Next week come out throwing!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Next week come out throwing!

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:

NE had sold the run so well in the last few games it is likley a play action will work on the first series.

Dude, they didn't sell the run. They ran it.  They actually physically and finally COMMITTED to the run.

people don't get it... at all it seems...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

Run has been established genius...the last few weeks...Hello! What's the best part of NE offense right now...it's the run...Denver will look to stop the run....hello! That's the time to PA ...wow even an idiot like you should be able to see that. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Denver is more susceptible to the pass than the run, they have a couple of massive defensive tackles that clog the middle.  That said you'll have to run off tackle at the ends, at the pass rushers, run right at them and use the counter runs to get them going side to side.  They are not weak in any area.

We're going to have to pass to win, but we still have to run a fair amount, even when it gets tough, I would guess rush about the same amount as when we played them the first time 30+ rushes with all of our backs.  

Teams at this point of the playoffs are too good to beat with a one dimensional attack

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

NE had sold the run so well in the last few games it is likley a play action will work on the first series.

Dude, they didn't sell the run. They ran it.  They actually physically and finally COMMITTED to the run.

people don't get it... at all it seems...

It's just brutal.   I've spent 3 years begging for a run game, we have it like we always did, but immediately the BBWs cannot wait to see Brady jump the gun and screw it up again.

Ugh.

Motioning playaction before you get a run game going is a gimmick and completely pointless.

Teams know the cumulative effect of the run on a defense over a game. Every decent coach wants to snub it out right away if they suspect a game long stategy of running.

"Selling the run" is an expression that means you have convined the defense you are a run first club ready to shove the ball down thier throats and take over the game by force not finess. In this case they are obligated to attack the line..they know they are cooked if they let the other team get the upper hand with the run.

So 'selling the run' should not be that hard...but yes have to actually have a track record of ngoing a wholegame without giving up on it,

I do not believe once in the past 7 years has any team believed that about the PAtriots. As Deadahed mentions it makes no sense to play action before the other team is ready to fly to the line to stop the run...won't happen if they think you are a passing team.

Where I disagree with all of you, it is possible to establish such a reputation as a running team over a few games or a season to get them to bite on a play action before actually 'establishing' a running game in that same game.

I am guessing the Broncos are so scared NE will do the same to them as Buffalo and Indy got they will fly to the center of the line the first time Brady fakes to back from under center...what am I not getting?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

What we do will depend on what the donkey D does. If they focus on stopping Blount, we will pass.

The one thing we do have now that has been lacking for years is a homerun threat on the ground. Blount has done this since college. It is established that the opposing D has to respect that at this juncture. That forces them to key on the Brady passing game at their own peril.

Whatever they focus on, the other weapon will damage them severely. What we do is up to the donkeys, not us.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

What we do will depend on what the donkey D does. If they focus on stopping Blount, we will pass.

The one thing we do have now that has been lacking for years is a homerun threat on the ground. Blount has done this since college. It is established that the opposing D has to respect that at this juncture. That forces them to key on the Brady passing game at their own peril.

Whatever they focus on, the other weapon will damage them severely. What we do is up to the donkeys, not us.

I believe you are quite right on this. So getting good packages matched up, reading the D and then executing will be the three keys to winning. Which does not say much because essentially it always boils down to these things. But your perspective on how to attack is key... we cannot mindlessly try to force the pass or the run. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

A few times in the Colts game Brady audibles out of a play call and the we ran it, therefore depending what the Broncos want to show us that will determine our play calling. If Brady has to audible into a passing play because they stack the box so be it. We may not have the weapons we had in the past, but I thought DA and Edelman did a GREAT job this week. If we could gt production out of Dobson and Collie that's even better. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

It is pretty simple:

1. Establish the run by not hiding that we are going to hand it off but pounding it down the throat of that soft defensive front and daring them to stop us.

2. Mix in a lot of play action only when Denver proves it can stop the run (doubtful they can) or a little bit of play action when the team needs to start keeping them on their toes and starts seeing new formations.

3. Try for an unsuspected downfield shot to Amendola (or if he's healthy Dobson) to really freak them out.

This team needs to stick to the run early and often. Denver will only be able to stop it by flooding the box and changing their base D. THEN you can start doing some cute stuff. I would not want to see the spread AT ALL.

Screens to Vareen and Edelman that are well executed would be fun to see as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

The fact unfortunately is that statistically Denver is better against the run than the pass. Unlike against INDY our current strength is not their weakness but I think they have to run it until the Broncos stop it. If the Broncos stuff the run like they did today the Pats could be in for a long afternoon.

