NFL fines Brandon Meriweather $20,000

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WichitaLineman666. Show WichitaLineman666's posts

NFL fines Brandon Meriweather $20,000

NFL fines Brandon Meriweather $20,000

Carolina Panthers v Chicago Bears Getty Images

Brandon Meriweather has received another hefty fine from the NFL.

Last year, when he was on the Patriots, Meriweather’s fine for a helmet-to-helmet hit was $50,000, which was later reduced on appeal to $40,000. This year, as a safety for the Bears, Meriweather’s fine is $20,000.

Vaughn McClure of the Chicago Tribune reports that Meriweather was fined the 20 grand for a helmet-to-helmet hit against the Panthers on Sunday.

Meriweather, who had been singled out after the game for trying too hard to take receivers’ heads off and not hard enough to simply make a tackle, plans to appeal the fine.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Re: NFL fines Brandon Meriweather $20,000

Just Brandon being Brandon....atleast he CAN hit the reciever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

The Bears should be happy it wasn't their own guy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

Nice! I forgot about that play where he took Chung (or was it McCourty)out. It still makes me laugh.

In Response to Re: NFL fines Brandon Meriweather $20,000:
    [QUOTE]The Bears should be happy it wasn't their own guy.
    Posted by Philskiw1[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Here's the hit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as8ELlk5L80

And good grief, I know Meri's sorta an id!ot and all...But WhatInTH are you supposed to do?  You're already SO low, and the wideout's body too is low and edging forward...soooo?  Do you just in that split second, decide not to hit the guy, within the context of the fact that with-IN that just FRACTION of 1/4 second, the way he just MIGHT turn, and in the way you're trying to hit the guy with the ball, MAYBE just maybe, your 2 helmets might make even ANY contact whatsoever???  So...you just have to go so completely low, that your only unfineable course of action is to dive and flop towards his feet, in the hopes that it'll be enough to trip him up?  Hopefully this professional football player won't be good enough to jump over you, or is enough of an athlete to stop his momentum on time, and skirt around you, the flopping defending...  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WichitaLineman666. Show WichitaLineman666's posts

that was one of the more avoidable helmet-to-helmet hits- i don't know what you are seeing

[QUOTE]Here's the hit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as8ELlk5L80 And good grief, I know Meri's sorta an id!ot and all...But WhatInTH are you supposed to do?  You're already SO low, and the wideout's body too is low and edging forward...soooo?  Do you just in that split second, decide not to hit the guy, within the context of the fact that with-IN that just FRACTION of 1/4 second, the way he just MIGHT turn, and in the way you're trying to hit the guy with the ball, MAYBE just maybe, your 2 helmets might make even ANY contact whatsoever???  So...you just have to go so completely low, that your only unfineable course of action is to dive and flop towards his feet, in the hopes that it'll be enough to trip him up?  Hopefully this professional football player won't be good enough to jump over you, or is enough of an athlete to stop his momentum on time, and skirt around you, the flopping defending...  
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

I liked how Steve Smith poped back up after the hit. He's a true football player. He's been on some bad teams but he's sticking it out and now he's got Cam Newton throwing the ball to him, only big things to come from those two. As for Brandon, he just seems to never learn. He always goes for the head and so the NFL will continue to fine him for it. I know the Pat's don't have the best safetys but im really glad we cut him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

How much was his fine for sucking?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]How much was his fine for sucking?
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

He collected that fine from Kraft over the past 4 years.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogbones. Show dogbones's posts

its either helmets or guns.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

Just goes to show you can't teach an old "Yo, Dawg" new tricks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Wow, I thought his hit on Heap was bad. He put his head down like a bull and rammed Smith as hard as he could. He should honestly be suspended for that one. He lined Smith up and rammed him with his helmet not even attempting to make it look like he was going after a tackle. Meri is going to crack his own spine one of these days.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

"crack"...lol..."crack" in the same sentence with "Meri"...what a coincidence...LMAO!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I think it's funny, $50,000 while on the Pats, $20,000 while on the Bears. Hmmmm, double standard or what?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

[QUOTE]I liked how Steve Smith poped back up after the hit. He's a true football player. He's been on some bad teams but he's sticking it out and now he's got Cam Newton throwing the ball to him, only big things to come from those two. As for Brandon, he just seems to never learn. He always goes for the head and so the NFL will continue to fine him for it. I know the Pat's don't have the best safetys but im really glad we cut him.
    Posted by myaim45[/QUOTE]
       +1

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

I'd rather have a man getting a 20,000 fine for almost taking a guy's head off than somebody dancing around missing guys like Brown and Barrett. We got a couple of ballet dancers who don't need to worry about any fines since all they seem to tackle is air. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

For all the crap you people put on Merriweather you are so silent about the incompetance of the safety play with the exception of Chung. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

Wish we had a nasty bad boy like him on the Patriots!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Phillipston. Show Phillipston's posts

In a sense I agree with those saying that he should be fined, however, the problem is that it's the only way he knows how to tackle.  The league has taken away his mojo.  That's why Bill had to get rid of him.  He's a cash register for the NFL when it comes to fining players. 

If the sorriest excuse for a rule emphasis wouldn't have been handed down by the rules commitee we would have won in 2006, and 2007. 

Bill had his enforcer taken away, and was challenged to make his team look cute.  Meanwhile, other teams can get away with on field murder, like the Ryan Clark hit on Welker. 

I just wish Bill would have given an extra few bucks out of his own pocket to a guy like this to absorb the necessary fines to keep the other team honest.

Perhaps that's Bill's problem, he respects the game too much to actually cheat the game itself.  Play by the rules.  Know your job.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

hey guys up top this isnt the soccer or flag football forum its ma violent mans game wish our replacements for him hit like that

Sections
Shortcuts