next season thought

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

next season thought

Yeah, yeah, I know. Lets play this season out first. But the Denver game made me look ahead....

I am going to make an assumption that next year BB reverts back to old form and drafts heavily for both lines.

I also assume Vollmer, Mankins and Solder are healthy and locks top be back and starting. Connolly with a full offseason healthy and training is able to also come back ona reworked deal. Svitek I like quite a bit in that swing reserve role. The team likes Kline and Baker, and I do see a day 1 draft choice for the OL as well.

I watched the Denver game and saw Manny Ramirez who used to line up at G, simply dominate at C, and thought that should be what Cannon does for this team. Cannon is not going to supplant Vollmer or Solder. He could be average to above average at G. Could he be very good at C? Great size, very good feet, very strong, can play in space, can pull.

Save a ton of $$$ not signing Wendell, and most likely upgrading at C

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: next season thought

I like your thoughts on Cannon, wonder if BB has worked him out at C in practice at all? I also anticipate most of our draft picks being on the DL and OL. I do expect one high pick (rds 1-3) to be a TE. I only hope that BB goes with BPA at  most picks and not get pigeonholed into picking for need. That hasnt worked out to well (Tavon Wilson).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

I see need for DT, OL and TE probably in that order.  A RB, LB, and another Safety should also be drafted by the Pats.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah, yeah, I know. Lets play this season out first. But the Denver game made me look ahead....

I am going to make an assumption that next year BB reverts back to old form and drafts heavily for both lines.

I also assume Vollmer, Mankins and Solder are healthy and locks top be back and starting. Connolly with a full offseason healthy and training is able to also come back ona reworked deal. Svitek I like quite a bit in that swing reserve role. The team likes Kline and Baker, and I do see a day 1 draft choice for the OL as well.

I watched the Denver game and saw Manny Ramirez who used to line up at G, simply dominate at C, and thought that should be what Cannon does for this team. Cannon is not going to supplant Vollmer or Solder. He could be average to above average at G. Could he be very good at C? Great size, very good feet, very strong, can play in space, can pull.

[/QUOTE]

Wendell has struggled this year. If you go back and re-watch the games he gets driven back into the pocket on pass plays forcing Brady to slide lerft or right which in many cases throws off the timing of the play. He and  Connelly are either getting beat or missing to many blocks. Perhaps they move Connelly back to center and move Cannon to guard as you mentioned where he looks to be more physically suited to play.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wendell has struggled this year. If you go back and re-watch the games he gets driven back into the pocket on pass plays forcing Brady to slide lerft or right which in many cases throws off the timing of the play. He and  Connelly are either getting beat or missing to many blocks. Perhaps they move Connelly back to center and move Cannon to guard as you mentioned where he looks to be more physically suited to play.

[/QUOTE]

I agree

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think when you look at where we will be drafting next year (with the lack of ammunition to move up) I'm just hoping we can draft the best guy available...don't care what position it is really. We have all seen how an NFL season unfolds, a position of strength becomes a weakness two weeks into training camp after all the injuries you sustain...

I think our needs are DT, running back, offensive line (but I think it's more a guard issue and you can get those anywhere). As for the DT spot...those guys don't grow on trees...by the time we select all the best ones will be gone and I don't want to see us reaching for some overrated fat slob that is going to lean on a tackle and call it good defense for three years (see Ron Brace). Why the hell did we cut Deaderick? He must of been one of those guys that hung with Hernandez in that drug pad he had?? He did something, what I don't know, but Bill doesn't go cutting big, decent tackles that can hold their own against left tackles...that doesn't happen, but it did with him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Injuries have hurt us this year, but we do need the most help in the trenches either way. Interior OL, DT, and DE are what we need the most imo. Another TE would be a good idea, but that should be more of a mid-late round pick. I wouldn't be upset if they looked at another WR or RB, but we need to go back to winning the game in the trenches.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Josh Kline may be an upgrade at the center position from Wendell, I know that sometimes BB will overlook weaknesses by some players (size) if they are technically sound and make more good plays than bad so maybe he isn't as displeased with Wendell the wayy some of us are, Matt Light is another example.

Cannon is probably too large for center and the question of whether he can long snap is another that would need to be answered.  With the health of our tackles it's always good to have another 365 pounder in reserve.

