New England Patriots - State of The Union

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Re: New England Patriots - State of The Union

At the risk of committing sacrilege, I have to pick a nit with that statement.

If your defense is accustomed to freely giving up yards, then what is the likelyhood that it can make a big 3rd down stop at a crucial juncture of a game?

If there is no emphasis on limiting yards, then how is a defense supposed to prevent an opponent from driving down the field for a game altering field goal?

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

From Damian Woody in an ESPN article today:

"Coach [Bill] Belichick always used to say, 'I don't give a s--- about our defense giving up yards; all I care about is scoring defense, turnovers and the red zone,'" Woody said. "That's really the key to football. A lot of coaches pound their chest and say, 'I've got the No. 1 defense.'

"That number doesn't mean anything."

[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

"Coach [Bill] Belichick always used to say, 'I don't give a s--- about our defense giving up yards; all I care about is scoring defense, turnovers and the red zone,'" Woody said. "That's really the key to football. A lot of coaches pound their chest and say, 'I've got the No. 1 defense.'

Bend don't break.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If your defense is accustomed to freely giving up yards, then what is the likelyhood that it can make a big 3rd down stop at a crucial juncture of a game?

If there is no emphasis on limiting yards, then how is a defense supposed to prevent an opponent from driving down the field for a game altering field goal?

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's right shows that the stats of yards given up doesn't mean anything. Last year the defense was 14th in points allowed, better than more than half of the teams. Last I checked games were decided by points scored vs points against. Yards mean absolutely nothing. Belichick only cares about points and wants teams to have to drive with several plays to score, then tighten up in the red zone.  Fgs don't beat a team that has the top ranked offense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]

Bend don't break.

[/QUOTE]

The Patriots are below good in takeaways (3rd in the NFL), slightly above average in points (12th) and slightly below average in red zone defense (19th). Hard to say that is anything but an average defense at best. 

Even measuring what Woody said is important to BB, this team is still not a anywhere near a top defense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's right shows that the stats of yards given up doesn't mean anything. Last year the defense was 14th in points allowed, better than more than half of the teams. Last I checked games were decided by points scored vs points against. Yards mean absolutely nothing. Belichick only cares about points and wants teams to have to drive with several plays to score, then tighten up in the red zone.  Fgs don't beat a team that has the top ranked offense.

[/QUOTE]

And when it came down to it, they lost to a team that gave up an average of 2 points more than them and scored an average of 7 points less than them...

The problem with these stats is they are averages. It is clear that good defenses have been able to slow down the Patriots offense and despite having below average offenses they were able to score enough points to win off the Patriots alleged bend but down break defense.

Second, will people stop pretending that the Patriots are some sort of shut down defense in the Red Zone. I have no idea why people think that. They are 19th in terms of Red Zone defense. 19th means that more than half of the league is better than you... therefore the Patriots are below average in the Red Zone.

They are have the 4th fewest FG attempts against. The do not hold teams to FGs... People keep saying it, but it is simply NOT TRUE! 

Combine that with the fact that the Patriots have allowed 10 TDs of 20 yards or longer this year. That means an average of more than once a game the other scores a touchdown with entering the red zone. The Pats high powered offense has managed to 4 TDs of 20 or more yards (or once every two games).  Even if they did have a good Red Zone D (which the numbers say they do not), what difference does it make if you keep letting teams score TDs from outside the Red Zone.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

The defensive secondary is the achillies ankle of this team. A few more key pass defenses and the Pats could easily be 7-1 or undefeated. A grade of D- is all they are worthy of. This offseason has got to be spent either acquiring top secondary free agents or blow another high draft pick on a decent cover guy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

In response to LittleTimmy31's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The defensive secondary is the achillies ankle of this team. A few more key pass defenses and the Pats could easily be 7-1 or undefeated. A grade of D- is all they are worthy of. This offseason has got to be spent either acquiring top secondary free agents or blow another high draft pick on a decent cover guy.

[/QUOTE]

As much as I've bashed the secondary on here I don't think they can take all the blame. The coaching/scheme has been a sore spot and has not given these guys the proper preparation they need.

