NFL Power Ratings

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

NFL Power Ratings

It may be hard to believe...but we have already reached the end of the first quarter of the 2010 NFL season. Having seen all the teams play, it appears that there are no super teams this season...and that the race for the SB is wide open in both conferences. Here are my ratings, along with a guess at each team's first round draft choices:

32.) Buffalo Bills (0-4, down from #29): If there is a worse team in the NFL, I haven't seen it. You know things are going down the toilet fast when your starting QB is released, just four games into the season...in favor of the immortal Ryan Fitzpatrick. But, the Bills need a season like this if they are to ever again evolve into a winning team. Buffalo must find a franchise QB. Finishing with the worst record in the league may land them one in the 2011 draft.
    Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford;

31.) Carolina Panthers (0-4, down from #18):
    Their opening day starting QB, Matt Moore, is now riding the pine due to various nicks, and general ineffectiveness. Taking his place is rookie Jimmy Clausen. He and his top WR, Steve Smith, have already gotten their wires crossed...which may effect their chemistry, provided that the injury prone Smith can ever get on the field. It was a bad sign early in the season when Smith told reporters that he no longer wished to be the team's #1 WR. That said, the Panthers still have a good rushing attack and a solid defense...so improvement may be possible as the season wears on. Still, the Patriots must be feeling pretty good about their 2010 draft day trade, in which they secured the Panthers' 2011 second round pick:
    A.J. Green, WR, Georgia.

30.) Arizona Cardinals (2-2, down from #24): Yes, they've won two games. But they should have lost toi the Raiders, and barely beat St. Louis. Meanwhile, both of their losses have been blow-outs. Yet another QB-less team, as boy wonder Matt Leinart has been jettisoned, and Derek Anderson has been benched. in favor of free agent rookie, Max Hall. YIKES!!
    Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas.

29.) Detroit Lions (0-4, down from #26): Theres' hope, as the Lions have lost several close games...and 3 of the 4 losses were on the road. Losing QB Matthew Stafford for 6 weeks with a shoulder injury was a major blow. But, back-up QB Shaun Hill has played well in relief. You would think that adding DT Ndamukong Suh would have improved their run defense. But, the Lions have surrendered an average of 134 yards per game, ranking 25th in the league. Their pass defense has been no better, ranking 26th overall.
    Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU.

28.) Oakland Raiders (1-3, down from #20): Even the addition of Richard Seymour had not helped the Raiders to stop the run, as they rank 31st in the NFL in run defense...which means either that Seymour's game has grossly deteriorated, the other members of the Raiders' front 7 are awful, or a combination of the two. Qb Rob Gradkowski has taken over for the ineffective Jason Campbell. Though RB Darren McFadden had gotten off to a great start, he recently twiqued his hamstring...which is a sign that the injury prone star will have his difficulties playing at full strength for the remainder of the season.
    Pick by New England Patriots: Marcel Dareus, DE, Alabama;

27.) San Francisco 49ers (0-4, down from #15): QB problems are the main culprit, as the 49ers have mislaid they faith in Alex Smith. Bet they'd like to have Shaun Hill back. Their passing offense has been so poor, that teams have resorted to playing 8 in the box against them, trying to take away RB Frank Gore. So far, so good, as the 49ers rank 28th in the league in rushing yards. 
    Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, North Carolina;

26.) Cleveland Browns (1-3, up from #30):
    With Jake DelHomme and Seneca Wallace on the menu at QB, is there any wonder why the Browns are struggling? Give credit to Eric Mangini for keeping his team competitive in every game thus far...no small feat considering what he has at QB:
    Jake Locker, QB, Washington;

25.) Seattle Seahawks: (2-2, up from #27): The Seahawks rank near the bottom of the league in nearly every department. Save for a Herculean effort by KR  Leon Washington, they would be 1-3. Were badly beaten by the n ot so mighty St. Louis Rams last week:
    Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska;

24.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: (2-1, up from #28): Too early to tell how much this team has improved. Much rides on the progression of QB Josh Freeman. After beating two of the cupcakes listed above, were dismantled by the Steelers at home in their last outing:
    Allen Bailey, DE, Miami;

23.) Jacksonville Jaguars: (2-2, no change): Though the Jags have been horrible in pass defense and not much better at QB, they were edged out by the Rams for this spot, since the Rams play in the pathetically weak NFL West. The Jags are still capable of pulling off a surprise every now and then, as they showed last week against the Colts. 
    Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh;

