News: New England Patriots running back Eric Kettani, 25, was granted an early release from the Navy, and he's expected to join the Patriots for offseason camp, the Navy announced Wednesday.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

News: New England ...

Thoughts?
    i never watched navy play.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: News: New England Patriots running back Eric Kettani, 25, was granted an early release from the Navy, and he's expected t...

Rookie FA. Fullback. I don't know, special teamer at best maybe?

I'd be choacked to see a rookie FA from Navy do much to be honest. Who's the last professional to come from there and have a legitimate career? David Robinson?

http://www.databasefootball.com/players/bycollege.htm?sch=United+States+Naval+Academy

Obviously not a complete list as Kettani isn't even listed, but not one person I reckognize.

Classy move by the Navy though. Although, he spent the past year drumming up attention by being allowed to practice witht he Pats, and participate in the Wounded Warriors program.

Come to think of it, Kyle Eckel isn't listed either? BB loves good seaman!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: News: New England Patriots running back Eric Kettani, 25, was granted an early release from the Navy, and he's expected t...

In Response to Re: News: New England Patriots running back Eric Kettani, 25, was granted an early release from the Navy, and he's expected to join the Patriots for offseason camp, the Navy announced Wednesday.:
    Rookie FA. Fullback. I don't know, special teamer at best maybe? I'd be choacked to see a rookie FA from Navy do much to be honest. Who's the last professional to come from there and have a legitimate career? David Robinson? http://www.databasefootball.com/players/bycollege.htm?sch=United+States+Naval+Academy Obviously not a complete list as Kettani isn't even listed, but not one person I reckognize. Classy move by the Navy though. Although, he spent the past year drumming up attention by being allowed to practice witht he Pats, and participate in the Wounded Warriors program. Come to think of it, Kyle Eckel isn't listed either? BB loves good seaman!
    Posted by ma6dragon9

actually classy not.
    last year he got a special exemption to go play football and be let off a little early.
    then they came back later when he was with the team and said. we change our minds, report immediatley.

in my opinion, this late move is a pr move to save a little face.

would love to hear form somenone who saw him play

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

No disrespect to anyone posting, but my take on this is that this kid just got an education at taxpayers' expense with the understanding that he would serve in the United States Navy upon graduation in service to our country.  As far as I'm concerned, and this would hold whether the kid is a bust or the second coming of Jim Brown, he should be on active duty deployed per the needs of the service.  He's getting an enormous gift being permitted to cut short his military obligation to play football.

In the spirit of full disclosure I've been a New England Patriots fan since the franchise was formed and I am also a Lieutenant Commander, U. S. Navy (retired). 

My respectful 2 cents.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

agreed with atj.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In Response to Re: News: New England Patriots running back Eric Kettani, 25, was granted an early release from the Navy, and he's expected to join the Patriots for offseason camp, the Navy announced Wednesday.:
    No disrespect to anyone posting, but my take on this is that this kid just got an education at taxpayers' expense with the understanding that he would serve in the United States Navy upon graduation in service to our country.  As far as I'm concerned, and this would hold whether the kid is a bust or the second coming of Jim Brown, he should be on active duty deployed per the needs of the service.  He's getting an enormous gift being permitted to cut short his military obligation to play football. In the spirit of full disclosure I've been a New England Patriots fan since the franchise was formed and I am also a Lieutenant Commander, U. S. Navy (retired).  My respectful 2 cents.
    Posted by ATJ

As another former squid I agree.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

No disrespect to anyone posting, but my take on this is that this kid just got an education at taxpayers' expense with the understanding that he would serve in the United States Navy upon graduation in service to our country.  As far as I'm concerned, and this would hold whether the kid is a bust or the second coming of Jim Brown, he should be on active duty deployed per the needs of the service.  He's getting an enormous gift being permitted to cut short his military obligation to play football. In the spirit of full disclosure I've been a New England Patriots fan since the franchise was formed and I am also a Lieutenant Commander, U. S. Navy (retired).  My respectful 2 cents.
    Posted by ATJ

I do agree with you having served 8 years in the army but i do have to say the navy did recruit him to play football for them, so they did get something from him by useing him in that way. Both navy and army are used as promotional teams for military for recruitment.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In Response to Re: News: New England Patriots running back Eric Kettani, 25, was granted an early release from the Navy, and he's expected to join the Patriots for offseason camp, the Navy announced Wednesday. : I do agree with you having served 8 years in the army but i do have to say the navy did recruit him to play football for them, so they did get something from him by useing him in that way. Both navy and army are used as promotional teams for military for recruitment.
    Posted by csylvia79

Totally understand your point and, to a degree, don't disagree.  Still having difficulty getting beyond him having cut short fulfilling his military service obligation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In Response to Re: News: New England Patriots running back Eric Kettani, 25, was granted an early release from the Navy, and he's expected to join the Patriots for offseason camp, the Navy announced Wednesday. : I do agree with you having served 8 years in the army but i do have to say the navy did recruit him to play football for them, so they did get something from him by useing him in that way. Both navy and army are used as promotional teams for military for recruitment.
    Posted by csylvia79

My responce would be that as a taxpayer I expect my money to be spent educating officers to serve in their branch not to play football or advertise.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

shorter headline maybe?