Also the offense whether it be execution or playcalling has stalled at key points in all of our losses. This is supposed to be the strength of this team so we don't expect it. I am nitpicking but I don't think it's fair to blame the defense solely for these losses..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

In response to HOTBLITZ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

This year's defense is ranked even further down the list in sacks than last year's team at this point, blaming only the secondary for the defensive woes is simply wrong.  Yeah Jones may look individually impressive but that's about it.

It's funny how we roll out more three man fronts against the Rams; get 2 sacks, 2 INT's and 2 fumbles, Bradford only throws for 244 yards and the Rams only score 7 points but the secondary gets zero kudos?  When the front plays well, the secondary looks good.

The good news is that we're ranked 12th in points allowed and rank #1 in turnovers which is better than where we ended last year and they seem to be improving.  

It's short sighted to blame the secondary for decisions made by Belichick to run soft cover two zones.  Yes they've given up big plays they shouldn't have, but more often because nobody is getting any pressure up front and if you give even an average NFL QB all day to throw they will make plays.

[/QUOTE]

That is a fair arguement and I do believe in part your right but it can't all be scheme and coaching when it comes to the amount of 30+ yard completions they've given up.

The front 7 is beastly so I have to blame the secondary some.

[/QUOTE]

The  consensus  opinion  of  our  fans  seems  to  be  our  front  7  is  "beastly."  I  don't  see  our  front  7  as  anything  but  just  above  average.  I  agree  with  Wozzy's  post  that  the  secondary  gets  all  the  blame  when  they  shouldn't.  Our  secondary  is  terrible  but  our  front  7  doesn't  consistently  pressure  the  QB.  PATS  fans  are  so  accustomed  to  seeing  underperforming  D's.  I  think  the  bar  is  quite  low.  If  the  front  7  consistently  pressured  the  QB, maybe  I  would  consider  terming  them  "beastly."  The  problem  may  be  BB's  schemes  and  lack  of  blitzing. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

Midway point, bye week and time to regroup and get healthy....

Our beloved Pats are a respectable 5-3. Maybe not where most thought they'd be or predicted at the beginning of the year but I for one think these close games are absolute character builders.

RESPONSE: Sorry...can't agree that a 5-3 record is "respectable" for a team with the talent that the 2012 Patriots have.  A 5-3 record for the Pats represents underachievement. There's simply no excuse for losing to both Arizona and Seattle. A 6-2 record would be respectable.   

A quick grade from my perspective on each position...

QB'S - B+

I believe although there have been many bright spots in TB12's play and lots of flashes as to who we all know he is and can be he has definitely got to find a way down the stretch in games to bring that killer instinct back to his arsenal. The Jet's game was a nice couple of drives at the end of regulation and overtime to put me at ease a bit and realize he does still have it in him.

Tom Brady 209/320 2,408 yards, 65% 16td 3int 100.6 qbr...

Pretty impressive by the numbers and maybe I graded a little low but to me I want to see him find a way to get those tough first downs late in games. All in all very nice statistics and a solid first half to build on.

RESPONSE: Actually, I think you're bring too generous. Sure, Tom is coming off an A+ game against St. Louis. But, prior to that, there was that mediocre performance against the Jets, a poor performance in Seattle, and another mediocre performance against the Cardinals. Tom has played poorly in the 4th quarter of the three Pats' losses this season. 

GRADE: B-; 

RB'S - A-

Love the production this year. I really don't have any complaints here. Everyone seems to fill a role nicely with Ridley kind of taking a lead role and probably alot more Vereen in the second half as opposed to the first 8.

Stevan Ridley 150 carries, 716 yrds, 4.8 per, 5 td's

Brandon Bolden  43, 214, 5.4, 2 td's

Danny Woodhead 48, 164, 3.4, 1 td

Shane Vereen 17, 72, 4.2, 2 td's

Like I said this area is a big positive this year. The only reason a higher grade wasn't given is because against the stout defensive teams we can't seem to pound it or just line up when the game is in crunch time and be able to run it down our opponent's throat. I don't think this team will ever be that way as we seem to use the pass to set up the run which in turn sets up playaction as opposed to just run, run, run to set up the passing game. That however is nitpicking. Two thumbs up for this group in my opinion.

