New England Patriots: Preseason Champions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MWood1. Show MWood1's posts

New England Patriots: Preseason Champions

No doubt, the Pats are lighting it up so far this preseason. Here are some interesting facts about the correlation between preseason performance and regular season success.
    • Since 2000, 31% of the teams that completed an undefeated preseason, went on to complete a winning regular season.
    • Seven teams went from an undefeated preseason to a Super Bowl championship: ’67 Packers, ’69 Chiefs, ’71 Cowboys, ’74 Steelers, ’90 Giants, 00′ Ravens, ’03 Patriots.
    • Since 2000, 67% of the teams that went winless during the preseason, finished the regular season with a losing record.
    • The 1982 Washington Redskins are the only team to win a Super Bowl after going winless in the preseason.
    (ref.)

What are your thoughts? Would you like to see the Patriots go unbeaten through the preseason or not? Does preseason record matter at all? If it does matter, then how much?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: New England Patriots: Preseason Champions

Winning in the preseason is not important.  But, it's better to win than lose. 

More important is how the starters fare, since they don't play a lot the overall outcome means little.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

"Since 2000, 31% of the teams that completed an undefeated preseason, went on to complete a winning regular season."

So you're saying 69% of the teams that had an undefeated preseason, then had a 8-8 or worse record.

Hahaha.

Sounds like proof that preseason is irrelevent.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

we also have the lions who went 4-0 in the preseason and then went 0-16 in the regular season

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Who cares? Its nice to see them play good. But why come out and start a thread like this? Do you want to jinx them?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Mwood1 is likely a Colts or Jets fan.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In Response to Re: New England Patriots: Preseason Champions:
    [QUOTE]Mwood1 is likely a Colts or Jets fan.
    Posted by pats-fan-2007[/QUOTE]

Yeah....First post/first thread.....One of the trolls with multiple personalities

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

I dunno. There's like a 100% correlation that those teams that win all of their post-season games all become superbowl champions. Laughing

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Yes, it is nice to see your team look competitive in the pre-season, but, they are using a whole lot of players that won't even be part of the team come regular season.  So far, the regulars have looked darn good and the choices the team has to make for the subs is going to be interesting.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics12345. Show Celtics12345's posts

You really have to think about the core players, it's all about the Jack Daniels

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Didn't the Pats have one of their worst regular seasons after slopping it up in the pre-season?  It appears to me that a continuation of this style of play can/will lead to a slow start..maybe costing a playoff position.  If yourteam is not firing by game four, don't tell me the pre-season doesn't count.  (The games do not count, however, THE PLAY does.)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

each year is a new seperate entity...obviously there is carry over when you are assembling your team and there has been previous success... but each year your team has to come together and be able to win games..espcially close tough games, or come from bhind games....

so winning in preseason is important to establish doing things right and being successful and "winning"...and bb has always said he would rather win the games than lose them even though he is putting young players in difficult positions to evaluate them...

your stats seem to bear this out

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

mwood, did you know that 0% of teams that play in preseason make the playoffs, but 100% of the teams that win their division go to the playoffs. i find these stats mindblowing. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

well fellahs, we all know exactly what preseason means to BB. a chance to check out his team and see what works and what may not. however, that said, it was suggested that while on the plane ride back from tampa someone noticed what appeared to be a slight smile coming from the coaches face as he gazed out of his window. we all see him on the podium after games. He is the greatest head coach in the entire NFL and his defense is going to be unbelieveable. hell, we could win a game 60-0 and he will still say that we could have done some things better. preseason? naw, Coach Bill will down play it as is his MO. but after demolishing the bucks this past thurs he is quite pleased inside without anybody knowing it.
    I hope Danny Woodhead is ok.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

60% of the time it works every time...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

I believe I speak for every single sane NE Patriot Fan-(first time I ever made that claim)-when I say: I Really, REALLY hope that The Patriots lose this final preseason game.  Not by 35 points, or something absurd like that...Just a simple 21-14 Patriots loss, will suit me, just fine thanx. 

Call it superstition, or call it just plain old common f#ck!ng sense...I want my team beginning the Regular Season:

Hungry & Humble, Believing they have something to prove & Believing they have something to certainly improve upon, Not having a target on their back by being viewed early on as THE team to beat & Not having a monkey on their back by starting Regular Season game #A1 with already a 3 game "win-streak" & without remembering & tasting yet in recent memory (i.e. this season), exactly what it's like to lose (even if it's preseason, or any type of contest-What-ever)...

Show me a football fan, that's happy & elated when their Team wins EVERY single preseason game seemingly at ease, And I'll Show you a fan that follows a football franchise, that far more often than not, Isn't a team that makes the playoffs.

also, a minor- 
    of note:  A small part of me crazy as it is, Is afraid to even make mention of this, but here goes...  THAT same small part of me, believes that after the b#llsh#t of this offseason, AND That with the further garbage Roger Goodell 7 The NFL League Offices either tinkering with the Game altogether or simply micro-managing every single play & player, AND That with all that spare time for a Coach to hopefully come up with a trully well-devised plan of action for his team (in ALL respects, draft, free agents, new schemes, etc), AND That with Bill Belichick approaching 60 years of age or something, AND That with Tom Brady approaching or at 35 years of age or so, AND knowing that there might be even just 1 small aspect of some sorta "destiny unfulfilled" from 2007, coupled with 1 inkling of "We ARE, and We CAN BE, That GOOD," and finally coupled with the notion that If ANY Coach on planet earth believes HE CAN, Coach Bill Belichick is that guy with enough skill, and possibly hubris to...
    actually,
    maybe,
    possibly think...
    Of...well- attempting the unthinkable (and you know what)....and subsequently, takin' a less stressful overall managing backseat to Foxboro affairs, as Tom & Gisele go to Hollywood (or whatever).

Do I WANT this?
    No, not really...but it'd make for a wild ride down in 2011-12.      

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: New England Patriots: Preseason Champions:
    [QUOTE]I believe I speak for every single sane NE Patriot Fan-(first time I ever made that claim)-when I say: I Really, REALLY hope that The Patriots lose this final preseason game.  Not by 35 points, or something absurd like that...Just a simple 21-14 Patriots loss, will suit me, just fine thanx.  Call it superstition, or call it just plain old common f#ck!ng sense...I want my team beginning the Regular Season:      Hungry & Humble, Believing they have something to prove & Believing they have something to certainly improve upon, Not having a target on their back by being viewed early on as THE team to beat & Not having a monkey on their back by starting Regular Season game #A1 with already a 3 game "win-streak" & without remembering & tasting yet in recent memory (i.e. this season), exactly what it's like to lose (even if it's preseason, or any type of contest-What-ever)... Show me a football fan, that's happy & elated when their Team wins EVERY single preseason game seemingly at ease, And I'll Show you a fan that follows a football franchise, that far more often than not, Isn't a team that makes the playoffs. also, a minor-  of note :  A small part of me crazy as it is, Is afraid to even make mention of this, but here goes...  THAT same small part of me, believes that after the b#llsh#t of this offseason, AND That with the further garbage Roger Goodell 7 The NFL League Offices either tinkering with the Game altogether or simply micro-managing every single play & player, AND That with all that spare time for a Coach to hopefully come up with a trully well-devised plan of action for his team (in ALL respects, draft, free agents, new schemes, etc), AND That with Bill Belichick approaching 60 years of age or something, AND That with Tom Brady approaching or at 35 years of age or so, AND knowing that there might be even just 1 small aspect of some sorta "destiny unfulfilled" from 2007, coupled with 1 inkling of "We ARE, and We CAN BE, That GOOD," and finally coupled with the notion that If ANY Coach on planet earth believes HE CAN, Coach Bill Belichick is that guy with enough skill, and possibly hubris to... actually, maybe, possibly think... Of...well- attempting the unthinkable (and you know what)....and subsequently, takin' a less stressful overall managing backseat to Foxboro affairs, as Tom & Gisele go to Hollywood (or whatever). Do I WANT this? No, not really...but it'd make for a wild ride down in 2011-12.      
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

I think a loss would be a good way of serving humble pie before games count...lol.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Unsubscribe.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Obviously, everyone knows preseason results are meaningless, but that is not the same thing as saying how you perform is meaningless. It's common knowledge, for instance, that the Indy Colts routinely look inept in the exhibition (Yeah . . .   I said it) season, however, that ineptitude has rarely carried over into the season . . .  at least not very long into the season. If I remember correctly, the Detroit Lions team that set a record for single-season futility were undefeated in the preseason. Of course those things don't matter, but what does matter is how your team handles specific matchups and situations.

There's another thread on here somewhere about a certain Tampon Bay Bucaneer citing a "vanilla scheme" for his team's ineptitude against the Pats Thursday night. That, right there, is a guy who doesn't understand what preseason is for. The Bucs got manhandled in one-on-one matchups in that game and it had virtually nothing to do with scheming (which few teams do much of at this point in the warm-ups).

If you go out and address your areas of concern to your satisfaction, and get your key players the reps they need while also getting a good look at your bubble guys . . .  well, then it doesn't matter what the final score is.

But if you ignore the final score as it relates to what you were trying (or hoping) to accomplish, then you might not be seeing what is right in front of you, which is just a nice way of saying you're wasting your time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I believe that BB orders people to throw away at least one or two plays every single preseason.  If losing meaningless games is better for the meaningful games than winning the meaningless games, then by all means crank up the cheerleaders:  L!   O!   S!   E!  LOSE! LOSE! LOSE!

The win-loss records of people that are going to be cut from the team isn't that meaningful.  If you know that you're going to be cut tomorrow, why not go for the interception and save your job?  A sample size of 4 games, straight up w-l, isn't that meaningful even if the first teams play the whole game, never mind all the stunts the coaches are pulling.  Do they go for it on 4th and 18?  Was Brian Hoyer put on the field at a random time? 

That said, New England's second teams just ran over Jacksonville's first teams, and Tampa Bay's first teams didn't look like anything better than road kill.  That's the significant part.  New England's first teams demolished New Orleans and a bunch of other first teams last preseason, and that meant a lot to me.  Before game one vs. Cincinnati I was ragging all over Cincy, and I was right. 

(note:  the Panthers were awful last year and they just installed a rookie QB, so that I have no preseason idea whether Miami is any good or not at this point)