"Eric Kettani, granted early release from Navy, to join Patriots offseason program"

rooting for him, but long odds.  i think the fullback signings are a smokescreen unless we do somehow get Steven Jackson

also agree with CSilvia on how his being recruited to the Navy's football team, which is indeed a promotional gig, also counts as helping the Navy's cause

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

He could do his service obligation afterward. There's no reason they should have ever called him back. He probably never expected to get a chance to play in the NFL when he went to the naval academy. He's now 2 years removed from football and has virtually no chance. The navy could have had him repay the scholarship if he made a roster, which he could have done with his first NFL paycheck. Playing in the NFL and making the sort of money players make is a once in a lifetime opportunity- his family, his kids could've been set for life, their colleges could've been paid for. The navy probably lost a hundred recruits for this move... And now the military is forcing people out to downsize. I'm sorry but the move just seemed wrong to me. New officers are a dime a dozen they didn't need him that bad. They could have found a way to let him try the NFL. Believe me, the military let's people out for dumber stuff....including making too much money. And I'm an officer with 14 years in the army. At the very least the Navy certainly didn't need an officer who clearly had no interest in being an officer.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

He could do his service obligation afterward. There's no reason they should have ever called him back. He probably never expected to get a chance to play in the NFL when he went to the naval academy. He's now 2 years removed from football and has virtually no chance. The navy could have had him repay the scholarship if he made a roster, which he could have done with his first NFL paycheck. Playing in the NFL and making the sort of money players make is a once in a lifetime opportunity- his family, his kids could've been set for life, their colleges could've been paid for. The navy probably lost a hundred recruits for this move... And now the military is forcing people out to downsize. I'm sorry but the move just seemed wrong to me. New officers are a dime a dozen they didn't need him that bad. They could have found a way to let him try the NFL. Believe me, the military let's people out for dumber stuff....including making too much money. And I'm an officer with 14 years in the army. At the very least the Navy certainly didn't need an officer who clearly had no interest in being an officer.
    Posted by shenanigan

I agree, its not a big deal at all and I'm certainly not upset about the 100th of a cent of tax money that came out of my pocket to educate the guy, far more tax money is wasted than this. He probably didn't know that he would have a chance to play in the NFL when he joined, why hold someone back that has the chance to? He can still fulfill his obligation to the Navy or at least pay it back.
    I doubt that he makes the team and if he does it probably wont be anything more than a special teams player.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: News: New England Patriots running back Eric Kettani, 25, was granted an early release from the Navy, and he's expected to join the Patriots for offseason camp, the Navy announced Wednesday.":
    lol ex navy mad because this guy is getting a pass. "crabs in a bucket". Navy/Army are hoping to find another Pat Tillman, rather a tillman who doesn't ask questions. you wanna know how much the navy cares about it's soldiers? visit www.ussliberty.org Posted by ricky12684
    Dont know what this has to do with anything. They admitted it, they paid millions to the US and apologized. The sailors were compensated the same way anyone who is killed was. It's a business with risk, there is no mystery here.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: News: New England Patriots running back Eric Kettani, 25, was granted an early release from the Navy, and he's expected to join the Patriots for offseason camp, the Navy announced Wednesday.":
    kettani will be cut and then sent back to war slavery. in 5-10 years he will be another homeless ex soldier. Posted by ricky12684
    Maybe you shouldnt get all your military information from old Nam movies and YouTube. You have no f%&king clue what you're talking about.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: News: New England Patriots running back Eric Kettani, 25, was granted an early release from the Navy, and he's expected to join the Patriots for offseason camp, the Navy announced Wednesday. : don't tell me that, tell the navy officers who survived and made the website. these guys survived the incident and lived to tell it. why would i believe your word over theirs? what have you done besides put a helicopter on your avatar and pretend to be a hero? Posted by ricky12684
    Don't believe my word, I don't care. They're telling the same story on that web site that's been acknowledged by the government. It happened, it's not a mystery it's been documented. You can read about it in a million different places. They can bring attention for their cause, I have no problems with it. But you're acting like you found Jimmy Hoffa's body here. A mistake killed people 50 years ago, wasn't the first time and wasn't the last.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The attack on the USS Liberty is the only attack of its kind in US Navy history NOT to be the subject of a Congressional or U.S. government investigation. Posted by ricky12684
    Several investigations were done. You can find the reports on the Internet.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Posted by ATJ

Points well taken, I'm a retired LCDR (LDO) also, still working with the Navy (Director of a PSD) as a civilian.  One reason he may be getting released early is for the past few years, and particularly this year, the Navy is "rightsizing" (read:  downsizing) and they're offering several programs (early retirement at 15 years - with a decreased retainer) for folks to get out early.  They're also forcing Sailors out in overmanned ratings.  I certainly don't know if this is the case here, but letting someone go home early (or not reenlist) during "rightsizing" (happened in the mid-late 90's as well) is par for the course.  If this isn't the case, then yes, it's not right.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

And thus, a football thread becomes a Patriotic brouhaha to no purpose.  I note that it is a Patriots board.  should he do his service.  When?  I don't give a F.... 

I do political posting but I don't do it here and I'd like to think that others felt the same way.

To the Lt. Commander who started it all, thanks for your service now sit down and shut up, you're retired, act like it.  This should be about football and how Ketani runs his life and what the Navy let's him do or not do, is REALLY, REALLY, REALLY none of your F'ing concern.  You've got a beef where none exists,  I'm sick of phony Patriots of both kinds the same way I'm sick of protestor types who don't REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, know anything about war.  War sucks, it stinks, literally, it's usually unnecessary and finally, there isn't one single glorious thing about it.  I know and I hope the Lt. Commander knows the same thing and that he didn't just sail around in ship safe and sound from mortar rounds, RPGs and barking AKs.  I'm done with this thread, enjoy!!!!!

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts