New England Defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Re: New England Defense

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Did you watch the game? Did you see the penalties that kept drives going? If you think that was a stellar preformance from our D then wait till we play Atlanta or a good team. Not the Bills.

The Pats had 26 1st downs. 1 on a penalty.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Every win will be critical this year. So even week one will be as important as week seventeen.

Yes it's a win and you take it. But with a new offense this year our D needs to be the MVP this year.

They got a way to go....the sky is not falling but the truth shall be self evident, and yes...sometimes the truth is easier to deny than to confront it.

This D needs to get better.

On to the Jets.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I thought the D was generally pretty good today.  Yes, there were a few breakdowns, but they're still working out the kinks this early in the season.  I think the pass coverage was generally good.  Dennard was good . . . and much maligned Gregory even made some decent plays.  McCourty made at least one great stick in run defense.  Didn't see a lot of Talib . . . not sure that was because he was mostly shutting down his man or because he wasn't making plays . . . will need to see film.  Thought the LBs were good.  Mayo and Hightower, in particular, both made some nice plays.  Like Wilfork and Kelly, and Vellano held his own rotating in for those guys.  Thought Jones and Nink were both solid, though would have liked more pass rush from them.  Buchanan played well as a back up.  

Not sure yet how tough a test this was, but generally I think you have to be pleased by what was mostly a promising performance. 

Almost forgot:  Arrington had a really nice game too. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I'm not.  The bills shot their own feet with penalties.  As much as I hate to say this, the bills should have won. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

Because our offense didnt leave a ton of points on the field? The Bills Defense had most of the teams penalties, not their offense. The Pats D had a good game.

[/QUOTE]

They had 0 sacks and 0 ints. crown us the #1 D then. they  gave up 136 yards rushing. The Bills had 10 penalties and some timely ones. If the Bills had half those penalties they would have got the ball back more.

I'm happy with the win but I feel if we had played a better team it could have been ugly. We won by 2, not 30, to the Bills with a rookie QB in his first start coming off injury.

[/QUOTE]
    so true. This bills offense is not good. Bottom tier level stuff. I would not get excited over this performance. It speaks to how bad our specs are of which to compare. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

No complaints.  It's easy to look at the stats and say that they should have limited this or that or the rookie qb shouldn't have whatever.

The defense gave up 14 points.

Good day.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'll take whatever we gave up in points to them (14 or so)...not bad. On the flip side Buffalo is terrible, they have next to nothing to worry about, but a year ago they might of put up 35 on us...so it's an improvement. If that is all we got in the pass rush department it's going to be a long season, but I'm willing to bet we will improve. We will have to do something at the defensive tackle spot - there's no way we can just roll out Wilfork and Kelly like that, over and over again - they will wear out or be injured by October.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I'll take whatever we gave up in points to them (14 or so)...not bad. On the flip side Buffalo is terrible, they have next to nothing to worry about, but a year ago they might of put up 35 on us...so it's an improvement. If that is all we got in the pass rush department it's going to be a long season, but I'm willing to bet we will improve. We will have to do something at the defensive tackle spot - there's no way we can just roll out Wilfork and Kelly like that, over and over again - they will wear out or be injured by October.

agree with this. Manuael missed some wide open receivers. I'll take this for the first game but if we dome improve it will be a long season.

Mthurl get your pick in the knock out pool if your playing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

The rookie just put up a 105 on them in his first NFL start. I don't think they hand out awards for that kind of performance.

What are you talking about?

A 105 passer rating.

You have to look at context and circumstance. All-in-all, New England's defense played well and got stops late in the game when they were most needed.

I'm all for getting stops at the end against a rookie you let embarrass you earlier in the game. Our D isn't known for coming up big late in games for some time now, so that is a positive.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to GusMooney's comment:

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to zbellino's comment:

[QUOTE]

21 points is decent against Buffalo. 

We need to see what Buffalo's "fast" offense turns into this season before we can judge this performance. 

That said ... when the game was on the line, they did stop them. That is a good thing. 

When the game was on the line ... everyone stepped up on both sides of the ball. 

Z, the defense gave up 14 points.  7 of the 21 points came on the fumble recovery that lead to a TD run.  Also, just to note, 7 of those 14 points given up came on a 30 yard field.  The D played well.  I would like to see some more pressure brought but they still played well.

3rd down defense was especially notable.  That's a fresh breath of air compared to last year's putrid 3rd down defense.

[/QUOTE]

3rd down D was much improved from the year before. Looks to be vastly improved this year.

D overall quite good for Buffalo's SB in September and seeing them absorb those turnovers and momentum shifts like that, courtesy of our offense.

[/QUOTE]

They were AGAIN ranked near the bottom on 1st downs last year.  AGAIN  3 years running.

That's BB's great blown up offense your talking about.  Back in the weeds for BB.

Mean while Anguan Bolden just made a great SF team better. 

Back in the weeds BB.  Back in the weeds.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

I don't get why some fans are not happy?