RESPONSE: We agree here. Lots was made about that late Ridley fumble against Denver. But, I felt that BB over-used him in that game...as he fumbled on something like his 32nd carry. Too many. Otherwise. the Rid-Man has been one of the few Pats to play above expectations, thus far. If he can ever get healthy over aa stretch of games, Shane Vereen is going to be productive. Danny Woodhead does a decent impersonation of Kevin Faulk.

GRADE: A-

Oline - B+

Nate Solder has done extremely well in filling in some big shoes. He continues to progess and when it's all said and done Brady will have had his blind side protected by two probowlers over the course of his career. Some may say that grade is too high but in my opinion given all the injuries this group has sustained over the course of 8 games I feel with all the shuffling constantly that they've done quite well. Is it just me or is Logan Mankins expendable? I don't think they miss him all that much and it seems just from my viewpoint that they've run the ball better when he's out. Connolly, Wendell, Thomas all coming along thanks to having the best Oline coach in the business. Last but not least I wasn't expecting it but Seabass has been healthy and effective which is awesome for this team, almost vital. Let's hope this unit gets healthy and gains some continuity and can finish even better then it started.

WR's + TE'S - B+

RESPONSE: Nate Solder was terrible early on, but has seemingly improved with each passing week...as he gains both experience and confidence. The key to the OL is RT Sebastien Vollmer. When he's healthy, he's a pro-bowl caliber tackle. Ryan Wendell has played better than expected. Mankins is playing in pain, on a bad knee. He came back too soon. Connelly and/or Thomas appear to be the weakest links. Nonethelesss, they have by and large been okay. Since their collectively poor performance against Arizona, the OL has gotten progressively better. 

GRADE: B;   

WR's + TE'S - B+

No one can expect the Gronk to have the same season as last year. However although beat up he has produced and been vital to this offense and is on pace for another probowl year. Folks if this continues we could be witnessing the best tight end in history not even hit his prime yet. SCARY. The YAC Man A. Hernandez has been crippled with a high ankle sprain throughout most of the season so far but the bye should help greatly and with him back 100% which he hasn't been this offense can only get better, which also is very scary.

Once again TB's binkie WW is the man. You know there's a part of me that says I wish BB would go against his better judgement and pay the man whatever it takes. God love Wes. I know I do. He's incredible, durable, dependable and once again the best slot receiver in the league (Percy Harvin may have something to say about that). What more to say about him? Amen. B Lloyd has been controversial among this board from what I can tell. I've gone against popular opinion and said/posted he is what I've wanted him to be and what Ocho couldn't be. Aside from a few drops I believe he's been good and will totally hit his stride down the stretch. Branch, Edelman, Fells, and now maybe Shiancoe aren't a bad supporting cast and anything we get out of those guys would be a nice bonus...

W. Welker 60 rec, 736 yrds, 12.3 per, 2 td's

R. Gronkowski 43, 580, 13.5, 7 td's

B. Lloyd 37, 435, 11.8, 3 td's

D. Woodhead 19, 200, 10.5, 1 td

A. Hernandez 17, 143, 8.4, 2 td's

J. Edelman 13, 100, 7.7, 1 td

The rest are under 10 catches and a bonus for whatever we get out of them receiving. If the yac man gets healthy and productive this unit will continue to boatrace the rest of the league. Two thumbs up here.