22.) St. Louis Rams: (2-2, up from #32):
    QB Sam Bradford looks like the real deal. It's mind boggling to think that, after such a horrid 2009 season, that the Rams could actually win this joke of a division.
    Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama;

21.) Tennessee Titans: (2-2, down from #14): Vince Young has not been getting it done...as the Titans are 30th in the league in passing. Not good, considering that their main competition in the AFC South is Peyton Manning's passing carnival. 
    Travis Lewis, OLB, Oklahoma;

20.) Denver Broncos: (2-2, up from #22): The Broncos are the 32nd in the league in rushing. That's right...the worst in the NFL. Got to tip your hat to Josh McDaniels for keeping his ship afloat, despite all the injuries:
    Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa;

19.) Chicago Bears (up from #31): The Bears have been the league's luckiest team. But, after the NY Giants repeatedly body-slammed Jay Cutler, things may change. Julius Peppers has been worth every dime thus far to the Bears' defense:
    Anthony Castanzo, OT, Boston College;

18.) Kansas City Chiefs (3-0, up from #25): Yeah, I know...how can you rate an undefeated team so low? Well...look who they played. They snuck up on the Chargers at home on opening night, edged Cleveland on the road, and ripped the winless 49ers at home. But, the Chiefs rank 27th in the league in passing. In today's NFL, that's not going to get it done. We'll get a better line on the Chiefs after they tangle with the Colts in Indy:
    Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State;

17.) Miami Dolphins (2-2, down from #9): After losing back to back home games to divisional rivals, the Jets and Patriots, there's some serious soul searching going on in Sun City. The flashy hood ornament theory espoused by the authors of the Cold, Hard Football Facts may be holding true, as Miami has yet to find a way to best make use of thoroughbred WR, Brandon Marshall. What has happened to the Dolphins' running game? Does rookie DE Jared Odrick mean that much to their run defense? Apparently so:
    Cameron Heyward, DT, Ohio State;

16.) Philadelphia Eagles: (2-2, up from #19): Injuries at the QB position has prevented the potentially explosive Philly offense from gaining any traction. The Philly front seven has been unable to stop the run, as their "D" ranks 27th in the league in that category. The Eagles are 0-2 at home. Andy Reid cannot be happy:
    Brandon Harris, CB, Miami 

15.) Washington Redskins (2-2, up from #17): Somehow, some way, the 'Skins have willed their way past the Cowboys and Eagles. But, they are 31st in the league in pass defense...so don't expect them to be serious contenders in the NFC East:
    Julio Jones, WR, Alabama;

14.) Cincinnati Bengals: (2-2, holding at #14): Horrible loss at Cleveland last week nearly negates their huge home win over the Ravens. Carson Palmer looks nothing like the stud QB his was prior to his catastrophic knee injury:  
    Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State:

13.) New York Giants: (2-2, down from #6):
    Giants looked their best thus far with a win over the Bears. But, big deal. They lost to the Titans at home, and were embarrassed by the Colts in Indy. This is a team in dire need of a signature win:
    Donta' Hightower, LB, Alabama;

12.) Minnesota Vikings: (1-2, down from #5): Forty-one year old QB Brett Favre's ankle is hurting, his passing arm is hurting, and his ego is hurting, after his romantic advances were rebuffed by a secretary. Favre is supposedly under league investigation for lewd conduct, including sending alleged text photos of his private parts to this woman. More than the Randy Moss and the New York Jets may be on his mind when his teams raids Gotham in prime time:
    Janoris Jenkins, CB, Florida;

11.) Dallas Cowboys: (1-2, down from #9): Huge road win for the Cowboys last time out at Houston. With the rest of their divisional rivals stubbing their toes early, the Cowboys were not hurt by their 0-2 start. Their passing game appears to be jelling. Now, if only they can get some production from their running game...:
    DeAndre McDaniel, DB, Clemson;

10.) Atlanta Falcons: (3-1, up from #21):
    Have won back to back nail-biters against the Saints and 49ers...and really should have lost to the 49ers. To early to say how good the Falcons will be...but I expect the Cowboys to pass them soon:
    De'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson;

