New and improved BB the GM poll.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

New and improved BB the GM poll.

Persons noted they had choices on the last poll that were not included. I am interested in what the fans think so I'm going to try this again.

If this is bothersome for you please, by all means, don't partake.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

Re: New and improved BB the GM poll.

Not SO High On BB the GM as the coach .
    BB the GM gives BB the coach all kinds of challenges
    like Ocho and all the cast off CB.
    would rather have BB the GM give BB the coach
    some talent to work with.

and welcome back babe,
    you are not alone in criticism , cant be blind forever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Thanks for editing the poll. If me must debate these kind of things, it's better to have all the options out there. 

For my part I chose good, five years ago it would have been great. Another draft like the 2009/2010 draft, and great it is. 

He's had some ... frustrations ... patching certain holes in the draft, so I reserve that judgement. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to New and improved BB the GM poll.:
    Persons noted they had choices on the last poll that were not included. I am interested in what the fans think so I'm going to try this again. If this is bothersome for you please, by all means, don't partake.
    Posted by BabeParilli

No question, BB has had his share of misses in the draft. But, all GMs do. My main criticisms of him are as follows:

1.) 2011: I liked the Solder pick at #17. But, at #33, I felt that the Pats would have been better served with pass-rusher Jabaal Sheard over injury prone, but talented CB, Ras-I Dowling. As it turned out, either OLB Brooks Reed or Sheard would have been better choices. Though I liked the trade with New Orleans, I'd rather have seen the Pats choose WR Torrie Holt over RB Shane Vereen. Had the Pats taken Sheard and Holt, they may have beaten the Giants in the SB...and the 2011 draft  would have been included along with the 2010 draft as among the best in Patriots' history. 

2.) 2009: After the Pats took the injured Brandon Tate with the 83rd overall pick, and the Steelers choose Mike Wallace with the 84th overall pick, I looked up Wallace and saw his 40 time...and immediately wondered why the Pats didn't take him. That colossal mistake has proven costly. The Darius Butler and Ron Brace picks were disastrous. But, at the time they were made, looked good. 

3.) 2006: The Laurence Maroney pick at #21 (although Maroney did contribute for three years), and the awful choice of trading up for WR Chad Jackson.  But, again, these fall under the classification of hindsight being 20/20...because at the time these moves were made, they looked good.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Texas, I feel like a lot of the guys we use as evidence of Belichick's poor drafting, was much less his fault, as it was the fault of the player.

As evidenced with Maroney, Butler, Jackson and Tate, these players wouldn't have succeeded anywhere. They went to other teams and continued to fall flat on their face. All the talent was there, but evidently the work-ethic wasn't. You can't blame Belichick for taking the most talented player available. Most teams likely would have done the same, and as fans, that's really all we can ask for.

I still like the Dowling pick over either Sheard or Reed. No guarantee that either of those players would have had success in our system. Furthermore, for the short time that Dowling was healthy, he looked like a shutdown CB. He covered Brandon Marshall man-for-man on three consecutive goalline plays and shutdown him down each time. If the guy can stay healthy (and that's a big IF), he will pay off big time, and will be another great pick by Belichick.

Again, hindsight is always 20-20. There'll be hits and misses, but so long as the ratio is at or around 50/50, and so long as there are consistently solid FA acquisitions, I don't think we can complain. For every miss there has been a hit, and there have been multiple FA's who have made an impact.

I personally think Belichick has been a great GM for us.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: New and improved BB the GM poll.:
    Thanks for editing the poll. If me must debate these kind of things, it's better to have all the options out there.  For my part I chose good, five years ago it would have been great. Another draft like the 2009/2010 draft, and great it is.  He's had some ... frustrations ... patching certain holes in the draft, so I reserve that judgement. 
    Posted by zbellino

Glad this works out better for you z.

I still went with average. My reasoning is as follows:

I don't feel it is easy to stand out as great or terrible in this much like most things that humans do with their brain. Similar to human intelligence in general (IQ) it is a bell curve with extreme deviations being relatively rare and diminishing in frequency.

He is not encumbered with trying to find the elite QB. There are really only a half dozen teams that do not have to continually drain resources searching for that costly piece.

Despite drafting lower because of winning records, that has not hurt him much. The rookie costs before the wage scale actually hurt the poor teams badly as they were paying huge cap bucks to guys that all too often were not worth it. With the new scale BB's penalty in that will be much greater from here on. All the more reason to get it done while Brady is around.

When he has hit he has done pretty well. But his misses have too often been bad misses. Many high picks have been spent on guys that were sooo bad. If not for that I could up it to above average or more.

