new GRONK rule coming from Goody?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: new GRONK rule coming from Goody?

In response to ImagydSportsBos' comment:

first of, where was pollard, what does he know and how much did he bet? seriously though, like the brady rule, goody has to wake up to reality.. u cant b losing stars like gronk.. moms are now going to really b scared having their kids play football.. whats worse, having a cripple with multiple surgeries (even if for one year) or one with concussion and brain issues  esp later on in life? you cant go low on a defenseless qb, so y is it ok to do so on a second level wr? huge guy is running at full speed and u jump low at him..

jeez, what happens when u jump in forn of a train or mac truck? defenseless receiver has to be going low on a second level wr.. have to hit between the knees and head.. thats a lot of room. small guys may have to hold on for dear life or to slow guys down til someone else can go low  after they slow down the flow a bit.. but like with concussions, losing a knee esp to a gronk is equally UNACCEPTABLE. let the diehards start their jabro screaming.. its the right thing to do! do we want to b like the bruins and nhl?

If that hit was on Payton Manning you wouldn't be saying anything about rule for hiting low? If they are find for hitting high  and find for hitting low .... Whats left???  Maybe flag football

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to tanbass's comment:

Okay, once again, can someone please tell me how to take down a guy like Gronk by going high? It's just not going to happen. He will run you over...period.

You want to tackle someone, you are supposed to wrap up their legs, and stop them from moving. Some guys wrap up with a perfect form tackle. A lot of smaller guys like the DBs have been diving at the legs of the ball carriers for years trying to knock their legs out from under them. I personally think it's a bad way to tackle, but it happnes on almost every play.

I think Ty Law and Troy Brown most likely know more than anyone here on this forum. They are bost very respected players. The both said this was a clean hit. Sorry but I'll take their word over anyone's here that the hit was clean.

Yes it sucks, but this is reality in the NFL. If they put any more rules in about tackling, they will be wearing flags in a few years.

AMEN!

Players today are bigger, stronger, and faster. And, defnders can't shoot 'em either. Their jobs are on the line too, and their play is reviewed in post game film sessions. Yes, the NFL has brought this down to this issue. But, fear not! We'll have a SB outdoors in the elements of the Northeast! Imaine a game played under Sunday's conditions? Sorry, but NO ONE will ever convince me that this would be the best thing the NFL can present as their crown jewel of a game. Try telling the Saints,  should they get there, that the conditions may be beyond poor, but it'll be fun to watch on TV.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

defensive players are already so limited, but that said, this particular tackle resembles that horrible prank some of us played in high school to trip people off their feet when they weren't aware. 

There has to be a way to protect against this kind of play. But Tj's quotes said it all: to take a risk of fine and penalty he's not going high. He's going low. We're going to see a lot more knee injuries.

Where have you been for lo these many years? Knee injuries are part of the NFL; always have been, always will be. Look at the great players that had careers cut short (Gayle Sayers comes to mind) by them, and more will be.

DB's have only one place to go to take down a guy like Gronk, adn that's low. I know you'd probably NEVER admit it, but what would you be saying abiut a Patriot DB (say, Arrington) who continually gets dragged 5-15 yards by a bigger receiver, when trying to tackle around the mid section?  I'll guarandamntee you we'd NEVER hear thewe words pouring out of your fingers: "He played great! Never took a receiver down on his own, but no one got hurt either! He's a keeper"  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lopez8173. Show lopez8173's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

So, where is a defender supposed to tackle? Can't tackle high and can't tackle low? Why not just make it flag football?

Gronk probably has 5 feet of body length between his head and his knees.  A normal player 4-41/2 ft. That's not a big enough target especially when you are of the same height or in that safe range?  Every player knows where a first down marker is and can stretch to hit it.  They can avoid the knees, too, if they want to.  He obviously didn't want to.  The only way to eliminate that is take it out of the game with a fine and suspension to follow.

Ya, let's just go for the lower 15% and be done with it.  Perfect...

I don't think it's coincidence that a lot of the elite players get taken out this way.  That's the second time he's been injured with below the knees, crap.

Knees are not made to be slammed backwards or sideways,

They should make a ruling that if you launch yourself head (helmet) first at someone's knees or head you will automatically be suspended without pay and  out  of the league as  until the player is fully recovered from his injury..  you can be sure that will put an end to this nonsense quickly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to AZPAT's comment:

In response to tanbass's comment:

Okay, once again, can someone please tell me how to take down a guy like Gronk by going high? It's just not going to happen. He will run you over...period.

You want to tackle someone, you are supposed to wrap up their legs, and stop them from moving. Some guys wrap up with a perfect form tackle. A lot of smaller guys like the DBs have been diving at the legs of the ball carriers for years trying to knock their legs out from under them. I personally think it's a bad way to tackle, but it happnes on almost every play.

