next season thought

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Re: next season thought

Just a reminder, we have these guys on IR,PS, NFI coming back next year

Reserve/Injured # NAME Ps HT. WT. AGE EXP. COLLEGE 67 Grissom, Cory DL 6-2 316 23 R South Florida 93 Kelly, Tommy DL 6-6 310 32 10 Mississippi State 51 Mayo, Jerod LB 6-1 250 27 6 Tennessee 84 Moe, T.J. WR 6-0 200 23 R Missouri 76 Vollmer, Sebastian T 6-8 320 29 5 Houston 75 Wilfork, Vince DL 6-2 325 32 10 Miami (Fla.) 24 Wilson, Adrian S 6-3 230 34 13 North Carolina State 66 Zusevics, Markus OL 6-5 300 24 2 Iowa Practice Squad # NAME Ps. HT. WT. AGE EXP. COLLEGE 68 Cave, Braxston OL 6-3 305 24 R Notre Dame 53 Davis, Ja'Gared LB 6-0 245 23 R Southern Methodist 36 Davis, Kanorris S 5-10 207 23 R Troy 65 Devey, Jordan T 6-6 317 25 R Memphis   Ford, Patrick T 6-6 305 23 0 Eastern Kentucky 98 Forston, Marcus DL 6-3 305 24 1 Miami 41 Green, Justin DB 5-11 195 22 R Illinois 35 Wood, Cierre RB 5-11 215 22 R Notre Dame Reserve/Non-Football Injury # NAME Ps HT. WT. AGE EXP. COLLEGE 97 Armstead, Armond DE 6-5 305 23 1 Southern California 13 Harrison, Mark WR 6-3 230 22 R Rutgers

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Everyone is happy with Solder endangering Brady's life on every drop back?  LT is the first spot I upgrade first.

[/QUOTE]

Are you basing this on getting beat by Miller last week?  I think Miller is a bad matchup for any RT or LT in the league.  The OL needs an upgrade at C/G, but the tackles are pretty good to me.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Solder is the least of this teams areas of need. Ditto Mankins. 

Wendell will have offers that the team will not wish to ascend to, meaning a replacement will have to be found. The draft seems to be light at the C spot this year. 

Wozzy, I am unsure on a players actual weight, but the pats web site has Cannon at 335, and his footwork is what had him as a day 1 draft choice. Ramirez is listed at 325 pounds. Josh Kline is listed at 295 pounds. 

[/QUOTE]

Agree with Solder, I think sometimes the coaches put too much on his shoulders because they think he is so good, even the best tackles should have a tightend putting a chip block on Von Miller instead of allowing him to be blocked one on one, the guy is too good and too fast for one man to block.

As far as Cannon goes he is 6'5" tall and while there have been tall centers before, ideally you want those throwing lanes clear and a stout, shorter center usually has more lateral quickness to snap the ball quickly and get into his blocks.

Cannon is a tackle and possibly a guard in reserve, when Vollmer went down we didn't hear anything about the right tackle position, Cannon was doing a great job before getting hurt and we really started running over his side often on sweeps.  I'm not sure of his weight now nor do I truly trust a Patriots website to give me (or opponents) true information, the team may have asked him to slim down as much as possible and/or he may have lost weight in cancer treatments, but when he came out of college he weighed closer to 400 pounds than 300 and was the biggest guy in that draft class.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=77826&draftyear=2011&genpos=OT

Kline was also 310 pounds out of college, I'm not sure about his current weight anymore than I am of Cannons but I'm pretty sure he can do what Wendell can do without breaking the bank.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah, yeah, I know. Lets play this season out first. But the Denver game made me look ahead....

I am going to make an assumption that next year BB reverts back to old form and drafts heavily for both lines.

I also assume Vollmer, Mankins and Solder are healthy and locks top be back and starting. Connolly with a full offseason healthy and training is able to also come back ona reworked deal. Svitek I like quite a bit in that swing reserve role. The team likes Kline and Baker, and I do see a day 1 draft choice for the OL as well.

I watched the Denver game and saw Manny Ramirez who used to line up at G, simply dominate at C, and thought that should be what Cannon does for this team. Cannon is not going to supplant Vollmer or Solder. He could be average to above average at G. Could he be very good at C? Great size, very good feet, very strong, can play in space, can pull.