His high profile FA signings have been too spotty as well. It is nearly compulsory that if you spend relatively big cap resources on a FA they must be a hit. I believe his misses have prompted him to concentrate on larger numbers of less costly FAs so the impact of a blunder is less obvious and the chances of one of them excelling are still viable. In this he can spend the same money, just on more guys, and any busts don't have the negative impact they would otherwise and also do not make him look bad.

Another edge he has that doesn't have anything to do with his GM skills is that he knows as a coach when a guy just doesn't have it. Nobody will be getting a lot out of someone coach BB tells GM BB is no longer worth it. With another GM his weight as a coach on that kind of decision might be overruled on occasion.

Bottom line: If an average GM came in and replaced him I think the results would be very similar. That GM would still have him as a coach and Brady as a QB. It would be kind of hard to screw that up unless you were terrible as a GM.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Texas, I feel like a lot of the guys we use as evidence of Belichick's poor drafting, was much less his fault, as it was the fault of the player. As evidenced with Maroney, Butler, Jackson and Tate, these players wouldn't have succeeded anywhere. They went to other teams and continued to fall flat on their face. All the talent was there, but evidently the work-ethic wasn't. You can't blame Belichick for taking the most talented player available. Most teams likely would have done the same, and as fans, that's really all we can ask for. I still like the Dowling pick over either Sheard or Reed. No guarantee that either of those players would have had success in our system. Furthermore, for the short time that Dowling was healthy, he looked like a shutdown CB. He covered Brandon Marshall man-for-man on three consecutive goalline plays and shutdown him down each time. If the guy can stay healthy (and that's a big IF), he will pay off big time, and will be another great pick by Belichick. Again, hindsight is always 20-20. There'll be hits and misses, but so long as the ratio is at or around 50/50, and so long as there are consistently solid FA acquisitions, I don't think we can complain. For every miss there has been a hit, and there have been multiple FA's who have made an impact. I personally think Belichick has been a great GM for us.
    Posted by vertigho

I don't buy this one vert. That's the job of the GM, to find players that do get it done.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Texas, I feel like a lot of the guys we use as evidence of Belichick's poor drafting, was much less his fault, as it was the fault of the player. As evidenced with Maroney, Butler, Jackson and Tate, these players wouldn't have succeeded anywhere. They went to other teams and continued to fall flat on their face. All the talent was there, but evidently the work-ethic wasn't. You can't blame Belichick for taking the most talented player available. Most teams likely would have done the same, and as fans, that's really all we can ask for.

RESPONSE: I'm not buying it. Perhaps you can blame the scouting department for being high on these guys, and recommending them to BB. But, ultimately, it's BB who makes the decision...and it's BB who gets the blame. GMs are paid to be right...not to take guys with the most talent.

I still like the Dowling pick over either Sheard or Reed. No guarantee that either of those players would have had success in our system. Furthermore, for the short time that Dowling was healthy, he looked like a shutdown CB. He covered Brandon Marshall man-for-man on three consecutive goalline plays and shutdown him down each time. If the guy can stay healthy (and that's a big IF), he will pay off big time, and will be another great pick by Belichick.

RESPONSE: Ras-I did show promise in his short stint as a starter. But, BB knew of the injury red flags on him when he was drafted. I'm not buying that Sheard or Reed wouldn't have fit into the system. Both have proven to be outstanding pass-rushers. Sheard posted 8.5 sacks, and 5 forced fumbles:
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14036/jabaal-sheard
    Reed had 6 sacks: http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13997/brooks-reed 

Again, hindsight is always 20-20. There'll be hits and misses, but so long as the ratio is at or around 50/50, and so long as there are consistently solid FA acquisitions, I don't think we can complain. For every miss there has been a hit, and there have been multiple FA's who have made an impact. I personally think Belichick has been a great GM for us.

RESPONSE: I like BB's draft philosophy, his trades, and, for the most part, his free agent acquisitions. But, he's wasted a lot of high picks on some real stiffs:

1.) 2010: WR Taylor Price, 90th overall pick;

2.) 2009: DT Ron Brace, 40th overall pick; CB Darius Butler, 41st overall pick, ILB Tyrone McKenzie, 97th overall pick;

3.) 2008: CB Terrence Wheatley, 62nd overall pick, OLB Shawn Crable, 78th overall pick, QB Kevin O'Connell, 94th overall pick;

4.) 2007: FS Brandon Meriweather, 24th overall pick;

5.) 2006: RB Laurence Maroney, 21st overall pick, WR Chad Jackson, 36th overall pick, TE David Thomas, 86th overall pick.

