next years draft- patriots 1st rd pick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

Re: next years draft- patriots 1st rd pick

First round pick?  He'll trade down for more trash and compile future picks he has no intention of ever using.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

It's a little early for this isn't it?  Considering that most draft picks these days don't simple walk in and contribute day 1.  There are exceptions ..... Mayo being one....but for the most part it takes some time and experience.  For those of you inclined check out pro-football-reference.com 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

NE won't draft a safety, and like I said last season, Mays will be a faller anyhow. I hate to say it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade out again, and stack for 2011, when the RPS is adjusted, and they can pick up a host of young talent on the cheap, and get a top ten type player for peanuts compared to what they are paying now.

WR isn't a bad idea, but at this point, I am thinking about breaking my no RB stance, as Maroney isn't exactly dominating and they might want something there going down the road.

They have a ton of young CBs - check
    A handful of young Safeties - check
    A couple young WR - open
    A couple young OL - open
    Nothing at OLB in the pipe - wide open
    Hopefully a locked up line - a little open
    Openings at TE - open
    A crew of again RBs - open

OLB
    OL
    RB
    WR
    TE
    DL

Are needs going down the road.

That would make a player like Sergio Kindle look interesting. Bt he hasn't done much this season. I eagerly watch George Selvie. I wouldn't be surprised to see NE tap the Wolverines again and kick the tires on Graham.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Hey Z, I just posted this thought in another discussion, but I think a ton of players are going to come out this year who might have been inclined to stay, exactly because of the likely rookie salary cap in 2011.

The second round could be stacked with borderline first rounders. Imagine if all the players had come out this year who ended up staying. Spikes, Mays, Gresham, etc.

It is likely to be a crazy draft this year, since the rookie salary cap is preferred by players union and the owners.

This could be a crazy rebuilding year.

Just curious, what do you think of Gresham and/or Jahvid Best on the Patriots?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I am very high on Best.  Like everything he does

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

love Brandon Spikes, will have to move up to get him, tho we are looking a lot like we'll be picking 20-24 again and not 31-32.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

I don't like the Patriots history of drafting WR's. They need the help in other areas more, obviously linebacker.

Let's also not forget NC's Tate will be available to brought onto the active roster in a few weeks. I think it's week 6 or 7. This guy could be stud. He was originally supposed to be a 1st round pick prior to the knee injury.

This would be a huge positive if he could make a solid contribution to the team this year. The wide receiever position is certainly not a strong as many of us thought it would be. I know it's early, but I don't like what I have seen from Galloway so far. Maybe he gets on the same page as Brady, but age may be a factor.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I too have seen nothing from Galloway so far.  I hope it changes, but I have seen nothing so far to indicate it will.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

The Patriots absolutely need a gamebreaking RB like AP. They seem to be afraid to run, so they will never draft one, but a guy can dream.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

I truly believe that the Pats will exercise all of their 1st and 2nd round picks in this upcoming draft rather than trading them for future picks.  Normally, I'd be inclined to think that they'd trade back under normal circumstances.  However, they already have two 1st rounders in the 2011 draft making the probability of wanting a third #1 that year highly unlikely.  Also worth noting is the number of potential free agents both in '10 & '11.  With so many players likely to leave (there's no way we could ever sign them all, nor should we), that we will need to fill those roster spots.

As far as what direction I see the draft going....

1st round:  LT - some people will bring up the fact that we have Vollmer whom we selected in the 2nd round this past draft.  But I feel that he's better suited to play RT predominantly while filling in at LT purely as either a backup or for situational purposes (such as plays in the endzone).  Kaczur although not a free agent, could be a potential cap casualty since his cap figure should shoot up to 5mil next season.

2nd round:  RB - we have four RB's currently, three of which are over 32 yrs old.  Faulk is a free agent and may stick around on a low money/short-term deal, otherwise we probably have seen the last of him.  Morris, Taylor, & Maroney are free agents after next season, and neither of those guys may be back.  I think we target the best available RB with the first of our 2nd rounders.

2nd round:  OG - two of our starting guards Neal & Mankins are free agents after the season.  I have to believe that Mankins is re-signed unless he wishes to be payed like a top 5 player at his position.  Therefore this could be another major need that most likely will be addressed in the draft rather than free agency.

2nd round: CB - Bodden was signed to only a one year deal and was looking to cash in under a potentially uncapped year, so he may be gone.  Springs is up there in age so he's not a long-term answer either.  My gut feeling is that after going offense with their first 3 picks, that they'd have to keep trying to improve their defense (in particular their seconday which still remains suspect despite the changes in personnel).