Save a ton of $$$ not signing Wendell, and most likely upgrading at C

[/QUOTE]

I like the Idea of building up the line with some stronger interior guys. Ive been calling for that for years. I thought a few years back they had groomed a nice guard. Bigger guy but not sure what happened. I think Cannon is a guard who can also play tackle. I dont know if he is mentally ready to take on the duties of Center with Brady and what he commands but if so, We def. need to upgrade Wendell and probablt Connolly too. Lets face it, these guys were coached up but not exactly blue chippers. Id like to see what Scar can do with a couple more prominent guys. Would be nice to also find another "Brain Waters" situation next offseason like we did 2 years ago.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

See a lot folks asking to draft a RB but I dont think they do. They have a nice stable of young talent but its led by a fumbler. I dont see BB drafting another guy because Ridley is fumbling. Rather he is gonna help him fix it or trade him and get a veteran back ala fred taylor just to have in the mix. You dont just get a do over and draft another back. We have too many needs. He can get an undrafted guy if its that serious but I wouldnt waste any pics in the draft on RB. We need a TE. Other than that, Its ALL O line for offense and the rest DEFENSE. D. Tackle, Cover Linebacker(converted safety?) , another stout CB to go along with Ryan and Dennard for the future. Another D. Tackle late like a 4th rounder

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I hope we draft DL with the first 3 picks. Big Vince coming off an Achilles is no guarantee that he can even come back let alone be effective. That's a tough injury for a big man to overcome. Plus he's getting long in the tooth and we should be looking for his successor. 

Id like to see the rest off the needs addressed in FA. Hopefully talib will agree to terms and we can address both lines. I love BB as a coach and GM but he's a lot better drafting linemen then CB's and safeties. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The team needs to open it's wallet for Browns C Alex Mack and let Wendell walk wherever.

With an all-pro like Mack in the middle that will stabilize everything else. It should cost the Pats say 5 years 35-40 million with 18-22 guaranteed. A couple of recent examples of FA C's are Ryan Kalil (6 yrs 49m 28m guaranteed) and Max Unger (5 yrs 25m 12m guaranteed). Mack should fall somewhere in the middle.

Cannon should displace Connolly as starting RG with his continued growth. Connolly is owed 3m next year and should be restructured/extended at 3-4 years 1.5-2m a year and backup all 3 interior positions along with Kline or a day 2 pick.

Vollmer needs to stay healthy for a full-season, but is fine at RT.

Solder has been dissapointing but is still solid enough and hasn't hit his ceiling. Might be wise to extend him now off a mediocre season. Set to make 800k in the last year of his contract, giving him like 8 years 50 million with 25m guaranteed right now, and tripling his salary for '14, might save us from watching him make a big leap in '14 and asking for 9-11m a year after that.

Svitek is a great swing backup. There is also the IR kid from Missouri who was once a highly thought of day 1 pick that might make some noise in camp.

But Mack is the key. Get him and the 0-line could dominate Brady's late 30's, which is a VERY VERY important thing to make sure we have.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The team needs to open it's wallet for Browns C Alex Mack and let Wendell walk wherever.

With an all-pro like Mack in the middle that will stabilize everything else. It should cost the Pats say 5 years 35-40 million with 18-22 guaranteed. A couple of recent examples of FA C's are Ryan Kalil (6 yrs 49m 28m guaranteed) and Max Unger (5 yrs 25m 12m guaranteed). Mack should fall somewhere in the middle.

Cannon should displace Connolly as starting RG with his continued growth. Connolly is owed 3m next year and should be restructured/extended at 3-4 years 1.5-2m a year and backup all 3 interior positions along with Kline or a day 2 pick.

Solder has been dissapointing but is still solid enough and hasn't hit his ceiling. Might be wise to extend him now off a mediocre season. Set to make 800k in the last year of his contract, giving him like 8 years 50 million with 25m guaranteed right now, and tripling his salary for '14, might save us from watching him make a big leap in '14 and asking for 9-11m a year after that.

Svitek is a great swing backup. There is also the IR kid from Missouri who was once a highly thought of day 1 pick that might make some noise in camp.

But Mack is the key. Get him and the 0-line could dominate Brady's late 30's, which is a VERY VERY important thing to make sure we have.

[/QUOTE]

Very good plan and good points. I dont know If I would pay Solder 50 mill coming off this season even if he does command more later. I would rather role the dice on  finding another tackle. At the moment I wouldnt care if he around past brady and its after 2 years, It may be year to year w/Brady but yea, nice plan for C and I agree on everything else but also have to see how Vollmer looks after surgery and his back issues. Cant sign him while hurt. If you can land another starting quality Tackle later in the draft, I think you have to entertain moving from Vollmer and allowing Svetik to stay there till he gets up to speed. I was impresssed with Svetik and he has experience in the league

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brady's replacement,

[/QUOTE]

maybe he'll find another 6th round gem to replace TB

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Very good plan and good points. I dont know If I would pay Solder 50 mill coming off this season even if he does command more later. I would rather role the dice on  finding another tackle. At the moment I wouldnt care if he around past brady and its after 2 years, It may be year to year w/Brady but yea, nice plan for C and I agree on everything else but also have to see how Vollmer looks after surgery and his back issues. Cant sign him while hurt. If you can land another starting quality Tackle later in the draft, I think you have to entertain moving from Vollmer and allowing Svetik to stay there till he gets up to speed. I was impresssed with Svetik and he has experience in the league

[/QUOTE]

They just extended Vollmer this past off season if i'm not mistaken.