RESPONSE: Gronk finally started playing like the Gronk of 2011, last season. He had been slowed all season by a hip injury. Ditto Hernandez, who was off to a good start before suffering an ankle injury. Josh McDaniels foolishly went away from Wes Welker early, and it might have cost the Pats a game. Brandon Lloyd appears to be settling into his role:

GRADE: B 

Dline - A-

Again this unit is led by our leader on D big Vince. I personally like this unit. I don't think the fact there is not always pressure is their fault. BB aside from the Rams game refused to bring more then a 4man rush which is tough on any line. Chandler Jones is the man is in line for DROY in my opinion. Let's hope he doesn''t hit that rookie wall cause we are going to need him big time down the stretch. I love his array of moves and if the zebra's called any holding on opposing teams this unit would get much more credit then it does. Perhaps most improved player on the entire roster has to be Rob Ninkovich. This guy does it all and is more then servicable. I felt early in the year when he was at end he wasn't doing much but I'll eat some crow caue this guy is producing.

C. Jones 33 tackles, 6 sacks, 3 ff,

R. Ninkovich 27, 4, 4

V. Wilfork 22, 0, 0

J. Cunningham 14, 1.5, 0

K. Love 18, 1.5, 0

Againn this unit can only get better. When I look I only see upside and thats without the rose coloured glasses. Good Job boys..

RESPONSE: The good news is that the D-line is stopping the run. The bad news is that it is not applying ample pressure with a three or four man rush. But, only the great defenses do that. The Pats need to take more chances, by mixing in a occasional blitz or three, as they did with success against the Rams.

GRADE: B;  

LB'S - B

On paper this unit is as stout as it gets around the league. Verse the run they deserve an A maybe even A+. However verse the pass I would give them a C and I think that's fair. B. Spikes is the man at shooting the gap. I love the way he hits and he totally has a knack for making big plays. Dude is a top 3 ILB in the Afc. However he is not good at all against the pass. In fact I would say he is a Liability. I wish BB would put Mayo and either Nink or Donta in nickel packages but if you watch Spikes is often in there in thos situations and all 3 downs. I own 2 different J. Mayo jerseys so ya I'm a little biased there. I think everyone know's who he is by now. A tackling machine, dependable, serviceable in coverage and every now and then can make a big play. Love the move to outside and think he should blitz more. Donta looks promising and I think he will be a serious gamer. The book is still out but to me he definitely passes the eye test. His speed is unreal when you consider how big he looks.

J. Mayo 79 tackles, 1 sack, 3 ff

B. Spikes 50, 1, 3

D. Hightower 25, 2, 0

This unit is young, ferocious and the heartbeat of this D. Let's hope for the consistent progression into becoming the dominant force we all envision. I mean let's face it, if these three guys max out on their potential we could be looking at something really special. Ravenesque when they had Ray, Sharper, Boulware. I don't think I'm overstating. While Spikes will never be Ray the other two have a chance at being better then the ravens other two. Certainly top three in the league right now in my opinion.

RESPONSE: Here, we agree. Though there are some issues in coverage, and I'd like to see more blitzing, the Pats' LB corp appears to be improved over last years' group. ILB Dane Fletcher was a solid reserve, and is missed. Injury to Dont'a Hightower appears to have stunted the creativity and flexibility of this unit:

GRADE: B

Secondary - C-

I think that grade is accurate. I may get ripped for it but this is the weakest unit on the team. Between Injuries and ineptitude this group is in constant flux and can't get any cohesiveness going. Dmac in my opinion is better at free safety. Better then Gregory too. We need some sort of constant and him there is a good start. If Chung can get/stay healthy he can be our SS and that group's energy guy. He can come up in the box and play that role. Dennard is this group's bright spot. I say forget zone which is a bad look for this team and let our young kid's play man. The results can't be any worse. The deep passes and record shattering amount of 30+ completions needs to stop in order for this team to make a deep playoff run. Hopefully T. Wilson can improve and the game can slow down for him sooner then later and that would help alot. We need whoever plays the other corner and star position's to be at least serviceable for the rest of the year and into the playoffs. If Arrington is going to play anywhere it should be in the slot.

D. MCcourty 38 tackles, 0 sacks, 2 int's, 0 FF

K. Arrington 31, 0, 0, 0

T. Wilson 28, 0, 3, 3

P. Chung 26, 0, 0, 0

S. Gregory 14, 0, 1, 0

S. Moore 13, 0, 0, 1

A. Dennard 10, 0, 2, 0

Again if this unit gets any better our chances for a title are amazing in my opinion. I believe I believe.