The Chargers basically played 90% of the game without Matthews and I believe that their offensive line had never played together in that line up. In fact the Chargers pre game announcers thought the 2 guards should have been switched and were surprised at the line up. Who knows what the outcome would have been but by all accounts from the Chargers perspective the right guard for the Chargers had a miserable day today leading to at least two sacks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

A dominating running game demoralizes your opponent.

If Denver puts  8 in the box, the Pats can still run with success.

Denver will not bring the safeties to the LOS, not because they are afraid of the pass, because they are afraid that Blount can break through and take it to the house.

Other than Eddleman we have no-one.

Think back to Lombardi and the Packers. They ran the same running plays over and over and the defenses just could not stop them .

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Key to beating the Broncos:  Follow the game plan that BB has his staff put together and make adjustments as game situations dictate.  Not trying to be a smarta_ss but this has been one asonishing caching job by BB this year. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

In response to Brady2Welker47's comment:

Denver was set on stopping the run and it took SD 3/4 of the game to exploit Denver's secondary ...I hope we come out with play action and go no huddle early...let's put pressure on Gomer have him play from behind and force a mistake...on D we have to move him out of the pocket same way teams try and move Brady...I have confidence Arrington and stick to Welker Taliban can stick to Thomas Denard with help can stick to Decker and Collins can trail J Thomas ...let's go Pats!!!

I cannot AGREE more with you-Denver is horrible against the Pass and with Harris,(their best corner all year), out  the Pats should throw 65% and run 35%  - Bills and Colts are NOT good run stoppers. And the Broncos will be expecting run early Pats should switch it up this week and throw to set up the run! The Chargers took too long to switch up their game plan and we know BB is one of the best at adjusting during the game-go Pats!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Denver is more susceptible to the pass than the run, they have a couple of massive defensive tackles that clog the middle.  That said you'll have to run off tackle at the ends, at the pass rushers, run right at them and use the counter runs to get them going side to side.  They are not weak in any area.

We're going to have to pass to win, but we still have to run a fair amount, even when it gets tough, I would guess rush about the same amount as when we played them the first time 30+ rushes with all of our backs.  

Teams at this point of the playoffs are too good to beat with a one dimensional attack

You're becoming quite interesting to read these days wozzy. I have for some time viewed your claims regarding D-hogs with high regard. There are few here who appear to have a handle on that part of the team like you do.

I think you're right. We will run on them, but the greater damage could well come from the pass in this one. I really think when they watch film they are going to get a bit wobbly in the knees when they see Blount's escapades of recent weeks, and that may cause them to over compensate for the potential knife in the heart from him on the ground.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Key to beating the Broncos:  Follow the game plan that BB has his staff put together and make adjustments as game situations dictate.  Not trying to be a smarta_ss but this has been one asonishing caching job by BB this year. 

In BB we trust (as a HC).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Anybody think a Hand-off to Blount, and a Pitch back to Brady, early in the game will work?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

UNLEss.......   Denver is onto it.    Meaning,  Denver knows that Brady is itching to throw the ball.   They know they have lost a CB.  they know that Patriots offense is capable of going spread in a heartbeat....  and have shown this tendency over and over.  They will be gearing for it and expecting it.  I don't mind play action to start the game but throw short off it.  don't go homerun until you are into the game and get the safeties up tackling running backs.  long incompletions suck.

Therefore , continue with a healthy mix.  Make them tackle Blount and vereen.  2 completely different runners ...both tough to bring down.  throw screens to Blount using vereen as a decoy.  Get some completions to hoo-man early.  Always give Brady the checkdowns to avoid sacks.  Maybe Get thompkins down the sideline... take the shots but do it at the right time. Be patient.  Be creative with the running game . Hand it off to Edelman.  See if Blount can throw the ball.  I wouldn't be surprised if he had a good arm.  Half back option pass would look real good to me in this game.    

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

UNLEss.......   Denver is onto it.    Meaning,  Denver knows that Brady is itching to throw the ball.   They know they have lost a CB.  they know that Patriots offense is capable of going spread in a heartbeat....  and have shown this tendency over and over.  They will be gearing for it and expecting it.  I don't mind play action to start the game but throw short off it.  don't go homerun until you are into the game and get the safeties up tackling running backs.  long incompletions suck.

