NEW ENGLAND SCARLET KNIGHTS? what's the obssession with RUTGERS defenders anyways?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Re: NEW ENGLAND SCARLET KNIGHTS? what's the obssession with RUTGERS defenders anyways?

BB likes character in his players - big whoop. Ever coach and team says that, but few take it into conisderation as much as NE. But then few teams get talked about with phrases like 'the patriot way', and few gets quite as much good pub from veterans who they bring in and talk about the difference.

As for the Rutgers guys specifically - part of it is system, part is talent, and part is character. But most of it is specific personal knowledge of the player. No surprise to see a couple of PSU guys walking in the door as UDFAs - there is a connection to their coach. Same with some of the players drafted last year. Same with Nick Saben, and the FL coaches. Easier to take a chance (and taking a chance is what the draft is all about) on guys you think you really know or have really good info on than a guy with similar skills that you only see on film.

And it runs in cycles - this is probably the last year of that connection with Rutgers, but maybe next year we see a few more from PSU. Who knows. 

As for offensive players from Rutgers - the only good NFL player I can think of is Rice, so I don't think anyone sees the program as a goldmine on offense. But they had a pretty highly ranked pass defense last year so role the dice. Not as if we used a lot of draft capital on Rutgers players - I know, picks #83 and #91 are really covetted, but ...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: NEW ENGLAND SCARLET KNIGHTS? what's the obssession with RUTGERS defenders anyways?

In response to mia76's comment:

BB likes character in his players - big whoop. Ever coach and team says that, but few take it into conisderation as much as NE. But then few teams get talked about with phrases like 'the patriot way', and few gets quite as much good pub from veterans who they bring in and talk about the difference.

As for the Rutgers guys specifically - part of it is system, part is talent, and part is character. But most of it is specific personal knowledge of the player. No surprise to see a couple of PSU guys walking in the door as UDFAs - there is a connection to their coach. Same with some of the players drafted last year. Same with Nick Saben, and the FL coaches. Easier to take a chance (and taking a chance is what the draft is all about) on guys you think you really know or have really good info on than a guy with similar skills that you only see on film.

And it runs in cycles - this is probably the last year of that connection with Rutgers, but maybe next year we see a few more from PSU. Who knows. 

As for offensive players from Rutgers - the only good NFL player I can think of is Rice, so I don't think anyone sees the program as a goldmine on offense. But they had a pretty highly ranked pass defense last year so role the dice. Not as if we used a lot of draft capital on Rutgers players - I know, picks #83 and #91 are really covetted, but ...

+1... Rutgers had a top 15 pass d I believe. They play well together, and communication is a very important trait for a successful secondary. Ryan Logan is a good corner. He had a 2nd-3rd round grade, and he went where he should...I think bb made some wise choices. Not all popular, but good choices.