9.) New England Patriots (3-1, down from #8): It will be interesting to see how the defensively challenged Patriots fare without Randy Moss. In their next six games the Pats play Baltimore, @ San Diego, Minnesota, @ Cleveland, @ Pittsburgh, and finally, against the hated Colts. Tip your hat to BB and the boys if they can come away from these games with anything better than a split. But, having the 28th rated pass defense in the league makes that a very tall order:
    Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA;

8.) San Diego Chargers (2-2), up from #13): But for some poor special teams play, the Chargers would be 4-0. The Chargers are 3rd in the league in passing, and 4th in the league against the pass. Though those are pretty strong stats, it's also true that the Bolts haven't played anybody yet...unless you want to count the Chiefs as a somebody. The Pats will get their chance to prove they're the better club when they travel to San Diego in a couple of weeks:
    Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn;

7.) New Orleans Saints (3-1, down from #3): Thus far, the Saints look nothing like the offensive whirlwind that tore through NFL defenses last season. Nor has their defense been nearly as proficient in creating turnovers. You sense that the emotion which drove this team like a tidal-wave forward isn't what it was last year. But, the season is still young: 
    Bruce Carter, OLB, North Carolina;

6.) Houston Texans (3-1, up from #16): 
    The Texans lead the league in rushing, and are 2nd in the league in run defense. When WR Andre Johnson is healthy, and LT Duane Brown comes back from three more absences due to suspension, their passing attack is almost as good as their running attack. But, the fly in the ointment has been a tepid pass-rush, and a weak secondary, resulting in the worst pass defense in the NFL. But, in fairness to the Texans, they've faced some good teams in Dallas, Indianapolis, and Washington.
    Aaron Williams, CB, Texas;  

5.) Green Bay Packers (3-1, down from #2):
    Need to see a bit more consistency from the Pack before I move them back into the top 5. They are 24th in the NFL in rushing, and 22nd in stopping the run. With each passing week, the Packers look like the NFC's answer to the Indianapolis Colts:
    Ryan Williams, RB, Virginia Tech;

4.) Baltimore Ravens (3-1, no change): 
    Huge win in Pittsburgh...and handed the Jets their only loss thus far. While their offense has been mediocre, their defense is #1 against the pass...perhaps the most telling statistic in football. Very physical team that wears an opponent down...much like a great body puncher in a prize fight. Should their offense improve, so will their power rating position:
    Joseph Barksdale, OT, LSU;

3.) Indianapolis Colts (2-2, down from #1): Injuries are beginning to take their toll on Indy. Their secondary is a mess, without Bob Sanders and Melvin Bullitt...who are both out for the year. WRs Austin Collie and Pierre Garcon have played a game of tag on the injury list...with Collie now having to bow out. Fellow WR Anthony Gonzalez can't stay healthy. Their run defense is awful, and their running game only slightly better. So...what keeps Indy on top? Perhaps the greatest regular season QB in football history manages that. Still, you get the distinct feeling that the window of opportunity is finally closing on the Colts:
    Mike Pouncey, G, Florida;

2.) New York Jets (3-1, up from #12): Have to be impressed with Rex Ryan's Jets. Their offense is purring, with LT running the ball like he did 5 years ago, and QB Mark Sanchez seemingly coming of age. Their "D' only gets better when CB Darrelle Revis returns. But, the Jets are relying on several older players, such as Tomlinson and Jason Taylor. They also are relying on questionable character guys such as Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, and Antonio Cromartie. But, if Ryan can continue to steer a steady course, and Sanchez's knees hold up, the Jets could make a run at a SB:
    Cameron Jordan, DE/DT, California;

1.) Pittsburgh Steelers (3-1, up from #7): With Ben Roethlisburger back, and their defense playing in vintage 2008 championship form, whose going to stop the Goths? Again, the Cold Hard Football Facts shiny hood ornament theory seems to hold water, as Pittsburgh has not missed Santonio Holmes. Of course, injuries can be the great equalizer. Time will tell: 
    Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: NFL Power Ratings

i think the patriots are at least in the top 5.

you think Brandon Harris will go on the first round? I've watched all the Miami games this year and seen him play good, but he's still a junior and has some way to go before he's a top flight DB.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

How could the only undefeated team not be in the top 10? (JK)

Jets are about 7 or 8 spots too high. I'd rank the Seahawks, Titans, and Chiefs higher than where you have them currently.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotway1. Show patriotway1's posts

No, your list is completely wrong

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

Another OLBer? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Very trollish, ranking the jerks and the colts ahead of the Pats.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: NFL Power Ratings:
    [QUOTE]Very trollish, ranking the jerks and the colts ahead of the Pats.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

Being objective does not equal being a troll, Mighty One. How can I rank the Pats ahead of the Jets, when the Jets beat them?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Every day I wake up and thank whatever gods there are that I am not as cripplingly self-indulgent as some people on the internet.

