NFL Playbook - AFC Edition "BB's Defense is outdated and the league has caught up to it."

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

NFL Playbook - AFC Edition "BB's Defense is outdated and the league has caught up to it."

I was watching NFL Network's AFC Playbook with Brian Baldinger, Shanon Sharp and Joe Theisman last night. Theisman & Sharp are picking the Patriots to win this week and "Baldy" is going with the Titans. His reasoning is that BB's "bend but don't break" defensive philosophy was "outdated" and the rest of the league has "figured it out." I was astounded to hear this from him because he has often been a supporter of BB & The Patriots in the past. If I remember correctly, he even picked the Pats to beat the Jints in the SB despite his career as an NFC player for the Iggles.  He also lamented our inability to put some pass rushing "heat" on "star" QBs like Orton.  What do you all think????????????????? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

Re: NFL Playbook - AFC Edition "BB's Defense is outdated and the league has caught up to it."

I think BB may be figuring out what he has for players and how to best utilize them, without getting burned in the process.  It's still early, but Baldy may have a point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

Re: NFL Playbook - AFC Edition "BB's Defense is outdated and the league has caught up to it."

In Response to NFL Playbook - AFC Edition "BB's Defense is outdated and the league has caught up to it.":
    I was watching NFL Ntework's AFC Playbook with Brian Baldinger, Shanon Sharp and Joe Theisman last night. Theisman & Sharp are picking the Patriots to win this week and "Baldy" is going with the Titans. His reasoning is that BB's "bend but don't break" defensive philosophy was "outdated" and the rest of the league has "figured it out." I was astounded to hear this from him because he has often been a supporter of BB & The Patriots in the past. If I remember correctly, he even picked the Pats to beat the Jints in the SB despite his career as an NFC player for the Iggles.  He also lamented our inability to put some pass rushing "heat" on "star" QBs like Orton.  What do you all think????????????????? 
    Posted by bradleyBliss

Its kept the scores pretty low. I think with one more playmaker on defense the Pats would be more shut down then bend but don't break. The Pats pass rush is so poor though that I think teams are going to figure out they only need four guys to block five or six players and tear the secondary apart, kind of like the Broncos did. BB is outdated until he gets some better players than he'll be a genius again. Defense isn't rocket science anyway.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

In Response to Re: NFL Playbook - AFC Edition "BB's Defense is outdated and the league has caught up to it.":
    In Response to NFL Playbook - AFC Edition "BB's Defense is outdated and the league has caught up to it." : Its kept the scores pretty low. I think with one more playmaker on defense the Pats would be more shut down then bend but don't break. The Pats pass rush is so poor though that I think teams are going to figure out they only need four guys to block five or six players and tear the secondary apart, kind of like the Broncos did. BB is outdated until he gets some better players than he'll be a genius again. Defense isn't rocket science anyway.
    Posted by TheFantasyBaron

I agree.

People are groaning about the D, but the numbers are pretty good.  With the loss of so many leaders/Pats' legends, I find the D coached well, with the exception of DBs playing 8 yards off the receivers at the end of games.  I hate that prevent crud.  It is not working. These teams score anyway, but the D is on the field for 90 yards and the Pats O is kept off of the field.

I am expecting this D to get noticeably better during the season as the new/young guys get into the groove. Not as confident about the O.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Put another 10 up in either game we lost, we dont lose.  We missed 10 easy in both those games.  Even Matt Cassel could put up more points than that.  The D bothers me a bit, not gettting off the field on 3rd and long, but Baldy is full of it.  There is no "figuring out" the bend but dont break.  Its not a trick.  Its taking away the big stuff and waiting for the other team to break down, letting the red area shorten the field if they dont break down, and keeping the points to a minimum.  Difference is, teams playing from in reach of us can be conservative.  Its why chad pennington used to do well against us, he is a short passing accurate qb.  Like Orton and Sanchez.  So, more O, and the D will be fine.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hog73. Show Hog73's posts

There has to be some truth to it, Blissman, but I don't think Bill has the quality of personnel that he's had in the past, either. Not to mention, the rules have changed considerably in recent years.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

That Pats aren't getting pressure on the QB, so it's not totally untrue.  Let's see what happens with Tenn.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

I had a thread in a very similar vein to this one, the point being that BB has to get more people to the passer if he/we want this D to remain elite.  However i'm really not convinced that his strategy has always been "bend dont break", in 03-04 that D was all attack, but the rules have really made physical play tough.  The league is def. trending towards smaller, quicker, attacking defenses imo. BB will adjust, he's too good a coach not to, but i'm not sure if hes got the players to get the job done right now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3839316. Show user_3839316's posts

In Response to Re: NFL Playbook - AFC Edition "BB's Defense is outdated and the league has caught up to it.Not really it's just go to are sb wins, we scored on offence.Yes its sick to watch but, prevent defence works with a good off.Otherwise you have to be pitts or giants with a great defence and okay off.Its the offence killing us.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

This would not be an issue if the O is putting together consistent, successfull, clock-killing TD drives. The D has been doing the job (17 points a game). The offense needs to step up big time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

It's all a matter of having the personel to execute.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JaeD. Show JaeD's posts

I agree with james.  The prevent type defense that bill likes to play works best when the other team is forced to limit their playcalling because of the score.  When teams are down they can't really run all of those long clock killing drives and they become more one dimensional.  As long as our offense fails to finish drives with td's our D is going to be middle of the road.  If Brady and co find a way to turn it up about two notches I think our D will really start to look dominant.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

If our offense averaged 20 points in our 2 losses, we would be 5-0. The D is not the 85 Bears but thats not why we lost twice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

BB has an entirely new backfield on the field.  He's starting linebackers with names like Guyton and Woods, and newbies like Myron Pryor are on the line.  BB is running his vanilla defense. 

