NFL changing of the guard at QB.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

NFL changing of the guard at QB.

The QB position looks to be passing a milestone over the next few years.

Manning (38), Brady (37) Palmer (35) and Brees (35) are all close to the end.

Eli (33), Rivers (33), Roethlisburger (32), Romo (34) and Vick (34) are close on their heels.

And Rodgers (31), Flacco (29), Ryan (29) and Cutler (31) are heading into the home stretch quickly.

The last decade and a half has been a golden age for QBs. As that age fades are the new guys going to reach those previous heights? I doubt it.

I just don't see the same excellence in Wilson, Kaepernick, Dalton, RGIII or Luck as I've been seeing over the recent era.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: NFL changing of the guard at QB.

Luck and Wilson will be great

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

There just aren't any mega superstar guys on the tomorrow list.  Happy days for future running backs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There just aren't any mega superstar guys on the tomorrow list.  Happy days for future running backs.

[/QUOTE]

+1 and defenses. We will see lower scoring/higher TO rate too

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Oh...I think Luck is prettyt darned good...I bet he's on the short list to be a HOF'r when we revisit this in a decade

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Oh...I think Luck is prettyt darned good...I bet he's on the short list to be a HOF'r when we revisit this in a decade

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  He has looked great so far.  Maybe he'll start reaching that next level of awesome in the coming couple of years.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Babe, I do think we ARE seeing the same level with Luck - certainly at this point in his development. Wilson is not at that level and I dont think he will be but he is very good. Maybe Thiesman is a better comparison with Wilson. A SB winning caliber QB who is not the reason the team is great but is very good and brings out some of the best in the players around him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

The thrust of babes comment are right on, but as with others, I see Luck as being in the conversation for being great.

Wilson has shown he can make great plays, he has yo keep winning SBs 

But this brings us to another point, if other teams don't have great, great Qbs, we won't have to have one either?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Manning is pretty beat up and it's possible that he could take the gas pipe. 

I don't see Brady as particularly beat up at this point.  He has had one ACL injury fixed six years ago and his throwing hand got dinged in the middle of last year.  Brady has the fastest release in the NFL, the numbers show that blitzing fails badly against Brady versus coverage, and Brady usually has lots of open targets, in part because his hurryup is so effective.   So Brady doesn't take a lot of pounding.  Also Brady weighs so much more than Michael Vick that he doesn't get hurt as much when he is hit.   Brady is serious about being able to play the game until 40 or better. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I just don't see the greatness in Luck so many of you claim. He reminds me of Eli - hot and cold.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Babe you may be right....though I think Wilson and Luck will be very good and maybe Kap....

If Luck wins two Super Bowls like Eli has that will be a pretty strong career....

It's hard to see how guys will develop - to me an even more interesting question is whether the mobile QB will gain more dominance. It's always been a question mark due to durability and injury. 

Rodgers seems to have the balance about right but even Rodgers and Big Ben have had their issues staying healthy. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I just don't see the greatness in Luck so many of you claim. He reminds me of Eli - hot and cold.

[/QUOTE]

Always room for disagreement, but he gets crunched behind a sub par Oline and had brought teams back to win games. I think he could be better than manning. The team he came to was 1-15. ? He may be cursed with making his team win too much too soon

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Always room for disagreement, but he gets crunched behind a sub par Oline and had brought teams back to win games. I think he could be better than manning. The team he came to was 1-15. ? He may be cursed with making his team win too much too soon

[/QUOTE]

That 2-14 was pretty much a bag job.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Look for some excellent coach to make a Koepernick, RGIII, Dalton, Wilson, into some freakshow 3x SB MVP.  Vick-in-his-prime types but with better game management control by some Head Coach...and forget about it.  They'll spend the $ elsewhere, like on a freak D and sick RB and TE and 3 B (not + or - WRS)...and just wait for the Championships.  It'll be a shortchanged $ Steve Young, IN-sane D, Superstar RB, 1 pretty decent TE, 3 B average WRs, and that 1 dual-threat QB that likes short-middle high percentage passes...yet can scoot it for that drive-extending play when pressured/yet is reeled in just slightly enough by a game managing non-negative + HC....and forg'ta'boutit.

...It WILL be 3 SB Championships for the next team to do that to positively-manage a dual-threat high percentage game managing young QB. 

^ THAT is where the NFL is heading...and we'll ALL cry the very same tears of blood to the slowed down Johnny U pocket passers of yesteryear...  Until we do it all again when the next gen of gamers hits their prime and turns in to "A bit too slow pocket passers," in their late 30's.  And again...  And again.  And again.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

Actually a good OP IMO--never thought about it but when PM, Brady,Brees, go wheres the elite "Pocket Passers" other than possibly Luck? Kopernick and Wilson are more scramblers and are not elite IMO - is it possible we have been witnessing 2 of the best QBs ever to play the game during the past 12 years or so-me thinks yes?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Babe, I do think we ARE seeing the same level with Luck - certainly at this point in his development. Wilson is not at that level and I dont think he will be but he is very good. Maybe Thiesman is a better comparison with Wilson. A SB winning caliber QB who is not the reason the team is great but is very good and brings out some of the best in the players around him.

[/QUOTE]

I think Wilson reminds me more of a Young Brees than a Theismann. He just won his Superbowl a little earlier in his career.

Sections
Shortcuts