New KR concept?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

New KR concept?

Just a thought for you.

Because of the new rules on Kickoffs. Why not try a new concept with it.

You know the one play usually at the end of game and a TD is needed to win. This is when the O'team lines up with mostly all the sure handed players with speed and they pass it back successfully more times than not and it usually results in a sure gain of long yards but not a TD to win and then time runs out, end of Game.

Think this is too risky? Should/Could this 'trick play' be used more often to generate excitment on Kickoffs? Ahern catches the Kick runs for 5 yards, back to Woody, over and back to Edelman back to Jeff Demps and he is going ....all the way! hahaha

have a great night all ...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Re: New KR concept?

I always thought being up on the kickoff that a kicker will learn somehow to sky the ball like a punt and make it like an onside kick but down field. I wonder if its legal to fair catch a kickoff. If not you have a guy standing there waiting for the ball go come down and will get clobbered. No halo rule, legal to block him out of the way. That would be an interesting trick play if you think about it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: New KR concept?:
    I always thought being up on the kickoff that a kicker will learn somehow to sky the ball like a punt and make it like an onside kick but down field. I wonder if its legal to fair catch a kickoff. If not you have a guy standing there waiting for the ball go come down and will get clobbered. No halo rule, legal to block him out of the way. That would be an interesting trick play if you think about it.
    Posted by Philskiw1
    I think I've seen kick returners fair catch kickoffs before but I'm not sure of the rules where they are concerned.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I think I've seen kick returners fair catch kickoffs before but I'm not sure of the rules where they are concerned

I've never seen it thats why I mentioned it. If the kicker can kick the ball like a 9 iron I think it would probably bring on a rules change.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Yes. Any kick, punt or kickoff, can be fair caught. One major difference between fair catching a punt and fair catching a kickoff is that the kickoff is a free kick. Where a punt returner deep in his own territory may call for a fair catch and let the ball bounce on the ground in the hope that the ball will bounce into the end zone for a touchback, the kick returner must catch the ball due to the fact that a kickoff is a free kick and the team that recovers a free kick is awarded possession of the ball.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_fair_catch_a_kick_off#ixzz23zaq5q8b

I wonder why they don't call a fair catch on an onside kick then. Surely the receiver would get hit by someone and be awarded interference. Interesting subject though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

After i wrote my belief that you could fair catch a kickoff and I did go to wikipedia and found the same interpetation as Phil wrote. I also wonder why on the onside kick that noone has ever signaled for a fair catch,could be that most of them barely go 10 yards in the air if at all.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

I think you can't call a FC on an onsisde kick because you must signal in time for the defenders to avoid you.  I am not sure that would be possible on an onside kick even if you know where it was going

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yes. Any kick, punt or kickoff, can be fair caught. One major difference between fair catching a punt and fair catching a kickoff is that the kickoff is a free kick. Where a punt returner deep in his own territory may call for a fair catch and let the ball bounce on the ground in the hope that the ball will bounce into the end zone for a touchback, the kick returner must catch the ball due to the fact that a kickoff is a free kick and the team that recovers a free kick is awarded possession of the ball. Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_fair_catch_a_kick_off#ixzz23zaq5q8b I wonder why they don't call a fair catch on an onside kick then. Surely the receiver would get hit by someone and be awarded interference. Interesting subject though.
    Posted by Philskiw1

You could call a fair catch on an onside kick, but it only counts as a fair catch if the ball doesn't touch the ground before you catch it.  Usually, onside kicks are bounced along the ground or kicked into the ground, so a fair catch couldn't apply.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

Perhaps my OP point was not clear enough.

On the Kickoff from the 35 the ball is caught either in the end zone or field of play. Let's say Ahern fields the ball and takes it out 5 yards and then laterals in back to Endelman who advances another 5 yards or so and then passes it back to Woody who then advances it a few more yards and passes it back to Demps who then sees an opening and he takes it for a long gainer or all the way.

Sets up confusion for the gunning Team. Somewhat like in Rugby. They lateral back until the player is downed. Capice?

Would'nt do this all the time but casual use of it would help that runner with a bit more space and I think they outlawed the 'spear' defense on Kickoffs to prevent injuries to the gunning team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Perhaps my OP point was not clear enough. On the Kickoff from the 35 the ball is caught either in the end zone or field of play. Let's say Ahern fields the ball and takes it out 5 yards and then laterals in back to Endelman who advances another 5 yards or so and then passes it back to Woody who then advances it a few more yards and passes it back to Demps who then sees an opening and he takes it for a long gainer or all the way. Sets up confusion for the gunning Team. Somewhat like in Rugby. They lateral back until the player is downed. Capice?
    Posted by palookaski

I think there's too much risk of turning the ball over for this to be a regular approach.  Laterals occur very ocassionally on kick offs when time isn't running out, but there's a reason teams don't lateral regularly on any play and it's because it's very easy to turn the ball over when you're passing it back and forth on the run.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Why don't they just change the rules back to the way they were? It looked nearly impossible to get any type of return with those rules last year, almost every kick ended up going back into the end zone. You would see guys try to return it from the end zone...make all sorts of great moves and show speed...only to get taken down at the 22. Why bother? If you just take the knee, you only are going to lose small yardage and not risk the fumble or penalties.

I couldn't stand watching this last year. Why did they change it? It took all the excitement out of kickoff returns.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

They changed it to reduce collisions because it's one of the most dangerous plays in football.  It is less exciting though.  I've argued that they should simply replace the place kick with a punt just like is done on safety kicks (which are also free kicks just like kick offs).  The restraining line would need to be adjusted if a punt were used on a kick off, but as long as you picked a restraining line that resulted in average starting field position after returned kicks being roughly the 25 yard line, it would all work out.  

Kick offs require a different type of return than a punt, and it would be sad to see those disappear, but any return is better than a touchback. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The idea of the new rule that we were sold is that now with everyone being 10 yards closer the speed of the players will be less in a collision.  That is nonsense since humans are not like cars and don't need 15 seconds or a mile length to reach top speed.  Pretty sure within a couple seconds and 20 yards people reach top speed so I don't believe it reduces collision speed.

The real reason would simply be they hoped for less returns and therefore less collisions.  But like BB said if you are trying to make it a non-play than just eliminate the play.  Or leave it as a play, but just making it a watered down play is dumb.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

In Response to Re: New KR concept? : You could call a fair catch on an onside kick, but it only counts as a fair catch if the ball doesn't touch the ground before you catch it.  Usually, onside kicks are bounced along the ground or kicked into the ground, so a fair catch couldn't apply.  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

Spot on!

Sections
Shortcuts