NFL Broadcast Rules Clarification

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

NFL Broadcast Rules Clarification

I live in Chicago.  I was hoping to be able to actually catch the Pats on my TV at home instead of streaming since they are getting the Nationally televised CBS game at 1 pm.  According to all the coverage maps I see the game is going to be blacked out on CBS where I am because of "NFL rules".  WTF are the rules governing this crap.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: NFL Broadcast Rules Clarification

BS that's what it is.  Dish, Direct TV, Cable it's all BS...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I get that the Bears are playing at the same time on Fox, but that isn't sufficient.  For example according to these maps Fox will be airing a game in Cincy during the Pats/Bengals game on CBS.  What gives? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

I'm stuck with the Ravens vs. the Fish down here in SW Virginia.  For some reason, firstrow has been awful this year so it looks like I'm going to the bars.

BTW, I know that when the local team (Skins) play at the same time as a CBS game, the CBS game is always blacked out.  It's BS. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

I'm stuck with the Ravens vs. the Fish down here in SW Virginia.  For some reason, firstrow has been awful this year so it looks like I'm going to the bars.

BTW, I know that when the local team (Skins) play at the same time as a CBS game, the CBS game is always blacked out.  It's BS. 

Same here.  When the Ravens are on, all I get here in Maryland or no game at all in the same time slot.  I have to hope they play an NFC team on FOX, but, if the Redskins are playing, the local channel shows that game.  Rrrrrrrrr!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

There are a few Pats/RedSox bars in Chicago with NFL ticket.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

I'm not talking about a bar that has the game on. I'm talking about bars where everyone down to the bartenders are in Pats jerseys.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I appreciate the stuff about bars in Chicago guys.  I am well aware of this fact :).  It still isn't clear to me why the CBS early game is blacked out in Chicago while the Bears play on Fox, but the Fox early game in Cincy is not blacked out while the Bengals play on CBS. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I live in Chicago.  I was hoping to be able to actually catch the Pats on my TV at home instead of streaming since they are getting the Nationally televised CBS game at 1 pm.  According to all the coverage maps I see the game is going to be blacked out on CBS where I am because of "NFL rules".  WTTF are the rules governing this crap.

Where do you live? Just go to a bar. When I first moved there, I avoided Direct TV and thought I'd be fine hitting bars at noon on Sundays with friends watching games, but they got crowded quick (and drink and food tabs added up), so I finally broke and got Direct TV for Sundays.

But, there should be plenty of options if you live in Chicago. Place is a bar heaven.

Get yourself a bloody mary and kick back and watch the Pats.

[/QUOTE]
     I love the direct tv, and you can watch all the games if you want. yes It's a little pricey , but if you figure what you could spend at a bar, not any more.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from saskpatsfan. Show saskpatsfan's posts

Man I feel bad for you guys down there. I'm up in Canada, nearly 2000 miles away and I get every single Patriot game without sunday ticket. One of the few television providers up where I live has CBS, FOX and NBC all from the boston affiliate so I have had every single game for the last 10 years. 

Seems silly its easier for me to watch a game up here than it is for you guys closer to home.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

In response to NEGAME2's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Crazy expensive considering the first few years it was $79.00!

It's worth it though, and every few years we call and complain and they comp us a year.

I live in Chicago.  I was hoping to be able to actually catch the Pats on my TV at home instead of streaming since they are getting the Nationally televised CBS game at 1 pm.  According to all the coverage maps I see the game is going to be blacked out on CBS where I am because of "NFL rules".  WTTF are the rules governing this crap.

Where do you live? Just go to a bar. When I first moved there, I avoided Direct TV and thought I'd be fine hitting bars at noon on Sundays with friends watching games, but they got crowded quick (and drink and food tabs added up), so I finally broke and got Direct TV for Sundays.

But, there should be plenty of options if you live in Chicago. Place is a bar heaven.

Get yourself a bloody mary and kick back and watch the Pats.

[/QUOTE]
     I love the direct tv, and you can watch all the games if you want. yes It's a little pricey , but if you figure what you could spend at a bar, not any more.

[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

In response to saskpatsfan's comment:

Man I feel bad for you guys down there. I'm up in Canada, nearly 2000 miles away and I get every single Patriot game without sunday ticket. One of the few television providers up where I live has CBS, FOX and NBC all from the boston affiliate so I have had every single game for the last 10 years. 

Seems silly its easier for me to watch a game up here than it is for you guys closer to home.

and I thought we paid a high price...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Now that's just plain strange.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

[QUOTE]

Same here.  When the Ravens are on, all I get here in Maryland or no game at all in the same time slot.  I have to hope they play an NFC team on FOX, but, if the Redskins are playing, the local channel shows that game.  Rrrrrrrrr!

[/QUOTE]

Same thing on giants playing at  1pm in nyc

and CBS Philly has the ravens

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I appreciate the stuff about bars in Chicago guys.  I am well aware of this fact :).  It still isn't clear to me why the CBS early game is blacked out in Chicago while the Bears play on Fox, but the Fox early game in Cincy is not blacked out while the Bengals play on CBS. 

There's a super long article on wikipedia that explains the rules.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_on_television#Television_policies

Looks like there's a rule that no other game can be aired at the same time that the local home team's game is being broadcast if the local home team is both playing at home and has sold out.  This is why all other games are blacked out in Chicago while the Bears home game is being broadcast.  Cincy is not blacked out because it is the local home team playing at home and sold out.   In fact, the Cincy game is the only game that can be on in Cincy while the Bengals are playing if the Bengals are playing at home and are sold out. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

You using first row.co?

Rust I have been trying that .co site for two weeks now and it never connects says server unavailable. I am in Africa and have to use the http://firstrownow.eu/sport/american-football.html site, which is horrible this year. What is the exact site your talking about please? Thanks.

Update-disregaurd I found it. Thanks Rust I will try it this weekend.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Funny you get all the US channels from Boston in Regina (that's where you are, right?).  Here in Toronto, Rogers uses the Buffalo and (for some channels) the Detroit feeds for US stations, but the Pats are still almost always being shown on one of the local Toronto stations (CTV, often).  Just to be safe, I purchased the Rogers sports package, which for $39.99 a month gives you every NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA game, plus a bunch of US college football games.  That's a bit pricey, but it's not the $79.99 someone quoted for Direct TV above.

One of the cool things the NFL sells to people outside the US (it's not available in the US) is Game Pass (costs about $280 per year).  That's very much like the US-available Game Rewind (has all the games archived so you can watch them anytime in full, condensed, and coaches film versions) except that it also streams all games live (except for those that are being locally broadcast). I bought that too, mostly because I like watching the coaches film.  The one thing I don't like about it, though, is it's Flash based so I can't watch it on my iPad (Game Rewind is apparently viewable without Flash and therefore iPad accessible.) 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I'm going to the game. It's going to pour. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

Sections
Shortcuts