I think Ty Law and Troy Brown most likely know more than anyone here on this forum. They are bost very respected players. The both said this was a clean hit. Sorry but I'll take their word over anyone's here that the hit was clean.

Yes it sucks, but this is reality in the NFL. If they put any more rules in about tackling, they will be wearing flags in a few years.

AMEN!

Players today are bigger, stronger, and faster. And, defnders can't shoot 'em either. Their jobs are on the line too, and their play is reviewed in post game film sessions. Yes, the NFL has brought this down to this issue. But, fear not! We'll have a SB outdoors in the elements of the Northeast! Imaine a game played under Sunday's conditions? Sorry, but NO ONE will ever convince me that this would be the best thing the NFL can present as their crown jewel of a game. Try telling the Saints,  should they get there, that the conditions may be beyond poor, but it'll be fun to watch on TV.

exactly. NO rules will help. Emphasis of rules is what got us here in the 1st place. If a players doesnt want to get concussions they should quit football. It was fine as far as im concerned. We have more info now. Players can choose to be rich and play or live a normal life like me. They chose this life. Goodell just needs to stay out of it as he is the reason for all these knee injuries. Players have expressed they would rather get a head injury and sit out a week than a year. They spoke  on it and its THEIR future.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to CommyContrarianOnTwitter's comment:

here's the deal.. in college football you seldom see injuries like that to gronk.. guys can get tossed immediately for launching like urting their team immediately in the first quarter. thus, coaches teach the proper two hand tackle technique to the midsection.. jeez, if they can do it there y are nfl jabronis launching sideways to guy's knees and heads ALL THE TIME! there's no consequence.. so u get fined or penalized, in the meantime, if ur the jets and u can take out a gronk fpr the entire year of make a name for urself like a pollard or TJ whatever, y not... no real immediate downside... or else the coaches will b leading the change like in COLLEGE!

Fine 'em, suspend 'em, heck! Shoot 'em at dawn! Won't matter a bit as long as the determination made to call or NOT call a penalty is a judgement thing. It'll always be that way. Most of the college players won't make it, if at all, in the NFL. Comparing college and the NFL is akin to comparing high school to college, or high school with Pop Warner. Dznt work. Different rules too. The best we can hope for is that game officiating be consistent. 

Boo Boo Owies are a part of the game. The players know this, even the lineman from BF, Nowhere with an ID just under that of a grain of sand. Yet they choose to play teh game for fame and fortune. (I don't care what any of the "short careers" talking heads say; they're liars.)  You play for love of the game up to and including high school, if you're good enough to make the team. Sorry, but after that it's ALL abut the Benjamins.

I umpire youth baseball. I don't buy that crap about game oficials not wanting to make THE call that decides THE game. I relish it! Guess why? Before the game starts, I know for a fact that 1/2 of the folks involved in the game won't like my calls, be it the first pitch or the final out. Unlike soccer, where Mommies hand out trophies like Halloween candy, and a 1-0 game is an offensive explosion, everyone DOESN'T win in baseball, or football.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

As I always have said, the only rule that will work is a "you break him, you bought him" rule.  In a league where diving at the knees is always done by offensive players on every snap, in a rule where roughing the passer after he throws the ball is a deliberate tactic, and in a league where mass mayhem breaks out after the outcome of a game is decided so penalties are useless (see the first Jets-Pats game for example), teams must be penalized with draft picks walking from the aggressor team to the victim team when their guys are deliberately (or only semi-deliberately) injured.  Figure out what a guy is worth to a team by how much he plays and the length of his remaining contract.  Also, double these penalties during the playoffs.

Finally, too many players are making their personal fouls when the penalty doesn't count.  Find a way to make the penalties count against the aggressor team.  A game misconduct penalty at the end of a game should carry halfway through the next week's game if needed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

I'm all for a football "strike zone"

but seriously OSHA would never let any other industry get away with allowing workers to be exposed to such a high level of preventable injuries. 

Are you saying OSHA should oversee professional sports?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

I think we forget what sort of athletic freaks NFL players are. Most of us cannot comprehend the combination of size and speed, especially since we really only see it relative to the other freaks on the field.

I once read a description of an NFL linebacker which I found to be pretty apt.. He's the guy, who, when he was in high school, would win the state championship in wrestling at heavyweight (220-285 lbs) in the winter and follow that up in the spring by winning the 100 meters at the state track meet.

A split second earlier or later means Gronk's foot isn't planted and at most he probably has a bruise.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

Why not require titanium knee braces for all players?  If I was an owner, that would be in every contract.

12. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts