NFL Power Ratings

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: NFL Power Ratings

i think the patriots are at least in the top 5.

you think Brandon Harris will go on the first round? I've watched all the Miami games this year and seen him play good, but he's still a junior and has some way to go before he's a top flight DB.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

How could the only undefeated team not be in the top 10? (JK)

Jets are about 7 or 8 spots too high. I'd rank the Seahawks, Titans, and Chiefs higher than where you have them currently.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotway1. Show patriotway1's posts

No, your list is completely wrong

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

Another OLBer? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Very trollish, ranking the jerks and the colts ahead of the Pats.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Every day I wake up and thank whatever gods there are that I am not as cripplingly self-indulgent as some people on the internet.

Undecided

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Were all just streams of  1000101010101001010

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In Response to Re: NFL Power Ratings:
    Were all just streams of  1000101010101001010
    Posted by Tcal2

LOL, cal!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mnp3a. Show mnp3a's posts

In Response to Re: NFL Power Ratings :      Being objective does not equal being a troll, Mighty One. How can I rank the Pats ahead of the Jets, when the Jets beat them?
    Posted by TexasPat3

=|

well ....  you still put jets and steelers ahead of the ravens, so which way is it????

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: NFL Power Ratings : =| well ....  you still put jets and steelers ahead of the ravens, so which way is it????
    Posted by mnp3a

Never mind that the Ravens beat both those teams.

Never let actual reality cloud your analysis.

Cool

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Texas not bad. I'm not sure if I'd toss SD and the Colts above the Pats right now. Here's my logic behind that. The Colts are in the same position as the Pats. Their D is horrible but the are 2-2 and the Pats are 3-1. The Pats also have a young D that will only get better as the season progresses but, I don't see Indy's D recovering to tell you the truth. As far as SD well you might say for ST's but I see it as a 1/3 of the game. They might be a great pass prevent and a great passing team but given that the teams they played (KC, Jax, Seahawks, and Arizona) are in the bottom 3rd of passing yards and defended passing yards those stats might be a bit misleading. In the end they are still a 2-2 team after playing 3 .500 teams (2 of which are in arguable the weakest division in the NFL) is pretty telling.

The Jets have a way of looking great at the beginning of the season and failing apart (Except for a couple lay down games last season they wouldn't have made the playoffs). For now I'd toss them in the top 5 ahead of the Pats but I'd keep my eye on them. To me right now Packers, Steelers, and Ravens are in the top 3. I have a toss up between the Texans and Jets for 4/5 and Pats at 6 followed by Saints, Colts, KC, then SD to round out the top 10

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

You can't have the Colts in the top 5 based on this year's performance.  I'd have the Ravens #2.  Otherwise pretty accurate.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In defense of TexPat the analysis is after four games.  The landscape will change.  I don't know how you can drop the Pats after a huge win at Miami though.  After all, we don't know how the Pats will play without Moss.  Will they rise to the occasion or fold?  It's yet to be determined.

I would not have Indy that high.  Two division losses.  Ouch!  This means they are very vulnerable.

San Diego, will the special teams continue their output?  Is that their demise?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I’m moving to lessen the impacts of bad blowouts.  I’m coming around to the feeling that huge blowouts prove not that the overdog is super-team, but often that the other team either gave up early and completely or they panicked for whatever reason (the flu, their quarterback broke up with his girlfriend…), and so the overdog got a free ride on the cheap.  For example, during the snowy Tennessee game, not only was Tennessee on a long losing streak but the Southerners were utterly unprepared for playing in snow in October.  The Tennessee coach put on a Colts jersey in disgust. 

I discover that with the change, most of the strong teams are still strong and most of the weak teams are still weak.  New Orleans was a big loser because they amassed big blowouts in the playoffs last year and one blowout in preseason.  Minnesota had monster wins in the playoffs but has shown nothing consistently this year.  A number of young but fairly good teams benefited by having the weights of their own past 2009 shameful games lifted a bit.  Indy didn’t blow too many teams out late in 2009 but they did win against strong teams.  Detroit deserves worse because they have been pretty consistent in their nothingness.  Seattle blew out San Francisco for one game, but this blowout now seems more of an “any given Sunday” outlier.  Arizona seems to partly have been victimized by relative drops in the power ratings of divisional foes San Francisco and Seattle.

My traditional power rating   versus   My new anti-blowout rating, for week 5:

Old            New

1          nyj            13.2            13.0

2          ne            12.9            13.0 (still #2 in the ratings.  Don’t take small fluctuations seriously).

3          bal            12.3            12.3

4          pit            11.7            11.7

5          sd            11.4            10.9

6          gb            10.9            10.8

7          ind            10.8            11.3    Beneficiary

8          phi            10.8            10.7

9          no            10.6            9.6            Loser

10        atl            9.8            10.0

11        kc            9.6            10.3            Beneficiary

12        dal            9.4            9.3

13        min            9.3            8.5            Loser

14        cin            9.0            9.4

15        den            8.6            8.5

16        ten            8.4            8.4

17        hou            8.2            9.3            Beneficiary

18        cle            7.7            7.9

19        was            7.3            7.1

20        mia            7.0            7.0

21        chi            6.7            6.8

22        stl            5.9            5.5

23        tb            5.8            6.5            Beneficiary

24        sf            5.7            6.1

25        car            5.4            5.6

26        nyg            5.4            5.8

27        buf            4.3            4.2

28        sea            4.3            3.5            Loser

29        jac            3.8            4.0

30        az            3.4            2.7            Loser

31        oak            3.3            3.7

32        det            3.2            2.6            Loser

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

paul k, what's the lowest the pats have ever been in your power ranking? they seem to be at or near the top regardless of circumstances.
    no one here thinks the pats are a top five team right now

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I think I would put NE ahead of SD. 

But I think the problem is that the top 10 teams all have flaws.

This season has a wide open feeling. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I think the Pats are a top 5 team, If they had gotten rid of Moss at the beginning of the season, the Pats would be the other undefeated team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

How could the only undefeated team not be in the top 10? (JK) Jets are about 7 or 8 spots too high. I'd rank the Seahawks, Titans, and Chiefs higher than where you have them currently.
    Posted by KyleCleric2

The Chiefs are done.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

Who cares? Read the papers and yo have 20 top 10 rankings.  It is an opinion, based on nothing other than that.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Power rankings are kind of a silly idea because team quality isn't linear.  In a head-to-head match-up team A may be better than team B.  But team B could be better than team A when both are matched against team C. Plus there are all the vagaries of game planning; even if A is better than B, when the two play, B may have a game plan that A wasn't expecting. You could say that makes A worse because they didn't guess right, but next time A and B play, A will be ready and will handily beat B.  This kind of thing happens all the time early in the season when teams are still trying to figure each other out.

A better approach might be to classify teams into a five groups. Maybe something like:
    • Teams that look like they can beat almost anyone
    • Teams that are dangerous and could contend, but will need a bit of luck to go far in the playoffs
    • Teams that are okay, but are borderline to make the playoffs and probably won't go far if they do make the playoffs
    • Teams that will struggle all season to stay at 500
    • Teams that look like doormats
    I guess I could try to classify all the teams - - - but I'm already bored by this.  I'd rather watch games.

Sections
Shortcuts