Posted by vertigho

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: New and improved BB the GM poll. : I don't buy this one vert. That's the job of the GM, to find players that do get it done.
    Posted by BabeParilli

Agreed, Babe. It's the GM's job to be right...not to pick the most talented guys.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I voted "good" because it's not like we haven't been able to do some damage in the post season. BB does seem to be good at picking guys who want to play together and no one in the league is better at cutting his losses on a bad signing than BB. That matters a lot as mistakes are going to be made. 

Bill's biggest weakness is that he's too much of a rigid "value investor" - he's always trying to buy low by finding scrap heap bargains and post-injury dice rolls. Sometimes you have to pay a premium. The struggles to find certain players, such as good wide receivers and linebackers, also reflect on BB the coach because if the system is so complicated few people can learn it, that's a problem. 

So Babe while you downgrade BB the GM and not the coach I appy a bit more blame to the coaching "systems" as well. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Certainly more options in this one.  I voted and I still maintain he's 'great'.  Please note that 'great' and 'perfect' are not the same and that this is, after all, an opinion poll. 

I will be interested in the outcome.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

I voted "good" because it's not like we haven't been able to do some damage in the post season. BB does seem to be good at picking guys who want to play together and no one in the league is better at cutting his losses on a bad signing than BB.

RESPONSE: That's a good point. BB is better than anybody else at plugging emergency holes due to injury, or underachieving players.  

That matters a lot as mistakes are going to be made.  Bill's biggest weakness is that he's too much of a rigid "value investor" - he's always trying to buy low by finding scrap heap bargains and post-injury dice rolls. Sometimes you have to pay a premium.

RESPONSE: Here we disagree. I love BB's trade down strategy. Unfortunately, he's picked the wrong guys at times...but the opportunities for greater improvement to the team are fostered through this philosophy.
         Nor is BB "rigid". He traded up in 2006 to get Chad Jackson. He traded up slightly to land Rob Gronkowski and Ty Warren. He traded up to get TE Daniel Graham in 2002.     

The struggles to find certain players, such as good wide receivers and linebackers, also reflect on BB the coach because if the system is so complicated few people can learn it, that's a problem.

RESPONSE: Not buying it. WRs Deion Branch, David Givens, Jabar Gaffney, Wes Welker, and Randy Moss had no trouble picking up "the system". Only the washed up Chad Ochocinco and Joey Galloway did. TEs Gronk and Hernandez never had problems picking up the system. LBs Jerod Mayo and Brandon Spikes have fit in nicely in the system.     

So Babe while you downgrade BB the GM and not the coach I appy a bit more blame to the coaching "systems" as well. 
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

I voted average. I think he only has the title of GM but does not operate as one, instead more as a coach whem choosing his players. BB likes to be challenge, he picks more projects type players than " sure thing-cant-miss-prospects " who will let themselfs be coached by him and buy into his system without any selfishness. Those players will work their butts off without questioning his demands, give their 100% effort on the field, leave their heart out there on everyplay* because they all have something to prove, and care less about their rise to stardom). But I think BB the GM goes by what the scouts tells him more often than not, so I could put some blame there as well on the hits and misses. But as a coach who gets the best out of all his players, talented or not, he's excellent.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

In Response to Re: New and improved BB the GM poll. :
    Posted by TexasPat3

Tyron is the only player to have had some success after his departure from NE.
    from a very long list of misses/cuts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

I voted Above Average because although there have been failures in Drafting, as GM he must be also held responsible for managing the Salary Cap for which the Patriots have done a great job.  

With very few exceptions they rarely overpay players ie; Raiders, Redskins, Eagles etc.  But back to the weak spot which is drafting, BB tends to always leave many options open while shuffling the deck with Draft Picks. Unfortunately the execution during the draft selection process hasn't been great.  However, he has a built in Fudge Factor with this problem because of his ability to get a lot out of marginal players.  

So managing the cap, the number of draft picks and his fudge factor (coaching ability) are for the most part able to over come the failures within the actual draft selection. 

Although the execution of drafting Brady in the 6th Round wasn't too shabby.   :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

I put above average. His value approach certainly found value in Gronk and Hernandez. Last year's draft was underwhelming for me.

My dissapointment with BB is that he spent on Brandon Lloyd instead of spending on a defensive player instead.

The offense next season looks like its been upgraded of course OL snafus can happen.

The defense looks like the SOS again this year and it would appear there's no money for a big splash. I'm not sure why they're clearing cap space except that they might be looking to sign Welker.