Therefore , continue with a healthy mix.  Make them tackle Blount and vereen.  2 completely different runners ...both tough to bring down.  throw screens to Blount using vereen as a decoy.  Get some completions to hoo-man early.  Always give Brady the checkdowns to avoid sacks.  Maybe Get thompkins down the sideline... take the shots but do it at the right time. Be patient.  Be creative with the running game . Hand it off to Edelman.  See if Blount can throw the ball.  I wouldn't be surprised if he had a good arm.  Half back option pass would look real good to me in this game.    

Like the Half-back option, use the run to your advantage. Deception.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Going into the game against the Ravens, everyone had an opinion regarding how the Patriots had to attack the Ravens in order to win, yet, many did not give them a chance to win at Baltimore.  Going into the game against the Bills, same thing, how to attack the Bills, granted they were expected to win but did so running.  Going into the game against the Colts, everyone opined on how the Pats should attack them, they ran all over them and won comfortably.  Going into the game against the Broncos we are seeing the same thing.  Lots of opinions.  Only one opinion that counts will be BB's and if it works we will all be very happy.  He will have the Pats morphing into whatever type of team is needed to win Sunday.  I like the Pats chances and I think even the Broncos don't know what to expect.

Conversely, we know what the Broncos and Manning will do.. attack with the pass and even toss TD passes from the 1/2 yard line.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to freediro's comment:

A few times in the Colts game Brady audibles out of a play call and the we ran it, therefore depending what the Broncos want to show us that will determine our play calling. If Brady has to audible into a passing play because they stack the box so be it. We may not have the weapons we had in the past, but I thought DA and Edelman did a GREAT job this week. If we could gt production out of Dobson and Collie that's even better. 

That fact may not have resonated with some folks here.  After the game Saturday, many players on the offense noted Brady audibled out of many pass plays at the line and they ran it.  This fact goes completely against the rhetoric of Rusty and his belief all Brady wants to do is pass, pass, pass.  Brady does whatever is needed to win.  Not every play works which is what some here do not accept or see.  Therefore, when they see a pass play, and it fails, it is Brady's fault, when they see a run play that works, they are happy not realizing Brady may have audibled to that run.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

In response to coolade2's comment:

UNLEss.......   Denver is onto it.    Meaning,  Denver knows that Brady is itching to throw the ball.   They know they have lost a CB.  they know that Patriots offense is capable of going spread in a heartbeat.... 

Like the Half-back option, use the run to your advantage. Deception.

How can you make that statement?  Since when has Brady indicated he is "itching" to throw the ball?  Was Brady "itching" to throw the ball against the Colts? How many pass plays were attempted into the end zone last Saturday.  I do not recall a single one.  Manning, on the other hand, threw as soon as the Broncos were inside the 5 with his two passing TDs going a total of 6 yards combined.  Who is the pass happy QB of the two?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

Good point AGC!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

You're becoming quite interesting to read these days wozzy. I have for some time viewed your claims regarding D-hogs with high regard. There are few here who appear to have a handle on that part of the team like you do.

I think you're right. We will run on them, but the greater damage could well come from the pass in this one. I really think when they watch film they are going to get a bit wobbly in the knees when they see Blount's escapades of recent weeks, and that may cause them to over compensate for the potential knife in the heart from him on the ground.

agree the potential is there for the pass to work better.

I do believe Denver is much weaker in pass defense than run defesne but we know NE will have some sort of balance on offense. The Pats will do damage with the run and the pass and hopefully it will be a bit unpredictable. Due to that Denver will make small adjustments not to be vulnerable in either area and this will losen up the run defense a bit. Maybe they will tell the safties not to bite as fast on what looks like a running play.

Probably means the Denver defesne will look decent and balanced vs the run and pass for some stretch...before the breakdown happens. 

Also the 'second level' might be easier to reach for the RB's but there will be safeties there to maybe stop the longer runs. So more 10-15 yard runs and fewer huge runs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Agree. And what to lead with is the big question. With Chris Harris out with an AcL, that leaves the old Quinten Jammer and a rook at corner. couple that with Von miller out, lack of pass rush, and I could easily see the pats exploiting denvers pass defense. Use the pass this week to set up the run. 

however, this presents additional challenges, one of which is controlling TOP and keeping horsecface ofmthe field. second, will Dobson or KT show up And help Edelman and Danny? 

In the end, I don't think the pats can win using the reverse from last week...2 passes for every run, but they need to pass a bit more because Denver's D can be had here. Maybe we see a healthier dose of Vereen? Run Vereen on the edges and pass to him plenty? 

Sections
Shortcuts