Undecided

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Were all just streams of  1000101010101001010

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]No, your list is completely wrong
    Posted by patriotway1[/QUOTE]

Okay...what's wrong with it?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]Were all just streams of  1000101010101001010
    Posted by Tcal2[/QUOTE]

LOL, cal!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mnp3a. Show mnp3a's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: NFL Power Ratings :      Being objective does not equal being a troll, Mighty One. How can I rank the Pats ahead of the Jets, when the Jets beat them?
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

=|

well ....  you still put jets and steelers ahead of the ravens, so which way is it????

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: NFL Power Ratings : =| well ....  you still put jets and steelers ahead of the ravens, so which way is it????
    Posted by mnp3a[/QUOTE]

Never mind that the Ravens beat both those teams.

Never let actual reality cloud your analysis.

Cool

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Texas not bad. I'm not sure if I'd toss SD and the Colts above the Pats right now. Here's my logic behind that. The Colts are in the same position as the Pats. Their D is horrible but the are 2-2 and the Pats are 3-1. The Pats also have a young D that will only get better as the season progresses but, I don't see Indy's D recovering to tell you the truth. As far as SD well you might say for ST's but I see it as a 1/3 of the game. They might be a great pass prevent and a great passing team but given that the teams they played (KC, Jax, Seahawks, and Arizona) are in the bottom 3rd of passing yards and defended passing yards those stats might be a bit misleading. In the end they are still a 2-2 team after playing 3 .500 teams (2 of which are in arguable the weakest division in the NFL) is pretty telling.

The Jets have a way of looking great at the beginning of the season and failing apart (Except for a couple lay down games last season they wouldn't have made the playoffs). For now I'd toss them in the top 5 ahead of the Pats but I'd keep my eye on them. To me right now Packers, Steelers, and Ravens are in the top 3. I have a toss up between the Texans and Jets for 4/5 and Pats at 6 followed by Saints, Colts, KC, then SD to round out the top 10

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

You can't have the Colts in the top 5 based on this year's performance.  I'd have the Ravens #2.  Otherwise pretty accurate.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In defense of TexPat the analysis is after four games.  The landscape will change.  I don't know how you can drop the Pats after a huge win at Miami though.  After all, we don't know how the Pats will play without Moss.  Will they rise to the occasion or fold?  It's yet to be determined.

I would not have Indy that high.  Two division losses.  Ouch!  This means they are very vulnerable.

San Diego, will the special teams continue their output?  Is that their demise?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I’m moving to lessen the impacts of bad blowouts.  I’m coming around to the feeling that huge blowouts prove not that the overdog is super-team, but often that the other team either gave up early and completely or they panicked for whatever reason (the flu, their quarterback broke up with his girlfriend…), and so the overdog got a free ride on the cheap.  For example, during the snowy Tennessee game, not only was Tennessee on a long losing streak but the Southerners were utterly unprepared for playing in snow in October.  The Tennessee coach put on a Colts jersey in disgust. 

I discover that with the change, most of the strong teams are still strong and most of the weak teams are still weak.  New Orleans was a big loser because they amassed big blowouts in the playoffs last year and one blowout in preseason.  Minnesota had monster wins in the playoffs but has shown nothing consistently this year.  A number of young but fairly good teams benefited by having the weights of their own past 2009 shameful games lifted a bit.  Indy didn’t blow too many teams out late in 2009 but they did win against strong teams.  Detroit deserves worse because they have been pretty consistent in their nothingness.  Seattle blew out San Francisco for one game, but this blowout now seems more of an “any given Sunday” outlier.  Arizona seems to partly have been victimized by relative drops in the power ratings of divisional foes San Francisco and Seattle.

My traditional power rating   versus   My new anti-blowout rating, for week 5:

Old            New

1          nyj            13.2            13.0

2          ne            12.9            13.0 (still #2 in the ratings.  Don’t take small fluctuations seriously).

