next years #1 draft choice?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

next years #1 draft choice?

Austin Seferian-Jenkins | 6'6, 267 pounds | Tight end | Washington | Junior

2012 Stats: 69 catches, 852 yards, 7 touchdowns

He's only been at the University of Washington for two seasons, but Austin Seferian-Jenkins is already rewriting the record books. Seferian-Jenkins already holds the records for most career receptions, yards and touchdowns for a tight end in school history, and he's not done yet.

In an offense that is loaded with potential but hasn't quite produced as expected, Seferian-Jenkins has lived up to the billing after being a talented recruit a few year ago.

There is one thing impeding Seferian-Jenkins from further progress, however. Back in April, he was arrested for a DUI. He has been suspended indefinitely from the program, and his status will be uncertain until he appears in court. That incident clouds his immediate future, but provided he stays out of further trouble, Seferian-Jenkins should maintain his enormous NFL potential.

What he does well

Seferian-Jenkins immediately jumps off the screen due to his size and how well he moves given that size. He doesn't have blazing speed, but Seferian-Jenkins shows smooth athleticism when running his routes and the explosiveness to get down the field in a hurry. He's even spent time lined up at defensive end, a testament to his athletic versatility.

At 6-feet-6-inches tall and just under 270 pounds, Seferian-Jenkins is massive. He uses that size to his advantage, effectively boxing out defenders and consistently gets advantageous body position all over the field. In many ways, Seferian-Jenkins plays tight end like a low post man in basketball, which makes sense given his background in the sport. He became the 19th athlete to play both football and basketball for Washington.

Seferian-Jenkins' time on the court has helped him understand not only how to gain body position but how to track the football and come down with contested passes. He high-points the football with ease and isn't bothered by contact. Seferian-Jenkins also presents his quarterback with a massive catch radius, which makes him an easy target. He also shows solid body control given his size.

As a blocker, Seferian-Jenkins is willing and able to stick his nose in and be physical. He's at his best in this area when he's able to get out in space and generate some momentum. He's comfortable engaging defenders while on the move and understands how to angle would-be tacklers out of the play.

What he needs to improve on

Seferian-Jenkins' shortcomings are in the details of the game. There were a handful of occasions in which Seferian-Jenkins ran his route a bit short or didn't have the proper awareness of where he was on the field. These was an infrequent occurrence but one that's worth noting.

As a blocker, there are a few areas in which Seferian-Jenkins could improve. For one, he gets pushed off the ball too often and struggles to hold his ground. He doesn't bend quite enough to use his length to his advantage. Most of his struggles as a blocker have come against defensive ends, though. No tight end can be expected to consistently hold off the other team's best pass rusher. But given Seferian-Jenkins' physical ability and size, he has massive upside as a blocker if he can refine his technique a bit.

During the pre-draft process, teams and media alike will pick apart Seferian-Jenkins for his DUI. How he responds int the coming season will show something about his maturity. If he is able to successfully put the issue behind him, it will be a minor negative. It's up to him to prove himself all over again.

Bottom line

Seferian-Jenkins is a balanced tight end who could come into the league and make a difference right away in the NFL. In an age where tight ends are becoming a bigger version of wide receivers, Seferian-Jenkins shows the ability and willingness to block to go along with his talents as a pass catcher. If he stays out of trouble, he could be the next first round tight end.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: next years #1 draft choice?

Living in WA I've seen the guy play a lot. He is the real deal and will likely be a future All Pro at the NFL level. Look for him to go in the Top 15 picks of next years draft if he has a decent 2013 season and stays healthy.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I mentioned ASJ to MB on his 2013 draft thread to watch out for this guy. No doubt about his catching and route running (by TE standards). The good thing about being a basketball player is that he already has good hands, has the mind that is used to remembering and executing plays in crowded small areas and defiintely can cut (defined differently in basketball) to open space.

I will continue to check him out this year but focusing more on his blocking. 