RESPONSE: Agreed. This group has surrendered far too many big plays. Safety position remains a major problem. Injuries to Chung, Gregory, and to Crystal-lite Dowling have taken their toll.

GRADE: C-  

Special teams - A

Alot of people don't like ghost but his kicks against the not yet's are a great confidence booster for him and a good sign for this team. Let's not forget guys, no one will ever be Adam V. in the clutch again so ghost isn't a bad consolation prize considering what's floating around the league.

Punters are people too you know. Z. Mesko is awesome. A good person and a fantastic punter when called upon imo.

Kick returns are good so long as dmac doesn't fumble. It would have been awesome if Jeff Demps never got IR'ed.

Edelman and WW seem to have been doing alright on punt returns so nothing more on that front.

S. Gostowski 17-20

Z. Mesko 30 punts 42.0 avg.

RESPONSE: Strongly disagree. The special teams cost the Pats the Cardinals game (surrendered a block punt...and the Gostkowski shank in the closing seconds). That horrid loss may end up costing the Pats a playoff bye. Other than the McCourty KO TD return, the Pats have gotten nothing from their kick-off returns. McCourty also nearly gave the Jets game away with his SP fumble. That said, the Arizona game aside, the SP have been solid, if unspectacular.   

GRADE: B-

Offensive coordinator- B

RESPONSE: Seems that McDaniels has done more to screw up the offense, than to improve it. Some poor play calling, and foolishly trying to transform the Pats into a smash-mouth team with Brady operating under center, managing the game. Against the Rams last Sunday, it finally dawned up Josh that he has a Hall of Fame QB at his disposal, who operates best out of the shot-gun formation:

GRADE: C; 

Defensive coordinator- C

RESPONSE: Here, we agree. Same secondary problems as last year. Tepid pass-rush. I've seen little innovation. But, BB and Patricia could be holding back wrinkles, to be used in the play-offs.

GRADE: C;

Hey guys just a little fun thing I wanted to do for the board so you all could discuss amongst eachother. Whether I agree or disagree with you as posters i appreciate the fact you are all Pats fans and in that way we are all tied together.

I would love your input as to what you all think as to what's unfolded and what will happen. Thanks for taking the time to read and don't rip me to much. : )

RESPONSE: Any time you render an opinion, especially if it's somewhat critical, you're going to hear from the whiny homers...LOL!!    

[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Want a good laugh? Then compare and contrast the above Patriots' report card over the first eight games of the year, to that of the J-E-T-S...JETS...JETS...JETS!!!  http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-midseason-report-card-plenty-problems-rex-article-1.1195091 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Trolls/Irrationals exposed.

[/QUOTE]

Obviously he does care about the 22 points a game they spit up and the repeated errors of one of the worst secondaries ever assembled or he wouldn't have passed on your hero Moore and aquired Talib.  Words mean nothing....especially yours!!!!!!  How's that for exclamation?

Crusty exposed again!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

My hero is Moore or I appreciate what he did when he was here? You're a clear pink hat thinking Talib is some sort of slam dunk remedy, which is not surprising. You have no clue that this sport is about teamwork and not a name on a jersey, because you just started watching in 2007. Well, that's great. We're glad you started following Mel Kiper in 2007.  The pass rush is the key, regardless. LOL

[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, your hero is Moore, you've drooled over him often in conjunction with your constant TB bashing.   Funny you can't appreciate what TB has done but get all woody over Moore.

Talib is a HUGE upgrade and I don't give a flip what his jersey says as long as he helps the pitiful defense so TB and the best O in the league can actually win some tough games.

Crusty exposed AGAIN!!!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

He's a huge upgrade? How do we even know this? Was Duane Starks a "huge upgrade"? I bet you thought so similarly to how you're reacting now with exclamation points in pink panties.

You just don't get it.  It's not about the name on the jersey, it's about the skill set, if they take the coaching and how they fit into the system.