In six more weeks that just won't be true.  In recent years BB has been working on everything from the 3-5-3 hybrid defense to the 5-2 run defense and the 1-6 hail mary defense.  It's not just the 3-4.  Expect more when all of the rooks and free agents get up to speed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Nonsense. The overall scheme of BB's defense is quite novel and sophisticated, especially compared to other defenses like the Tampa-2 that haven't changed in decades.

Even the "blitz" defenses that people gush over here are more aged from a straight conceptual POV. The same defense we see in New Jersey that has everyone ga-ga is the same defense NE would roast in the playoffs in the early 1990's against Pittsburgh, and that Brady would torch in the early 2000's.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

I dont think BILL has even used complex schemes in the last couple of years because of the horrible talent on the D. If you have bad players that can barely play in a normal scheme, you cant really do nething special... Its an equation, neither players or schemes make a defense, you need quality of both to be a good defense. I think the pats this year have talent on defense, and as the season progresses, i think we will see more complex types of defenses from the pats that we used to confuse the hell out of peyton manning back in the day...
    I think bill is trying to find the right type of defense to work with this team. Against baltimore, they used a pressure happy D which worked well, and against the broncos, we saw very passive D with not many blitzes which worked well for a half. I am no genius, but i think bill needs to make it more aggressive but not completely like it was against baltimore. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from simroy. Show simroy's posts

In Response to NFL Playbook - AFC Edition "BB's Defense is outdated and the league has caught up to it.":
    I was watching NFL Network's AFC Playbook with Brian Baldinger, Shanon Sharp and Joe Theisman last night. Theisman & Sharp are picking the Patriots to win this week and "Baldy" is going with the Titans. His reasoning is that BB's "bend but don't break" defensive philosophy was "outdated" and the rest of the league has "figured it out." I was astounded to hear this from him because he has often been a supporter of BB & The Patriots in the past. If I remember correctly, he even picked the Pats to beat the Jints in the SB despite his career as an NFC player for the Iggles.  He also lamented our inability to put some pass rushing "heat" on "star" QBs like Orton.  What do you all think????????????????? 
    Posted by bradleyBliss

Well the defense certainly "broke" last week, allowing 90 and 98 yard TD drives.  I understand BB must work with the personnel he's got, but doesn't he have a say with regard to who the Pats get?  For all we've been hearing about the offense, the D, IMHO has played all that well.  Yes, they've been in every game, but we've had alot of problems getting teams off the field on 3rd down - heck, Baltimore had a third and goal from the 20 and scored.  Perhaps throughout the year, the D will mesh, but I don't think our D is all that great, especially on the road.  Combined with below-average special team play:  give up alot of yards on kickoffs, can't down a punt inside the 20 routinely, below average return yards - it's no wonder we look to our offense to overcome these things and win games.  I'm being nit-picky I suppose, but heck I'm a New England/Boston sports fan - that's what we do.  In the end, these last 10 years (Sox, Pats, Celts) - have been pretty special and beat the heck out of the 20 years that preceded them - LOL :).  GO PATS

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

Anyone know who is responsible for picking the players on the team?

Since most agree that the bad Defense is due to the poor quality of it player's (we have to scheme around their inabilities thus "bend and brake", no pass rush and DB 12 yards off the line for the 5th year in a row).

Shouldn't the person who compiled this grouping of player be held accountable?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

In Response to Re: NFL Playbook - AFC Edition "BB's Defense is outdated and the league has caught up to it.":
    In Response to Re: NFL Playbook - AFC Edition "BB's Defense is outdated and the league has caught up to it." : I agree. People are groaning about the D, but the numbers are pretty good.  With the loss of so many leaders/Pats' legends, I find the D coached well, with the exception of DBs playing 8 yards off the receivers at the end of games.  I hate that prevent crud.  It is not working. These teams score anyway, but the D is on the field for 90 yards and the Pats O is kept off of the field. I am expecting this D to get noticeably better during the season as the new/young guys get into the groove. Not as confident about the O.
    Posted by chrisakawoody

inspite of giving up couple of 90+ yard drives in one game ??

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkindc. Show dkindc's posts

I don't remember if anyone mentioned it, but WEEI had a post from cold hard football facts about how that the passing defense has been going downhill since the superbowl champion days and that is the key predictor of winning championships.

I don't totally buy it - but there is something to it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

There has to be some truth to it, Blissman, but I don't think Bill has the quality of personnel that he's had in the past, either. Not to mention, the rules have changed considerably in recent years.
    Posted by Hog73

HOGGIE Ya Bastid!!!!!!!!!!! How the hell are you??????  I watched yesterday's game in a sports bar with dozens of Steeler fans. They could not believe how TFB was throwing in the slop.  Can't wait to see what Baldy has to say this week! Lots of Iggle fans singing the Blues this morning too! It was GREAT to hear Greenie singing the Blues on Mike & Mike this morning on ESPN, gotta love the bills! Can't stand that guy!!!!!!!!!!

Sections
Shortcuts