To me defensive tackle is the biggest glaring hole, will Kelly even be back, will Vince start the season healthy?  Tightend is also an area of need...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Josh Kline may be an upgrade at the center position from Wendell, I know that sometimes BB will overlook weaknesses by some players (size) if they are technically sound and make more good plays than bad so maybe he isn't as displeased with Wendell the wayy some of us are, Matt Light is another example.

Cannon is probably too large for center and the question of whether he can long snap is another that would need to be answered.  With the health of our tackles it's always good to have another 365 pounder in reserve.

To me defensive tackle is the biggest glaring hole, will Kelly even be back, will Vince start the season healthy?  Tightend is also an area of need...

[/QUOTE]

Good questions on Kelly and Vince, I would have to say Vince is safe, but Kelly? I'm not sure. I guess the thought would be to keep both, but at their age, Vince's price and the combined injury/age factor...who knows? I wouldn't be surprised if Vince is asked to restructure.

Another young talent is needed for sure.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

With everything said here about the team's needs, what makes thoughts for next season interesting is does BB actually go with the direction the fans here think the team needs to go.  Most times, not, given the reactions I see here when draft day comes and goes and FA signing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Vince's replacement, Brady's replacement, a Center and a move TE are my wishes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

They need a TE to go along with Gronk.  

They need help on the interior of the O Line.

It's also time to be looking for VW's replacement.  No one can replace his talent, but he's got too many miles on him to think he'll be around much longer.

I think a lot will depend on how far they go in the playoffs and how they win/lose, and who can stay healthy for the remainder of the season.

If they don't move up/down in the draft my early guess would be

Round 1: O Line (guard/center)

Round 2: LB

Round 3: TE

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Vince's replacement, Brady's replacement, a Center and a move TE are my wishes.

[/QUOTE]

Doesn't that thought make EVERYONE shudder?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Always hate Drafting for need.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

I think our need will be:

1. G/C

2. TE

3. Pure Power RB (someone like BC Andre Williams)

4. QB

5. LB

I'm content with DT just for the fact we'll have Vince and Kelly back next year. Plus I think we're set at DE. Hopefully Buchanan will up for a bigger role next year. I would love to add a developmental QB with high upside and a pure power back to smash the defense. Would love to have a 2nd skilled TE on the field to compliment Gronk and another young LB to develop. Looks like Spikes isn't coming back. G/C is pretty self-explanatory. Mankins and Wendell aren't having the greatest year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It happens pretty consistently... and not just on pass plays. He really is just too slow and too weak to execute some of the blocking schemes they are trying to do.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_483130. Show user_483130's posts

I am gald that for the first time in a numbers of years we have no need to draft a corneback or WR. Hopefully those positions are set fo a while.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

In response to user_483130's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am gald that for the first time in a numbers of years we have no need to draft a corneback or WR. Hopefully those positions are set fo a while.

[/QUOTE]

Talib may be gone and I do not see anyone on the current team replacing him  . . . they still need help at safety.  Edelman's contract is just for this year and he may get a better offer . . . Kelley and Spinks may not be back next year and Mankins is nearing retirement  . . . they will have many holes to file.  Then who will be the backup QB . . . Mallett will not be back and that is for sure!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Have you seen mankins?  Our worst lineman and it ain't close.  Missing blocks?  Mankins might be drunk.

[/QUOTE]

Didn't the best GM in football just give him a boat load of money?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

May want to consider who will play NT next year.  Wilfork will not be back as a starting Dlman.  Old fat guys do not return to form after blowing out an achilles.  Look for more of 6 yards per run and RBs running for 200 yards a game against that awful run D.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Everyone is happy with Solder endangering Brady's life on every drop back?  LT is the first spot I upgrade first.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]Everyone is happy with Solder endangering Brady's life on every drop back?  LT is the first spot I upgrade first.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree that Solder doesn't seem to be very solid there.  Maybe its the camera angle but I see him struggling a lot.

They have to get linemen with their top picks.  

Is there a Brady in next years draft?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Solder is the least of this teams areas of need. Ditto Mankins. 

Wendell will have offers that the team will not wish to ascend to, meaning a replacement will have to be found. The draft seems to be light at the C spot this year. 

Wozzy, I am unsure on a players actual weight, but the pats web site has Cannon at 335, and his footwork is what had him as a day 1 draft choice. Ramirez is listed at 325 pounds. Josh Kline is listed at 295 pounds. 

Sections
Shortcuts