For you to be sold like this is comical. We're all laughing at you right now.  All the way with Talib!  lol

The Jets are just enamored with fans like you.  Enjoy being one of them.   lol

[/QUOTE]

Don't think anyone is laughing about getting an UPGRADE, but we do all laugh at you and your twisted take on things.  You're a legend in your own mind, crusty.  The kind little kids make rymes to as they taunt the weirdest kid in the play yard.

Crusty exposed again!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

I agree that Talib looks from the outside to be an upgrade but Rusty also has a point that it's a team effort and cohesiveness, scheme, experience and a few other unit oriented issues could make this situation better.

However some new blood with what looks to be some talent can never hurt. Got to love BB not just sitting back. A 4th has a hard time making this team anyway so I don't see the harm.

Low-risk high reward. Loving BB for his go after it attitude.. 18 picks in 5 years ain't too shabby.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

I agree that Talib looks from the outside to be an upgrade but Rusty also has a point that it's a team effort and cohesiveness, scheme, experience and a few other unit oriented issues could make this situation better.

However some new blood with what looks to be some talent can never hurt. Got to love BB not just sitting back. A 4th has a hard time making this team anyway so I don't see the harm.

Low-risk high reward. Loving BB for his go after it attitude.. 18 picks in 5 years ain't too shabby.

[/QUOTE]

No one is saying he's not going to have to delevope those things and put in the work but the talent alone should help unless he truly is an idiot.  How benificial was the cohesiveness and experience to Moore?  Not so much, and I liked the kid.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

Pezzy doesn't get that one of the reasons why BB feels no reservation in making a move like this is because of the leverage he gives himself. As I stated, NE liked Talib in the draft but didn't waste the money on him that TB did.

I think it's a classic BB move with low risk, high reward, but many will whine and moan next year in April when NE doesn't have a 4th rounder.

I applaud BB for doing what he can to improve the club at any cost (within reason), and this is another example. Who knows, maybe he proves himself and they can get an under market extension with him.

But, Pezzy's reactioin is typical childish knee jerk behavior. In his mind, this is some kind of a reason to excuse any failures on offense, to deflect from Brady's postseason. Make no mistake, this postseason will be about Brady, not Talib.

[/QUOTE]

I think you are confused crusto.  You either like the pick or not.  On one thread you say it's not about the jersey and it's the pass rush that matters and now you think it's brilliant.  So which is it Crusto???  I thought it was brilliant from the start, thus giving kudo's to BB in the post.

Oh, it will be about the D not losing the lead with seconds left AGAIN, so ya, an improved secondary matters.  More than you know, apparently.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

I like the discussion.. You both have some points.. As a matter of fact the whole thread has been football related and civil... : )

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

How about you just stop ruining his thread?  Stick to your exclamation point abused 12 year old girl one.  lol

Serious question:

When did you start watching the NFL?

[/QUOTE]

Thread was just fine until you got on, as were the rest of them.  So which is it, do you like the move or not?  Please tell us!!! Is it brilliant because BB did it or is it brilliant because of the upgrade in talent? 

Serious question:  When did you stop watching the NFL?  2007?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

QB Sacks are overated.

[/QUOTE]

Well...yes and no.

I think the tally of QB sacks rung up can be overstated, as merely getting constant pressure on a QB will likely generate the same effect of rattling him over the course of the entire game. But, as an individual play, a QB sack can be a HUGE momentum changer, or even game changing play. Conversely, having your defense allow a QB to escape a would-be sack and make a big play against you is a HUGE emotional downer: (See: Adalius Thomas/Eli Manning). In this case, mere "pressure" does not yield a favorable result.

It's all about situational football. BB probably doesn't care whether the Pats lead the league in blocked punts. But if you get one in a big game...at a critical time...makes all the difference in the world. Likewise, the importance of sacks, at critical times, cannot be overstated.

In the final offensive drive of the Seattle game, the Pats faced a 3rd and 10. Since it was 4-down terrritory, there was still room for optimism. But when Brady was sacked into a 4th and 17, the game's outcome was all but written.

Sections
Shortcuts