Could be because the Bills suck, have a rookie QB and nearly sent us home 0-1.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to GusMooney's comment:

3rd down D was much improved from the year before. Looks to be vastly improved this year.

Yes, for one game against the Bills who played a rookie QB that has been out the last 2-3 weeks.  Thank goodness for Stevie Johnsons drop otherwise it could have been nightmare city for us right now.  Vastly improved this year.  Hahahahaha! 

I think they should be during the season, can't get much worse then they were the past few years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I heard today on 98.5 that the Pats 3rd down defense was unsuccessful 47% of the time, putting them 31st in the league in that department. 

Honestly, that's pitiful.  Think of the worst team.  Think of the second worst team.  Yeah, the second worst team was better at stopping the 3rd down attempts than the Pats.

Improving on this will make a big difference.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Good - Arrington had a great game, even on the TD pass the Safety help (DMC) wasn't there.

Bad - What was Talib doing on the Other TD??

Ugly - Mayo with the bone head 15 yard Penalty that could of cost us the game. Looked bad in coverage and wiffed big time on a long 1st down run.

Otherwise They did what they had to do to win the game.  Nice Job.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

1.) How do you know Buffalo is terrible? One game has been played so far. Far too premature... we have no idea how good they are or aren't. 

2.) They often rotated Kelly or Wilfork out in favor of Vellano, who held his own. There was a dropoff in performance at times, no doubt, but that's to be expected. Vellano performed about as well as any 2nd-string player at his position could. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

The rookie just put up a 105 on them in his first NFL start. I don't think they hand out awards for that kind of performance.

What are you talking about?

A 105 passer rating.

You have to look at context and circumstance. All-in-all, New England's defense played well and got stops late in the game when they were most needed.

I'm all for getting stops at the end against a rookie you let embarrass you earlier in the game. Our D isn't known for coming up big late in games for some time now, so that is a positive.

Manuel had two TD drives, one of which was on a short field. If this isn't an adequate defensive performance, I don't know what to tell you, Babe.

Hardly an embarrassment. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Ugly - Mayo with the bone head 15 yard Penalty that could of cost us the game. Looked bad in coverage and wiffed big time on a long 1st down run.

Come on man, can you grind that axe any harder, the guy had 15 tackles... six more than the leading Bill's defender and our 2nd best tackler.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Good - Arrington had a great game, even on the TD pass the Safety help (DMC) wasn't there.

Bad - What was Talib doing on the Other TD??

Otherwise They did what they had to do to win the game.  Nice Job.

I thought Mayo looked good. Was in on a number of tackles, seemed to be moving really well. His penalty was borderline; he should've pulled up, but that was a soft call. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cloudyandrain. Show Cloudyandrain's posts

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4748328/patriots-defense-held-its-own

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

agree with this. Manuael missed some wide open receivers. I'll take this for the first game but if we dome improve it will be a long season.

Mthurl get your pick in the knock out pool if your playing

Oh crap, I forgot...it's been a long day.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Maybe upon your return, you could learn how to use the quote box?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Yeah those 14 points and 150 passing yards sure was embarrassing.  Are you high?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Sloppy offense and defense in the first game is somewhat expected with new young players, but all considered, the defense played well, except our old recurring nemesis - no pass rush.  

Lack of any real pass rush, especially from Chandler Jones, is what concerns me most about today.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Come on man, can you grind that axe any harder, the guy had 15 tackles... six more than the leading Bill's defender and our 2nd best tackler.

Be a bit objective here.  His best tackle was still a 3 yard gainer by Spiller.  No stuffs or Tackles for losses.  But come on that Penalty was absolutely unacceptable and like the tool on TampaBay it could have cost us the game.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Be a bit objective here.  His best tackle was still a 3 yard gainer by Spiller.  No stuffs or Tackles for losses.  But come on that Penalty was absolutely unacceptable and like the tool on TampaBay it could have cost us the game.

I don't talk about might have beens, the guy is in on just about every play, he doesn't shy away from contact, our defense played decent and he led the way.  Nobody got a sack, only one tackle for a loss... we have to play better but he isn't the problem.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Don't think either offense or defense will be crowing about this game. Arrington had 2 great strips but got burned deep (nothing new there!) without any safety help. And what what was Talib doing on that out and up? Mayo is a terrific tackler but not one of our linebackers is especially good in coverage. Add to that very little pressure on Manuel and it didn't look to me as if much had changed on defense.

Offensively it was mostly a nightmare with Ridley and Brady fumbling, Suderfeld causing the interception and Blount looking old and slow. Aside from Edleman none of our new receivers seemed to get any separation and it's hard to say whether Amendola can withstand the kind of thumping he's gonna take over the middle. Gotta say I liked what Vareen showed, but in the end it was Brady pulling this game out of the fire. It's a "W" so you have to be happy about that but not because of great performances on either side of the ball.

Forgot about the Ghost. That should be a confidence builder.

Sections
Shortcuts