NFL practice squads expand to 10 players

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

By NFL
    The NFL has issued the following press release on Tuesday, August 19, 2014.
    The NFL and the NFL Players Association have agreed to expand NFL Practice Squads for the 2014 and 2015 seasons. Absent an extension of the agreement, the current rules will be reinstated beginning with the 2016 season.

Under the agreement, 2014 and 2015 Practice Squads will increase from the current maximum of eight players to 10 players.

In addition, the criteria for Practice Squad eligibility has been expanded in two respects.

First, a player must have a minimum of six games – up from the current three games – on a Practice Squad in order for that season to count as one of the player’s three permissible seasons of Practice Squad service.

Second, each club will be permitted to sign a maximum of two Practice Squad players who have earned no more than two accrued seasons of free agency credit. Absent this exception, a player who has earned one or more accrued seasons would not be eligible for a Practice Squad unless the player spent fewer than nine games on a club’s 46-player active list in each of his accrued seasons.

All other practice squad rules under Article 33 of the 2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement will remain in effect during the 2014 and 2015 seasons.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: NFL practice squads expand to 10 players

I don't know whether this is good or bad for the Patriots.  On one hand, it's nice to have the extra PS guys, but it also gives teams a little more space to steal players.  Might make it harder to sneak guys through.  We'll see how it works out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't know whether this is good or bad for the Patriots.  On one hand, it's nice to have the extra PS guys, but it also gives teams a little more space to steal players.  Might make it harder to sneak guys through.  We'll see how it works out.

[/QUOTE]

Good point. It could help some teams but also hurt teams with a lot of depth who want to keep a guy on PS.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

If you take a guy off someone’s PS you have to sign them to your active roster so not sure what you mean by stealing. Basically it's 64 more guys contributing to the Players Union. I'm sure the owners are using this to angle for the 2 extra games down the road.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you take a guy off someone’s PS you have to sign them to your active roster so not sure what you mean by stealing. Basically it's 64 more guys contributing to the Players Union. I'm sure the owners are using this to angle for the 2 extra games down the road.

[/QUOTE]
    They are… they are also using this to protect their Thursdy night TV package and positioning to keep all 4 pre-season games which are non revenue sharing games I think.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think he means with the two extra spots, they won't be as valuable to teams with a lot of depth because certain players will be signed to other teams 53 man rosters. I agree with you on the owners possibly using this as an angle.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think he means with the two extra spots, they won't be as valuable to teams with a lot of depth because certain players will be signed to other teams 53 man rosters. I agree with you on the owners possibly using this as an angle.

[/QUOTE]

That's what I was getting at.  I'll use Finch as a hypothetical example.  If a team was on the fence about keeping one of their RBs on the active roster, they might use one if the 2 extra spots to try and slide their own RB to their PS, and sign a guy like Finch who they like the upside of.  Of course NE could do this with other teams players, too.  It isn't a big deal, just a thought I had

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

I am surprised this has taken so long.  Bout time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealBustchise. Show TheRealBustchise's posts

Looks like BB will be scanning the IR for more guys to pay to be hurt.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to TheRealBustchise's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LOL!!

classic!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/19/jets-place-rookie-receiver-shaq-evans-on-injured-reserve/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealBustchise. Show TheRealBustchise's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TheRealBustchise's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LOL!!

classic!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/19/jets-place-rookie-receiver-shaq-evans-on-injured-reserve/" rel="nofollow">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/19/jets-place-rookie-receiver-shaq-evans-on-injured-reserve/

[/QUOTE]

Yes, Queenie, "classic!"  "LOL" "LOL" ... why again?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Yes, it is about time. 

One thing I would like to see is some protection for the ps players as well. Frankly I don't get the current rule. If a team pays a player whether ps or active and they are under contract, why should another team be able to sign them? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes, it is about time. 

One thing I would like to see is some protection for the ps players as well. Frankly I don't get the current rule. If a team pays a player whether ps or active and they are under contract, why should another team be able to sign them? 

[/QUOTE]

I would not mind a 2 positional designation.  I think OL and DL would work. It allows the team to protect itself at the most important area due to injury.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

BB will use this is stash more players in future seasons. For a team like us who can make the most out of undervalued and overlooked players, this is really good news.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes, it is about time. 

[/QUOTE]

It gives PS players a better chance of making a real roster.  Also, the PS system creates a pool of players that any team can draw on, so there's a downside that you could lose a guy you like from your own squad, but there's also an upside that you can pull someone off another team's squad if you have an injury in a position where you don't have  a good back up on your regular roster or your own practice squad. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

There are many good players in the league that need development and the PS is 1 step in this process especially since the NFL does not have a developmental league. Also, from a positional standpoint, young UDFA / late round QB's frequently need development and now teams will have more space to carry them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

With the concussion protocol and injuries that pile up these days, they should switch it to a 58 man roster and 10 PSquad players

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I see a whole lot of robbing, stealing, and ultimately dejected coaches in the upcoming days. 

Sections
Shortcuts