That said, assuming the same reg season result for NWE, ASJ will not be within their reach. If you want a TE, start looking for the third and fourth options in the draft.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

They are not going to get him with the 32nd pick in next year's draft!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

In response to tenace4life's comment:

I see what you did there.

Depending how our rookie WR's play out and how well Gronk comes back, we may not need to draft this guy and could use more help with our D.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

I was looking at

CJ Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa in the 3rd round.  plus i look forward to seeing what Sudfeld can do.  we may not need another TE if he does well.

with enough thrust, pigs fly just fine!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Good choice. Right now he would be a top 20 choice which would require a trade up. Part of me thinks we still have to see what the offense and defense are capable of before discussing draft needs. Seems like Boyd, Bridgewater and McCarron could all be taken in the 1st round and we could see teams trading up to get them. It's not Luck or RG III but many teams will still need franchise QBs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Won't lie, the thought of a two-TE set featuring this guy and Gronk is certainly intriguing. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

Good choice. Right now he would be a top 20 choice which would require a trade up. Part of me thinks we still have to see what the offense and defense are capable of before discussing draft needs. Seems like Boyd, Bridgewater and McCarron could all be taken in the 1st round and we could see teams trading up to get them. It's not Luck or RG III but many teams will still need franchise QBs.

There is a wild card among the QB's... Marcus Mariota.

He has RGIII type skills.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

In response to tenace4life's comment:

:-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I expect and injury prone 5'9" CB out of Rutgers who all the experts predicted would go in the 5th round.

Because BB will always be the smartest guy in the room as long as Tom Brady is under center.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Sorry he's not from Rutgers  :p

But all joking aside lets see what happens when Gronk gets back, what Ballard looks like as well as Sudfeld. We could have 3 TE's with his size, blocking ability, and ability to catch on the roster to began with. I'm more concerned about the receiver core right now. We might be looking at another WR next year similar to all those back to back to back CB years, depending on our rooks of course

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I can't see Kraft allowing a guy with a DUI to be drafted in the first round. There will be a lot of eyes on the pats picks. I hope an animal DE falls to us at 32.  I think the D is developing to the brink of greatness. If jones and Collins turn out to be the real deal we will have a pass rush. It will be time to grab wilfork s successor   I'm hoping armestead lives up to the cfl hype. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

We just might need a cornerback next year!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

If within range, I'd like them to take a shot at McCullers or Tuitt. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

Mariota is currently my favorite QB in the 2014 draft.

Also, Murray, I think, is underrated. Beyond those already mentioned watch out for Fales, Pachall, Fajardo and Carr.

I would not be surprised if 2014 turns out to be the draft with the most number of QBs taken in the first round. I predict at least 5, possibly 6.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Also, Murray, I think, is underrated. Beyond those already mentioned watch out for Fales, Pachall, Fajardo and Carr.

I would not be surprised if 2014 turns out to be the draft with the most number of QBs taken in the first round. I predict at least 5, possibly 6.

The 1983 draft had 6 QBs selected in the 1st round when the league only had 28 teams.

As for the main topic, it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to say what position might be the focus for the #1 pick.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

The 1983 draft had 6 QBs selected in the 1st round when the league only had 28 teams.

As for the main topic, it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to say what position might be the focus for the #1 pick.

You are right. It's way too early. Please excuse us who like to have fun with it anyway.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

We will be drafting two cornerbacks early next year (again) because there is no way Kraft lets Belichick extend Talib or keep a guy that punches cops on the team. Not any longer...not after Hernandez. You can throw a middle linebacker in there too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

We will be drafting two cornerbacks early next year (again) because there is no way Kraft lets Belichick extend Talib or keep a guy that punches cops on the team. Not any longer...not after Hernandez. You can throw a middle linebacker in there too.

Agree with you about Talib and Spikes. If Dennard plays well and stays out of trouble they will let him play out his rookie contract.

Sections
Shortcuts