NFL Network Mistake

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

NFL Network Mistake

I don't typically get all caught up in statistics, regarding football, but I just had to comment on the misinformation that the NFL Network provided in last night's post-game program.  They introduced Alex Smith as being the quarterback with the best winning percentage since 2011.  The point was made that he was even better than Tom Brady and their stats were put up on the screen.  It showed that Smith was 22-5-1 and Brady was 27-7.  Along with those records they also put up each players winning percentage.  I don't remember what they were, exactly, but they did have Smith's as being just a bit better than Brady's.  I wasn't convinced so I broke out the old calculator and did some basic math.  Smith...22/28 and Brady...27/34.  Turns out they were wrong.  Brady's winning percentage is .794 and Smith's is .785.  Not an earth-shaking difference, I realize, but the fact is that  Brady does have a higher win percentage.  In fact, they also had A. Rodger's numbers up and even his was higher than Smith's.  I just wish people in such influential positions would take the time to make sure that they have gotten their information correct.  They only end up looking very foolish when they don't. 

Everybody have a great day!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Re: NFL Network Mistake

Their big mistake is having a Thursday night game. All 3 this year have stunk.  

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123six. Show 123six's posts

Influential position?  Here is another one from last night (ESPN scroll) that I thought was funny...had to rewind and read a couple times:

'Oakland has 4 players with 20 HR in one season for the first time in franchise history since 2004'

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Their big mistake is having a Thursday night game. All 3 this year have stunk.  

+1, 4 day layover makes for horrible games and is dangerous for the players. They should only do it the first week and Thanksgiving. Speaking of Thanksgiving, with all due respect to Dallas and Det but they should rotate the games yearly (say the top 2 teams from each conference from the previous years regular season records) get the home game against a divisional rival or one o the divisional winners from another conference. Additionally the teams that play get their bye week the week before (incentive to win the right to play the game) as a mid season bye is always desired and you'd get two good size breaks before the game and 10 days after to get healthy. Seems like a good way to insure competitive games and give incentive to want to win and get in the turkey games.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

That's probably why they have 3 thanksgiving games.  You can rotate teams in and out of that game.   I agree with you Dallas ans Detroit  shouldn't  have locks on tht game.  But this gets argued every year. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

I didn't see the stats, but they might not be wrong about Smith vs. Brady.   Usually a tie is considered 50% of a Win and 50% of a Loss.   The way you've calculated it you've made the tie 100% Loss.

So, I'd give a 22-5-1 record a 80.36 "Winning Pct".  That's better than 79.41.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

But a tie is not 50% of a win. If they wanted to be correct they should have said a better losing percentage. But that doesn't have the same cache!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

But a tie is not 50% of a win. If they wanted to be correct they should have said a better losing percentage. But that doesn't have the same cache!

By that rationale a tie is not 50% of a loss either.

Here's what Pro Football Reference says about stats it compiles for coaches:

"After 1972, ties are counted as half-wins and half-losses.  Prior, the league didn't count them in W-L% calculations."

So, if a tie is a half-win his percentage is 80.36%.

If you don't consider the tie at all his percentage jumps to 81.48%.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotrain. Show patriotrain's posts

In response to FrankDooley's comment:

Regardless, Alex Smith is very underrated.  He does a great job not turning it over every week.

He also does a nice job of knownig when to run and knowing when to throw. Andrew Luck has that as well.

Smith is one of the best game managers in the NFL.  Sort of reminds of when Orton filled in for Grossman with the Bears back in the day.  Grossman sucked, the fans knew it, Orton came in and just protected the ball and moved the sticks and was something like 10-2 in place of Grossman.

hey rusty, thanks for the info, we watched the game also, nobody cares about grossman or orton, they both s*cked.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Smith isn't that great. He gets sacked often.....why? He isn't mobile.  He doesn't cough it up alot as far as fumble,s but holds onto the ball too long. He also has trouble throwing the long ball.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotrain. Show patriotrain's posts

In response to patriotrain's comment:

Regardless, Alex Smith is very underrated.  He does a great job not turning it over every week.

He also does a nice job of knownig when to run and knowing when to throw. Andrew Luck has that as well.

Smith is one of the best game managers in the NFL.  Sort of reminds of when Orton filled in for Grossman with the Bears back in the day.  Grossman sucked, the fans knew it, Orton came in and just protected the ball and moved the sticks and was something like 10-2 in place of Grossman.

hey rusty, thanks for the info, we watched the game also, nobody cares about grossman or orton, they both s*cked.

Sounds great, BUstchise.

Hey, can you tell us why you always show up when I am currently bludgeoning Bustchise in another thread?

bawahhah

Oh, the joy of exposing morons.

as opposed to someone who is here all day long, whos the moron?

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts