps fumbling? You Betcha'

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

In response to dfitzp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One problem with Ridley is that every defense knows he has fumbling issues and their guys will sell out to strip the ball. BB isn't going to tolerate many more fumbles. Ridley is on a short leash. But he is also very talented and is such a hard nosed runner. I think his days in New England are numbered.

[/QUOTE]

the leash is probably one fumble per 5 games. anything more than that and he's gone. cut. released. hope he studied in college. if not, his own fault. too bad too. seems like a nice kid.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

have to give Reiss credit when he said Ridley was not a lock to make the team.

From what I have seen of White (granted, not a lot) I do not think he has stood out or seized the opportunity. I thought Vereen was clearly the best back for the PAts last night 

[/QUOTE]

I propose that Vereen has been their best back since he was drafted. His issue is breaking body parts. If he can put a full season together, he will likely find himself on the Pro Bowl squad, and obviously declining because he'll be headed elsewhere.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think they said Ridley only fumbled 4x last season; but all came at inopportune times.

Talented, but the team should minimize fumbles.  I think Bolden has zero fumbles.

[/QUOTE]

Yup, he fumbled only 4 times...in 3 consecutive games after fumbling in the opener, and Blount took over after that. 

Just puting some context on those "only 4" fumbles.

BJGE had a career of not fumbling (0 in 4 seasons in NE). Then went to Cincy and proceeded to fumble 3 times in the first 4 games as a Bengal. 

Sometimes you can't account for it. Ridley, however, just can't hold on to it. I don't know if it's bad habits he won't kick, hyper hydrosis of the forearms, really small hands, or some combination of that and more. 

I was done with Ridley when he fumbled in Week 1 last season. All those OBVIOUS problems in the layoffs, and in WEEK ONE OF THE FOLLOWING SEASON, showed he hadn't solved it. It's embarrassing. Were he going to figure it out, he would've done it by now. His fuble on Friday is just one more in a LONG HISTORY of fumbling for this kid. He can't be trusted fo rlong stretches, and if not for the undeniable talent, he'd already be gone. As soon as the Pats can move on from him, they will. Tiki Barber, he ain't.

Week 1, second quarter last season:

8:25 1st & 5, BUF24
    Stevan Ridley rushed up the middle for 2 yard loss. Stevan Ridley fumbled. Da'Norris Searcy recovered fumble and returned for 74 yards. Dan Carpenter made PAT

Pats forced a punt, moved 30 yards, and he coughs it up for an immediate 6 the other way. Those kinds of mistakes are simply unnacceptable. He then fumbled in 3 straight games later that season, and now in preseason week 2. No. I'm done. To quote Kenny Powers, "Ridley, you're fking out!"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/content/20140818-stevan-ridley-got-a-sick-feeling-after-his-fumble-against-the-eagles.ece

"“It’s too close to call, man. Either way, I need to avoid those plays in general,” Ridley said. “There’s nothing really else to be said about it. I hated it. It was a sick feeling for a second. We looked at the play, it is what it is, but either way one out is too many. But I’m not going to harp on that. I’m going to learn from it.”"

-------

When will he learn?