3          bal            12.3            12.3

4          pit            11.7            11.7

5          sd            11.4            10.9

6          gb            10.9            10.8

7          ind            10.8            11.3    Beneficiary

8          phi            10.8            10.7

9          no            10.6            9.6            Loser

10        atl            9.8            10.0

11        kc            9.6            10.3            Beneficiary

12        dal            9.4            9.3

13        min            9.3            8.5            Loser

14        cin            9.0            9.4

15        den            8.6            8.5

16        ten            8.4            8.4

17        hou            8.2            9.3            Beneficiary

18        cle            7.7            7.9

19        was            7.3            7.1

20        mia            7.0            7.0

21        chi            6.7            6.8

22        stl            5.9            5.5

23        tb            5.8            6.5            Beneficiary

24        sf            5.7            6.1

25        car            5.4            5.6

26        nyg            5.4            5.8

27        buf            4.3            4.2

28        sea            4.3            3.5            Loser

29        jac            3.8            4.0

30        az            3.4            2.7            Loser

31        oak            3.3            3.7

32        det            3.2            2.6            Loser

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

paul k, what's the lowest the pats have ever been in your power ranking? they seem to be at or near the top regardless of circumstances.
    no one here thinks the pats are a top five team right now

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I think I would put NE ahead of SD. 

But I think the problem is that the top 10 teams all have flaws.

This season has a wide open feeling. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I think the Pats are a top 5 team, If they had gotten rid of Moss at the beginning of the season, the Pats would be the other undefeated team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]How could the only undefeated team not be in the top 10? (JK) Jets are about 7 or 8 spots too high. I'd rank the Seahawks, Titans, and Chiefs higher than where you have them currently.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]
    The Chiefs are done.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cousteau. Show cousteau's posts

[QUOTE]I think the Pats are a top 5 team, If they had gotten rid of Moss at the beginning of the season, the Pats would be the other undefeated team.
    Posted by rtuinila[/QUOTE]...until they beat a team in the top five, they are not. If If whatever.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Texas not bad. I'm not sure if I'd toss SD and the Colts above the Pats right now. Here's my logic behind that. The Colts are in the same position as the Pats. Their D is horrible but the are 2-2 and the Pats are 3-1. The Pats also have a young D that will only get better as the season progresses but, I don't see Indy's D recovering to tell you the truth. As far as SD well you might say for ST's but I see it as a 1/3 of the game. They might be a great pass prevent and a great passing team but given that the teams they played (KC, Jax, Seahawks, and Arizona) are in the bottom 3rd of passing yards and defended passing yards those stats might be a bit misleading. In the end they are still a 2-2 team after playing 3 .500 teams (2 of which are in arguable the weakest division in the NFL) is pretty telling. The Jets have a way of looking great at the beginning of the season and failing apart (Except for a couple lay down games last season they wouldn't have made the playoffs). For now I'd toss them in the top 5 ahead of the Pats but I'd keep my eye on them. To me right now Packers, Steelers, and Ravens are in the top 3. I have a toss up between the Texans and Jets for 4/5 and Pats at 6 followed by Saints, Colts, KC, then SD to round out the top 10
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

As for why I have Indy and SD ahead of the Pats...as things stand now, the Pats "D" is 28th in the league against the pass. I fear that Manning and Rivers will have field days against their "D". Hope I'm wrong.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

Who cares? Read the papers and yo have 20 top 10 rankings.  It is an opinion, based on nothing other than that.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Power rankings are kind of a silly idea because team quality isn't linear.  In a head-to-head match-up team A may be better than team B.  But team B could be better than team A when both are matched against team C. Plus there are all the vagaries of game planning; even if A is better than B, when the two play, B may have a game plan that A wasn't expecting. You could say that makes A worse because they didn't guess right, but next time A and B play, A will be ready and will handily beat B.  This kind of thing happens all the time early in the season when teams are still trying to figure each other out.

A better approach might be to classify teams into a five groups. Maybe something like:
    • Teams that look like they can beat almost anyone
    • Teams that are dangerous and could contend, but will need a bit of luck to go far in the playoffs
    • Teams that are okay, but are borderline to make the playoffs and probably won't go far if they do make the playoffs
    • Teams that will struggle all season to stay at 500
    • Teams that look like doormats
    I guess I could try to classify all the teams - - - but I'm already bored by this.  I'd rather watch games.