NFL Reseeding the playoffs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from elmatador1225. Show elmatador1225's posts

NFL Reseeding the playoffs?

The big topic on Wildcard weekend is the seeding of playoff teams.  As many know this is due to the Seahawks (7-9) hosting a playoff game against the Saints (11-5).  Many think that there should be a reseeding in the playoff picture, for instance lets look at the AFC playoff picture.  Both the Colts and Chiefs are hosting games this weekend, though both teams have a worse record than their opponent.  Some have discussed the possibility of reseeding according to record.  So if your team wins the division they are in the playoffs, but could slip as low as the 6th seed based on their overall record. 

Personally I say leave the system alone.  It isn't broke so don't fix it.  The only reason that this is being brought to attention is because for the first time in NFL history a losing team won their division.  I feel that if we go to a system such as the NBA, we lose the great division battles during the year.  You eliminate the big division battles that we see on Sunday's.  What is the reward for winning your division?  I say leave it the way it is, you win the division you should get a spot in the top four.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

Re: NFL Reseeding the playoffs?

In Response to NFL Reseeding the playoffs?:
    [QUOTE]The big topic on Wildcard weekend is the seeding of playoff teams.  As many know this is due to the Seahawks (7-9) hosting a playoff game against the Saints (11-5).  Many think that there should be a reseeding in the playoff picture, for instance lets look at the AFC playoff picture.  Both the Colts and Chiefs are hosting games this weekend, though both teams have a worse record than their opponent.  Some have discussed the possibility of reseeding according to record.  So if your team wins the division they are in the playoffs, but could slip as low as the 6th seed based on their overall record.  Personally I say leave the system alone.  It isn't broke so don't fix it.  The only reason that this is being brought to attention is because for the first time in NFL history a losing team won their division.  I feel that if we go to a system such as the NBA, we lose the great division battles during the year.  You eliminate the big division battles that we see on Sunday's.  What is the reward for winning your division?  I say leave it the way it is, you win the division you should get a spot in the top four.
    Posted by elmatador1225[/QUOTE]

Tony "Holier Than Thou" Dungy actually said something about this that I happen to agree with- "If you want to host a playoff game, win your division"

If the teams traveling to a "lesser" opponent's home are really superior then they should have no problem winning the game, regardless of where it's played.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

patsfan is right....   if the division winner, just by winning the division, hosts a game and has a lesser record than the visiting team, who may also be considered the better team, that visiting team should have no problems knocking off that "division winner"! The good teams bubble to the top most times.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In Response to Re: NFL Reseeding the playoffs?:
    [QUOTE]patsfan is right....   if the division winner, just by winning the division, hosts a game and has a lesser record than the visiting team, who may also be considered the better team, that visiting team should have no problems knocking off that "division winner"! The good teams bubble to the top most times.
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

Amen to this. Winning your division should account for SOMETHING in a 6 team playoff (with byes for #1 & 2 seeds). The wild card is the reward for NOT winning your division. Why heap another "award" onto it? If they're the better team, and record-wise they should be, it shouldn't be a factor. Maybe the JESTS! will buy into NOT winning their game this weekend due to the Gang in Section 209. Or the Ravens bichin' about getting some bad BBQ in KC.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Over time these things have a way of evening themselves out.

Sure, it's easy to bust on the NFC West right now, but it probably (hopefully . . .   maybe) won't be horrible forever. Without even bothering to check, I'm going to go ahead and guess that there's been a wildcard team with a better record than a division winner almost every year. Teams that do well in competitive divisions have little to fear from from the Seattles and K.C.'s of the world. The only downside is that a team like . . .   oh, let's say . . .   New Jersey (green) . . .   won't see the revenue from a home playoff game because they inhabit a division that is ruled by a ruthless, apparently immortal behemoth.

That's unfortunate for any team in that situation (and its fans), but its hardly a reason to make knee-jerk concessions simply because the rules look more silly than usual this particular season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

I could give a crap about reseeding. You get what you get.

I do care that a very bad team record-wise is in the playoffs. The playoffs are supposed to be the best teams playing the best football. If the best a division can muster is a 7-9 team, then the division loses out on having a rep for the playoffs and the extra spot goes to a wildcard. Then seed by the three real winners of their division and then by record of the 3 WC teams. 

Easy peasy. No muss, no fuss.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Losing teams don't belong in the playoffs.

Neither do .500 teams

It's more of a reflection of how much your division s*cks than it is a reflection of winning "when it matters" because teams with more wins "won when it mattered" more often and got screwed

I don't think that the whole playoff system should be seeded.  Keep it the way it is, but add an exception where the top wild-card team gets the 4-seed instead of the team from a terrible division that won the division with a losing or .500 record (the next two teams get the next two wild card spots and the winner-of-a-terrible-division is eligible for one of those two remaining wild card spots instead)

Sections
Shortcuts