New IR designation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

New IR designation

I think this new IR designation is going to take a while for teams to figure out. As I understand the rule you can designate anyone with a 'major' injury at any time during the year after the final cutdown (or such date prior to game 1 as the league designates.) This year there was a one time exemption for players already IR designated because the rule came in after some players had already gone on IR. BUT you can only use it once per year and it is not 'transferrable' from one player to another.
    Everyone is assuming it will be used prior to week one for someone that had practiced before being injured (otherwise they went on PUP.) BUT - it can also be used in season when someone goes down so if you have already used it before game one you lose out on the great benefit you could get for later in the year.
    Example - game three Mike Vick gets injured and is going to miss at least a month. If available you can place the IR/Return designation on him (your franchise QB) add a needed QB or other player to the 53, and still get Vick back after week 8.
    Last year the Pats probably would have used the new IR for Dan Koppen (if they hadn't already used it prior to game 1.)
    I think a lot of teams will not be using the new IR before week 1 - it is a good insurance policy for critical players, but only if it hasn't already been used already.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Re: New IR designation

In response to mia76s comment:
    Added - probably why Demps ended on the regular IR by the way.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: New IR designation

The waters are real muddy on this right now.  I'd like someone too get a definitive answer, either way, on Demps eligibility from BB or someone from the NFL.