No one talks about the 4-3 vs the 3-4 but that isn't some trivial change of alignment; those are specific defenses that require special skill sets. If they stick with the 4-3 then they need a DE which doesn't look like its happening; if they go to the 3-4 they need an OLB who's strong off the edge and they're even rarer.

No matter what happens in the draft this team better score a lot next year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

He's a great coach, but I voted that he was a good GM.  Fact is, we are Super Bowl contenders every year, and the GM plays a big role in that.  That being said, BB struck out swinging on three straight drafts (2006-2008, though we did come away with Mayo and Slater), with the 2009 class starting to fizzle out.  For a period of time his work in FA was a little shaky too (Thomas, Springs, F. Taylor, C. Baker etc).

That being said, he has done well in the past couple drafts (Gronk, Spikes, Hernandez, Mesko, Deaderick, Solder, Ridley), and has always been good at bringing in underrated players who play surprisingly well (Ninkovich, Anderson, Carter, S. Moore etc). To become great, he'll need to improve the success rate in the draft, and keep up the good work in Free Agency.  For an "A" grade this offseason, he still needs to address the secondary and improve the pass rush.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

It's tough to evaluate these GMs in my opinion. I just think the whole thing is too based upon luck/chance. An injury can ruin a guy picking the players and that's a shame really, because he has no control over so and so top 10 pick blowing out his knee five minutes into his first practice. Bobby Grier had a two year run where he was considered pretty darn good in league circles, then he turned into a laughing stock.

Pioli is a guy that never played a down of professional football (or coached it), but some good drafts, coupled with Bill Belichick transformed into a multi million dollar NFL power broker. For all that has gone right for Pioli, if his team doesn't start winning soon he could end up like Grier if BB doesn't catch him on his way down.

Then you get some teams that hold onto players that were drafted based out of need and fear, not so much because the guy actually is a good player, but because there's no one else to replace him or the GM wants the coach to keep playing him. It's happened here lately (more out of need, because Bill answers to no one).

I'd rank Bill somewhere in the good category, although the last 5 years have been average at best...probably to just bad luck. Bill has the luxury of having the best coach and QB in the business helping his GM's resume. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

I voted good because BB as a GM and coach does get them in the playoffs every year and he does fill in the roster with depth through free agency. But he would be great if the draft misses didn't happen. As mentioned by Greg Bedard in yesterday's Sunday Football Notes, the Patriots were busy filling in their secondary players when everyone else was focused on the high priced free agents. So if some of the misses had worked out we could have focused more on the defense. We can't help wonder if they had drafted the right players where they might be and how many Super Bowls they might have won. Easy for us to say because we don't have to worry about the cap and everything else that goes into it.

On the bright side as Babe mentioned is that this year BB might change his drafting strategy because of the Rookie Salary Scale. Years past he would trade out and one can't help but think this and the value system he uses has caused some of the misses. It will be interesting to see how this years draft turns out.

Here's a link to Bedard's article:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2012/03/25/in_depth_assessments_of_new_depth_players_for_the_patriots/

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

There needs to be some clarification. Are we rating him compared to perfect or are we rating him compared to his peers?

Compared to perfect, he is average at best. Compared to his peers, he is great.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: New and improved BB the GM poll. : Glad this works out better for you z. I still went with average. My reasoning is as follows: I don't feel it is easy to stand out as great or terrible in this much like most things that humans do with their brain. Similar to human intelligence in general (IQ) it is a bell curve with extreme deviations being relatively rare and diminishing in frequency. He is not encumbered with trying to find the elite QB. There are really only a half dozen teams that do not have to continually drain resources searching for that costly piece. Despite drafting lower because of winning records, that has not hurt him much. The rookie costs before the wage scale actually hurt the poor teams badly as they were paying huge cap bucks to guys that all too often were not worth it. With the new scale BB's penalty in that will be much greater from here on. All the more reason to get it done while Brady is around. When he has hit he has done pretty well. But his misses have too often been bad misses. Many high picks have been spent on guys that were sooo bad. If not for that I could up it to above average or more. His high profile FA signings have been too spotty as well. It is nearly compulsory that if you spend relatively big cap resources on a FA they must be a hit. I believe his misses have prompted him to concentrate on larger numbers of less costly FAs so the impact of a blunder is less obvious and the chances of one of them excelling are still viable. In this he can spend the same money, just on more guys, and any busts don't have the negative impact they would otherwise and also do not make him look bad. Another edge he has that doesn't have anything to do with his GM skills is that he knows as a coach when a guy just doesn't have it. Nobody will be getting a lot out of someone coach BB tells GM BB is no longer worth it. With another GM his weight as a coach on that kind of decision might be overruled on occasion. Bottom line: If an average GM came in and replaced him I think the results would be very similar. That GM would still have him as a coach and Brady as a QB. It would be kind of hard to screw that up unless you were terrible as a GM.
    Posted by BabeParilli

See I would disagree that his releases aren't GM related. They are, simply because coaches cannot release players. It's him acting in that capacity. 

I would also add, he is a shrewd contract negotiator, rarely ever getting saddled with him priced stiffs. 

And he is (in my mind) the best in the NFL at sifting through FA pools and getting value. 

Anyone can spend the house on big names (Buffalo, over and over again) but BB always finds ways to fill his roster.

I do find fault in his failures at some draft spots, but I try to keep in perspective his overall draft strategy ... BB takes MORE picks over less, rolling the dice on a couple seconds or a couple thirds over a first. 

This really colors his draft performance, because he does have some cuts, but is also making more, lower selections than almost anyone. 

People point to Brace and Butler, for instance, and it would seem like he just whiffed .... but he also maneveured two picks into four, picking up Chung and Vollmer on the back swing. 

I really don't think too many people did much better than Chung and Vollmer in the first and second that year. 

That, to me, is good GM-ing. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I really can NOT see how anyone can objectively say he is only average. I say this because, while he has missed on several draft picks he has also made many great ones, has done a generally good job with FAs and trades. He has done a GREAT job with the cap - best in the league that way.  He puts together teams that are at or near the top of the league in record essentially every year. He has put together teams that have been to FIVE SBs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He has put together teams that have won 3 SBs!!!

For each mistake you list you can list good moves. Better than meaningless lists how about evaluating the whole team. Superior O line - where it all starts on O. Great QB. Decent RBs - and if Vereen pans out maybe very good RBs. Best TE group in the history of the game. Great slot WR. With Lloyd a pretty good other WR starting. Depth ALLLL around on O. A solid core in the center of the D with Vinny, Mayo, Spikes and Chung. A handful of other decent players on the D. Good K. Good cover teams. Youth...

They just barely missed winning the SB and have already made signifcant improvements and have not even yet used their 4 picks in the first 2 rounds. THey have plenty of cap space.

So it you look at record, at playoff record, at SBs or simply at the roster over the years, BB has gathered together a whole heck of a lot of talent - and he has regularly done a superlative job with the cap. And don't sell that short in the cap era.

Has he missed on some picks. Of course. But where he has missed he has found ways to make up for it with talent elsewhere - including hitting on later draft picks. And he has done this while always starting with late draft slots.

So go ahead and list this bad pick or that one but how about ALL the other players he has accumulated over the years in order to put together teams that always are at or near the top of the league. Who else has done that? No one like him in the cap era that is for sure.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Who else has done that?
    Posted by portfolio1

Who else has Brady?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I voted "good" because it's not like we haven't been able to do some damage in the post season. BB does seem to be good at picking guys who want to play together and no one in the league is better at cutting his losses on a bad signing than BB. That matters a lot as mistakes are going to be made.  Bill's biggest weakness is that he's too much of a rigid "value investor" - he's always trying to buy low by finding scrap heap bargains and post-injury dice rolls. Sometimes you have to pay a premium. The struggles to find certain players, such as good wide receivers and linebackers, also reflect on BB the coach because if the system is so complicated few people can learn it, that's a problem.  So Babe while you downgrade BB the GM and not the coach I appy a bit more blame to the coaching "systems" as well. 
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

My theory on his buying low has been that if he signs 3 guys low instead of putting that all into one higher guy, any fail is much less noticeable. No GM wants to put big bucks into a guy that doesn't deliver; it looks very bad. I think he also believes if he signs 3 there is a better chance at least one of them works out great. It's not putting all your eggs in one basket. There are a couple ways that works out better than rolling the dice on a bigger name signing. I think in this he is playing it safe. But if you want the big play guys you have to roll the dice and pay the money.

So, I agree his system is suspect to an extent. Especially the "scouting" system. Also, your coaches make a difference. It is not surprising to me that we seem to draft well for OL when a keen eye like Scarneccia is in our system.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

There needs to be some clarification. Are we rating him compared to perfect or are we rating him compared to his peers? Compared to perfect, he is average at best. Compared to his peers, he is great.
    Posted by digger0862

I would say he is being rated compared to what we have seen historically. If he's great he needs to be among the great GMs. If he's average he needs does as well as what most GMs have done.

Sections
Shortcuts