I also wouldn't rule out the Pats trading away their lower 2nd rounder for an established player (most likely a LB).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

First off it looks like this draft will be much like the 2008 draft as far as impact players go.  The wild card is for the under classman to come out before the new player agreement is signed.  Things could change dramatically.

My wants, needs, desires is a LT and move Light to RT.  Light's arms are on the short side and is the reason why gets handles by some of these DEs.  But I don't see that as being likely, so onward.  If their player isn't there I can see them trading out of the 1st round again.  I don't see anything wrong with that.  Get the players you want that fit the system.  On the other hand if a player comes within reach I can see them trading up to get that player.  But who?

We'll probably will be drafting in the 20's somewhere.  So what's there?  A CB might be the pick.  You have Brandon Ghee and Perrish Cox that are 6ft, 200lb, 4.4 range.  Gresham would be in the area for a TE and that's about it.  I think it's easy to see the Pats moving out of the 1st round as things stand now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

spikes or a RB

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaacee. Show jaacee's posts

PROBABLY  WAIT UNTIL '09 SEASON IS OVER BUT- MAYS, SPIKES, OR BERRY, BUT- GET SPIKES, THEN ONE OF THE OTHER 2, RIGHT AFTER, WITH THE NEXT CHOICE, EVEN NECESSARY TO TRADE UP.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Kaczur will in no way be cut.  They just extended him this off season.  The cap hit would be too much.  There is zero chance he is cut after this season.
    Vollmer can play both tackle spots.  I agree we need another OT, but either RT or LT will do.
    An OG will be added most likely unless the guy we got that was in Pit steps up since he signed a 3 yr deal

In Response to Re: next years draft- patriots 1st rd pick:
    I truly believe that the Pats will exercise all of their 1st and 2nd round picks in this upcoming draft rather than trading them for future picks.  Normally, I'd be inclined to think that they'd trade back under normal circumstances.  However, they already have two 1st rounders in the 2011 draft making the probability of wanting a third #1 that year highly unlikely.  Also worth noting is the number of potential free agents both in '10 & '11.  With so many players likely to leave (there's no way we could ever sign them all, nor should we), that we will need to fill those roster spots. As far as what direction I see the draft going.... 1st round:  LT - some people will bring up the fact that we have Vollmer whom we selected in the 2nd round this past draft.  But I feel that he's better suited to play RT predominantly while filling in at LT purely as either a backup or for situational purposes (such as plays in the endzone).  Kaczur although not a free agent, could be a potential cap casualty since his cap figure should shoot up to 5mil next season. 2nd round:  RB - we have four RB's currently, three of which are over 32 yrs old.  Faulk is a free agent and may stick around on a low money/short-term deal, otherwise we probably have seen the last of him.  Morris, Taylor, & Maroney are free agents after next season, and neither of those guys may be back.  I think we target the best available RB with the first of our 2nd rounders. 2nd round:  OG - two of our starting guards Neal & Mankins are free agents after the season.  I have to believe that Mankins is re-signed unless he wishes to be payed like a top 5 player at his position.  Therefore this could be another major need that most likely will be addressed in the draft rather than free agency. 2nd round: CB - Bodden was signed to only a one year deal and was looking to cash in under a potentially uncapped year, so he may be gone.  Springs is up there in age so he's not a long-term answer either.  My gut feeling is that after going offense with their first 3 picks, that they'd have to keep trying to improve their defense (in particular their seconday which still remains suspect despite the changes in personnel). I also wouldn't rule out the Pats trading away their lower 2nd rounder for an established player (most likely a LB).
    Posted by angel3781

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

don't waste picks on RB this coming draft. the research i did a couple weeks ago showed that no RB in the draft was comperable to any of the good RBs in the NFL already. if it's a bad draft class for RBs, I'd hold out.

then again, if some of the really talented RBs decide to go into the draft, then that might change priorities.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

First off, the Pats will probably trade their first round pick, likely as not the #32 pick, down into the second round, because those trades are so lucrative!

First day Patriot WR picks generally haven't panned out so well around here.  The exceptions are all late rounders:  Julian Edelman was a seventh rounder, Troy Brown was a seventh rounder.  WR is a position where experienced, awesome receivers are sometimes just hanging ripe on the vine at Oakland (Moss) and at Miami (Welker).  Why draft to your weakness?  Go draft an awesome strong 310 pound defensive lineman, use him productively for a few years, and then trade him to Oakland for a potentially top-of-first-round pick.  Lately, Oakland is known for its boxing greats. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston006. Show boston006's posts

BB will not Draft a W/R in ths First Round...  The PATS need Help now with the Front Line... 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bergzilla. Show Bergzilla's posts

We could get Crabtree as an undrafted free agent next year....what a maroon!!!

Sections
Shortcuts